• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry criticize Sony's communciation about cross gen titles

Goes deeper than that. Avowed and Everwild were supposed to be Xbox One games and then all references to Xbox One were suddenly removed. It is like the Sony situation but in reverse as Microsoft was bragging about their support for Xbox One. If we are going to say Sony lied then let's not pretend Microsoft was criticized for being truthful. Just not the case.
I didn't know those games had a release date let alone an understanding of what the game actually is in the case of Everwild. I don't know if you want to show evidence that MS 'lied' by talking about games we haven't even seen any gameplay of. If these games come out late 2022 or 2023 did MS really 'lie'?

molly14

Won't get a GT or GOW that takes full advantage of Ps5 for years now, especially GT, considering how long it takes for each new version to be released.

Very disappointed with this news considering they are two of Sony's biggest games 😒

VFXVeteran

Banned
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I understand it would be quite difficult to downscale a developers high-end SKU to the low end. But most of these games have the same overall design that hasn't changed from previous generations. This leads me to believe that there is nothing new to innovate with the same game's design. R&C did a great idea with the SSD but every game doesn't need that. The only thing I would agree on about being held back by previous generations would be physics (i.e. GT7) and high CPU use games.

Overall though, most games are GPU limited. And in that case, the innovation will come from rendering techniques that don't have to suffer because of low-end systems. Just as in multiplat games now (XSX, PS5 and PC), it's quite trivial to downscale from the PC SKU all the way down to PS4/X1.

Nubulax

So you don't think "We believe in generations" follow by the subject of this thread is not an example of overpromising and underdelivering?
I always think that quote is misused and taken without context as a way to meme on Sony tbh. People want to make it to be JUST about PS5 exclusive games vs cross gen when clearly it isnt

Quotes... Taken from that interview

"It's been a real rollercoaster of a year," Ryan tells us. "We realised a couple of months ago that we were going to have to spend a lot more time paying attention to the PS4 community than we had anticipated, as that community, along with everybody else in the world, went into lockdown.

"We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s. And that community is demonstrating an amazing stickiness, and willingness to stay engaged that, I think, the events of the past few months have just reinforced what we knew already.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Corndog

Banned
No they didn't that's just how the media reported on it, in every interview they said they were going to continue to support the PS4 and have exclusive PS5 games which is exactly what's going on.
No they didn't that's just how the media reported on it, in every interview they said they were going to continue to support the PS4 and have exclusive PS5 games which is exactly what's going on.
Sure. Hope this is ok to post.
https://gamasutra.com/view/news/366...s_crossgen_games_risk_stifling_innovation.php

Topher

Gold Member
I didn't know those games had a release date let alone an understanding of what the game actually is in the case of Everwild. I don't know if you want to show evidence that MS 'lied' by talking about games we haven't even seen any gameplay of. If these games come out late 2022 or 2023 did MS really 'lie'?

Who said anything about game play or "what the game actually is"? What does it matter?

What is the difference between bragging about "generations" and then changing the status of PS5 games to cross gen and bragging about cross gen and then removing games from Xbox One? If we are going to call it a "lie" then I think we should be consistent about it.

Last edited:
Who said anything about game play or "what the game actually is"? What does it matter?

What is the difference between bragging about "generations" and then changing the status of PS5 games to cross gen and bragging about cross gen and then removing games from Xbox One? If we are going to call it a "lie" then I think we should be consistent about it.

If we are talking about consistency are we attacking MS because they don't put out exclusive Series games or are we attacking them for making cross generational titles? MS said they'd support the X1 for the next one or two years not that they'd never put out any Series only games. Pick a side then we can talk about who's 'lying'.

Returnal
Demon's Souls Remake
Godfall
Destruction All-Stars
Astro's Playroom
Returnal - true my bad
DS - a PS3 game with a shiny new skin, neat... But not exclusive
Godfall - a PC game
D all-stars - true
Astro is a tech demo

It's still not an impressive list, better than the direction competition... Still, nothing to write home about (I say this as a ps5 owner and a giant Sony fan).

Allandor

Well, after this "we believe in generations" stuff and fanboys attacking MS for being honest in their communication about this, it is right to blame Sony for this 180° turnaround.
I don't think supporting the old system will change anything in gamedesign or anything else. Games will still be good. This at least opens the chance for more 60 fps titles on the current gen.

Series x only? What a bunch os a-hole, they sell the series S telling people it's "next-gen" yet they don't even bother making their own games work with it?

Kilau

The guys at DF are consistently impressed by Switch ports so why should they care about PS4 ports.

200.gif

Topher

Gold Member
If we are talking about consistency are we attacking MS because they don't put out exclusive Series games or are we attacking them for making cross generational titles? MS said they'd support the X1 for the next one or two years not that they'd never put out any Series only games. Pick a side then we can talk about who's 'lying'.

Maybe examples will help.

God of War was revealed as a PS5 game. It was changed to a PS4/PS5 game.
Avowed was revealed as an Xbox One/Xbox Series X game. It was changed to a Xbox Series X game.

You say Microsoft never said they would never put any Series only games? That's true. Sony never said they would never put out any cross gen games. So did either really lie at all? The crux of the "lie" is really the fact that the target platforms for the games above changed, not because either Microsoft or Sony made ironclad vows about what systems they would be on. So the consistency I'm talking about is this notion that Microsoft told the truth while Sony lied. I think that's just nonsense. Either they both lied or they didn't. Either way, I think both can be criticized for not being entirely clear on what direction they were going.

Who here doesn’t think the we believe in generations wasn’t a jab at Xbox?

Who believes this wasn't a jab at Sony?

Sorry, I am a bit soapboxy with this one. Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives, and I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ries-x-developers-being-held-back-by-xbox-one

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I always think that quote is misused and taken without context as a way to meme on Sony tbh. People want to make it to be JUST about PS5 exclusive games vs cross gen when clearly it isnt

Quotes... Taken from that interview

"It's been a real rollercoaster of a year," Ryan tells us. "We realised a couple of months ago that we were going to have to spend a lot more time paying attention to the PS4 community than we had anticipated, as that community, along with everybody else in the world, went into lockdown.

"We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s. And that community is demonstrating an amazing stickiness, and willingness to stay engaged that, I think, the events of the past few months have just reinforced what we knew already.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."
So you're saying the idea of "We believe in generations" doesn't necessarily mean just games? I can understand that, but I think people are just upset that specific games aren't seeming to follow the mantra.

Great we got a Dual Sense controller, but God of War is gonna be on PS4 as well.

3D audio is awesome, but Horizon is gonna be on PS4 as well. I guess people are waiting on games that can only be done on PS5. To me, it's already happened with Ratchet and Returnal. On the other hand, I can understand why people are unwilling to allow God of War or Horizon to pass without the same next gen treatment, but that's only if it's confirmed that design features were cut so that the game could be properly supported on PS4.

I think back to Destiny and how that was cross gen...I had an Xbox One at the time so I just plaed it there, was there features of the game that made it on the next gen version but wasn't on the previous gen?

GhostOfTsu

Banned
And Sony said they would never put out PS4 games once PS5 is released, right? That's what you think that quote meant? Go back to school and learn to read.

If we follow your logic then they both "lied". You just screwed yourself.

Read the whole thing and tell me with a straight face he's saying PS4 is done, no more releases (thanks Nubulax I was not able to quote your post):

Last edited:

Shmunter

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I understand it would be quite difficult to downscale a developers high-end SKU to the low end. But most of these games have the same overall design that hasn't changed from previous generations. This leads me to believe that there is nothing new to innovate with the same game's design. R&C did a great idea with the SSD but every game doesn't need that. The only thing I would agree on about being held back by previous generations would be physics (i.e. GT7) and high CPU use games.

Overall though, most games are GPU limited. And in that case, the innovation will come from rendering techniques that don't have to suffer because of low-end systems. Just as in multiplat games now (XSX, PS5 and PC), it's quite trivial to downscale from the PC SKU all the way down to PS4/X1.
Most games are GPU limited because they are borne out of necessity of widespread consoles with Jaguar CPU’s. A whole generation saw no innovation in physics and simulation, and that has now been extended.

Raonak

Banned
Well, good thing Sony is releasing a PS5 exclusive days from now.

When the amazing horizon gameplay was shown off, it became incredibly clear that crossgen games aren't really being held back....

It's just that stuff like halo just looked like ass and people used the crossgen as a scapegoat.

Personally I prefer this to MS's method of just not releasing any games.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
They didn't IMO. I mean how could they be saying next gen looks good for GoW for example when all we had was a logo. They came out with their generations statement because they had exclusives announced, because they released a new controller required for PS5 games, and an interviewer asked why they were going a different route to MS. To which they replied "we believe in generations". Some people are trying to use that to mean "no crossgen games" though even when we had Miles . People are trying to say they were not upfront and in a way that's true especially with GT7. With GoW it simply was not announced at all though. People talking about MS being upfront are not telling the truth though because they actually said one thing and started doing the exact opposite with crossgen games.
GOW, GT7 and Horizon were announced at a PS5 event! An omission is still a lie!

Last edited:
Maybe examples will help.

God of War was revealed as a PS5 game. It was changed to a PS4/PS5 game.
Avowed was revealed as an Xbox One/Xbox Series X game. It was changed to a Xbox Series X game.

You say Microsoft never said they would never put any Series only games? That's true. Sony never said they would never put out any cross gen games. So did either really lie at all? The crux of the "lie" is really the fact that the target platforms for the games above changed, not because either Microsoft or Sony made ironclad vows about what systems they would be on. So the consistency I'm talking about is this notion that Microsoft told the truth while Sony lied. I think that's just nonsense. Either they both lied or they didn't. Either way, I think both can be criticized for not being entirely clear on what direction they were going.

Who believes this wasn't a jab at Sony?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ries-x-developers-being-held-back-by-xbox-one
OK so now we are clear about the companies respective positions let's take your examples. Not only did MS not say they would never support only the Series systems they said they would support the X1 for the next year or two. They said this up front. They were attacked for this position. The infamous interview with Jim Ryan gave the very strong impression that Sony 'believes in generations' and that they were NOT interested in cross generational support like on the Xbox. They were celebrated for this position.

Turns out Sony was just kidding and Horizon, God of War, and Gran Tourismo are all hitting PS4. This is nothing like Avowed, a game that has no release year let alone a specific date or Everwild, a game that isn't even clear on the genre, coming or not to X1 especially if the release of those games falls outside of the one or two year window MS already detailed. There is no reason to do a 'whataboutism' on MS here. Sony set the expectations and is now telling a very different story. They deserve to be called out simple and plain. If MS dropped Halo Infinite support of X1 suddenly, you'd have a point. Ironically I'm pretty sure more people would celebrate that happening.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I would remark that it's hard to innovate on game design when you're still constrained by last gen limitations. A lot of games are GPU limited but isn't that because we're generally looking at the games from an "eye candy" perspective? They'd be considered CPU limited if we consider the opportunity cost of all of the AI, physics, NPC agents, etc that we're not getting because of a limited CPU budget too, right?

Topher

Gold Member
OK so now we are clear about the companies respective positions let's take your examples. Not only did MS not say they would never support only the Series systems they said they would support the X1 for the next year or two. They said this up front. They were attacked for this position. The infamous interview with Jim Ryan gave the very strong impression that Sony 'believes in generations' and that they were NOT interested in cross generational support like on the Xbox. They were celebrated for this position.

Turns out Sony was just kidding and Horizon, God of War, and Gran Tourismo are all hitting PS4. This is nothing like Avowed, a game that has no release year let alone a specific date or Everwild, a game that isn't even clear on the genre, coming or not to X1 especially if the release of those games falls outside of the one or two year window MS already detailed. There is no reason to do a 'whataboutism' on MS here. Sony set the expectations and is now telling a very different story. They deserve to be called out simple and plain. If MS dropped Halo Infinite support of X1 suddenly, you'd have a point. Ironically I'm pretty sure more people would celebrate that happening.

Not only did MS not say they would never support only the Series systems they said they would support the X1 for the next year or two. They said this up front.

Yeah....until Aaron Greenberg backtracked on that saying it would be left up to each studio.

Why can't we just call out this bullshit equally instead of pretending it is one-sided?

GhostOfTsu GhostOfTsu provided this above. Not sure what part is unclear. Jim Ryan said Sony would support PS4 for years after the launch of PS5. How you translate this into "NOT interested in cross generational support", I have no idea.

"We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says.

I've been a critic of Jim Ryan myself, but there is a lot of sheer bullshit being passed around about what he has said.

And yes, Avowed is exactly like God of War. Why you think release dates change the fact that it and Everwild were coming to Xbox One and now they are not, again I have no idea.

If MS dropped Halo Infinite support of X1 suddenly, you'd have a point.

Im Out Morgan Freeman GIF
Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The infamous interview with Jim Ryan gave the very strong impression that Sony 'believes in generations' and that they were NOT interested in cross generational support like on the Xbox. They were celebrated for this position. Turns out Sony was just kidding and Horizon, God of War, and Gran Tourismo are all hitting PS4.
Do not ignore me again and tell me where he says that in his full quote. Xbox fans keep going about the lie. Full threads and articles are made about it. Where is it exactly? CatLady can help you maybe? Show me in the actual quote.

Game titles are also not even mentioned in the interview. We have nothing for GOW, just a title no gameplay like Avowed or Everwild.

Three

GOW, GT7 and Horizon were announced at a PS5 event! An omission is still a lie!
So? How is announcing it at a PS5 event considered a lie? If you announce a multiplatform game at an Xbox or Sony event is it considered a lie? There were a whole lot of games announced without confirmed platforms and Horizon FW was confirmed for PS4 before the PS5 even launched.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yeah....until Aaron Greenberg backtracked on that saying it would be left up to each studio.

Why can't we just call out this bullshit equally instead of pretending it is one-sided?

GhostOfTsu GhostOfTsu provided this above. Not sure what part is unclear. Jim Ryan said Sony would support PS4 for years after the launch of PS5. How you translate this into "NOT interested in cross generational support", I have no idea.

I've been a critic of Jim Ryan myself, but there is a lot of sheer bullshit being passed around about what he has said.

And yes, Avowed is exactly like God of War. Why you think release dates change the fact that it and Everwild were coming to Xbox One and now they are not, again I have no idea.

Im Out Morgan Freeman GIF
Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

r1951DU.jpg

Pull n Pray

Banned
Besides it just being more work, is there any reason they couldn't use different physics in the PS5 version of Gran Tursimo than they use in the PS4 version? We'll see how held back these games are when they actually release. Think about all the great games from last gen that were later ported to Switch. Were they held back?

r1951DU.jpg
xcloud is also part of the equation here there is nothing stopping ms putting the app on the older consoles and having them streaming only so technically you can play on the old consoles...sneaky but not as egg on your face as the sony messaging...that just reeked of "here to flog as many consoles as possible...this is what you want to hear ...and then change the narrative when you have accomplished your goal"......if Microsoft did this we would have multiple threads

VFXVeteran

Banned
I would remark that it's hard to innovate on game design when you're still constrained by last gen limitations. A lot of games are GPU limited but isn't that because we're generally looking at the games from an "eye candy" perspective?
No, we are GPU limited because the hardware is using a rasterizer which is 2D and all rendering is done in this 2D space. It won't be different until we switch to full 3D world space rendering calculations.

They'd be considered CPU limited if we consider the opportunity cost of all of the AI, physics, NPC agents, etc that we're not getting because of a limited CPU budget too, right?
No. The GPU is much faster than the CPUs. If we started offloading the majority of computations to the CPU, the game would bottleneck even the high end CPUs. For example, I would naturally use the CPU for physics calculations but if I can move my code to the GPU to do those same physics calculations, it would be computed several orders of magnitude faster. That's called GPGPU or general-purpose GPU.

It's always best to offload the most expensive calculations to the GPU since it's way more efficient than the CPU and it's RAM.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
The “competition” didn’t scream how they “believe in generations” and their game changing super fast SSD. Microsoft strategy with Series X and Gamepass was clear from the start.
tbh, more and more games starts utilizing the SSD though.
Village, demon souls, returnal and upcoming ratchet.
I think theres more but i cant remember.

Furthermore, proper next gen games will be utilizing the SSD as the older games were BC, so it cant utilize much.
If you played village on PS5, you should know how crazy the saving and loading speed were.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
So let me get this right.

PlayStation studios is about to releases its 10th title of this generation so far. These comprise 5 PS5 only, 2 Remasters and 3 Cross-Gen. The suggestion that 2 more of the 20-odd titles in development may also be cross-gen somehow makes them deceitful.

By contrast Xbox studios have released zero Series X|S only titles and cross-gen title.

For some reason PlayStation is the one doing it wrong? 🤷‍♂️

Edit: apparently I forgot about Gears Tactics.
Yes they did! You warriors don’t seriously believe Sony didn’t fuck up their messaging right? Otherwise they wouldn’t have had to clarify the platforms now instead of before! Get it through your skulls, they knew they shat the bed since they had to clarify it in a fucking blog post lol!
So? How is announcing it at a PS5 event considered a lie? If you announce a multiplatform game at an Xbox or Sony event is it considered a lie? There were a whole lot of games announced without confirmed platforms and Horizon FW was confirmed for PS4 before the PS5 even launched.
You have no idea how to make an argument! You just put your foot in your mouth! Are you agreeing with me or excusing Sony?

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
It would have been fine except for all the talk about generations and all the shade Sony was throwing at MS in interviews about how cross gen affects games. Turns out it was a PR shit sandwich and lots of Sony fans here have corn stuck in their teeth.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yeah, if Cyberpunk can do it then other games should have zero problem as well! Look how that turned out.
Most 3rd party games use this workflow. Just because CDPR screwed the pooch doesn't mean it's not the ideal way to scale algorithms/features down from high end. No company in their right minds would design a game around low-end systems and port up to the high-end systems despite being forced to make them work with low-end systems. In the case of a game like Horizon FW for example, I'm pretty sure they designed around the PC/PS5 and then scaled it down to PS4. The overall game design is essentially the same as the last one.

People should really try to disprove this myth that game engines (which are completely agnostic) are designed around the lowest common denominator. I've mentioned this over and over again to no avail. People still think that somehow a next-gen system will be leagues better if it never released to the lower end platforms. Some design decisions admittedly can play a factor like the concept of characters clothes or items in the game, but that's not the norm case.

The proof for disproving this myth is observing games releasing in the near future that will not include the PS4/Xbone and they will still look last gen and play the same like most games on the market no matter how new they are.

Last edited:

Three

Yes they did! You warriors don’t seriously believe Sony didn’t fuck up their messaging right? Otherwise they wouldn’t have had to clarify the platforms now instead of before! Get it through your skulls, they knew they shat the bed since they had to clarify it in a fucking blog post lol!

You have no idea how to make an argument! You just put your foot in your mouth! Are you agreeing with me or excusing Sony?
I'm saying presenting a game at a specific event doesn't mean it should be considered exclusive. Where have I put my foot in my mouth? HFW got a confirmed PS4 release in September of last year. Before PS5 launched and people are acting like this is a new revelation now. Omission isn't good but it also may just mean things aren't concrete until confirmed? Assumptions on anyones part do not make something a lie. GT7 was a lie though.

e&e

Banned
I'm saying presenting a game at a specific event doesn't mean it should be considered exclusive. Where have I put my foot in my mouth? HFW got a confirmed PS4 release in September of last year. Before PS5 launched and people are acting like this is a new revelation now. Omission isn't good but it also may just mean things aren't concrete until confirmed? Assumptions on anyones part do not make something a lie. GT7 was a lie though.
GT alone puts Sony in the “do not trust category”. Even if they confirm the platform, there is now a nag in your mind if it’s just PR. Man, I was so down on MS during the early XboxOne years (and they have built back so much trust with me) but success ALWAYS gets to a companies head and guess where we are again!

Topher

Gold Member
One was a reveal mistake fixed in a few days then other over a year later lol. You know like souls on PC mistake. That was corrected fast.

Fair point. Sony could have made it explicitly clear from the beginning that God of War wasn't a PS5 exclusive. At the same time, I've seen nothing that explicitly said either it or GT7 were said to be PS5 exclusives.

Jim Ryan was asked last year if God of War was PS5 exclusive and he refused to say either way.

Here is speculation about GT7:
That one is odd. I have no idea how anyone assumes saying GT7 is "coming 2021" implies it is a PS5 exclusive.

But I'm happy to be corrected on that.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Fair point. Sony could have made it explicitly clear from the beginning that God of War wasn't a PS5 exclusive. At the same time, I've seen nothing that explicitly said either it or GT7 were said to be PS5 exclusives.

Jim Ryan was asked last year if God of War was PS5 exclusive and he refused to say either way.

That one is odd. I have no idea how anyone assumes saying GT7 is "coming 2021" implies it is a PS5 exclusive.

Because of how Sony markets the game.
The title of the video "Gran Turismo 7 - Announcement Trailer | PS5", seems to implicate that its only available on PS5.

And take a look at 0:22 "for next gen"

elliot5

Well in some trailer it literally stated PS5 exclusive in the corner. Idk if it was that initial GT7 trailer tho or some later montage one.

Top Bottom