• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Questions:

1) Is there a good checklist / locations for stuff like paintings / blue prints?

2) For ghost/shadow. If a guard is alerted that a guard is missing or something am I still fine as long as they don't see me?

Questions:

1) Is there a good checklist / locations for stuff like paintings / blue prints?

2) For ghost/shadow. If a guard is alerted that a guard is missing or something am I still fine as long as they don't see me?

For question 1, you can check YouTube videos on where to find them or on the Dishonored wiki.

For question 2, your ghost status should be fine as long no one spots you. Check the stats menu just in case to make sure if you got spotted or not.

I noticed you asked about mission select on previous page. It will come in next month's update along with custom difficulty options.

For question 1, you can check YouTube videos on where to find them or on the Dishonored wiki.

For question 2, your ghost status should be fine as long no one spots you. Check the stats menu just in case to make sure if you got spotted or not.

I noticed you asked about mission select on previous page. It will come in next month's update along with custom difficulty options.

Thanks!

illusionary

So about stiltons manor

Am I the only one getting really tired of this "timeshift" mechanic? It's like this year suddenly they all thought of this with Titanfall 2, this and another game I can't remember atm as well as that low-budget movie tie-in timeshifting game from this year or 2015

Titanfall 2 is still on my to-play list so Dishonored 2's implementation is the first time that I'm encountering this (at least, recently), but personally I find the implementation here fantastic, and immensely satisfying with a stealth playstyle.

First is the dark vision, why do I need to keep reactivating it all the time? What's the point? I don't remember if it was like this in the previous game but I really can't see the logic behind it.

The other one is the runes/bonecharms markers. You can barely see them in a bright area when you take the heart out.

But the game has been amazing so far, it just has some minor problems that can be annoying sometimes.

Dark Vision was the same in the first game. It's meant to give you a reason to not just have it enabled all the time. I'm actually a fan of that, because people just play too many games with "Detective Vision" enabled at all times.

For the runes/bonecharms, you can "lock in" a specific rune or bonecharm by hovering over it and pressing the correct button. It highlights it and makes it easier to see, and also keeps it on your display when you put the heart away.

I didn't know it was possible to eliminate
the real Delilah is at the top of the pillars in her painting world (Damn me for thinking the real one was sitting on the throne)
in the final mission

Could be useful for my eventual non-lethal/ghost playthrough. This game...

Nyx

Started this last night, picked Emily and regular difficulty setting.

Is the game supposed to be hard? Cause it took me a lot (!) of tries to get out of Dunwall.

Maybe I shouldn't have started playing this right after long sessions of BF1 and Titanfall 2.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this up on PS4 tonight. Went with Emily and low chaos. A few kills here and there, but did the nonlethal option for the targets every mission. Enjoyed it well enough, much like the first, given I don't really like stealth games. Dicked around a bit afterward with doing a Corvo kill everyone run, but scrapped it as it wasn't different enough and I have too much in the backlog I'd rather play.

Solid 8/10 for me.

Started this last night, picked Emily and regular difficulty setting.

Is the game supposed to be hard? Cause it took me a lot (!) of tries to get out of Dunwall.

Maybe I shouldn't have started playing this right after long sessions of BF1 and Titanfall 2.

Depends... Did you play the first one? What playstyle are too going for? Lethal, non lethal, assault, stealth? Assault may be a bit harder if you're new to series and not used to this style of combat. It also gets easier once you start unlocking your powers.

Nyx

Depends... Did you play the first one? What playstyle are too going for? Lethal, non lethal, assault, stealth? Assault may be a bit harder if you're new to series and not used to this style of combat. It also gets easier once you start unlocking your powers.

New to the series. At first I thought I could kill all the guards (one by one) but that didn't work. As soon as I got spotted I got overwhelmed.

Sneaking past most of them worked in the end but still that took quite some tries. Think I need to adapt to this being a stealth game first. ;)

Anustart

Just got the game today thanks to a generous gaf member dupy!

problem is, game only starts like every 1 in 10 tries. get a dialogue saying cant reach the internet. i suppose this is denuvo? any fix? i seem to have this issue with any game that uses it.

Just finished mission 7... this game is really good. I think I'm taking way too much time with the missions since I'm already at ~17h, but it feels good just to explore the levels trying to find all of the runes/boneshards. I'm doing a low chaos playthrough playing with Corvo, so I'll probably be way faster on my 2nd run with Emily (high caos).

Dark Vision was the same in the first game. It's meant to give you a reason to not just have it enabled all the time. I'm actually a fan of that, because people just play too many games with "Detective Vision" enabled at all times.

But you can have it enabled all the time, it's not like the game penalizes you for it, you just have to press L2 over and over when you want the dark vision. It's annoying.

For the runes/bonecharms, you can "lock in" a specific rune or bonecharm by hovering over it and pressing the correct button. It highlights it and makes it easier to see, and also keeps it on your display when you put the heart away.

I'm talking about when you want to decide what rune/bonecharm you want to pursue next. If you are in a bright area forget about being able to see them. But it's a really minor problem, I just go to a darker place to select the next one.

Curufinwe

New to the series. At first I thought I could kill all the guards (one by one) but that didn't work. As soon as I got spotted I got overwhelmed.

Sneaking past most of them worked in the end but still that took quite some tries. Think I need to adapt to this being a stealth game first. ;)

It's much easier if you go high chaos and kill everyone who gets in the way. Make sure to get the power that turns dead bodies to ash so you don't have to worry about corpses being discovered. And the shadow walk power.

http://www.gamesradar.com/dishonored-2-powers-you-should-unlock-asap/

ghostwich

Have you played Dishonored 1 and its DLC expansions (Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches)?

It's much easier if you go high chaos and kill everyone who gets in the way. Make sure to get the power that turns dead bodies to ash so you don't have to worry about corpses being discovered. And the shadow walk power.

http://www.gamesradar.com/dishonored-2-powers-you-should-unlock-asap/

High Chaos is "easy" but you do miss out on so much nuance. Going stealth easily inflates a level's playtime by double (or more!) but it has its rewards. There's always more than one way to solve every problem.

Just got the game today thanks to a generous gaf member dupy!

problem is, game only starts like every 1 in 10 tries. get a dialogue saying cant reach the internet. i suppose this is denuvo? any fix? i seem to have this issue with any game that uses it.

Yes, Dishonored 2 uses Denuvo.

Finally getting around to doing a Flesh and Steel run, and having surprising amounts of fun with it. I though it'd be a bit of a chore, but I like it a lot. It forces you to use weapons and strategies that I typically ignore on a regular playthrough. It's also giving me an even higher appreciation for the level design in this game. The fact that it still plays so naturally without blink/far reach is pretty incredible.

I picked this up on the steam sale after seeing some of the talk around gaf regarding the stellar level design. I am REALLY enjoying it so far. Im playing as emily and trying to not be real obsessive about reloading if i get spotted. I killed a few dudes on the first level but think ill try non-lethal the rest of the way.

ArjanN

how is that a misconception? it's literally the definition of stealth

I agree that domino and mesmerize are useful skills, but there are still plenty of enemies around. maybe the reason for that is high chaos, but I still dread a stealth/no kill run as corvo. I'll see how it goes. My goal is definitely the shadow achievement.

Technically murdering silently is still stealthy, I'm guessing that's how most people actually play 'stealth' or at least still knock people out, ghosting is almost always more of a self imposed challenge in stealth games or for achievements, from a practical standpoint clearing out the guards is pretty much always way easier.

Have you played Dishonored 1 and its DLC expansions (Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches)?

High Chaos is "easy" but you do miss out on so much nuance. Going stealth easily inflates a level's playtime by double (or more!) but it has its rewards. There's always more than one way to solve every problem.

Yes, Dishonored 2 uses Denuvo.

The LITERAL first words in the post you quoted is that they're new to the series.

I thought stealth first was a good way to learn where things are and get yourself powered up a bit. Question, for a no power run. Can you still use bone charms?

Well, that's Flesh and Steel in the bag. Took me about 5 hours. Really fun (taking down Witches without magic was particularly satisfying -- accomplishing what the Overseers never could). So far I've done:

Emily, Low Chaos
Corvo, High Chaos
Emily, NG+ High Chaos
Corvo, NG++ High Chaos
Corvo, Flesh and Steel High Chaos

Total playtime at 75 hours. Definitely my GOTY, despite various problems. And I still want to do a Ghost playthrough and a Corvo Low Chaos playthrough...

Curufinwe

Absolutely. My low chaos playthru as Corvo took much longer and I saw more of the levels.

Dishonored 2 really has to be played at least twice.

Terra_Ex

Is there some kind of known bug with high chaos epilogues. I just completed my initial playthrough of the game, played as Emily, mostly lethal+stealth, intentionally killed loads of guards along the way, every mission was evaluated as "High Chaos". Then, last night I finished the game,
killed (the real) Delilah and revived Corvo and the achievement pops for Low Chaos and I end up getting the Low Chaos epilogue. Is there some other factor that I'm not aware of playing into the final evaluation?
Mtjz65f.jpg
The image shows I'm in High Chaos while inside Delilah's painting at the very end of the game (the quick save), yet less than a minute later the epilogue auto save determines that I'm in Low Chaos (the mission evaluation for Death to the Empress also indicates Low Chaos). I did let the Crown Killer & Stilton live, is that what's tipping the scales back to Low Chaos in the ending?

Well, that's Flesh and Steel in the bag. Took me about 5 hours. Really fun (taking down Witches without magic was particularly satisfying -- accomplishing what the Overseers never could). So far I've done:

Emily, Low Chaos
Corvo, High Chaos
Emily, NG+ High Chaos
Corvo, NG++ High Chaos
Corvo, Flesh and Steel High Chaos

Total playtime at 75 hours. Definitely my GOTY, despite various problems. And I still want to do a Ghost playthrough and a Corvo Low Chaos playthrough...

On NG++ now.
NG: Emily, low chaos, no kill.
NG+: Corvo, high chaos, Corvo was a monster.
NG++: Back to emily, going low chaos again and ghost run. Having 100%'ed a game in a long while but I want to do it to this game. So I'm going to try and do all of the achievements I can between this and the next run.
NG+++ (planned next): Flesh and bone run with Corvo and get any of the last achievements needed.

eshwaaz

Just started this yesterday. Only on the second level, but having a great time exploring every nook and cranny and considering every infiltration opportunity. Strong sense of place and atmosphere, and the art style, as expected, is terrific.

I am a bit disappointed from a technical perspective, though - there are a lot of distracting shortcomings:
-jarring LOD
-flickery, low res lighting and shadows. I keep thinking I'm seeing a blocky, twitchy glitch, only to find out I'm looking at a thin bit of cast light on a surface
-some really ugly textures
-blood spatters disappear after only a few seconds - I'd almost rather they weren't there at all
-bad lip sync
-audio that gets cut off awkwardly

It just doesn't feel very refined in terms of presentation. That doesn't stop it from being fun and I am definitely excited to play more, but there's a degree of sloppiness I didn't expect.

Chitown B

Well, that's Flesh and Steel in the bag. Took me about 5 hours. Really fun (taking down Witches without magic was particularly satisfying -- accomplishing what the Overseers never could).

Did you have any issues without blink/reach + double height jump? I worry about that.

Is there some kind of known bug with high chaos epilogues. I just completed my initial playthrough of the game, played as Emily, mostly lethal+stealth, intentionally killed loads of guards along the way, every mission was evaluated as "High Chaos". Then, last night I finished the game,
killed (the real) Delilah and revived Corvo and the achievement pops for Low Chaos and I end up getting the Low Chaos epilogue. Is there some other factor that I'm not aware of playing into the final evaluation?

The image shows I'm in High Chaos while inside Delilah's painting at the very end of the game (the quick save), yet less than a minute later the epilogue auto save determines that I'm in Low Chaos (the mission evaluation for Death to the Empress also indicates Low Chaos). I did let the Crown Killer & Stilton live, is that what's tipping the scales back to Low Chaos in the ending?

That's really weird, definitely looks like a bug. Leaving those two alive definitely would not swap you back to Low Chaos.

On NG++ now.
NG: Emily, low chaos, no kill.
NG+: Corvo, high chaos, Corvo was a monster.
NG++: Back to emily, going low chaos again and ghost run. Having 100%'ed a game in a long while but I want to do it to this game. So I'm going to try and do all of the achievements I can between this and the next run.
NG+++ (planned next): Flesh and bone run with Corvo and get any of the last achievements needed.

Awesome, I'm also going to try to get all the achievements. That's also something I usually don't care about, but I'm having enough fun with this one to give it a go. I missed a couple things on my current NG+++ Emily Ghost playthrough, so I'll try to mop up the last achievements on my next Corvo Low Chaos run (which may be my last for a long time).

Did you have any issues without blink/reach + double height jump? I worry about that.

Nope, pretty much zero issues. They put a ton of thought into making the level design work really well without blink and double jump. (Although it does help if you've played the game already and know general paths. Typically you just need to look around a bit more for something to climb up to get where you would usually just blink to.)

Chitown B

The levels accomodate that. When I discovered the more obscure routes to the rooftops I felt like a parkour genius.

Nope, pretty much zero issues. They put a ton of thought into making the level design work really well without blink and double jump. (Although it does help if you've played the game already and know general paths. Typically you just need to look around a bit more for something to climb up to get where you would usually just blink to.)

Thanks!

Dalibor68

Banned
What a shit ending.
Just run into the painting, kill Delilah, revive Emily and it's over. No proper monologues/dialogues, it just ends and then the game presents you a short Fallout-esque end summary.
What the fuck? I mean the story and characters weren't particularly good/anything special to begin with but still that ending just sucked and left me disappointed. Even "technically" I thought it ended abruptly because in the travel log there was still one blank spot before you depart to Dunwill(dunwall being the 7th travel log).

Chitown B

What a shit ending.
Just run into the painting, kill Delilah, revive Emily and it's over. No proper monologues/dialogues, it just ends and then the game presents you a short Fallout-esque end summary.
What the fuck? I mean the story and characters weren't particularly good/anything special to begin with but still that ending just sucked and left me disappointed. Even "technically" I thought it ended abruptly because in the travel log there was still one blank spot before you depart to Dunwill(dunwall being the 7th travel log).

There was no emotional story or characters we controlled before the setup. I'm not sure what you wanted. The ending is different depending on what you do, and it tells what happens. Same as DH1.

SJRB

Gold Member
There was no emotional story or characters we controlled before the setup. I'm not sure what you wanted. The ending is different depending on what you do, and it tells what happens. Same as DH1.

Spending 30+ hours on a game and being rewarded with a 1-minute epilogue feels "cheap". I disliked the ending too. It should've shown the results of your low/high chaos in more detail, maybe a cutscene or two. A bunch of static sequences with narration is hardly a proper sendoff for such a great game.

"Same as DH1" is no excuse.

Both Dishonored games and the new Deus Ex games seem to follow the formula of an ending that's basically just a slideshow explaining the results of certain choices in the game. Not a huge fan of that. I know they want you to know the effects of your choices but I'd rather have a more interesting ending even if it meant not knowing some of that stuff (or maybe just relegating it to a text synopsis at the end).

Dalibor68

Banned
Both Dishonored games and the new Deus Ex games seem to follow the formula of an ending that's basically just a slideshow explaining the results of certain choices in the game. Not a huge fan of that. I know they want you to know the effects of your choices but I'd rather have a more interesting ending even if it meant not knowing some of that stuff (or maybe just relegating it to a text synopsis at the end).

At least Mankind Divided had a post-credit bonus ending scene.

Chitown B

Spending 30+ hours on a game and being rewarded with a 1-minute epilogue feels "cheap". I disliked the ending too. It should've shown the results of your low/high chaos in more detail, maybe a cutscene or two. A bunch of static sequences with narration is hardly a proper sendoff for such a great game.

"Same as DH1" is no excuse.

Meh. I personally don't care. I never cared that much about the story. It's a revenge story, pretty cookie cutter. I care about the environment/books, combat, and stealth. The end is not that important to me.

SJRB

Gold Member

Mankind Divided's ending was bizarre at how incredibly specific and tailor-made it was for your playthrough. Imagine not being Adam Jensen and sitting at home and watching that news broadcast talking about the most random shit that sometimes happened days ago.

I don't think I ever found any immersive sim games that had a satisfying ending (I count Dishonored 1/2 as among those games). Maybe Deus Ex 1, but I felt pretty meh about the endings too.

I guess for me, the journey matters more than the destination. But yes, they could've expanded more on the endings for Dishonored 2.

Still, despite the issues, I still look forward to what will the eventual DLCs bring.

Dalibor68

Banned
Meh. I personally don't care. I never cared that much about the story. It's a revenge story, pretty cookie cutter. I care about the environment/books, combat, and stealth. The end is not that important to me.
Well good for you?

For me this sort of thing differentiates between a good and a great game. There is absolutely zero reason why an immersive sim can not have great story and characters and "some other games also have no good ending" is not an excuse at all.

Again I would have at least expected some sort of Delilah and/or outsider monologue as well as a longer and more detailed end summary instead of just "kthxbye".

All this delilah setup for essentially nothing.

Regardless of disappointment to the endings, I'm glad they are attainable through gameplay decisions (who you killed/who you sided/who you spared) even when they are affected by your chaos level.

There's no way of getting Dishonored 1 packed in with Dishonored 2 digitally is there? Specifically on the PS4.

I'm tempted to bite but it's been years since I played the first, and Dishonored 1 is the same price as the sequel on PSN!

SJRB

Gold Member
There's no way of getting Dishonored 1 packed in with Dishonored 2 digitally is there? Specifically on the PS4.

I'm tempted to bite but it's been years since I played the first, and Dishonored 1 is the same price as the sequel on PSN!

Why not just go for the disc version? The Dishonored 2 Limited Edition comes with D1 Definitive Edition for free.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Hey guys! I just bought this game and wanted to ask a question before I sit down to play it. If anyone who's played through the game could give me an answer, I'd be really appreciative.

I recall an interview with the developers where they hinted that playing through The Witches of Brigmore DLC for the original game might be essential to understand a certain element of the story. Is this true? I played through the original game multiple times, although I never got the opportunity to play the DLC before I ended up trading it in.

Thank you in advance!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys! I just bought this game and wanted to ask a question before I sit down to play it. If anyone who's played through the game could give me an answer, I'd be really appreciative.

I recall an interview with the developers where they hinted that playing through The Witches of Brigmore DLC for the original game might be essential to understand a certain element of the story. Is this true? I played through the original game multiple times, although I never got the opportunity to play the DLC before I ended up trading it in.

Thank you in advance!

It's sort of a continuation of that story and the main game. You don't need to play it first, but if you can hold out I definitely recommend it. It gives you a bit more background and investment, plus the DLC was better than the main game imo.

Thank you in advance!

Dishonored 2 absolutely continues off of the main plotline of The Brigmore Witches. It's not necessary to understand Dishonored 2 at all, but I'd recommend playing both The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches anyway because they are really good.

Thank you in advance!

As both Screaming Meat and Laurentius explained it, Dishonored 2 continues from the Brigmore Witches and the main game

You should play both Daud DLCs (Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches) because they are amazing DLCs that parallels to the first game's story and Daud is a really amazing protagonist

SJRB

Gold Member
I played Dishonored 2 without having played the D1 DLC and some stuff definately went over my head. I should've played the DLC, and to be fair I'm not even sure why I haven't.

IMO the story in Dishonored 2 isn't special enough for that to make the Dishonored 1 DLCs a requirement. The real reason to play them is because of how good they are.

Top Bottom