• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: EA Sports UFC demo performance analysis (PS4 900p w/ 4xMSAA, XB1 900p w/ 2xMSAA)

thuway

They went for 4xMSAA.

Or, in the words of Ready at Dawn:

I think people are not out of bounds to draw comparisons to it's contemporaries.

Ryse at 900p, Battlefield 4 (PS4) at 900p, and Watch Dogs (PS4) at 900p - from the naked eye; appear to be doing more complex things. Meanwhile, we have Drive Club, Forza Horizon, InFamous Second Son, and Killzone: Shadow Fall all running at 1080p.

I think the engine they are using must be inefficient or they prioritized elements that perhaps might not translate as well on paper.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think people are not out of bounds to draw comparisons to it's contemporaries.

Ryse at 900p, Battlefield 4 (PS4) at 900p, and Watch Dogs (PS4) at 900p - from the naked eye; appear to be doing more complex things. Meanwhile, we have Drive Club, Forza Horizon, InFamous Second Son, and Killzone: Shadow Fall all running at 1080p.

I think the engine they are using must be inefficient or they prioritized elements that perhaps might not translate as well on paper.

Oh I definitely think that Ignite is not well made judging by everything made on it. I'm more so addressing the "they artificially handicapped the PS4 version for no reason" commentary.

The image quality seems outstanding on those Ps4 shots (didn't played the xbone demo yet), so I really don't see the problem there.

Resolution is just a number, it's the final image that counts, and this one looks stellar.

Loomba

Really regretting buying this digitally now, should have just waited and bought it on disk for cheaper/ able to trade it back in.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I think we should wait for the final game. EA SPORTS had an AMA on Reddit and I haven't checked it out completely but I'm sure they said many things will be corrected in the full game. This could include resolution and performance.

BigDug13

More parity between EA sports and racing games?

At least the other sports games and racing games were 1080p on both. Now we're moving down the resolution track. I really didn't believe people when they were saying the end of this gen would be 720p, but now I think they might be right.

foxbeldin

Dear EA, we don't want no more resolution gate, if you want to use the extra power, spend it on more MSAA or something else gamers don't understand.

Yours truly

MS

PS : Are you sure about TF2?

shandy706

900p with that AA looks excellent.

I hope we get more of it.

Sorry to the complainers, but I'd prefer better graphics, with heavy AA at 720p+ than lesser graphics at 1080p with tons of aliasing and other sacrifices.

Just keep it locked at 30/60 and I'll be happy with these consoles. I have my PC for uber settings.

Quaker

Banned
The whiners? I'm sorry this is a fighting game with two guys in a cage with some crowds. How did they not get the ps4 version to 1080p?

There is no whining in expecting a certain standard from your 400/500 euro gameconsole. Itseems you are the one whining about technical discussion in a thread that's about the technical aspect of the game.

Yes its a fighting game with two guys in a cage with some crowds. That is the game. Its not like you are going to see beautiful beaches and jungles. Yeah, its disappointing that the developer lied. But its a fighting game. When playing the demo the graphics factor went out the window after I actually started playing the game. Its sad to see less emphasis on how the game plays and rather how the game looks nowadays.

Looks abslutely fantastic on my screen on PS4 so I couldn't care less. Didn't notice either.

Plus it's been said by devs that the demo is not as good a representation of the full game as they wanted it to be. They fine tuned the game after the demo and tweaked some things for the full game, meaning it could possibily be at 1080p for those who truely cares.

No one noticed...

Says a lot about the resolution hysteria. Everyone just assumes lower res=BLURRY SHIT. Those people don't know what they're talking about. We've played lots of 720p games last gen that looked sharp. GTA V for example, never seemed blurry.

I have no problem with 900p games this gen, as long as they look sharp enough and have stuff like 4xMSAA.

Schnozberry

Ignite has yet to impress me in any game that has implemented it. The fighters in this game look good, but the shine ends there. The animations, collision detection and controls leave a lot to be desired.

Guymelef

Says a lot about the resolution hysteria. Everyone just assumes lower res=BLURRY SHIT. Those people don't know what they're talking about. We've played lots of 720p games last gen that looked sharp. GTA V for example, never seemed blurry.

I have no problem with 900p games this gen, as long as they look sharp enough and have stuff like 4xMSAA.

You are writing this on a post for a game that it's blurry as hell, blame motion blur.

Try count pixels on some parts of this.
20140603140818bge5i.png

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
They went for 4xMSAA.
Yeah but... Well it's honestly just personal preference but, I'll take 1:1 pixel maping over anti-aliasing any day. And x4 MSAA seems overkill. Extreme overkill. Can't help thinking all that bandwidth could've been used somewhere else.

thuway

900p with that AA looks excellent.

I hope we get more of it.

Sorry to the complainers, but I'd prefer better graphics, with heavy AA at 720p+ than lesser graphics at 1080p with tons of aliasing and other sacrifices.

Just keep it locked at 30/60 and I'll be happy with these consoles. I have my PC for uber settings.

On my modest gaming laptop, I have always preferred using 1080p with lower quality AA as opposed to UFC's method. 1080p has a super clean, pixel to pixel mapping that gives it a very smooth IQ.

4XMSAA is absolutely overkill and expensive. It legitimately is one of the most expensive anti-aliasing filters available. They would have been better off using SMAA + FXAA. That alone would give a pretty big boost in FPS.

sml_gallery_13_20_6994.png

Lucifon

No one noticed...

No but now that we found out about it everyone noticed it you see, that's how it works.
Who am I kidding, no, noone noticed, because the game still looks great and what your eyes see matters more than a number.

I feel with this game the 2nd one will be a significant improvement, they're finding their feet with the new hardware. The limited modes and number of fighters highlight that. But it still plays great, I'm really looking forward to it as a huge UFC fan.

StevieP

Banned
On my modest gaming laptop, I have always preferred using 1080p with lower quality AA as opposed to UFC's method. 1080p has a super clean, pixel to pixel mapping that gives it a very smooth IQ.

4XMSAA is absolutely overkill and expensive. It legitimately is one of the most expensive anti-aliasing filters available. They would have been better off using SMAA + FXAA. That alone would give a pretty big boost in FPS.

sml_gallery_13_20_6994.png

It would be better if developers stopped using Vaseline post AA actually.

And lol at the tin foil hatters. Guys 4xmsaa isn't cheap and that's why the lesser GPU in the xbone is only giving it 2xmsaa.

They went for 4xMSAA.

SdrXrTU.png

Yeah but The Order has way more going and sure to have bigger environments .
Hell The Order has 4 main characters and they mostly on screen from what we have see .
4xMSAA alone can't make things like this when X1 running with 2xMSAA.

foxbeldin

Some people are missing the point. It's not about counting pixels and noticing if a game runs at a certain resolution. It's about aknowledging there's a visible difference between different res, when you have ground to compare.

While 900p can look good. 1080p looks better. That's all.

They went for 4xMSAA.

SdrXrTU.png

Interesting that 4xMSAA @ 800P is more intensive than 1080p without AA, but it makes more sense for the Order with it's black bars than UFC.

Having parity with the resolution and funnelling that extra PS4 power into doubling the AA seems more like another opportunity for EA to kiss Microsoft's ring and avoid one version of their game having any sort of performance stigma attached to it.

Kayant

More parity between EA sports and racing games?

The PS4 version utilises a much more comprehensive 4x MSAA solution (perhaps with a post-process anti-aliasing technique on top) that manages to nearly eliminate aliasing in most situations despite the lower resolution. Xbox One doesn't fare quite so well, with image quality falling short of the PS4 version - 2x MSAA appears to be present, though we're not sure if there's a post-process on top, or whether we're just seeing the results of upscaling.

We also see clean, artefact-free soft-shadows cascading over everything, appearing just a tad sharper on PS4.

It's really the excellent implementation of per-object motion blur that steals the show here and manages to sell the action and accentuate animations. This also stands as the second noticeable difference between the two versions: motion blur on Xbox One operates at a lower precision, utilising half the samples of the PS4 game.

So, while PS4 has a distinct advantage in terms of image quality, it is the Xbox One version of the game that has the slightest of performance advantages. Once the fight begins, however, they both put up similar statistics and the PS4 issues - as small as they are - will hopefully be corrected for launch.

Along those same lines it should be noted that loading times on Xbox One are significantly longer than on PS4. You're looking at around 36 seconds to load a match on Xbox One while the PS4 is ready to go in just 20.

Nope.

If this is parity, then why is the PS4 still dropping frames from 30?

At most it dropped two frames in the video. More often than not it drops 1 frame. There isn't parity apart from being the same resolution as seen above in the quotes PS4 has more effects.

BibiMaghoo

.....and here come the whiners.

Careful dude...

OT, I read the game has fantastic character models and looks spectacular. I hate upscaling, but if the game looks great, it looks great. Disappointing from a numbers perspective though.

Orayn

Not going for 1080p on PS4 seems odd, but I'm vaguely pleased by the fact that MSAA is still around and I love me some high quality object motion blur.

Top Bottom