• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

Monocle

The new Dante just walked into a bar and got laughed out.
10/10

CwuYVpo.gif

This thread is embarrassing. I can't believe how many people want to see a good game fail just because it isn't what they want. Absolutely pathetic.
Star Wars fans are embarrassing. I can't believe how much hate they spewed at George Lucas just because he didn't make the prequels they wanted. Absolutely pathetic.

Choice quotes from predictions thread:

Chamber "DmC will probably do DMC3 type numbers which is the lowest selling game in the franchise. Somewhere in the 1.0-1.3 million area."
Napalm_Frank "DMC will be a hit and million seller"
ShockingAlberto "I actually think DmC might end up doing fairly well. Probably over a million."
JDSN "Will sell higher than expected, lower than Capcom's absurd goals."
ThoughtsOfSpeaking "first week bomba But will go on to outsell DMC4 lifetime"
metalslimer "Biggest bomb relative to how it much it cost to make will probably be DmC. I see no way in hell that game does well. "
Chemo "DmC will bomb for sure. Might do alright the first week, but after that it's dead."
Delusibeta "Can't help but feel that this will do somewhat OK, although Capcom will be disappointed."
Coxy " I expect to sell a decent number of copies but not the millions capcom originally wanted"
FStop7 "DmC will underperform"
Heart Attack "Lowest sales of the series (Rightfully so)"
Shalashaska161 "Will do ok, not great"
ponpo "I will, in advance, create all of the unfunny bomba titles... Devil Am Cry"
mr_nothin "lol at ppl thinking DmC is not going to sell "
yurinka "DmC would sell last than expected but won't a be a total failure."
PetriP-TNT "100% chance that this will bomb"
AHA-Lambda "will sell well but not to expectations"
NemesisPrime " Will sell... but not enough"
Heavy "semi bomb"

Looking at the then and now...man.

Too bad about the expectations dropping that much. But whoever said that most of the DmC supporters should really be talking about the positives in the OT instead of just defending it when DMC vets say they don't like it is really on the mark. If Dahbomb is really attributing to 35% of an OT about the game, that could've been indication enough about DmC underperforming.

I also cringed at what NT had originally had in mind for DmC before Capcom made them make changes.

This thread is embarrassing. I can't believe how many people want to see a good game fail just because it isn't what they want. Absolutely pathetic.

okay buddy. call me when it's one of your favorite franchises and the PR team has been repeatedly bashing wide portions of their original audience.

On what basis do you judge that?

Common sense dictates that the faith bought by a previous entry will positively/negatively affect the results of a sequel.

If DMC4 was loved, and the lasting impression it had on gamers was "I want more Devil May Cry", then DMC would've, despite the fact that it's a reboot, it would've made big numbers early on and word of mouth would dictate its long term success (legs).

Considering that DmC is selling poorly from the very beginning, it means demand for the series itself is low.

Sure, negative reaction from the vocal hardcore might've slashed a hundred or two hundred thousand units, but even then I would say most of the vocal hardcore that wasn't happy with the reboot, bought it anyway.

DmC selling poor doesn't mean people want DMC 5, it means people aren't interested in DMC period. Other factors like retail competition matter also, of course.

scitek

Marketing was terrible. Especially the arrogance of the creative director set the tone for all the hate the game received.

Should have had another spokesman and explained the changes to the community without being a cocky prick.

Yup. The marketing was really misleading.

Star Wars fans are embarrassing. I can't believe how much hate they spewed at George Lucas just because he didn't make the prequels they wanted. Absolutely pathetic.

Star Wars fans don't wish for the movies they don't like to tank at the box-office, though, because they realize if they do, there won't be any new Star Wars movies at all.

Curufinwe

PC version would need to sell...what, double the console versions combined to match DMC4's sales?

I don't think there will be a meltdown until DMC4 is dethroned as the best selling game in the series. Until then, Capcom only downgraded or moved horizontally.

We've never got PC sales for DMC 4, so I doubt we'll get them for DmC. The 2.7 million figure is consoles only.

Devil May Cry 4

Release : 2008/1
Platform : PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Units : 2,700 thousand units

Monocle

Common sense dictates that the faith bought by a previous entry will positively/negatively affect the results of a sequel.

If DMC4 was loved, and the lasting impression it had on gamers was "I want more Devil May Cry", then DMC would've, despite the fact that it's a reboot, it would've made big numbers early on and word of mouth would dictate its long term success (legs).

Considering that DmC is selling poorly from the very beginning, it means demand for the series itself is low.

Sure, negative reaction from the vocal hardcore might've slashed a hundred or two hundred thousand units, but even then I would say most of the vocal hardcore that wasn't happy with the reboot, bought it anyway.

DmC selling poor doesn't mean people want DMC 5, it means people aren't interested in DMC period. Other factors like retail competition matter also, of course.
Holy flawed assumptions, Batman. Capcom and Ninja Theory experienced a vocal outcry from the DMC community when DmC was announced, and for a long time they simply plugged their ears. Now they're feeling it right in the moneybags.

Considering how DMC4 and the DMC HD Collection are selling, there's definitely still demand for the series.

That analysis kinda breaks down when all indications are that the DMC HD collection is beating the pants off DmC in sales.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
In PAL charts DmC is dropping super fast and disappearing.

if Capcom smart/sane they will start next gen Japanese-developed DMC5 by now to release it in the first year of PS4/Xbox3 that the only way to save the series now.

If he had rebooted them, you might have a point. Its no different than someone not liking DMC2 in that case. Bad Analogy.

okay buddy. call me when it's one of your favorite franchises and the PR team has been repeatedly bashing wide portions of their original audience.

It was one of my favorite franchises, and still is.

Plenty of people were very happy DMC got rebooted because the old games weren't what they wanted.

Use that straw man all you want. Go find me 20 people on gaf that actually feel that exact way then.

Arukado

I have mixed feelings about this: one side of me hated what they did to the characters (i don't really care anymore) and thinks that this reboot was not necesary at all. Now that i'm playing it, the other side is liking the game so far (i'm currently on chapter 9) and thinks it's a good game and deserves better.

What i have clear is that Capcom and Ninja Theory shouldn't have pissed the fans the way they did (special mention to Taneem's comments), so i guess they are reaping what they sow.

Camp Lo

Banned
Such a great game! awesome style, excellent soundtrack. Game was thoroughly enjoyable. Shame we may never get a sequel. Not the best combat in the series but the rest of the game was awesome, and the combat was good enough imho.

Shame, major shame

By this logic, did everyone hate Ocarina of Time?

Curufinwe

Use that straw man all you want. Go find me 20 people on gaf that actually feel that exact way then.

It's not a straw man. There's been three years of forum posts and shitty articles about how a reboot was just what DMC needed because supposedly 4 was unpopular junk.

When Dragon's Dogma and DmC combined can't sell more than DMC 4 did on its own, maybe someone at Capcom will get the message.

Haunted

10/10

CwuYVpo.gif

I don't think there would have been as much hate if the prequels he did were good.

Then again, looking at this thread, maybe the quality of the end product doesn't really matter after all. (DmC is a good game).

Monocle

If he had rebooted them, you might have a point. Its no different than someone not liking DMC2 in that case. Bad Analogy.
I think you'll find the analogy fits just fine, since its relevance doesn't depend on the prequel/reboot distinction.

I don't think there would have been as much hate if the prequels he did were good.

Then again, looking at this thread, maybe the quality of the end product doesn't really matter after all. (DmC is a good game).
The point is, DmC doesn't live up to the standard set by the three main DMC games. It doesn't matter that DmC is a decent action game on its own merits—it's still a clear downgrade.

It was one of my favorite franchises, and still is.

Then enjoy your "good game", but it's fine for people who didn't like the result to be vocally upset. And that isn't strawman - GAF DmC threads were filled with people who wanted a reboot and welcomed the new Dante. It was even more prominent on other forums

EDIT:

Haunted said:

In your opinion

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
In PAL charts DmC is dropping super fast and disappearing.

if Capcom smart/sane they will start next gen Japanese-developed DMC5 by now to release it in the first year of PS4/Xbox3 that the only way to save the series now.
eh.. I don't want another rushed product like DMC4. No thanks.

If they had any sense they'd take their time with DMC5. Wait for Itsuno to finish up DD2.
Or just call up Platinum

Good games in great franchises don't cut it anymore. What has this industry come to?!

I can't speak for anyone else, but DmC being a good game (I'd go with 'mediocre', personally) does not make it a good Devil May Cry game, and that's a very important distinction.

Zen

Banned
That analysis kinda breaks down when all indications are that the DMC HD collection is beating the pants off DmC in sales.

Any proof of that? The Devil May Cry Collection is selling really well, but nothing I've seen indicates that it is outselling DMC.

I think you'll find the analogy fits just fine, since its relevance doesn't depend on the prequel/reboot distinction.

It does depend on that actually. It is a completely different scenario and mindset for fans and creators alike. This game would not have garnered as much hate pre-release if it was a prequel. People were very excited for the Star Wars prequels pre-release and because they were bad movies on top of them being bad star wars movies, people did not like them.

Completely different scenarios, which is why your analogy is broken.

The Prequels were legitimately bad products, and DmC by all indications is not a bad product at all.

Any proof of that? The Devil May Cry Collection is selling really well, but nothing I've seen indicates that it is outselling DMC.

Stop trying to being logic into a DmC thread. It never works.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Bayo 2 for those who want DMC type gameplay

mmmm nope. I played Bayonetta thoroughly (beat Infinite Climax) and it's really not too similar to DMC3 and 4.

My DMC itch can only be scratched by DMC.

Also MGR is fairly different to NG. There's nothing in MGR like jumping back from an enemy towards a wall, throwing shurikens so you don't get the wall jump animation, and performing an on-landing UT using essence from the enemy you had izuna dropped earlier.

Keep in mind I'm not criticizing MGR or Bayo...but they're really not replacements.

Neither did 4, and it sold the most, didn't it?

DMC4 IS one of the three main DMC games he was referring to lol. 4 is an excellent game, especially the Bloody Palace mode.

The fact that it's been higher on the charts and holds longer in all the territories where we can compare them says as much.

Jathaine

DMC4 struck closer to those games than DmC.

Gameplay wise I feel it surpassed even 3.
Its in the other areas which DMC fans generally don't really care as much that it was found lacking.

The areas that DmC is stronger in. Clearly these are not the elements that fans care about evidenced by all the threads and these sales numbers.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Neither did 4, and it sold the most, didn't it?
Combat in DMC4 was excellent and a completely welcomed edition to the franchise, that's really all that matters. It deserved to sell because of that alone as far as I'm concerned.

I have my MANY problems with DMC4, but that gameplay was ace, and was what I expected from a DMC entry. Period.

The new Dante just walked into a bar and got laughed out.

I gotta say, it feels pretty good when someone is trying to shove a monster sized cock down your throat you have no interest in and never fucking asked for, only for them to end up getting their balls caught right in their zipper.

I'm set on laughing for the rest of today. Good shit.

As big as brand names/series go, they (should) only go so far. I don't expect every Metal Gear fan to buy Rising at all; some prefer the stealth aspect as the principle reason they play MG at all, and that's fine.

Even more than a spin-off, a reboot will always make the established fanbase pause and take stock in what was, is now, and will be. And selling poorly can reflect on an individual game instead of the series in-general. I'm pretty sure a DMC5 effort that would improve off of DMC 1,3, and 4 (Nero's story continued, little-to-no-back-tracking, playable Nero/Dante/Vergil campaigns, continue evolving the fighting system, adapting the atmosphere of DMC1, etc) could sell well. Fans will back it, which will give good word of mouth and could mean more to an average purchaser than review score (even outside of GAF).

Holy flawed assumptions, Batman. Considering how DMC4 and the DMC HD Collection are selling, there's definitely still demand for the series.

This too.

abadguy

Banned

Couldn't care less if Heavenly Sword 2 fails or not, (and i don't think it's very good either) i just want a real DMC5 to be made.

Not to mention the gaming press being equally as insulting, ignoring valid criticisms of the gameplay to claim that fans are mad about him not having "white hair" to insults involving small penises and "Cheeto dust" .

Like, I understand the complaints about DMC4's backtracking. The level design and pacing in that game were embarrassing.

But I also feel these things about DmC. It feels like a bunch of skins applied over the same floating blocks over and over.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Damn. So much venom for this game. I'll admit I was a vocal hater of this game when it first got announced until I played it and was surprised it's actually pretty good. Just too bad the general perception of the game will kill any sales.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
At this point, just give these fans DMC5, and let it be the end. Lol, I've never seen people so pissed off to get a good game. I've replayed all of the DMCs in the past month. Great games (except for DMC2), and I just don't see what the big deal is about the lore. It seems like empty popcorn fun to me, but I honestly feel that way about all video game stories, ever since I started reading literature.

I've said it before, but I can understand it if the this game was taken away from the DMC team, but they're making DD, and look to be making DD2. At that point, what's there to complain about? I know people will say, "Platinum Games", but they make enough hack n slash games, and we need diversity in the genre.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Not to mention the gaming press being equally as insulting, ignoring valid criticisms of the gameplay to claim that fans are mad about him not having "white hair" to insults involving small penises and "Cheeto dust" .
I've said it before, but if you're feeling that insulted about a game or criticism of it or whatever, then you need to reevaluate your relationship with video games. You shouldn't be taking it this seriously.

Top Bottom