• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ HERO 2 |OT| Bobby Says Knock You Out

I miss being able spam the airhorn sample. =(

I like the samples that are part of the song, but they should have left us the option of choosing our own samples.

Does this version have constantly flashing lights in all of the club backgrounds? I played the first DJ Hero for about 4 hours and then couldn't stomach it anymore because of the lights. :(

Cookie Monster said:
Does this version have constantly flashing lights in all of the club backgrounds? I played the first DJ Hero for about 4 hours and then couldn't stomach it anymore because of the lights. :(
Very flashy backgrounds, maybe even more so than in DJH1.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Neuromancer said:
Do you know something I dont?

Pretty sure they said right on their official site we will never be able to import from DJH1, just the DLC.
That guy is right in saying not yet.

06:58 <Eyce> Friends facebook comment says "Just noticed an announcement at the bottom of the main menu that says you'll be able to import all the songs from DJ Hero 1 with the next title update. Awesomeness. =D"

Update: I asked a reliable source and he said "hmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Update 2: @FSGStudio said "maybe........ ;)"

You don't deserve it though for hating on Push It.

Rewrite said:
That guy is right in saying not yet.

You don't deserve it though for hating on Push It.
i wish they just come out and say it. teasing us like this is pointless :\

I really do want shitloads of songs to play even if it's the ones i played in the first. just having it is a lot considering the DLC will probably be a bit more compared to the first game. but i fully support this game unless it's Rap/hiphop songs then nevermind :lol

Push It is probably tolerable when mixed with something else, but on its own it's really a horrible song nowadays :lol

Although watching the music video for it can provide some nostalgic enjoyment

conman

DMPrince said:
i fully support this game unless it's Rap/hiphop songs then nevermind
Depends on what you mean. These are mixes in the older, original sense of hip-hop, but they're not what I would consider "rap" music (though many of the songs do use rap in the mix).

d0c_zaius

I was hating on the track selection, but some of the mixes are genius! Only 1 really bad song so far, and I'm up to the third venue.

Great work from Freestyle games!

Just beat Empire mode, my thoughts on the game in general (compared to OG DJH):

+Graphics are improved quite a bit
+Freestyle sections are awesome, especially the crossfading bits
+Getting to use your avatar is very cool even if they look a little doofy at first (different proportions than usual)

=song list is good but in my opinion, still too hip hop/rap heavy (YMMV)

-Empire (career) mode didn't amount to anything special
-not letting me spam the airhorn sample during freestyle sample sections makes me very sad (DLC sample packs, make it happen FreeStyle!)

The songlist in DJ Hero 2 is about 100 times better than the song selectin on DJ Hero 1. I am so damn sold. They have I Remember by Kaskade on there...such a frigging awesome song.

Maxwell House said:
The songlist in DJ Hero 2 is about 100 times better than the song selectin on DJ Hero 1. I am so damn sold. They have I Remember by Kaskade on there...such a frigging awesome song.
Yes it is, Move For Me is very good too.

Psykotik said:
is it possible to fail a song in dj hero 2?

first one had no failing.

You can fail the DJ battles, that is about it. But the incentive to play seems greater for me, for whatever reason. I feel compelled to play it a lot more than I ever did with DJ1. The charts are just a lot more fun, they have long scratches where you have to slowly spin the platter backwards, I can also finally do the > > > > > scratches, those ones were a bitch before for some reason.

noquarter

I have been having a lot of fun with this, but the XBL battles/star/whatever multiplayer really doesn't make too much sense to me. I understand why you might allow Easy to go up against Medium or Hard, but in Star Power they can pretty much dominate. There meter goes up so much faster. Wish they had some kind of handicap on it.

And the checkpoint battles seem goofy too. Somehow in sections I would hit every note scratch and fade I would get as low as 66%, but a couple times I'd miss notes and still get a 100%+. Maybe I should look in the manual or the tutorials, but this seems pretty goofy.

The mixes have been pretty good so far, but empire mode isn't anything great. I actually don't like having to play all the songs in a set again to get 5 stars on one song, unless it is the megamixes, where it makes sense.

TheHakku

noquarter said:
And the checkpoint battles seem goofy too. Somehow in sections I would hit every note scratch and fade I would get as low as 66%, but a couple times I'd miss notes and still get a 100%+.
Make sure to use the effects dial before your opponent when prompts come up. During some sections, you can get locked out of those as well as freestyle samples and crossfading.

noquarter said:
I actually don't like having to play all the songs in a set again to get 5 stars on one song, unless it is the megamixes, where it makes sense.
You shouldn't have to if it's not a megamix. There's a "skip mix" option in the pause menu.

Also, the rewind deck is incredible BS (all power decks are pretty lame, but this one takes the cake). 5-starred Galvanize on expert really early on with this deck.

Finally got mine...and OMG this game is awesome. Mixes are sick as hell and the freestyle makes this game so much more fun. This game better sell well, it deserves it. So addictive.

Mr Jared

Thinking about it.. DJ Hero is the only rhythm game I simply can't play on Expert mode. Having to actually think about every single scratch kills my brain :(

So how many others just play on Hard? :lol

Mr Jared said:
Thinking about it.. DJ Hero is the only rhythm game I simply can't play on Expert mode. Having to actually think about every single scratch kills my brain :(

So how many others just play on Hard? :lol
Dude, I just play on Medium!

EYEL1NER

Damn, stopped at my Kmart last night and they didn't have it. Hopefully it comes in next week so instead of paying $45, I can get it for $25. Though to be honest, if it is as good as the first one, it deserves the full amount of money.

Arghhh, can't wait!!!

got this yesterday, only played for a little bit but love it some far.

Welcome to Jamrock & Twist em Out is a sick mix. They need give us more D&B tunes for DLC.

My brother's digging this but I got annoyed with the mid-bass while watching him play. I hate it when people EQ songs and over emphasis the bass. Also, since I preordered on Amazon and didn't get those promotional songs they opted to give me a $10 gift card instead which came through today. If anyone else ordered off of there, check your email. On top of that, they ended up putting the songs up on the Amazon MP3 store so if you still want them you can get them.

Gav

Got this today, played through part of Empire, and the girlfriend is currently playing away on Quick Play mode.

Already, its a massively better game than DJ Hero 1. And i loved the first one!

Tracklist is great, on a par with the first i'd say, but the presentation is so much better, the added things to do in the tracks are great, as are the DJ battles. Great stuff. We're gonna go out and buy a second set of decks, second hand, for multiplayer.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Fixed1979 said:
Same as DJH1, I can nail the first 3/4" on expert, but the more difficult tracks I can't even do on hard.
i could do ok on hard at the later levels but now i get destroyed :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Two questions:

When looking at a song or playlist, does the UI have any immediate rankings or score chart leaderboards this time, and/or does it show you online and friends leaderboard stats after you finish a run instead of hiding the data away in options menus?

And can you still unlock all the songs by playing on any difficulty setting, or is content now gated behind playing on higher levels to get more stars?

RedStep

In addition to all the other changes, I've been really impressed by the online multi.

For some reason, I've only run into one quitter. This is usually the bane of music games, as people just quit out when they're losing. I've actually added several friends to my list, which hasn't happened in a long time (I think matchmaking has made FPS players less friendly). The extra modes are generally fun as well.

I'm not sure how I feel about mixing difficulties. It makes finding a game easier, but always gives one player an advantage - Harder difficulties have an advantage in Streak and Accumulator games (more notes), but a disadvantage in star-based games.

EYEL1NER said:
Damn, stopped at my Kmart last night and they didn't have it. Hopefully it comes in next week so instead of paying $45, I can get it for $25. Though to be honest, if it is as good as the first one, it deserves the full amount of money.

Arghhh, can't wait!!!

it's better mostly cause the freestyle stuff makes it more fun and they give you alot of oppurtunities to freestyle.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I'm thankful I can use my avatar, because all the characters are so fucking ugly.

shit, im an idiot, how do u use your own avatar?

Fixed2BeBroken said:
shit, im an idiot, how do u use your own avatar?
Empire mode? Keep checking, if you can't select it right away you should be able to eventually.

Sai-kun said:
Updated today, now I can see my 3 DLC tracks, but they're greyed out and I can't play 'em :(

I WANNA PLAY SANDSTORM :(
Yeah I'm the same boat, I can see the DLC but not play it. =(

conman

Seeing only 4 pages on GAF at the tail end of its first week of release... A real shame. Great game, but it looks like it's getting unjustifiably ignored.

robot

Anyone else lose their multiplier right as they rewind? Not really sure what Im doing wrong...maybe accidentally hitting something as soon as i spin it?

Game is really good- much more polished than djh1 which was already good. RZA's Megamix is jawesome.

TheHakku

Kaijima said:
When looking at a song or playlist, does the UI have any immediate rankings or score chart leaderboards this time, and/or does it show you online and friends leaderboard stats after you finish a run instead of hiding the data away in options menus?

And can you still unlock all the songs by playing on any difficulty setting, or is content now gated behind playing on higher levels to get more stars?
Yes. If you select to view stats after a song or set, you can see where you and your friends rank on the song at the bottom. The leaderboards pretty much update immediately. I really think they should have had separate leaderboards for using hyper decks and not using hyper decks, though. The rewind deck is a really cheap way to boost your score... a LOT (also to make the song last way longer...).

It's somewhat gated on stars you earn in Empire. You have to play through some battles to unlock battles, bonus mixes, etc. Really not too bad. A lot of the songs are already unlocked from the get-go. Pretty sure it doesn't matter what difficulty you play, though.

robot said:
Anyone else lose their multiplier right as they rewind? Not really sure what Im doing wrong...maybe accidentally hitting something as soon as i spin it?
One of my friends always tries to rewind immediately after a long scratch section or note (and complains about losing multiplier...). I hope you're trying to rewind during an empty section where there's nothing going on (while not pressing anything, try spinning the turntable using the side, not pushing down on the turntable to spin it), even if it's just for a fraction of a second. If not, try spinning the turntable backward fast before a song starts. If your game doesn't register any button presses for the duration, stop accidentally hitting buttons when you rewind. ;)

Top Bottom