• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ HERO 2 |OT| Bobby Says Knock You Out

Sai-kun

Banned
dreamcastmaster said:
It's a much more refined version of the original game. Freestyle sections are fantastic. Soundtrack is much better and the free patch to import DJ1 DLC is very welcome.

Worth buying for sure.

Wait, is that patch out now? I thought it said it wasn't coming for awhile.

After playing for about an hour, I can say this game is much more "musical" than part 1. What I mean by that is it's a lot of fun with the freestyle sections where you can switch between tracks, and the freestyle sample sections with preloaded samples that make sense, along with freestyle scratching sections, you actually can put your own "spin" on the song and make it your own.

That, together with the new interface, and even little things like stat tracking items showing up in menus, makes this a worthy upgrade. I'm happy. And I've encountered quite a few "danceable" songs already.

Jax said:
saw this at the shop today. Too bad about my activision boycott.

will get it once its absolutely bargain basement. :D
That is too bad, well just realize you're screwing over the developers that worked hard on this game.

MercuryLS

Banned
Is that free DJHero1 also for Wal-Mart Canada? I work by one, my pick it up tomorrow. For DJH1/2/Turntable for $100...I can justify that.

Shaneus

As a DJ, utterly despised the first one (because none of the mixes made sense) but with the special celeb mixes (A-Trak omfg) this might be a bit more worthy. If it is, I'll be glad I picked up the renegade ed. of the first one for $50AU, if only for the controller.

When you hit 50 consecutive notes/scrtaches the rewind icon is lit up and you can spin back any section of the track to replay it. It helps boost score, but you must use it carefully so as the crossfader is in the right position and you dont miss any notes.

dreamcastmaster said:
When you hit 50 consecutive notes/scrtaches the rewind icon is lit up and you can spin back any section of the track to replay it. It helps boost score, but you must use it carefully so as the crossfader is in the right position and you dont miss any notes.

Yah well I get the rewind icon, but sometimes I can rewind, and sometimes I can't. I don't get it. You can't just rewind anywhere you want anymore it seems.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Yah well I get the rewind icon, but sometimes I can rewind, and sometimes I can't. I don't get it. You can't just rewind anywhere you want anymore it seems.

If you look on the sides of the track, you'll occasionally see blue markers. Those are the song's checkpoints. The rewind function takes you back to the most recent checkpoint, unless you're like less than 3 seconds into the newest checkpoint. It's best to rewind right after passing through a checkpoint, because it'll take you back to the one before it.

DrAndonuts said:
If you look on the sides of the track, you'll occasionally see blue markers. Those are the song's checkpoints. The rewind function takes you back to the most recent checkpoint, unless you're like less than 3 seconds into the newest checkpoint. It's best to rewind right after passing through a checkpoint, because it'll take you back to the one before it.

Ahhhhh!

I also think part of my problem was I wasn't spinning the platter fast enough. I swear you have to spin it faster in this one than in part 1 in order for the rewind to work. Or maybe it's just me.

Darvan

I wonder GAF is it better to just play this game on the hardest setting so you can really learn how to play? The reason why I ask normally with music games they teach you some really bad habits on the lower difficult settings

MercuryLS said:
Is that free DJHero1 also for Wal-Mart Canada? I work by one, my pick it up tomorrow. For DJH1/2/Turntable for $100...I can justify that.
I'd like to know this too. I actually went to my local one yesterday and they actually didn't have it for the PS3 or the 360. They had the Wii bundle though which said nothing of including the game and the staff weren't helpful either as they just said they'd never heard of that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Darvan said:
I wonder GAF is it better to just play this game on the hardest setting so you can really learn how to play? The reason why I ask normally with music games they teach you some really bad habits on the lower difficult settings
Start on at least Hard if you want things to match up to the song better.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Ahhhhh!

I also think part of my problem was I wasn't spinning the platter fast enough. I swear you have to spin it faster in this one than in part 1 in order for the rewind to work. Or maybe it's just me.
Yeah I think you're right. I was doing lazy DJH1 style rewinds yesterday and they weren't registering.

Oh yeah and in other news, Xbox Live avatars look really bad in this game. Like big Frankenstein monsters. I guess they had to change up their proportions but they look kind of awful. Oh well.

I like how the mixes flow into each other on a set list in this game. I remember the first game had a very noticeable loading period between mixes. I also didn't know about the megamixes until I started playing yesterday. That's a very cool concept. It feels like you are actually at a venue listening to DJ mix a bunch of songs.

Dyno

Tried it last night for the first time. Lots of fun and the whole room was bopping to the music. This may be the first plastic periferal game that I pick up.

This game has completely blown me away. I love the parts where you get full control over the crossfader...I usually like to do the vocals acapella for that.

bryehn

Just beat the Tiesto battle. It was awesome. Omen vs The Box mixed by Scratch Perverts.

Irony: Tiesto sucks and does not scratch or spin breakbeats. Plus his character model is way too good-looking.

As a guy that has real DJ equipment, I'm finding this version to have a lot more freedom than before ,but I'd kill for a "club mode" that allows you to mix the tracks together as you see fit.

Also, drum and bass and dubstep are sorely under represented here.

TheHakku

bryehn said:
Just beat the Tiesto battle. It was awesome. Omen vs The Box mixed by Scratch Perverts.

Irony: Tiesto sucks and does not scratch or spin breakbeats.
Yeah. The whole battle I was shouting at my screen "YOU ARE NOT A SCRATCH DJ! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

bryehn

Just finished up, the Shadow set was by far the best in the game and a real example of how mashups should work, glad to see a second dnb song in there.

Nothing really challenging in this game though, aside from maybe Super Battle Breaks. Certainly no Groundhog...

Does anyone know what the deal with the star meter is? Can you actually get a 6th star for FCing or what?

bryehn said:
Does anyone know what the deal with the star meter is? Can you actually get a 6th star for FCing or what?
No and I don't think so. It's kind of weird though.. I figured it was just so you could see the bar go up after you hit your 5 stars.

d0c_zaius

bryehn said:
Also, drum and bass and dubstep are sorely under represented here.

Yea this has been keeping me from picking this up, but the reviews look pretty good despite the song list being more pop focused.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
robut said:
Totally agree with this and it's a damn shame this title is going to be greatly overlooked.
The buzz might help. This was totally off my radar (never even considered buying the first) but all these positive impressions have me strongly considering buying this over RB3. I'm up for a new music game; just so sick of the same old formula. Which means I'm probably the target market for this.

I presume there's basically no difference between PS3 and 360?

AstroLad said:
The buzz might help. This was totally off my radar (never even considered buying the first) but all these positive impressions have me strongly considering buying this over RB3. I'm up for a new music game; just so sick of the same old formula. Which means I'm probably the target market for this.

There wasn't last time.

Mr Jared

I'd just like to say that while this game is amazing, I'd really love to know who thought it was a good idea to include achievements worth 1, 3, 16 and 18 points. It's really freaking annoying to have a goofed up gamerscore thanks to one game.

Mr Jared said:
I'd just like to say that while this game is amazing, I'd really love to know who thought it was a good idea to include achievements worth 1, 3, 16 and 18 points. It's really freaking annoying to have a goofed up gamerscore thanks to one game.
You're one of those huh? :lol

Not trying to be mean but I have a friend who's the same way. Likes a nice gamerscore ending in 5 or 0.

Fixed1979

AstroLad said:

The only problem you may have is multiplayer, I haven't had a chance to try it out in DJH2 but with a max of 3 it's not quite the group party game that RB is/was. The multiplayer is at leaps and bounds above the original DJH, the guitar/dj songs were not fucking good.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AstroLad said:
The buzz might help. This was totally off my radar (never even considered buying the first) but all these positive impressions have me strongly considering buying this over RB3.
The first title had similar buzz since it was new and different.

As long as they improved from the original, this was going to be a sure-fire bet.

I really like this game but man I'm getting sick of the rap/hip hop. Seems like that makes up about 75% of the game.

Edit: Also, enough with the Salt-n-Pepa. Jesus H Christ. "Push it" wasn't good when it came out 20 years ago, and it's embarrassing now.

kaskade

Mr Jared said:
FUCK. I need to check them out. As long as they are not really hard to get them I won't care.

TheHakku

Neuromancer said:
"Push it" was... good when it came out 20 years ago, and ... now.
Fixed.

Loved that song mashed with "Planet Rock." Hitting the sample button to the tune of both songs... so good.

conman

AstroLad said:
Yeah, there's been a bit of an "arms proliferation" going on in the music game genre for a few years now. They've been moving toward more complexity, more peripherals, more people playing, etc. I love playing these games with friends, but they kind of suck alone.

But in addition to the improved music and mixes, DJ Hero 2 finally gives me a pared-down rhythm game experience... well, at least if you ignore the microphone junk.

Top Bottom