• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

Dahbomb

It'd just be nice to see some of the "huge DMC" fans here at least put their prejudice aside and give DmC a shot before condemning it outright.
And that involves giving Capcom/NT money to "give DmC a shot". Maybe they want to play the game but not at that price or they don't want to give Capcom/NT for this endeavor (aka voting with the wallet). It's a lot of investment to just give the game a shot especially in the game's first month. The demo was a good representation of the final product IMO so if someone didn't enjoy that they will most likely not enjoy the full game either.

I have played the game on consoles and PC. I have beaten the game on DMD on PC with multiple SSS ranks. I feel I have put my prejudice aside and gave DmC a shot. I have put my impressions in the OT (where they belong) numerous times including specific combat scenarios and mechanics. I like the game, it's an above average action game and it's easily NT's best work. It's not as good as the 3 main DMC games especially from a game play point of view but for people new to the series or genre, it's a great game especially for those who before this had only played NT games. Problem is that I don't see many of these people around and most of those people would rather make fun of the fanbase than actually playing the game or contributing in the OT. 35% of the entire posts in the OT are by ME ALONE!!!

ArjanN

It selling well would mean they'd more likely give us more of the same, we don't want it.
Cheering commences.

It selling poorly just means Capcom thinks Devil May Cry is a franchise not worth spending money on in the future.

Also it makes you look really petty.

Viperik

Banned
If this game can't break even, wouldn't surprise me now if the series goes in the way of Onimusha and Dino Crisis.

All those people bashing the game irrationally will be the first to whine about why Capcom doesn't wanna do anymore DMC games XD

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Who is the Capcom exec that just fucking seems to love shit middle-road western development studios and seems capable of hypnotising all the others into agreeing?

Ninja Theory? Give them one of our most beloved brands!! Spark Unlimited? Toss them Lost Planet 3! Whats this canned Remember Me game? Dontnod Entertainment? Never heard of them. THAT MEANS THEY'RE PERFECT.

I mean who is this crazy asshole just shitting away millions and millions for no good goddam reason? Why haven't there been repurcussions for him/her yet and an end put to his insanity?

After slating the demo, I'm actually loving the full game. So a real shame to see this, but I don't think the demo did them any favours.

Sadly, I think that's the end of the entire DMC franchise then :(

Dave1988

It might even make you smile more to know that outside of 4 days before release and 5 days after DMC has struggled to clear top 200 on amazon and currently 400 plus for both versions.

while the HD collection (ps3 version) spent a good chunk of the same period in the top 100 and hasn't gone further than 120 in the past month.

Is... is this X-Mas?

I

Of course, what's actually gonna happen is typical Capcpom "no market for this franchise, drop it".

So true. DmC, no matter how different is part of the DMC franchise, it grossly underperforming only reflects poorly on the brand itself in the eyes of business minded people. If we do get a DMC5, we'll get one with a budget of a gameboy color game. No thanks.

And for the record, DmC is a fun game. It deserved to sell more.

Dahbomb

It selling poorly just means Capcom thinks Devil May Cry is a franchise not worth spending money on in the future.
If this is how Capcom interprets the sales of DmC (and ignoring that DMC4 actually got a bump in sales AND DMC HD got a bump in sales as well) then they deserve to not make any more DMC games and be shutdown for their idiocy.

There are only so many boneheaded decisions you can make before you are filing for bankruptcy.

What the hell are they going to do when RE and MH start underperforming? Cancel those series too?

Who is the Capcom exec that just fucking seems to love shit middle-road western development studios and seems capable of hypnotising all the others into agreeing?

Ninja Theory? Give them one of our most beloved brands!! Spark Unlimited? Toss them Lost Planet 3! Whats this canned Remember Me game? Dontnod Entertainment? Never heard of them. THAT MEANS THEY'RE PERFECT.

I mean who is this crazy asshole just shitting away millions and millions for no good goddam reason? Why haven't there been repurcussions for him/her yet and an end put to his insanity?

I think the problem is that the whole point of outsourcing development is to save money. The bigger developers, the ones with proven records and name recognition, they cost a lot more money.

You have to hope that maybe you have a cinderella story where you find a developer that doesn't look great but ends up putting out something that sells a few million copies. They got lucky with Blue Castle (and ended up acquiring them outright), but that doesn't mean they won't get lucky elsewhere.

I find Spark Unlimited far more baffling since somehow they are working on a Ninja Gaiden spinoff. Those guys must really lowball their bids.

Coin Return

Loose Slot

It worked out well for Dead Rising, although the groundwork was already laid out for Blue Castle.

If this game can't break even, wouldn't surprise me now if the series goes in the way of Onimusha and Dino Crisis.

All those people bashing the game irrationally will be the first to whine about why Capcom doesn't wanna do anymore DMC games XD

To be fair, we won't really get tangible numbers and indicators of if it was profitable enough till the Q4 and overall financial year report in April. Especially as there's no PC numbers in that FY report and it's only console numbers. Capcom turning around and saying "While we brought down the forecast on consoles in the Q3 report. PC numbers more than made up for it and the game posted profit" would probably lead to the greatest internet meltdown since FFXIII on 360.

All I know about Spark Unlimited was that 2/10 Eurogamer score for Legendary. Every video of seen of it looked like a dime a dozen video game with a million cliches and nothing particularly impressive or interesting.

Sounds like a company to give your million-selling franchises!

Same thing for Slant Six, creator of mediorce SOCOM games. Yeah, let them do a RE spin-off, they'll suddenly improve over night or something

To be fair, we won't really get tangible numbers and indicators of if it was profitable enough till the Q4 and overall financial year report in April. Especially as there's no PC numbers in that FY report and it's only console numbers. Capcom turning around and saying "While we brought down the forecast on consoles in the Q3 report. PC numbers more than made up for it and the game posted profit" would probably lead to the greatest internet meltdown since FFXIII on 360.

PC version would need to sell...what, double the console versions combined to match DMC4's sales?

I don't think there will be a meltdown until DMC4 is dethroned as the best selling game in the series. Until then, Capcom only downgraded or moved horizontally.

Yes, let's hope people lose their jobs because they didn't make the game I want! *Pouts*

I get the actual reasons, I'd just hate to have people lose jobs because of some vendetta against some fundamental changes in design of a franchise.

Once again to you expect people to buy what they don't like to keep people they don't know employed?

nobody here has done anything malicious to prevent the sale of this game.

Skilletor

Except it's not irrationally, and people who keep spouting this show a severe lack of reading comprehension.

The one that left. It pisses me off no end somehow he has got his western loving feelers in ninja gaiden too, but at least hayashit wouldn't be making anything better anyway, no to mention it's a spinoff.

This sucks for the franchise, DmC is a good game, while I still hold my opinion that it's not as good as 1,3 and 4, it's still really good when you judge on its own.

I hope they do better next time.

All I know about Spark Unlimited was that 2/10 Eurogamer score for Legendary. Every video of seen of it looked like a dime a dozen video game with a million cliches and nothing particularly impressive or interesting.

Sounds like a company to give your million-selling franchises!

Same thing for Slant Six, creator of mediorce SOCOM games. Yeah, let them do a RE spin-off, they'll suddenly improve over night or something

Marvel vs Capcom 4 - Developed by Superbot
Dragons Dogma 2 - Developed by Reality Pump

Choice quotes from predictions thread:

Chamber "DmC will probably do DMC3 type numbers which is the lowest selling game in the franchise. Somewhere in the 1.0-1.3 million area."
Napalm_Frank "DMC will be a hit and million seller"
ShockingAlberto "I actually think DmC might end up doing fairly well. Probably over a million."
JDSN "Will sell higher than expected, lower than Capcom's absurd goals."
ThoughtsOfSpeaking "first week bomba But will go on to outsell DMC4 lifetime"
metalslimer "Biggest bomb relative to how it much it cost to make will probably be DmC. I see no way in hell that game does well. "
Chemo "DmC will bomb for sure. Might do alright the first week, but after that it's dead."
Delusibeta "Can't help but feel that this will do somewhat OK, although Capcom will be disappointed."
Coxy " I expect to sell a decent number of copies but not the millions capcom originally wanted"
FStop7 "DmC will underperform"
Heart Attack "Lowest sales of the series (Rightfully so)"
Shalashaska161 "Will do ok, not great"
ponpo "I will, in advance, create all of the unfunny bomba titles... Devil Am Cry"
mr_nothin "lol at ppl thinking DmC is not going to sell "
yurinka "DmC would sell last than expected but won't a be a total failure."
PetriP-TNT "100% chance that this will bomb"
AHA-Lambda "will sell well but not to expectations"
NemesisPrime " Will sell... but not enough"
Heavy "semi bomb"

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I bought the first one when I bought my PS2. The second one I bought when it was cheap. The third one I picked up reluctantly at launch. I liked it but hated Dante. The forth one never even crossed my mind to buy. DmC is actually on my radar. Will buy it when my backlog is a bit thinner.

The new Dante just walked into a bar and got laughed out.

DAMN!!!!

well_done_sir.gif

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Does this mean i get to be obnoxious when MGR and Bayonetta sales don't meet expectations as well?
Do what you like. I'll be too busy fucking around with MGS:R's combat to give much of a fuck.

Is... is this X-Mas?
Nah, it's even better. :)

I gotta say, it feels pretty good when someone is trying to shove a monster sized cock down your throat you have no interest in and never fucking asked for, only for them to end up getting their balls caught right in their zipper.

BLOG_173__feels-good-man.jpg

Dahbomb

Were they all useful? I mean, even fighting games several revisions deep are filled with shit you can do but probably shouldn't or don't need to.
DMC doesn't work like a fighting game or even most other action games. You are rewarded for switching up moves and using moves in unorthodox manner to rack up style points. There isn't any move in DMC4 that is useless, at least none that I can think off of the top of my head. Every single move of Nero is extremely useful that is for sure but he doesn't have that many. There isn't any useless move in DmC either.

Only move I can think of in DMC4 (and DMC3) is that Royal Guard shield.

The shitty thing about "voting with your wallet" is my lack of purchase doesn't send Capcom some promissory note stating I'd "real" Devil May Cry 5.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think the problem is that the whole point of outsourcing development is to save money. The bigger developers, the ones with proven records and name recognition, they cost a lot more money.

You have to hope that maybe you have a cinderella story where you find a developer that doesn't look great but ends up putting out something that sells a few million copies. They got lucky with Blue Castle (and ended up acquiring them outright), but that doesn't mean they won't get lucky elsewhere.

I find Spark Unlimited far more baffling since somehow they are working on a Ninja Gaiden spinoff. Those guys must really lowball their bids.

Obviously I can't speak for how Capcom is perceived in the Japanese gamedev community, but have they been painted as ogres or something? How comparable are salaries? I'd think western studio salaries would command large fee's. Or is there just a severe lack of new blood entering the industry over there where it just isn't feasible for Capcom to expand on their own turf after losing so many people to Platinum/Tango? Things become even weirder when you consider what an incredible engine MT Framework was/is to just blast out games this generation and yet all these other alliances require new engines being licensed. MONEY ON TOP OF MONEY.

Or did Inafune really play quite the pied piper in leading all of Capcom's hopes for development expansion across the seas only for most of said initiatives to drown in total shit? Did he sing that "japan is doomed" song so pitch perfectly that even after his departure the Capcom board is still dancing to that hypntoic tune?

Either way, they aint looking good. When I think Capcom I don't think "oh those guys that made Enslaved, Turning Point, and The Bigs!"

This thread is embarrassing. I can't believe how many people want to see a good game fail just because it isn't what they want. Absolutely pathetic.

Top Bottom