• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III to Ship in Early 2012

DaBuddaDa

The only thing that indicated a 2011 release date for Diablo III was when Activision said during their financials: "‘The game does not have a launch date. We’re working very hard to try and release it this year..." Their numbers, however, were projected assuming there wasn't going to be Diablo III in 2011. That quote combined with the Q3 beta made people hope it would come out late 2011.

Magnus

Yeah, nowhere near good enough considering Blizzard's track record (with delays and waits, not as a quality developer) to expect 2011, at least not to the degree that you'd be surprised or disappointed today.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Brettison said:
It never HAD an actual set release date. They wanted to get it out maybe by Summer, but they never promised anything nor did they ever give an actual release date. Nothing to miss until you miss your set in stone date. It's like 30 people TOTAL at the company doing well EVERYTHING. Blizzard probably has 30 people just doing PR for Diablo alone. LOL
Ok. So they truly fucked up their release date in general. I don't care that it is taking so long to come out, just pointing out that they fucked up letting their game cut so close to the more popular game that will swallow them whole.

DaBuddaDa

Yaboosh said:
Ok. So they truly fucked up their release date in general. I don't care that it is taking so long to come out, just pointing out that they fucked up letting their game cut so close to the more popular game that will swallow them whole.
Torchlight II could very easily come out next month. That would give it at the very, very least 3 months distance between it and Diablo III, and more likely 5 months distance if D3 comes in March instead of January. It's ok, just a single month in the gaming world is like a lifetime, let alone 3+ months.

SillyPuty

I am not surprised by this. I have been under the assumption that this game will never come out! (It's the only thing keeping me from going into a depression!) At least Torchlight 2 will fill the bitter void until next year! All is good!

TUSR

Banned
Does anyone feel like there was a decision made at Activision-Blizzard to not release two popular games at the same time, and they figured that MW3 would outsell Diablo 3?

MW3 Vs. BF3

Hold off on a game you KNOW would sell well.

alf717

I kind of want to get back into D2. Anyone know of any good deal going on? I know for a while there were sites selling keys that you could use on Battlenet but I never bit since it seemed shady.

One little thing that kinda has me bugged...they've stated they have no plans to expand the accessible content in the beta, which I think is kinda lame given this news. Push it into 2012, fine, but with at least three months of beta testing left, realistically four or five, restricting beta testers to the first third of Act I seems excessively limited.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
DaBuddaDa said:
Torchlight II could very easily come out next month. That would give it at the very, very least 3 months distance between it and Diablo III, and more likely 5 months distance if D3 comes in March instead of January. It's ok, just a single month in the gaming world is like a lifetime, let alone 3+ months.
Yes, they should be super happy with this news that D3 won't be out until next year, and if Torchlight does come out next month, it should piggyback nicely on the hype of D3. I suppose it could come out anytime before D3 and still sell fairly well, but god help Runic if they let D3 beat them to market.

Top Bottom