• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just remembered we did just hit this critical milestone.

c6THxzm.png

There is much about this game and its promotion that is deserving of its fiercest criticism, if not necessarily the rage that comes along in tow. But never forget what an absolute phenomenon it has been, here and elsewhere across the gaming world. No matter what is written and what is remembered when all is said and done, we all were here to witness something undeniably huge. I'm honored to have been a part of it.

c6THxzm.png

There is much about this game and its promotion that is deserving of its fiercest criticism, if not necessarily the rage that comes along in tow. But never forget what an absolute phenomenon it has been, here and elsewhere across the gaming world. No matter what is written and what is remembered when all is said and done, we all were here to witness something undeniably huge. I'm honored to have been a part of it.

Yeah. Wow that's crazy.

rNilla

Haha went with Ghaleon's idea. I like it.

I'll use this first... er... second page post to reaffirm my desire to, when it's time, create the OT that it's time for when the one-year anniversary of Destiny comes to pass, if it's okay with everyone. Right around the Taken King release
You have my permission.

Tried 2 more emblems from Xur before going to bed, but still no Nighthawk. Did get an Eternal Warrior out of it, though, which I was missing.

Lnkn52

c6THxzm.png

Tottaly true, the game might not be for all, but it will and already has affected the gaming industry in a positive way. Still holding my statement, game of the decade.

So Ghaleon mentioned in the other thread that the halo3 OT broke the system at 100k posts. Does that mean that it counts as 5 OT's?

I think it should. Cause honestly; thats a ton of posts for a single OT. What I'd like to see though is a breakdown among the Destiny OTs for LFG posts vs normal posts. Would be interesting to see an a breakdown of that and just send it over to Bungie as our argument for an in game LFG system.

c6THxzm.png

It's been grand to be in both communities. :D

GhaleonEB

So Ghaleon mentioned in the other thread that the halo3 OT broke the system at 100k posts. Does that mean that it counts as 5 OT's?

It's counted as one, but some of the other OT's were shorter, like the ODST one. I'm not actually sure how they counted them for the Halo threads. (Here's the Halo 3 OT, BTW. It took two years to get to 100k posts. Much has to do with the growth of the forum, and with the explosion of social features and activities in Destiny vs. that game. But it's still mindblowing to me how fast we're plowing through threads.)

OkayRene

If you roll Judgement's Package, can you get gear for other classes, or is it scoped to the current character's class?

LTWood12

I'm at the hospital Gaf. Hopefully we'll have a young little guardian before sun-up.

And here I was hoping to run some trials tonight ;)

willow ve

c6THxzm.png

To be fair a VAST amount of posts here on DestinyGAF are simple LFG and responses to LFG. If the game had better (optional) matchmaking then the chatter here would be considerably less.

Also - holy shit at playing with pick up groups for Vault of Glass. They just don't know what they're doing at all.

ocean

Banned
It's counted as one, but some of the other OT's were shorter, like the ODST one. I'm not actually sure how they counted them for the Halo threads. (Here's the Halo 3 OT, BTW. It took two years to get to 100k posts. Much has to do with the growth of the forum, and with the explosion of social features and activities in Destiny vs. that game. But it's still mindblowing to me how fast we're plowing through threads.)

Destiny is also a multiplatform game across 2 generations, which also widens the audience for it. On the other hand, it's a new IP with nowhere near the recognition and established following Halo had.

All told, Destiny is a game that provokes commentary. There used to be at least 2 Destiny hate threads a week on gaming side (some stealth, others not so much). Now there's still a few per month. Sites like IGN and Polygon have regular updates on even trivial stuff like what Xûr has on sale. And then of course there's DGAF.

Not counting Alpha, Beta, E3 preview, interview and complain threads or even Todd's Praxic thread, there's half a million posts just across the OTs.

Assume 99% of it is LFG or GIFs. If even 1% represents quality posts and real discussion on the game, that would place it as 5,000 intelligent contributions in under a year. That's insane.

Glad to have been here from the very beginning. Look forward to sticking around until the end :)

rNilla

To be fair a VAST amount of posts here on DestinyGAF are simple LFG and responses to LFG. If the game had better (optional) matchmaking then the chatter here would be considerably less.
Would it though? I don't have the entirety of DGAF on my friends list. Even if i did, posting here still seems like the easiest way to play with this community.

LTWood12

T-44 just sent me a text that said, "I know you're having a baby and all, but I just sent you a psn message."

Dude got a Ram lol

So it's that time of night again where i start posting messed up theories about VoG. Or lore. Or anything in Destiny really.

I'm still convinced that there's something that we're missing in VoG. I dunno why but i just do.

So, i've been cross referencing the Grimiore again and the way in which the grimiore for the Vex Mythoclast is worded stands out.

Some legends live forever. Others are overwritten - reshaped by the sheer will of those who believe that any ordeal can be conquered, any foe vanquished, any god cast down.

The Mythoclast is a Vex instrument from some far-flung corner of time and space, mysteriously fit for human hands. Its origins, mechanism of action, and ultimate purpose remain unknown. Perhaps it will reveal itself to you, in time...

There's a number of things above which to me, is very selective of the words used.

For a start, the weapon is not referred to as a weapon, but as an instrument. An instrument by its own definition is a tool or implement, especially one for precision work. It's something designed for a purpose.

If the Vex was just a weapon, why not call it a weapon?

If you go and have a look at all the "Vex Armoury" grimiore, all of them are refered to as weapons:
Vex Slap Rifle:

From a tactical perspective, the Slap Rifle is a Vex directed-energy weapon...
Vex line Rifle:

The Vex Line Rifle fires high-velocity Solar particle jets. Deployed on the Hobgoblin chassis, the Line Rifle serves as a sniper weapon...

Like the Slap Rifle, the Line Rifle is a terminal weapon...
Vex Torch hammer:

The Torch Hammer is a devastating Vex heavy weapon...

Lets look at the rest of what it says about the Vex Mythoclast, particularly about its origins:

The Mythoclast is a Vex instrument from some far-flung corner of time and space, mysteriously fit for human hands. Its origins, mechanism of action, and ultimate purpose remain unknown.

The Vex is from some far-flung corner of time and space, mysteriously fit for human hands.

Well. The Vault of Glass is a place where time frays and a needle moves through it. The needle is the will of Atheon. I do not know the name of the shape that comes after the needle. As per Vault of glass - Kabr

In VoG you move between the past, the present(?), and the future. Kabr explored VoG alone. He created the relic Aegis from his own light and the skin of a Vex. Could he himself have retrieved the Vex Mythoclast? Could he have created it like he created the Aegis? What reason is there for it mysteriously being fit for human hands? Too mysterious i think.

The Aegis is in both the past and the future and then brought back to the present by us, the guardians during the showdown with Atheon. Why is the Aegis in the past and future in the first place?

Atheon wouldn't put it there by choice. Why give us something voluntarily to kill him?

I think Kabr managed to travel to both the past and future himself where he left the Aegis for us.

Finally this piece:

Its origins, mechanism of action, and ultimate purpose remain unknown. Perhaps it will reveal itself to you, in time...

Again if we go back to the fact that this is a "Vex Instrument" and not primarily a weapon, it hints that it has a purpose. What is that purpose? Why put that in there if it has no meaning?

Like i said at the start of this post, the words used for this grimiore card are very deliberate. It's not just a coincidence or a mistake.

Perhaps it will reveal itself to you, in time...

VoG is all about time as per the quote a few up that i posted. You travel to the past and the future when fighting Atheon. Atheons will shapes time. He passes through time as he pleases shaping time as he desires. To go back to that quote though:

The Vault of Glass is a place where time frays and a needle moves through it. The needle is the will of Atheon. I do not know the name of the shape that comes after the needle.

What comes after the needle? The needle is apparently Atheon, so what comes after him? There's something....but what?

The weekly heroic matchmaking is pretty strong evidence for the difficulty implementing these systems for 'end-game' 'hardcore' activities. I've quit out of about one in 4 because of, as Petra would say, just...awful stuff :p

Hopefully they do something, either making clans not-shit or a party finder (as Guildwars 2 finally added). Straight matchmaking... Yeah, something as easy as the weekly heroic has been rage-inducing.

ocean

Banned
So it's that time of night again where i start posting messed up theories about VoG. Or lore. Or anything in Destiny really.

I'm still convinced that there's something that we're missing in VoG. I dunno why but i just do.

So, i've been cross referencing the Grimiore again and the way in which the grimiore for the Vex Mythoclast is worded stands out.

There's a number of things above which to me, is very selective of the words used.

For a start, the weapon is not referred to as a weapon, but as an instrument. An instrument by its own definition is a tool or implement, especially one for precision work. It's something designed for a purpose.

If the vex was just a weapon, why not call it a weapon?

If you go and have a look at all the "Vex Armoury" grimiore, all of them are refered to as weapons:

Lets look at the rest of what it says about the Vex Mythoclast, particularly about its origins:

The Vex is from some far-flung corner of time and space, mysteriously fit for human hands.

Well. The Vault of Glass is a place where time frays and a needle moves through it. The needle is the will of Atheon. I do not know the name of the shape that comes after the needle. As per Vault of glass - Kabr

In VoG you move between the past, the present(?), and the future. Kabr explored VoG alone. He created the relic Aegis from his own light and the skin of a Vex. Could he himself have retrieved the Vex Mythoclast? Could he have created it like he created the Aegis? What reason is there for it mysteriously being fit for human hands? Too mysterious i think.

Finally this piece:

Again if we go back to the fact that this is a "Vex Instrument" and not primarily a weapon, it hints that it has a purpose. What is that purpose? Why put that in there if it has no meaning?

Like i said at the start of this post, the words used for this grimiore card are very deliberate. It's not just a coincidence or a mistake.

VoG is all about time as per the quote a few up that i posted. You travel to the past and the future when fighting Atheon. Atheons will shapes time. he passes through time as he pleases shaping time as he desires. To go back to that quote though:

What comes after the needle? The needle is apparently Atheon, so what comes after him? There's something....but what?
This kind of post falls into the 0.01%. Quality stuff man.

Vex Mythoclast only Atheon kill for 6th chest, go.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
If anyone wants to mess around with Trials hit me up. Not looking to get flawless or anything, just trying out some different guns and having fun.

psn Bicep_Curls

Kyne

If anyone wants to mess around with Trials hit me up. Not looking to get flawless or anything, just trying out some different guns and having fun.

psn Bicep_Curls

My friend and I need a 3rd so we can learn the map. Gonna run POE 28 first really quick. Up for it afterwards?

Edit: actually it turns out we would need to run the missions to unlock it. You down for now?

neoism

c6THxzm.png

Was the halo thread just talk for all halo games... back in the day the OG halo 3 thread got to something like 180k posts cant remember the right amount....cant remember how far Reach got got either...

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Alternatively, would be interested in trying ToO, need one more. I'm 33, buddy 34. Not pro or anything. Never done it before. Not terrible crucible players, not amazing.

PSN crophonso!

If the vex was just a weapon, why not call it a weapon?

The Aegis is in both the past and the future and then brought back to the present by us, the guardians during the showdown with Atheon. Why is the Aegis in the past and future in the first place?

Atheon wouldn't put it there by choice. Why give us something voluntarily to kill him?

I think Kabr managed to travel to both the past and future himself where he left the Aegis for us.

http://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/relic-the-aegis#kabr

Finally this piece:

VoG is all about time as per the quote a few up that i posted. You travel to the past and the future when fighting Atheon. Atheons will shapes time. He passes through time as he pleases shaping time as he desires. To go back to that quote though:

The lore of Destiny freaks me out just as much as it fascinates me. Gahhhh thank you for this post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom