• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 is 30 fps on consoles, uncapped on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
there is no excuse to have 30 FPS on consoles, especially every other shooters like COD, Battlefield, Halo 5, Overwatch... all target 60 FPS

It was ok on the first game since it was on last gen game as well. but now there is no excuse.
I remember they had difficulty even hitting 1080p on Xbone before MS engineers went there to help them out

I could imagine that getting the original PS4 and Xbox One to run Destiny 2 at 60 fps would mean it looks worse graphically than Destiny 1, and having a sequel look worse than its predecessor is probably a no go.
The first game ran at a locked 30 on last gen consoles. You can't tell me a sequel to a cross gen game can't target 30fps. And if we're to believe Destiny 2 is still running on a version of Halo's engine, there's even less of an excuse since 343 was able to pull off a game that ran at 60 and looked arguably better than Destiny visually. This is a poor comparison, but the fact remains 60fps should have been the target regardless of graphic sacrifices.

jelly

It's true, they can't just flick a switch to 60fps, the game has to be designed with it in mind rather than the brute force PC way and Bungie decided not to. Time, content creation probably doesn't help them but same goes for other devs. History shows, Bungie are messy, 60fps was probably never on the cards because they had other things to deal with.

molnizzle

God fucking damn it.

I dsperately wanted 60fps on at least PS4 Pro and Scorpio.

...and before any idiots try and tell me that couldn't happen because of "parity" or some dumb shit, I'll remind you that Pro players already have an advantage with the higher resolution. I'll also remind you that games like Dark Souls III offer Pro players the option of playing with an unlocked frame rate. Even in PvP. There's no fucking rule that says Pro support can't include a higher frame rate.

jelly

I mean as a gamer, if you really really gave a shit about 60fps by now you would have invested in building a gaming PC. All the maintenance and fiddling would've been worth it if you really truly cared about 60fps. It is the only reliable option of achieving that at the moment and will be till the end of time most likely lol.

For console, you just take it as is. Or you let your voices be heard that you want 60fps games instead of 30. And that's all you can do and vote with your wallet. There will be zero guarantees and the safest and most reliable method will forever remain a gaming PC.

I agree voting with your wallet but consoles are doing 60fps well, maybe not 3rd person action games and iffy Battlefield games all over the place but there is solid 60fps games.

We had a post the other day suggesting it would run at 60fps on the next PS4 didn't we? As in a better Pro.

Edit:
ThatsMytrunks posted this:
- 60fps (from multiple first hand sources)
- PS4 and PC Cross-Save (not Cross-Play), and Microsoft is holding back the Cross Save for XBox
- Optimized for PS4 Pro, the next PS4, and Scorpio
- More exclusive PS4 content, again. Ugh

Absolutely horrible, I hope that ain't true.

Gator86

Can't lie I'm a little disappointed. I would have much preferred 60 FPS with dynamic resolution on consoles.

Basically, especially considering you have these mid-gen upgrades to account for. It would have been a great, scalable solution for all the consoles. Bungie has been on the struggle bus for tech since early D1 and that doesn't seem to have changed much.

This is the absolute worst possible news. Puts a bit of a damper on all the greatness.

Sure, Destiny still plays great at 30fps... but come oooooon.

Alexious

DAIWlceUIAA6okp.jpg:large

Credits to Bill Murphy of MMORPG.com

tuxfool

Banned
I agree voting with your wallet but consoles are doing 60fps well, maybe not 3rd person action games and iffy Battlefield games all over the place but there is solid 60fps games.

In limited scenarios, or in game engines designed from the ground up to provide 60hz on consoles.

AFAIK they're still using the same engine as Destiny 1. Hopefully they have fixed their content production pipelines at least. We'll find out how scalable their engine is when benchmarking it on various configurations of PC.

EmiPrime

I mean as a gamer, if you really really gave a shit about 60fps by now you would have invested in building a gaming PC. All the maintenance and fiddling would've been worth it if you really truly cared about 60fps. It is the only reliable option of achieving that at the moment and will be till the end of time most likely lol.

For console, you just take it as is. Or you let your voices be heard that you want 60fps games instead of 30. And that's all you can do and vote with your wallet. There will be zero guarantees and the safest and most reliable method will forever remain a gaming PC.

I've got well over 100 games between Xbox One and PS4 and the majority of them as well as all the first person shooters are 60fps so "you should build a PC if you care about 60fps" is a load of nonsense.

Must be the same garbage engine then since they don't have to ammodate for ps360 no more.

I don't know, I assume it's the same engine on PC?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
No disagreement there. However, if you truly care about 60fps across the board or in majority of your titles, then PC is the only viable solution imo. There are some console devs that target 60fps and deliver a rock solid fps every time. And I freaking love those devs for it. Just like I love devs that target a rock solid 30fps game with insane bells & whistles. You put out a quality product, I'll be there.

Gator86

I think Scorpio may have the best chance of being 60 or having a 60 option as Sony doesn't seem to want there to be a difference.

I'm guessing it's going to just be capped at 30 on consoles. I can't imagine them going out of their way for Scorpio at all because why? It's going to have the smallest population by an incredible margin.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
God fucking damn it.

I dsperately wanted 60fps on at least PS4 Pro and Scorpio.

...and before any idiots try and tell me that couldn't happen because of "parity" or some dumb shit, I'll remind you that Pro players already have an advantage with the higher resolution. I'll also remind you that games like Dark Souls III offer Pro players the option of playing with an unlocked frame rate. Even in PvP. There's no fucking rule that says Pro support can't include a higher frame rate.

You are comparing Dark Souls with a FPS? Really?

I'm guessing it's going to just be capped at 30 on consoles. I can't imagine them going out of their way for Scorpio at all because why? It's going to have the smallest population by an incredible margin.

I'd imagine it'd be a good selling point for ms to actually push to get those updates when possible, but your post is more likely.

molnizzle

You are comparing Dark Souls with a FPS? Really?

I'm saying there's no rule that says they can't do it. There are plenty of examples of games that offer Pro owners the option of playing at 60fps rather than 30. Some of them have PvP.

In these discussion people often quote that leaked document prior to the Pro reveal that has since been disproven. Pro could run at higher frame rate if the developers made it a priority. It seems that Bungie didn't. That fucking sucks.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
1440p/144 fps is gonna be so nice after so many hours of 30 in destiny 1.

This is why I'm kinda glad characters don't carry over.

Um... Destiny's playerbase now is nearly evenly split between PlayStation and Xbox.

Spade

Was going to get it on PC anyway but now definitely. Sucks to hear about the cap on consoles but hopefully people enjoy it anyway

dyergram

Disappointed with 30fps (although expected) the gameplay looked 60fps. I'm worried about 4v4 and this special stuff as well I like trials but I also really like 6v6. I don't know mannn....

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
is it wrong that I'm leaving towards ps4 to avoid hackers on PC?

If you have a decent PC, then yes it is wrong. Only blizzard game that has ever been completely fucked by hackers in my experience was d3 on ps4. Overwatch, d3, hearthstone don't have hacking problems on PC.

Not even close, it'll look pretty much the same than the PS4 Pro version and won't have: the community and the early contents, it'll never be definitive on a Xbox platform.
first i thought you're just trolling, but now i see a pattern
There is no reason to have Destiny 2 on something else than PS4/Pro because of two reasons, the biggest community will be on PS4, and the stupid exclusive content that last an eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom