• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

That's why I bought DMC HD Collection on DmC launch day instead.

You proved them that you purchased the HD collection on DmC launch date?

I don't think you understand what you just did then.

"Oh this DmC game is cool, so i'm gonna buy the anthology too."

Congratulations.

PS: the thing that you proved, whatever side of the fence you're on, is that you bought a product because of DmC.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
People keep saying Capcom should have tried something new for sales but they tried Dragon's Dogma and it sold poorly aswell...
Why do people keep saying this? I know it didn't do too well in the States, but it seems to have done well on a worldwide scale, and Capcom seems to be moving forward with expansion packs and a sequel.

Zen

Banned
It didn't sell well relative to costs. The expansion packs are more about recouping lost money, as is the sequel (along with potential for growth). Kind of like how Shenmue II saw the light of day. Up until RE6, DD was their most expensive production ever.

DMC4 was pretty early in the beginning of the new generation. Console user-base has roughly doubled by now. And clearly "higher sales" couldn't have been the sole motivation when their initial expectations were less than both DMC1 and DMC4.

I think they saw DmC as the answer to what was otherwise (from their perspective) the long term death of the franchise. The IP has had an identity crisis since DMC2 hit the stands, and they've never been able to grow an audience with it. Simply put it's a title that has suffered from some degree of schizophrenia and been too specialized to grow.

I can see them sticking with ninja theory for another try, simply because they managed to deliver on a more universal interpretation of the IP, in theory, could help build a broader base for a sequel.

But if sales aren't even even past 1.5 million 3 years from now, maybe why bother? I think a true DMC5 might have sold a third better than DmC, but it doesn't solve their problem.

On the other hand how hard do they need to try and keep an IP relevant anyway? But if Ninja Theory is cheap, and their internal DMC team is working on another Ip that they see growth potential with as well, it's probably for the best to keep things how they are.

Point here?

Because if your point is that since Dragon Dogma sold crap, they should make DMC5...I don't see how you connect those dots.

Point being its one of their best selling IPs left and DMC4 sold 2x better than a new IP and so far is selling leagues better than DmC, so why would they make DmC2 or a new IP.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I am glad that Dragon's Dogma exists. it's one of my favorite games this year, so i am not mad at Itsuno's team for making it.

I am however annoyed that DmC isn't simply a new IP. It doesn't really play like Devil May Cry, the combat is more of a evolution of Heavenly Sword's combat than DMC. This would be fine if it were a new IP. Why wasn't it a new IP? The character names and some weapons are just about all they have in common with the original series, personalities are almost completely different, as are most of their motivations. Dante doesn't even open up a demon hunting shop called Devil May Cry , which is what the series is named for.

So the combat doesn't hold up, nor does the characters( Sorry Donte , but i don't like annoying , edgy , teens in real life, why would i want to play a game as one? ) So why call it Devil May Cry at all? Publishers too afraid of new IP's so they stamp the name of an established franchise onto a completely different game. ( i have the same complaints about Lost Planet 3) Going by sales it didn't work out as planned.

If i am mad at anyone it is Capcom. I don't understand why they thought NT would be a good fit for a DMC game, did they play Heavenly Sword?
I don't know. I thought DMC3 Dante was an annoying teenager too, honestly. I really disliked DmC Dante early on too (especially from the demo), but by the end of the game, he does change. It's why I think, if they continue, then the Dante in DmC2 would be someone that even detractors of the character will end up liking.

Kayo-kun

I think DMC fans think the Devil May Cry franchise is more popular than it actually is.

I think you need to educate yourself abit more in this subject or even read the rest of the thread before making a post like this. The sales of the past DMC games speaks for themselves.

I am glad that DmC turned out the way it did since that might make Capcom think twice before making a new DMC and might even give us a proper "DMC5" if they are smart.

Skilletor

I think DMC fans think the Devil May Cry franchise is more popular than it actually is.

I don't care how popular it is. I care about the quality of the game. NT can keep making their 2nd tier action games, just keep the team away from DMC.

Razlo

You proved them that you purchased the HD collection on DmC launch date?

I don't think you understand what you just did then.

"Oh this DmC game is cool, so i'm gonna buy the anthology too."

Congratulations.

PS: the thing that you proved, whatever side of the fence you're on, is that you bought a product because of DmC.

DMC HD Collection selling significantly better than DmC sure does say something. Pretty sure you're the one that's having a problem understanding what message that sends.

I think they saw DmC as the answer to what was otherwise (from their perspective) the long term death of the franchise. The IP has had an identity crisis since DMC2 hit the stands, and they've never been able to grow an audience with it. Simply put it's a title that has suffered from some degree of schizophrenia and been too specialized to grow.

I can see them sticking with ninja theory for another try, simply because they managed to deliver on a more universal interpretation of the IP, in theory, could help build a broader base for a sequel.

But if sales aren't even even past 1.5 million 3 years from now, maybe why bother? I think a true DMC5 might have sold a third better than DmC, but it doesn't solve their problem.

On the other hand how hard do they need to try and keep an IP relevant anyway? But if Ninja Theory is cheap, and their internal DMC team is working on another Ip that they see growth potential with as well, it's probably for the best to keep things how they are.

We have sales-figures supporting the claim that the franchise was growing in popularity and reached its peak with DMC4. If you guys have anything to add other than what you think, be my guests.

DMC HD Collection selling significantly better than DmC sure does say something. Pretty sure you're the one that's having a problem understanding what message that sends.

It means capcom sells. because DmC exists.

The fact it sells "significantly" better means some activism of course, but in the greater scope it means people are interested in DMC again. For all you know, 50+% of the HD collection sales could be from people who bought DmC.

But no, i'm sure you're sending a well-written message to capcom with this.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It didn't sell well relative to costs. The expansion packs are more about recouping lost money, as is the sequel (along with potential for growth). Kind of like how Shenmue II saw the light of day. Up until RE6, DD was their most expensive production ever.

I know people like Nero (I do too), but I still don't understand why DMC4 didn't totally focus on Dante. It boggles my mind that since DMC1 in 2001 we haven't had a single game in the franchise that actually focused on the development and continuation of THAT Dante.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The shitty thing about "voting with your wallet" is my lack of purchase doesn't send Capcom some promissory note stating I'd "real" Devil May Cry 5.

If the conclusion they draw from all the fanbase outrage(which they acknowledged with the design changes and taking Tameem out of public view) and sales comparisons to previous games is that "gamers don't want more DMC" instead of "poor reception to reimagining of franchise" then the people in charge of analyzing that kind of stuff really are as stupid as neogaf would make them out to be

Thankfully this is the real world and I trust professionals can draw accurate conclusions as obvious as this one

I guess it's why I like DmC's story. Yeah, it may be a reboot, but for the most part, it focused on Dante and his development. I also want DmC2, because for once, I want to see the development of this Dante continue and see where it goes.

The action genre was fantastic last gen, but this gen has just been disappointing. Too many fans seem to be demanding that it become more and more niche was simply focusing on the combat, and not caring at all about level design or pacing. At the same time, the wider audience wants more cinematic experiences, and developers don't know what to do. Some try to achieve a balance and fail miserably on it. Others seem to have just given up on the genre. Ninja Gaiden Black is my favorite in the genre because it got so many things right, but I've yet to play anything that matches it.

For some reason, I see a DmC2 Dante ending up on the DMC2 Dante side of things. More silent, maybe some distinct quirkiness, but trying to focus more on a seriousness that is new to Dante in-general.

Combat is a better thing to have control of than pacing/level design, especially for a Devil May Cry, cause there's always Bloody Palace to fall back on. They should always shoot for a well-paced experience, but that's secondary for me.

And I'm a little confused, does Ninja Gaiden Black qualify as a game with great combat, level design, and as a cinematic experience? The first two I agree with you.

I'm pretty sure Dogma sold in line with what Capcom expected. They wanted to sell 1.5 million. It's just about there. A bit less, but...for a new IP this late in the generation, I'd call that a win.

I think that series is poised to be something special on next gen consoles.

They wanted 10 million, but settled for 1.5. I think it was also one of the highest selling new IPs in Japan and there's a lot of good word around that game.

Zen

Banned
We have sales-figures supporting the claim that the franchise was growing in popularity and reached its peak with DMC4. If you guys have anything to add other than what you think, be my guests.

We... really don't? I mean it's far murker than that to be sure. It benefited hugely from the buzz around going multiplatform along with being the long awaited HD entry in the series, it was also extremely front loaded, something that the much more well received DMC3 was not. That should tell you about the overall reception. Just because someone bought it doesn't mean they have been converted into a long term customer. Look at the damage that DMC2 did and how DMC3 was received after that.

And evidently Capcom doesn't agree with you since they went with an external developer to try and broaden the franchise.

JaxJax said:

Alas. This IS true.

Beth Cyra

I know people like Nero (I do too), but I still don't understand why DMC4 didn't totally focus on Dante. It boggles my mind that since DMC1 in 2001 we haven't had a single game in the franchise that actually focused on the development and continuation of THAT Dante.
It's probably because Kamiya's Dante and Itsuno's Dante are two largely different characters.

Though it is great that outside of MvC3, when used to extend the brand it is DMC1 Dante that almost always is the one chosen.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Evidently so did capcom seeing as they thought there would no consequences from alienating half the fanbase.

At least there's an upside. If so many fans didn't buy DmC then that many new gamers bought the game. In turn, there are now more people joining the club and it might end up being better in the long run. You never know.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
If the conclusion they draw from all the fanbase outrage(which they acknowledged with the design changes and taking Tameem out of public view) and sales comparisons to previous games is that "gamers don't want more DMC" instead of "poor reception to reboot attempt" then the people in charge of analyzing that kind of stuff really are as stupid as neogaf would make them out to be
What do you do, though? The DMC team is making DD2. I'm sure if DD didn't exist, we would have gotten DMC5, but what do you do there? Create another internal team and have them go at it? The last time we got a thrown together team to make a DMC game, we got DMC2.

Tookay

If the conclusion they draw from all the fanbase outrage(which they acknowledged with the design changes and taking Tameem out of public view) and sales comparisons to previous games is that "gamers don't want more DMC" instead of "poor reception to reimagining of franchise" then the people in charge of analyzing that kind of stuff really are as stupid as neogaf would make them out to be

This is Capcom.

They are that stupid.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What do you do, though? The DMC team is making DD2. I'm sure if DD didn't exist, we would have gotten DMC5, but what do you do there? Create another internal team and have them go at it? The last time we got a thrown together team to make a DMC game, we got DMC2.

I don't know. It's not my job to know.

The only conclusion I think anyone can draw from these results is "not this"

This is Capcom.

They are that stupid.

Nah I disagree.

I think upper management has made unpopular decisions, but I mean every company in a creative industry is guilty of that at some point.

I don't think Capcom has ever failed to learn from their mistakes though, if AE2012 and SFxT2013 are any example.

and their output shows that they still have some really talented creators at the company who can do good work when allowed to do the job

We... really don't? It benefited hugely from the buzz around going multiplatform along with being the long awaited HD entry in the series, it was also extremely front loaded, something that the much more well received DMC3 was not. That should tell you about the overall reception. Just because someone bought it doesn't mean they have been converted into a long term customer. Look at the damage that DMC2 did and how DMC3 was received after that.

And evidently Capcom doesn't agree with you since they went with an external developer to try and broaden the franchise.

DMC4 is the best selling entry in the franchise. They have a playerbase of 2.8m and failed to capitalize on that. This isn't just falling a few units short, they don't think they can even get half of that to buy the next entry.

And of course Capcom doesn't agree with me, otherwise we'd have DMC5 now.

Skilletor

They wanted 10 million, but settled for 1.5. I think it was also one of the highest selling new IPs in Japan and there's a lot of good word around that game.

No, that was just a developer (Itsuno) saying he would like to sell 10 million. People took that out of context. The company never expected that.

"It's difficult, because we really want this game to sell 10 million units worldwide. We want to sell a lot, and that's just something that we think we can do. We're not positive [it will be a success]. Of course it's a risk, but that's what we want - a challenge."

Considering Dragon's Dogma is a new IP and Capcom are contended with all kinds of PR woes at the moment, ten million sales seems a bit optimistic. Itsuno reckons at least one million of those sales will take place in Japan.

"But in Japan, we can absolutely sell a million units. We know that's attainable, it's absolutely do-able. We have a kind of assurance that that will happen, but for worldwide that's not so much the case, and I think that's why a lot of Japanese developers are hesitant about going global. It's because they don't have that assurance that it'll be successful."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...t-can-Sell-10-Million-Copies-of-Dragons-Dogma

They want to sell a lot. They don't expect it to. The company never forecast 10 million for the game in its reports. The one I can find says Capcom expected 1.5 million.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's probably because Kamiya's Dante and Itsuno's Dante are two largely different characters.

Though it is great that outside of MvC3, when used to extend the brand it is DMC1 Dante that almost always is the one chosen.
And that's really hurt the series, imo. The problem with the series is that you don't know what you're going to get whenever one is made. Characters get changed and deemphasized randomly, story jumps years or goes back years. It's hard for the general public to get invested. It's why I think it's better to go with DmC2 than DMC5 (who would it focus on? Dante? Nero?). The series needs a chance to develop some continuity and rebuild faith with the general public. Like I said, I think longtime fans will like DmC2 Dante a lot more than DmC Dante.

ok, I watched a bit of a walkthrough of the first area of the game I presume, and it had a really unexpected Silent Hill vibe to it almost... is the rest of the game just as weird/abstract as that?

more specifically it was inside some weird building after going through an amusement park and there were red curtains and creepy shit. I dug it.

Zen

Banned
DMC4 is the best selling entry in the franchise. They have a playerbase of 2.8m and failed to capitalize on that. This isn't just falling a few units short, they don't think they can even get half of that to buy the next entry.

I get what you're saying, but I'd still argue forget DmC, Devil May Cry 4 failed to capitalize on on that 2.8 million playerbase well on its own before DmC ever got to them.

The 5 years later reboot that's hated by the hardcore only had so much to work with. After we include not only its own flaws but the sins of the father.

A lot of people jumped on, or back in, for DMC4 because of external circumstances. I guess a decent amount of those more casual buyers also weren't convinced to come back even with a reboot.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not surprised to see how this is all playing out. DmC isn't a bad game but it really fails on the levels the reboot was going for, and manages to be an all around worse game in the fundamental combat area which is the main reason the community picks these games up.

Some of the earlier posts in this thread still going on about Donte's hair is hilarious. I've been pretty active in the OT for the game and it's loaded with veterans of the series. The game has certainly been given a legitimate shot by the majority of them.

ok, I watched a bit of a walkthrough of the first area of the game I presume, and it had a really unexpected Silent Hill vibe to it almost... is the rest of the game just as weird/abstract as that?

more specifically it was inside some weird building after going through an amusement park and there were red curtains and creepy shit. I dug it.

Mission 1 is one of my favorite looking areas in the game. 13 is the most memorable and trippy, the rest while good are more typical floating debris areas.

And that's really hurt the series, imo. The problem with the series is that you don't know what you're going to get whenever one is made. Characters get changed and deemphasized randomly, story jumps years or goes back years. It's hard for the general public to get invested. It's why I think it's better to go with DmC2 than DMC5 (who would it focus on? Dante? Nero?). The series needs a chance to develop some continuity and rebuild faith with the general public. Like I said, I think longtime fans will like DmC2 Dante a lot more than DmC Dante.

I'm gonna say they don't want a Dmc2.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

They do if they think both DmC and the regular series can co-exist. I particularly love the reasoning "Call of Duty can do it. Why not DMC???" in regards to that

I do think it's right under Resident Evil and Street Fighter as one of Capcom's strongest brands though. and I think if they ever do announce a DMC5 it would be a pretty big deal

abadguy

Banned
I don't know. I thought DMC3 Dante was an annoying teenager too, honestly. I really disliked DmC Dante early on too (especially from the demo), but by the end of the game, he does change. It's why I think, if they continue, then the Dante in DmC2 would be someone that even detractors of the character will end up liking.

Not as annoying as the new one. Not even close, and even then he still comes off more as having a good time and not taking things serious than so wannabe tough guy who says fuck a lot. Uncle Dante was a campy fun character who didn't take himself all that seriously. He was essentially Ash from Evil Dead. I'll take that any day over angsty teen.

OldvsNew_zpsfb884656.png

If you enjoy the new one fair enough, i have no interest in the characters or universe at all and so long as it stays with this direction i won't be buying it. MGR and Bayonetta 2 should be more than enough for me to move onto. Maybe Someday Itagaki will make a return as well....

Beth Cyra

You're really pushing this, when it comes to high profile releases we've known what we are going to get. Itsuno's Dante and there should be zero doubt that is what we would get with DMC5. As far as leads go that wouldn't matter because the feel and tone would be carried on from Itsuno's work.

And I won't like DmC 2 Dante anymore because I don't want this character, I don't like or support reboots and it doesn't matter how many times they force this character.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Not as annoying as the new one. Not even close, and even then he still comes off more as having a good time and not taking things serious than so wannabe tough guy who says fuck a lot. Uncle Dante was a campy fun character who didn't take himself all that seriously. He was essentially Ash from Evil Dead. I'll take that any day over angsty teen.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm100/Joe_Sinister/OldvsNew_zpsfb884656.png[/IM]

If you enjoy the new one fair enough, i have no interest in the characters or universe at all and so long as it stays with this direction i won't be buying it. MGR and Bayonetta 2 should be more than enough for me to move onto. Maybe Someday Itagaki will make a return as well....[/QUOTE]

That scene does not reflect new Dante's personality at all he's not even like that for 90% of the game the marketing for the game was horseshit. Anyone that brings up that scene as the characters personality are pretty much the ones you know didn't play the game.

Mission 1 is one of my favorite looking areas in the game. 13 is the most memorable and trippy, the rest while good are more typical floating debris areas.

I see, so basically don't expect that kind of thing too much.

Still, it looks good. I'm planning on picking it up sometime this month hopefully.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

And of course Capcom doesn't agree with me, otherwise we'd have DMC5 now.
But did it really have much growth? DMC1 on the PS2 sold 2.2 mil, and DMC4, 7 years later, sells 2.7 mil. That's not much, especially considering the cost of next gen development in 2008. DMC4 was also front loaded. Now, like I said, I don't think DMC5 would have sold as great either. DmC's sales are more complicated than simply "pissed off the fanbase" I honestly think much of the blame can simply be put on the genre's current popularity.

From my own anecdotal experience, most of the people who I knew that picked up DMC4 thought it was a "good game, but not great". Of course, none of these guys replayed it or got into bloody palace or any of that. They're guys who play a game once, and that's essentially it. They knew DmC was coming, didn't care if the character changed, but didn't pick it up simply because they just don't keep up with genre anymore. It's a shame too, because I've known them for years and they used to love the genre back in elementary and high school (I remember when DMC2 came out, we were all so hyped up for it, lol). Just my own experience, but I think it can be applied generally to the changing gamer habits over the past 5 years.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

OldvsNew_zpsfb884656.png

If you enjoy the new one fair enough, i have no interest in the characters or universe at all and so long as it stays with this direction i won't be buying it. MGR and Bayonetta 2 should be more than enough for me to move onto. Maybe Someday Itagaki will make a return as well....
Dude, I am telling you. That DmC Dante scene in the demo made me really dislike him, but that's very early on in the story. By the end of the game, he does change, and I grew to like him and his growing maturity. It's why I say DmC2 Dante will be much more appealing to the franchise.

Give the game a chance, and see if you agree.

Haunted

DMC4 Dante is my favourite incarnation of the character as well.

Nero and DMC3 Dante are much more unlikable than DmC Dante to me. But that could just be me getting older as well. I was 17 when the first DMC came out and I remember thinking how cool and badass Dante was.

A couple years later... not so much. My perspective on the character had changed substantially. >_>

GenoZStriker

Neo Member

Thankfully this is the real world and I trust professionals can draw accurate conclusions as obvious as this one

This is the reason I believe that at some point there will be a DMC5. There is no way after analyzing DmC' sales that Capcom will simply ignore the outrage and the preference for a another game set in the previous universe and say "well, guess people do not want Devil May Cry anymore" instead of "maybe a reboot was not what they wanted." It wouldn't make sense, especially considering this is the second time are lowering their forecast for a product change they thought would bring in a much larger audience

The Devil May Cry franchise is most likely going on a break but we can certainly expect to see DMC5 in the future. Regardless of DmC2 is released or already in the works.

Dude, I am telling you. That DmC Dante scene in the demo made me really dislike him, but that's very early on in the story. By the end of the game, he does change, and I grew to like him and his growing maturity. It's why I say DmC2 Dante will be much more appealing to the franchise.

By growing maturity you mean that late game scene when he tells Vergil that he has a bigger dick right?

Because that is some mighty fine character development.

"I don't know who I am anymore..." Amazing character development for sure.

Not a personal attack on your opinion but I find it hard to see any meaningful character development in this game. Oh yeah baby we destroyed the world LET'S BOUNCE.

ezekial45

Banned
What a shame. It's too bad they didn't have the same marketing push DMC4 had post post-release. As a reboot, it would've made sense to, and it might've helped.

Anyway, I don't really have much to say. Who knows what the hell will happen next.

Dante does change by the end, but it's such a ridiculously fast change that I was waiting for the "everyone is being mind-controlled" plot twist that never came.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You're really pushing this, when it comes to high profile releases we've known what we are going to get. Itsuno's Dante and there should be zero doubt that is what we would get with DMC5. As far as leads go that wouldn't matter because the feel and tone would be carried on from Itsuno's work.

And I won't like DmC 2 Dante anymore because I don't want this character, I don't like or support reboots and it doesn't matter how many times they force this character.
Even if DmC2 Dante is more mature from DmC Dante? And I'm going to disagree with you. Leads do matter, story does matter, and building it up from sequel to sequel does matter. From one game to the next, Dante has been practically a completely different character. There's been no real continuity, which is important to the general public. They want characters with some continuity and semblance of a story.

Top Bottom