• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry criticize Sony's communciation about cross gen titles

NickFire

So you missed the collective outrage when Phil Spencer announced the Xbox angle would be for the Xbox One and One S to continue receiving cross gen titles? You missed a good bit of gaming coverage for the entire year of 2020 it seems lol
I saw plenty of people commenting on it, but primarily in message boards / comment sections. I don't recall much outrage in the press at all.

Spidey Fan

Banned
DF criticize Sony

Again GIF by memecandy

Red Carpet Gaby Wilson GIF by 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So you missed the collective outrage when Phil Spencer announced the Xbox angle would be for the Xbox One and One S to continue receiving cross gen titles? You missed a good bit of gaming coverage for the entire year of 2020 it seems lol
I missed Leadbetter and Battaglia reminding their viewers how bad it would be: you know, the same arguments they are using now against GT7 used against Forza 8 or others?

DF folks are doing their job criticising PS5’s approach for GT7 as they should, but they are not being honest as, once again, bad news one one side have always a whitewashed positive outlook while they are just stark concern if they happens to others.

Three

Sony did the same thing when MS promoted One X at 6tf. Cerny chimed in later on saying 4k is impossible and you need 8tf, and PS4 Pro hits 8tf at fp 8 or fp 16.

PS5 comes out which is way more powerful than One X and some games still don't hit native 4k.

You always got to watch Sony and their PR.
He said to run all current gen (PS4) games at 4k. Not that all games will be 4k he has no control over how people use the teraflops.

Lol, if even sony fanboys inside forums defend this shit (as you can see in this very topic) there is no hope for a big outrage on the internet, jimbo is gonna do the fuck he want ragardless...
There is no outrage because it's a mountain being made out of a molehill. Was Jim Ryan sketchy on the "we believe in generations" thing? Yes. Should he be called out on it? Yes. Did any game journos, or any of us initially push him on what that really meant? No. In the end, it's clever corporate talk just vague enough to mean anything he wants it to. Secondly, are we really going to believe such titles are going to suck because they are cross-gen? It's a gamble Sony decided to take in releasing the cross-gen games instead of waiting for the truly next-gen games to come out. Microsoft took the other route, so we will see which one works out better.

No, I can't play games at 30 fps. Fans like you are making this problem worse. 30 fps is no longer acceptable.

Actually you're making it worse by demanding the removal of the 30FPs option. Just stick with your 60FPs mode in Ratchet and let others enjoy improved visuals at 30FPs. You have three options in the game. Two are 60FPs modes and the third the 30FPs fidelity option. Many games give you both a 30FPs or 60FPs option.

You should know by now that 30FPs pushes visuals while 60FPs focuses on framerate. When it comes to marketing they usually will show the best looking version. But that's ok you can still play Ratchet with dowbgraded visuals at 60FPs. Nobody is taking that away from you.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Cross gen was inevitable, last gen some releases were as well,makes sense this time there will be more with increased dev time/costs.

And PS5->PS6 transition gonna be the same 🤭 Switch->Switch 2

friend just play Ratchet this week lol.
I have Rift Apart pre-ordered and I rarely pre-order games because I think the concept is ridiculous but that’s for another topic. The cross-gen strategy is one thing but it is the way how how Sony went with all the hype of a new-generation and all the SSD talk and how they deliberately tried to show that all the upcoming games as PS5 only. It is ridiculous and they should be criticized for it.

SLB1904

Banned
No, it is not. It is just the same BS warriors are using to try to make a hybrid PS5 exclusives plus cross generation / old gen games approach to transitions (the way Sony has been handling generation transitions more or less the past 20 years) look worse than having 0 exclusives.

The full quote is:
Lol why are you wasting your time. I heard kids are dropping school faster than ever. They probably don't know how to interpret a text

SLB1904

Banned
I have Rift Apart pre-ordered and I rarely pre-order games because I think the concept is ridiculous but that’s for another topic. The cross-gen strategy is one thing but it is the way how how Sony went with all the hype of a new-generation and all the SSD talk and how they deliberately tried to show that all the upcoming games as PS5 only. It is ridiculous and they should be criticized for it.
Yep. They had no reason to lie at all. I think is just habit

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean but doesn't this support my point? Maybe I was mistaken about whether it was possible before or not, because it obviously was possible. So if this is the case, what's the problem now? People are up in arms about the fact that they are doing the same thing that they've always done.

It's really strange.
Read my post again. Third parties have done this. First parties have not.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Jak 2 slide never meant to said that with a touch or a magic diary wand all games would be like that. 1.) this requires native games targeting it exclusively or as common minimum denominator and 2.) it was potential titles could realise but still required work. Same reasons XVA has not been maxed.

Impossible -> possible, very difficult -> difficult… that is what was promised as a capability and some games are already delivering on it.

This is not the first transition and they have handled other transitions with a mix of late current generation games and exclusive new generation ones, big difference is that cross generation and some patched games are enjoying RT and DualSense features… the latter is a next generation feature for sure.
"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features."
"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

unfortunately Jim Ryan has never been good with transparency or communication. He’s always been a marketing doublespeak guy

its not ideal, but ehh…Sony still believes in generations and still has next gen exclusives

I really don’t understand why this issue has blown up as much as it has. It’s not like there’s any real competition to the strategy they are employing

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Last of Us? First parties have definitely made some very late current generation games when the new console was coming out or was already out. Would I have wanted all games to be PS5 exclusives? Yes. Did I expect some games being cross generation? Yes, because of the above.

I can also believe the pandemic and manufacturing issues have caused and are causing more games being changed mid development to support PS4. I think they are over reacting but Ryan and Hulst seem more of the bean counter ruthless types than the dreamers to me… or maybe a mix of both.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Yeah, but they could've just said "We will be doing cross-gen but also have these cool PS5 exclusives".

When everyone was saying how disappointing "next-gen" looks so far, they came out with their generations statement to scoop up all the hype and praise....
Did they ever said the aren't doing cross gen?

Edit: and lol scooping all the hype. Xbox never had a chance lol

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, but they could've just said "We will be doing cross-gen but also have these cool PS5 exclusives".
Yes, they could, but then again it reflects how the previous generations were handled and we are seeing big and small PS5 exclusive bets and some of the PS5 exclusive features (DualSense haptics and adaptive triggers to name one being used on these cross generation games and used well). Ryan’s statement can be summarised in “PS5 will be a clear generational jump in many aspects and games will show it off”. No lie detected.

DF is doing the right thing pointing out how games are going to be held back by PS4 support, but Battaglia and Leadbetter are being hypocritical as they said basically nothing of the sort about XSX and S and XOne especially, but that is par for the course for both.

John L. did point it out back then for XSX and is doing it now, I can and do respect that.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I agree with them.

But now it is a thing because it is Sony… it was a issue since the beginning of the “forward compatibility” talk or even the Series S talk.

I hope Sony learn and change that instance.

To be fair the GT7 claim is weird because I don’t believe Kaz accepted that and he is probably not developing a cross-gen game… it doesn’t fit his character… I hope I’m right and the claim was just a misunderstanding from some high Sony executive.

Topher

Gold Member

Consoles have turned into PC derivatives. Porting is easy and lucrative. As long as it remains, I expect cross-gen will be fairly standard.

unfortunately Jim Ryan has never been good with transparency or communication. He’s always been a marketing doublespeak guy

its not ideal, but ehh…Sony still believes in generations and still has next gen exclusives

I really don’t understand why this issue has blown up as much as it has. It’s not like there’s any real competition to the strategy they are employing

Ryan's communication is really bad. What he said about believing in generations is fairly benign although fanboys love to jump on it. But the trailers last year were all over the place. You've got some labeled as PS5 that were cross-gen and you've got others like Demon Souls saying it is coming to PC. Sony's PR team needs some QA in the accuracy department.

What I find perplexing is that now the DF guys are talking about games being "held back" by last gen. So now that whole debate is being rehashed because it is Sony? Interesting.

Last edited:

kyoji

Demon's Souls

Returnal

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

they believe more than the competition atleast
not to mention all of these games are shining examples of the SSD at work.

where is xbox 12 flops so hyped up at work? where is the game 7months into the Gen? lets not talk about that though.

Playstation should clarify some of its stances on certain things, but lets not pretend here, and turn blind eyes.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Because it encourages others the follow suit. If you are making a game and target a legitimate 60 fps, you have to contend with marketing against a game with 30 fps visuals. Morons just look at the pretty graphics and we all lose when these tactics win.
You're talking as if literally 0 person in this world wants to play in 30 FPS. Sony is giving options: a 30 FPS mode for those who want higher graphical fidelity and 60 FPS to those who want more frames per second.

Just because someone might want to play in the 30 FPS mode for higher graphical fidelity doesn't make them a "moron". That's a very stupid thing to say.

I missed Leadbetter and Battaglia reminding their viewers how bad it would be: you know, the same arguments they are using now against GT7 used against Forza 8 or others?

DF folks are doing their job criticising PS5’s approach for GT7 as they should, but they are not being honest as, once again, bad news one one side have always a whitewashed positive outlook while they are just stark concern if they happens to others.
Maybe it's my perception, but I was led to believe GT7 was ps5 exclusive.

I didn't ever believe Forza would be XSX/PC exclusive.

And just to remind you, this is from the marketing released, involving both of the games you mentioned. It would be no different if Sony came out from the beginning, saying it would be on ps4/5 consoles. That's the big difference between both parties marketing, and it led playstation fans to believe they were getting a generationally different game/games for ps5.

Three

When everyone was saying how disappointing "next-gen" looks so far, they came out with their generations statement to scoop up all the hype and praise....
They didn't IMO. I mean how could they be saying next gen looks good for GoW for example when all we had was a logo. They came out with their generations statement because they had exclusives announced, because they released a new controller required for PS5 games, and an interviewer asked why they were going a different route to MS. To which they replied "we believe in generations". Some people are trying to use that to mean "no crossgen games" though even when we had Miles . People are trying to say they were not upfront and in a way that's true especially with GT7. With GoW it simply was not announced at all though. People talking about MS being upfront are not telling the truth though because they actually said one thing and started doing the exact opposite with crossgen games.

ethomaz

Banned

DF never criticized the ideia of “forward compatibility” from MS at all… they actually said they will wait to see how it works.

But when the issue in on Sony side… we’ll you know… the press hits hard.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

And just to remind you, this is from the marketing released, involving both of the games you mentioned. It would be no different if Sony came out from the beginning, saying it would be on ps4/5 consoles. That's the big difference between both parties marketing, and it led playstation fans to believe they were getting a generationally different game/games for ps5.

Going to reiterate it here, but these are from the same collection of videos that initially said Demon Souls was coming to PC. The accuracy of last year's summer showcase was full of bullshit apparently.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Last of Us? First parties have definitely made some very late current generation games when the new console was coming out or was already out. Would I have wanted all games to be PS5 exclusives? Yes. Did I expect some games being cross generation? Yes, because of the above.

I can also believe the pandemic and manufacturing issues have caused and are causing more games being changed mid development to support PS4. I think they are over reacting but Ryan and Hulst seem more of the bean counter ruthless types than the dreamers to me… or maybe a mix of both.
The last of us wasnt cross gen. it came out six months before the PS4 launched. it was ported as a remaster just like all the remasters this gen including Mass Effect, Bulletstorm, Skyrim, Batman Arkham Collection and GoW3. Thats not cross gen.

Cross gen are games that release simultaneously on next gen after a console launches.

And pandemic had nothing to do with GoW, Horizon and GT7 being cross gen. These games started dev in 2017 and 2018. 3-4 years before coronavirus and chip shortages were a thing.

hemo memo

Gold Member

What is Jim Ryan good at? Isn’t the PS5 strong start because of the good will of the PS4 gen?

skit_data

To be fair the GT7 claim is weird because I don’t believe Kaz accepted that and he is probably not developing a cross-gen game… it doesn’t fit his character… I hope I’m right and the claim was just a misunderstanding from some high Sony executive.
Well, Hulst is from the Netherlands so you never know.

Anyone know his PSN-ID? bl4Ze_247_HermentheHulst_x420x by any chance?

Edit: Add the fact that he put his PS5 the wrong side down. Clearly a pothead.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

You said he was lying about the SSD im just saying it will be worth the hype, but be patient and enjoy the games coming soon 😁

Last edited:
Consoles have turned into PC derivatives. Porting is easy and lucrative. As long as it remains, I expect cross-gen will be fairly standard.

Ryan's communication is really bad. What he said about believing in generations is fairly benign although fanboys love to jump on it. But the trailers last year were all over the place. You've got some labeled as PS5 that were cross-gen and you've got others like Demon Souls saying it is coming to PC. Sony's PR team needs some QA in the accuracy department.

What I find perplexing is that now the DF guys are talking about games being "held back" by last gen. So now that whole debate is being rehashed because it is Sony? Interesting.

the other thing is that these “cross gen” games from Sony are clearly going beyond traditional cross gen games that only improved frame rate or resolution

so for games like miles and horizon they are clearly a pretty damn big leap even if they aren’t taking full advantage

stuff like better textures, assets, models, lighting, Ray tracing, etc.

you can’t look at HFW and say with a straight face that it’s a last gen looking game in the same manner as Ass Creed black flag on ps4

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I get that, the point is do we believe them if they said they changed their mind after the initial announcement or not?

You can say they lied, I can say I can believed they changed their mind. I can believe Xbox supports Xbox One and has 0 XSX exclusive out of the kindness of their hearts not to exclude any Xbox One user or you could believe that their big stable of new devs had barely started and would not have something big ready soon.

I am not happy about GT7 being developed with PS4 in mind as I now need to wait for GT8 to be the real big next generation jump I wanted for the series.

I did not think ALL game would be exclusive, so overall we are still debating 0 exclusives vs 4+ exclusives and a few more cross generation games in the launch window and going forward.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The last of us wasnt cross gen. it came out six months before the PS4 launched. it was ported as a remaster just like all the remasters this gen including Mass Effect, Bulletstorm, Skyrim, Batman Arkham Collection and GoW3. Thats not cross gen.

Cross gen are games that release simultaneously on next gen after a console launches.

And pandemic had nothing to do with GoW, Horizon and GT7 being cross gen. These games started dev in 2017 and 2018. 3-4 years before coronavirus and chip shortages were a thing.
Cross generations were not a thing, but games that were published very late for the previous console and barely enhanced for the new one were. Compared to those cross generation games are an improvement: PS3 to PS4 mucked things up as it as the only transition where Sony did not have BC with the previous console. Many of Sony’s cross generation games are at least paying more than lip service support to new features such as DualSense integration which is appreciated.

Games can change their target mid way, considering how long the dev cycles are.

Last edited:
What is Jim Ryan good at? Isn’t the PS5 strong start because of the good will of the PS4 gen?

Jim Ryan may be very good at other aspects of his job that aren’t noticeable - logistics, supply chain, strategy, etc…

he’s abysmal at being straightforward and transparent…sometimes that’s a requirement to getting to his position sadly, just say a bunch of political jargon that’s not 100% true

Top Bottom