• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III to Ship in Early 2012

MooMoo

Corky said:
I think march, don't know what kind of financial calender they're using but something tells me march is their CURRENT aim with this "early 2011" target.

And of course, I put no weight whatsoever in it.
Just fyi, I think Blizzard's financial calendar is in line with the normal calendar year. So Jan-Mar= Q1, April-June=Q2, etc. etc.

At this point I don't really care when it comes out. I was hoping it would be a mid-December release because I'd be on winter break. Oh well.

garath

At least it's more opportunity for a bigger beta. Starcraft II seemed like everyone under the sun got into the beta near the end. I would definitely welcome the chance to get a feel for the game before the full release - make some decisions on what character I'm going to play, etc.

Weenerz

Banned
Canova said:
they'd be crazy to rush the game in this already packed 2011 schedule

It would outsell almost every title in whatever year it releases. I think Call of Duty would be the only competitor, since that sells insane numbers every year.

Loxley

Not the first time they've done this, The Burning Crusade missed the holiday 2006 window and launched in January of '07, and it still outsold everything.

Nice reminder that Blizzard is still Blizzard, and won't release it unless it's ready.

forrest

formerly nacire
You know, I think the Demon Hunter resource system may have played into this decision a lot. I noticed in the skill calculator this morning that they have drastically changed the way it works. I knew they were tweaking things, but they have taken hatred and made some abilites generate it, while some abilities spend it. Not to mention, they have nerfed and buffed the abilities accordingly as well as changed the roll out order off all of the abilities completely.

I would imagine a change of this magnitude would need some serious internal testing over the long haul, considering you need to see how it plays out across all difficulties and how the changes effect runestones and passives.

x-Lundz-x

Damn, I was hoping they would make it. I had a dream it would be out mid November so I could spend all thanksgiving week playing....

Oh well, I guess I have waited 10 years I can wait another 6 months.

Corto

I mentally put Diablo III as a mid 2012 release before they officially said something so I'm good with this.

Ithil

I won't believe it's out until it's in my hand, I've installed it and am playing it. Also I will pinch myself, just in case.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Corto said:
I mentally put Diablo III as a mid 2012 release before they officially said something so I'm good with this.

You were just subconsciously drawing similarities between D3 coming and the end of the world.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm not surprised, but I was really hoping for a 2011 release. Oh well, hopefully I'll at least get into the beta sometime this year.

Corky

Bloodsent said:
I don't think this is very far fetched to be honest.

I think so, because there's no way in hell that there's going to be a simultaneous release of d3 on pc and consoles.

Corky

Baiano19 said:
Anyone expected this to be released in 2011? Its Blizzard we are talking about...

Well, I'm ashamed to say but the whole "we're pushing for a holiday 2011 release" had me fooled. I should've known better.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Canova said:
they'd be crazy to rush the game in this already packed 2011 schedule

December is WIDE open. Nothing confirmed is really coming out past 11/15/11.

Corky said:
I think so, because there's no way in hell that there's going to be a simultaneous release of d3 on pc and consoles.

Yep. PC version will get delayed. lol =(

TheKurgan

I was never expecting it to come out this year, but still want to get into the beta badly! Lets hope it is a Q1 title and doesn't get bumped out into the summer or fall of 2012.

With Skyrim, Battlefield 3, MW3, HOMM6, etc... coming out this fall I will have more than enough to keep me busy.

Magnus said:
...no one actually thought this was coming in 2011, right? Come on guys...it's Blizzard! lol
With this logic, who actually thinks it'll be in Early 2012? Or mid-2012? or 2012 at all?! C'mon guys... it's Blizzard!

DaBuddaDa

It's funny because Blizzard doesn't take much longer than any other AAA developer to make games. It's generally three years from announcement -> launch like clockwork over the last decade.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Kintaro said:
Is Runic Games dead or something? Where the fuck is Torchlight 2?
They are the ones who truly fucked up with their delay. The closer it releases to DIII, the worse it will sell. If they had released it on time, they would be feasting off of the hype for Diablo right now.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Going by Runic's twitter, they're still working on TL2's Acts but plan to ship this year. No beta planned. Why do I have a tough time believing this?

bfrye26

Neo Member
I would rather Blizzard take some extra time and make Diablo 3 what we all want it today. So much time has past since Diablo 2 that a few more months will not hurt. I am still eager to get my hands on this!

Siiiiiiiiiigh. Yes, I foolishly, foolishly kept faith. I figured worst-case scenario it would be like the Burning Crusade release, and they'd wait till the end of December to tell us it'd be coming in January instead. Oh well.

Yaboosh said:
They are the ones who truly fucked up with their delay. The closer it releases to DIII, the worse it will sell. If they had released it on time, they would be feasting off of the hype for Diablo right now.

Yep. I need Torchlight II to console me, what the hell is going on Runic :( I don't think we've seen hide nor hair of it since PAX.

Well, now we know that at least 2 Blizzard games are coming out in 2012. (As stated by them previously.) We may actually get 3, which would be fucking ridiculous - Diablo 3, WoW expac, and Heart of the Swarm. I really can't see them sitting on Heart of the Swarm until 2013, having showed as much as they have (of the single-player at least), but it's Blizzard, so it's possible. WoW expac is all but guaranteed sometime next year - probably in the Late Spring or Summer.

I guess they needed the extra time to fix the Demon Hunter and implement that first person mode.
lol

Corky

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I guess they needed the extra time to fix the Demon Hunter and implement that first person mode.
lol

Crossbow ironsights.
Believe.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yaboosh said:

It never HAD an actual set release date. They wanted to get it out maybe by Summer, but they never promised anything nor did they ever give an actual release date. Nothing to miss until you miss your set in stone date. It's like 30 people TOTAL at the company doing well EVERYTHING. Blizzard probably has 30 people just doing PR for Diablo alone. LOL

Raide

I don't care about anything else Blizzard is making, apart from Diablo 3. Push it all back to make D3 even better.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Vilam said:
lol, people really thought 2011? It was always set for 2012.
No it wasn't. It wasn't set for anything.

ATVI was trying to up their stock by saying they planned to release 2 Blizzard games in one year.

(._.)

Banned
I'm sort of glad. I have four or so other games I plan to play by the end of this year.

I also want to get some more play throughs in Diablo II

Magnus

helloresolven said:
With this logic, who actually thinks it'll be in Early 2012? Or mid-2012? or 2012 at all?! C'mon guys... it's Blizzard!

They never actually announced a 2011 release date, did they? If so, I apologize.

Top Bottom