• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III to Ship in Early 2012

kyubajin

Dark Souls will have me more than occupied and happy until whenever Blizzard decides to finally release their game.

butts

Im actually OK with this, there are just too many damn games coming out this fall the way it is. Polish that shit up Blizzard.

Canova

Banned
Kosma said:
Diablo could release on Jesus' birthday and shops would open.

lol

but again as I said Diablo is not the 800-pounds gorilla it used to be. that 10-12 years break is just too long to keep the momentum

DaBuddaDa

Canova said:
but again as I said Diablo is not the 800-pounds gorilla it used to be. that 10-12 years break is just too long to keep the momentum
But Blizzard, their properties and fandom has exploded exponentially over the past decade. Momentum is irrelevant in their case.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Corky said:
I recall making a bet in a recent d3 thread, a couple of weeks/month or so ago, that if the game came 2011 I'd post a picture of my hairy ass.

In a way, I guess I'm to blame for the delay.

And thus my dreams are crushed. :(
:p

Zeliard

Canova said:
it will, but that's not exactly what the other guy said. he said Blizzard could put it anytime they want, and it would still sell gazillion. and I argued, it wouldn't. Let see if they dared to put it against MW3 or bF3

It's always going to be a better idea putting almost any game out against the least amount of sales competition, but it's Diablo; it would sell massively against anything.

We're talking about a series so big that Diablo 2 was the best-selling PC game ever at the time of its release, long before Blizzard became even more vastly popular with WoW. And the older Diablo games still continue to sell to this day.

Bethesda doesn't seem too scared of releasing Skyrim literally three days after MW3 comes out, you think Blizzard would be with a game like Diablo 3? Other companies are more likely to modify their release schedules around whatever Blizzard is doing.

DaBuddaDa

Zeliard said:
Bethesda doesn't seem too scared of releasing Skyrim literally three days after MW3 comes out, you think Blizzard would be with a game like Diablo 3? Other companies are more likely to modify their release schedules around whatever Blizzard is doing.
Absolutely; Guild Wars 2, TERA, Kingdoms of Amalur, Risen 2, all of them are going to avoid launching anywhere near when Diablo III is slated.

rakhir

Canova said:
Let see if they dared to put it against MW3 or bF3
I don't think they even care when those games ship. Blizzard could easily ship anything when they want and it would sell good.

And there's not that much of a share of players between d3 and those shooters, anyway.

rakhir said:
I don't think they even care when those games ship. Blizzard could easily ship anything when they want and it would sell good.

And there's not that much of a share of players between d3 and those shooters, anyway.
Until they consider making D3 a FPS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

rakhir

DMPrince said:
Until they consider making D3 a FPS.
That's a great idea, let's discuss it write an article around that concept! ;)

And to the topic - i hope they are talking 'really' early 2012, january-february.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
JaseC said:
And thus my dreams are crushed. :(
:p

Just for you....

donkeydreadlockswecp.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Canova said:
it will, but that's not exactly what the other guy said. he said Blizzard could put it anytime they want, and it would still sell gazillion. and I argued, it wouldn't. Let see if they dared to put it against MW3 or bF3

The hardcore MW3 and Diablo player circles surely intersect, but not on the level to affect sales of either in the slightest. They're not competing games.

Woorloog

Banned
Honestly, who here really expected the game come out in 2011?
I would've been very surprised if it hadn't been delayed, regardless there's on-going beta.

Cirdan

Neo Member
I'm okay with this. As much as I liked the rumored December 5 date, it's better this way as now I can spend pretty much the whole end of the year playing Dark Souls, Skyrim and Skyward Sword with no rush. Hope it doesn't end up clashing with Guild Wars 2 however.

Brofist

Canova said:
lol

What gives you any indication that it isn't?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
witchedwiz said:
guess i'll have time to play torchlight 2 before diablo3!
nothing lost!
When is it gonna be out anyway?

Yoshichan

;( Oh well, TL2 it is then...

I'm actually glad. I'll be able to get through this fall's lineup without fear that I won't be able to give games the proper amount of time they deserve (Skyrim, Batman AC, AC Revelations, SR3).

Khezu

Canova said:
lol

Id say its bigger, 10 years of massively positive word of mouth, and all the wow players.
40 Year old woman will buy diablo 3 to play it with that wow guild mates, all blizzard has to do is release it in one of wows many luls, and the shared friend's list will do the rest.

Corky

Khezu said:
Id say its bigger, 10 years of massively positive word of mouth, and all the wow players.
40 Year old woman will buy diablo 3 to play it with that wow guild mates, all blizzard has to do is release it in one of wows many luls, and the shared friend's list will do the rest.

I have no doubt in d3 potential success, but the above is one helluva delusion if I ever saw one.

D3 is not WoW.

DaBuddaDa

Corky said:
I have no doubt in d3 potential success, but the above is one helluva delusion if I ever saw one.

D3 is not WoW.
The change in art style though is clearly a grab at trying to entice casual WoW players to try this newfangled Diablo thing.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
heres to hoping they are using the deadline extension to make a single player without online mode.... or a pause feature / not boot offable feature in SP online.

EDIT: who am I kidding, they are jsut going to use it to balance and work on bugs.

Corky

DaBuddaDa said:
The change in art style though is clearly a grab at trying to entice casual WoW players to try this newfangled Diablo thing.

Or that could simply be explained by the fact that the artteam behind behind d3 and WoW are the same whereas the guys from d1 and d2 are long gone (?).

DaBuddaDa

Corky said:
Or that could simply be explained by the fact that the artteam behind behind d3 and WoW are the same whereas the guys from d1 and d2 are long gone (?).
And the WoW art team was put on Diablo III for that reason. Diablo 1/2's style is too dark, too gross, not quite mass-market enough for what Blizzard wants for this game. There were stories a long time ago of D3 playtesters who overwhelmingly complained that the game was too gritty and dark and depressing and needed to be more whimsical and colorful.

schragnasher

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
Bethesda doesn't seem too scared of releasing Skyrim literally three days after MW3 comes out, you think Blizzard would be with a game like Diablo 3?

There might be problems if Diablo III came out same day as Skyrim, for both sides. PC gamers would literally be driven to a state of catatonic shock and unable to move their hands to the buy button on steam, driven insane at the choice of which to load and play first. Bad news for both companies.

raphier

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
And the WoW art team was put on Diablo III for that reason. Diablo 1/2's style is too dark, too gross, not quite mass-market enough for what Blizzard wants for this game. There were stories a long time ago of D3 playtesters who overwhelmingly complained that the game was too gritty and dark and depressing and needed to be more whimsical and colorful.
Diablo 2 art is a call of females. I know from experience, chicks dig D2.
Was introduced to the game by one.
So I'd say Diablo artstyle is gothic enough to have mainstream appeal.

forrest

formerly nacire
Man I was really thinking they would squeeze this one out in December. Can't say anyone is truly shocked though. :/ I hope this means that we will see some updates to the beta. Probably not though.

Corky

DaBuddaDa said:
And the WoW art team was put on Diablo III for that reason.

Why? D3 has no monthly cost, it's not an mmo, a fraction of the playerbase is going to buy and sell stuff of RMAH. What on earth makes you think that similar artstyles means they're trying to cannibalize their own wow-base? Why not release a new mmo or "WoW 2" if that's what they want?

Diablo 1/2's style is too dark, too gross, not quite mass-market enough for what Blizzard wants for this game.

Did not know of this link between a games grittyness/brightness and it's sales. Guess the cod and gears games really proves this mass-market link.

There were stories a long time ago of D3 playtesters who overwhelmingly complained that the game was too gritty and dark and depressing and needed to be more whimsical and colorful.

I hope they fired every single one of these playtester. ( also I was under the impression of QA playtesters being there for testing a games mechanics/polish etc, not criticizing it's artistic choices )

Twinduct

Nice, more time for SA to improve it's international connection!
(Might aswell delay it until 2014 if we're waiting on the connection speed to improve).

Corky say what you will, but Diablo 3 is essentially a pseudo MMO or as I like to call them MSPOG. It's a Massive Single player online game? :p

Aesthet1c

This is sad news for sure. My only hope is that by early 2012, they mean early 2012. I'll be happy if it's in the January/February time frame. I hate when companies say "early 2012" and then release their game in like April/May.

Corky

TheExodu5 said:
July 2011

I think march, don't know what kind of financial calender they're using but something tells me march is their CURRENT aim with this "early 2011" target.

And of course, I put no weight whatsoever in it.

Top Bottom