• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 is 30 fps on consoles, uncapped on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

BF1 is a 30-50FPS game through and through and hovers around 40 something a LOT of time especially on PS4, it's only on Pro that you even get an overall average of 50 something. It has no consistency and it also has more input latency despite running at higher framerate than Destiny.

Siege.exe

I said the majority of my games.

Titanfall, Halo, Doom, Overwatch, Battleborn, COD, BF, Wolfenstein are all AAA first person shooters on console that are 60fps. Bungie have fallen behind and they no longer have the last generation parity excuse.

I don't think anyone should be holding up Battleborn of all games as a good argument for any point in terms of what is and is not acceptable in the current games market.

molnizzle

So let me get this straight.

The PS4 version sold more than the XB1 version in the Xbox's biggest territories (NA/UK).

The PS4 version obviously sold ridiculously more in the ROTW where the PS4 is super dominant.

But despite having no data to the contrary, you think that the active player bases being the same on both platforms has the same amount of evidence behind it as PS4 having more of a base?

Nah dude. That's not how it works.

Nah dude. I just gave you a reason why it could be the case when you said you doubted it was the case. The entire point is that we don't really know. You just seem to be a console warrior trying to stroke a sales boner.

LCGeek

formerly sane
People keep insisting that 60 is mandatory in 2017, but like, Battlefield 1 isn't going to catch Destiny any time soon, CoD is still on a downward spiral, Siege is doing alright but it's not exactly some unbelievable success story, and we have the tragedy of Titanfall 2. Maybe it's time that some of you accept that most people just really don't care about games running at 60 anywhere near as much as you do, and it isn't even remotely required for games to find success. It's uncapped on PC, the audience that actually wouldn't budge if Bungie tried to put this out at 30 for them, so if it's that essential, you have a place to play it where you're being directly catered to.

That's why nintendo games are made primarily in 60fps and the very companies who put gpus in the consoles you're arguing about don't earn millions of dollars in the pc realm giving people the performance they clearly do want from what we can track.

Maybe it's time you put down your own tired argument. Consumers and companies have spoken it's clearly a mixed bag. Maybe companies should take it on the chin when they make dumb decisions instead of a engine more friendly to scaling to 60fps.

Im still amazed at the people who can't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps

Are you amazed at color blindness? Not all eyes are equal certainly not when it comes to detecting motion let alone the speed by which you see it.

Well it's wrong in that you assume that Destiny 2 will do client-side calculations when Destiny 1 was all server-side.
First game was almost unhackable on Xbox 360 or PS3 - the game had insane server side checks for anything malformed every account would get banned within hours.

Jonboy

Could be 4K checkerboard rendered 30FPS
1080P downsampled 60FPS on PS4 Pro.
??

Or completely wrong.

I thought that at first too, but wouldn't it be surprising to see them have different framerates on consoles? Then again, this wasn't a PVP mode they were playing.

Perhaps there's hope the framerate will be higher at 1080p...nah. Not gonna get my hopes up.

Edit: Apparently there was PVP stuff as well.

So...CoD and Battlefield.

Unless you're talking strictly MP, but the person I quoted didn't say that.

MP shooter games that are 60fps in PvP on consoles this gen:

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Rainbow Six: Siege
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty WW2
Titanfall 2
Overwatch
Uncharted 4
Gears of War 4
DOOM
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Halo 5

Multiplayer shooters in this gen that aren't 60 FPS in PvP:

Planetside 2 (a free to play shooter with 2000 players on one continent)
Destiny
Destiny 2

Spot the odd one out.

This is on top of being a small, arena based 4v4 shooter with no flying vehicles, no terrain/structure destruction, graphics that while not bad are hardly impressive, an incredibly low FOV with no option to increase it, and shitty tickrate from a multi-billion dollar publisher and an extremely successful first game (profit-wise). The game also isn't cross-gen anymore and by all accounts doesn't have the troubled development history that the first game had.

There is zero excuse for the Crucible to not be 60fps in Destiny 2. None.

Jhn

there is no excuse to have 30 FPS on consoles, especially every other shooters like COD, Battlefield, Halo 5, Overwatch... all target 60 FPS

It was ok on the first game since it was last gen game as well. but now there is no excuse.

This is exactly right.

Even when Destiny 1 came out there was grumbling about the 30 fps lock, which compared to stuff like BF4 seemed counter-intuitively low.
And things are different now. The context is different. The competition is different.
Better.

If Halo can be 60 fps, Destiny 2 should be 60 fps.
If Battlefront can be 60 fps, Destiny 2 should be 60 fps.
If BF1 can be 60 fps, Destiny 2 should be 60 fps.

Shit, based on visuals I'd argue that if Horizon can be 30 fps, Destiny 2 should be 60 fps.

There aren't really many sub-60 multiplayer shooters left, and that's not an accident.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Im still amazed at the people who can't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps
I consider them lucky af.
Night & day difference for me. Even same for gsync 60 vs regular vsync 60. Damn this sensitivity.

Edit:
I thought that at first too, but wouldn't it be surprising to see them have different framerates on consoles? Then again, this wasn't a PVP mode they were playing.

Perhaps there's hope the framerate will be higher at 1080p...nah. Not gonna get my hopes up.
Yea, most likely completely wrong. For now, assume 30fps on consoles since that's far more likely.

EmiPrime

I don't think anyone should be holding up Battleborn of all games as a good argument for any point in terms of what is and is not acceptable in the current games market.

I wondered if someone would be tedious enough to jump on the mention of Battleborn but despite being a flop they optimised their game post-launch to offer 60fps because that's the standard for console FPS. Bungie could learn from that.

Nah dude. I just gave you a reason why it could be the case when you said you doubted it was the case. The entire point is that we don't really know. You just seem to be a console warrior trying to stroke a sales boner.

Okay. "Console warrior."

It really does suck when sales and facts get in the way of conjecture.

Keep trying though.

Hux1ey

Banned

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty WW2
Titanfall 2
Overwatch
Uncharted 4
Gears of War 4
DOOM
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront
Halo 5

Multiplayer shooters on this gen that aren't 60 FPS in PvP:

Destiny
Destiny 2

Spot the odd one out.

This is on top of being a small, arena based 4v4 shooter with no flying vehicles, no terrain/structure destruction, an incredibly low FOV with no option to increase it, and shitty tickrate from a multi-billion dollar publisher and an extremely successful first game (profit-wise).

There is zero excuse for the crucible to not have 60fps in Destiny.
Those BF games aim for 60fps but don't really hit it very often.

jeffc919

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty WW2
Titanfall 2
Overwatch
Uncharted 4
Gears of War 4
DOOM
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront
Halo 5

Destiny
Destiny 2

Spot the odd one out.

This is on top of being a small, arena based 4v4 shooter with no flying vehicles, no terrain/structure destruction, graphics that while not bad are hardly impressive, an incredibly low FOV with no option to increase it, and shitty tickrate from a multi-billion dollar publisher and an extremely successful first game (profit-wise).

Well said.

Fine with me. The human eye is incapable of seeing anything over 30fps anyway. Beefy rigs are just wasting processing power that could be better used towards motion blur or chromatic abboration.

mocoworm

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty WW2
Titanfall 2
Overwatch
Uncharted 4
Gears of War 4
DOOM
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront
Halo 5

Destiny
Destiny 2

Spot the odd one out.

This is on top of being a small, arena based 4v4 shooter with no flying vehicles, no terrain/structure destruction, graphics that while not bad are hardly impressive, an incredibly low FOV with no option to increase it, and shitty tickrate from a multi-billion dollar publisher and an extremely successful first game (profit-wise). The game also isn't cross-gen anymore and by all accounts doesn't have the troubled development history that the first game had.

Nice post. I agree.

molnizzle

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty WW2
Titanfall 2
Overwatch
Uncharted 4
Gears of War 4
DOOM
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront
Halo 5

Destiny
Destiny 2

Spot the odd one out.

God damn right.

On PS4 Pro they do.

On Scorpio they will too.

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty WW2
Titanfall 2
Overwatch
Uncharted 4
Gears of War 4
DOOM
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront
Halo 5

Destiny
Destiny 2

Spot the odd one out.

This is on top of being a small, arena based 4v4 shooter with no flying vehicles, no terrain/structure destruction, graphics that while not bad are hardly impressive, an incredibly low FOV with no option to increase it, and shitty tickrate from a multi-billion dollar publisher and an extremely successful first game (profit-wise).

So, multiplayer only then like I said.

30fps is still the standard on consoles for FPS, most of the story missions are at 30fps.

Siege.exe

That's why nintendo games are made primarily in 60fps and the very companies who put gpus in the consoles you're arguing about don't earn millions of dollars in the pc realm giving people the performance they clearly do want from what we can track.

Maybe it's time you put down your own tired argument. Consumers and companies have spoken it's clearly a mixed bag. Maybe companies should take it on the chin when they make dumb decisions instead of a engine more friendly to scaling to 60fps.

Because people buy games solely based on framerate rather than how much fun they are to play right. I said it doesn't matter as much as people like you make it out to, because it very clearly doesn't, and if it did, no one would make any game at 30 anymore because they wouldn't sell. Yet they do, because it is really not that big of a deal

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pretty inexcusable. Especially for a 4v4 shooter. Bf1, Titanfall, doom, cod, battlefront, rainbow six are all 60 fps and boast higher play counts, bigger maps and even destruction. Sure bf1 has dips into the 30s but the average isn't bad especially on the pro which feels and plays like a 60 fps game.

This tells me that they are still using their legacy engine and still haven't optimised it for next gen consoles. Very disappointing. The graphics look great but nothing compared to battlefield Abd battlefront which run at 60 fps.

Bungie Fucked up. Plain and simple.

molnizzle

So, multiplayer only then like I said.

30fps is still the standard on consoles for FPS, most of the story missions are at 30fps.

The only games on that list with 30fps story missions are Uncharted 4 and Gears 4. Third person shooters. All of the actual FPS games on the list are 60fps everywhere.

Siege.exe

I wondered if someone would be tedious enough to jump on the mention of Battleborn but despite being a flop they optimised their game post-launch to offer 60fps because that's the standard for console FPS. Bungie could learn from that.

A lot of good running at 60 did that game as opposed to being fun to play, huh?

Jhn

They're pretty solid when running anything with fewer than 40 players.
So, you know, considering the playercounts we are comparing to, I still think that's pretty fair.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So what's this rumor about the PC version not being day and date?
The press releases don't explicitly state it's coming out in the same day and the Battle.net press release is also cagey. I suspect they're not sure if they will need a short delay to finish everything yet.

Lothars

Because people buy games solely based on framerate rather than how much fun they are to play right. I said it doesn't matter as much as people like you make it out to, because it very clearly doesn't, and if it did, no one would make any game at 30 anymore because they wouldn't sell. Yet they do, because it is really not that big of a deal
Exactly. it's not a big deal, Would I like it 60 FPS? Absolutely but either way the game looks great.

The only games on that list with 30fps story missions are Uncharted 4 and Gears 4. Third person shooters. All of the actual FPS games on the list are 60fps everywhere.

oh yeah I forgot DOOM was 60fps in sp, that game is a technical marvel

Definitely sucks for sure.

Just bear in mind this all started because I quoted someone who said "30fps for consoles in 2017 is a joke". Nothing about multiplayer.
Yeah that's true, I just took it to mean that he meant for shooters in pvp cause that's what the discussion was focusing on. Plenty of console games are still 30fps or lower.

Qwyjibo

I just can't bring myself to play FPS on consoles anymore so I skipped Destiny completely, even though it looked somewhat interesting. With Destiny 2 being on PC, I'm definitely down to try it out.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty WW2
Titanfall 2
Overwatch
Uncharted 4
Gears of War 4
DOOM
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Halo 5

Multiplayer shooters in this gen that aren't 60 FPS in PvP:

Destiny
Destiny 2

Spot the odd one out.

When you put it like that, it does seem that Bungie should've targeted 60fps for Destiny 2 across the board from the get-go. Unless the game is running some voodoo magic bells & whistles with the best AI seen in a video game on consoles which didn't look like it from the recent gameplay reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom