• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

Jay Sosa

Beagle need a lot of exercise/walks though but yeah they're great for kids. I grew up with one (well more like 12). And they can be very stubborn, thats what I love about them.

linkboy

Well, I've got a few updates on my dogs (the lab and lab\border collie mix).

Tuck, the lab, we had to put down last month. He was having trouble walking and he was starting to go deaf. He also had a pretty big tumor on his spleen.

As for Harley, its looking more and more like I won't be able to keep him. My wife has to go to California a lot and my work keeps pushing the date I'm supposed to leave back (went from March to June). I'm gone for 4-5 days at a time and my wife is left home with the dog and baby. Its just to much for her. I'm doing my best to try to keep him, but it doesn't look like its going to happen.

:(

Zoolaga

Pics of Zach, my Border Collie, waiting for me to throw his tennis ball:

T9b3N.jpg

TW6Ox.jpg

He was neutered last week and has to wear a buster collar, which makes even clumsier than usual:

sWSZu.jpg

Hausmeister

Neo Member
Already posted in the pet thread, but oh well:

Hausmeister said:
cxjEB.jpg

That's our dog, Kyra. Lives at my parents, though. I only see her like 5 times a year now :/

Awesome family dog and very good with people, but she can't deal with other dogs so well :(

Ceres

Banned
I can never get good photos of our dog, Penny.

2mq3gc9.jpg

2czolm0.jpg

She's an Australian Cattle Dog mix. Has one blue eye and one brown eye.
We got her from an organization that takes dogs out of kill shelters and brings them to NY. An off duty police officer found her in a drainage ditch with a liter of puppies. She definitely had an owner at some point and was abused.

This tread makes my heart ache while smiling at the same time. We put our 13 year old lab down last summer. His name was Hoss. I still miss him like crazy.

cPJ7S.jpg

Yesterday though I got to pet and hug a lab who was being a "therapy dog" at the hospital I'm currently stuck in getting treatment for my CF. Felt good and made me really want to get a new dog.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Our Husky has developed a craving for couch sheets while were away, the last few days we've come to shredded pieces.

We have been leaving him outside his cage while were gone for about 4 months now, and only now has their been damage done to the house..

My girlfriend and I have been both working a little extra this week so we figure we just need to ante up on his workouts so that he's to tired to do anything but sleep while were gone.

Btw I plan on updated the GAF dog list by the end of the weekend.

Wolf said:
Our Husky has developed a craving for couch sheets while were away, the last few days we've come to shredded pieces.

Btw I plan on updated the GAF dog list by the end of the weekend.
Add me then please :)

Yeah this is one of my fears for the future. Right now our Icelandic Sheepdog of 5 months is behaving nicely when home alone (allthough we are only up to 2 hours now).

Pics:
shikko1.jpg

shikko2.jpg

shikko3.jpg

Ah springtime! Had a wonderful weather the last couple of days and it's so much fun watching Shikko experience all this new stuff in the garden. Sniffing the flowers, listning to the lawnmowers, and all the bugs and other animals.

That kinda brings me to a question concerning bees. How dangerous can a bee/wasp be to a dog? Is a puppy clever enough to figure out not to be stung by one, or will they get stung one time in their life and never forget? Yesterday he discovered one of those smaller bees that don't sting and he started rolling on it XD I doubt a wasp will let him get away with that.

spring1.jpg

spring2.jpg

spring3.jpg

spring4.jpg

spring5.jpg

Metroid Killer said:
Ah springtime! Had a wonderful weather the last couple of days and it's so much fun watching Shikko experience all this new stuff in the garden. Sniffing the flowers, listning to the lawnmowers, and all the bugs and other animals.

Your dog is beautiful. My girlfriend and I have been looking at dog breeds (Shiba Inu and Norwegian Lundenhund, to be specific) and I think your pictures--along with some late night research--just sold us on an Icelandic Sheepdog. There's a breeder about an hour away having a litter next month, and we're going to see about putting in a reservation.

Pickles the Firecat said:
Your dog is beautiful. My girlfriend and I have been looking at dog breeds (Shiba Inu and Norwegian Lundenhund, to be specific) and I think your pictures--along with some late night research--just sold us on an Icelandic Sheepdog. There's a breeder about an hour away having a litter next month, and we're going to see about putting in a reservation.
Thanks for the comment and I'm glad that I could help :p Me and my gf are first time owners and while we love the look of Huskies and sled dogs in general, we weren't sure how smart it would be to accuire such dogs. The Icelandic Sheepdog pretty much combined everything we were looking for: That awesome wolf look + the best calm family dog temperament ever + Middle-sized dog.
The only negatives are the barking and clinginess. However for Shikko it doesn't take much work for keeping his barking at a minimum, he's often suprisingly quiet in certain situations where you would expect him to bark. Training him to be home alone is very time consuming though.

Meet Ziggy:

202044_1810504780201_1167420081_31737644_5179311_o.jpg

209753_1810506940255_1167420081_31737656_4664817_o.jpg

218251_1810507500269_1167420081_31737661_7027951_o.jpg

We've only had him for three days, but we love him to death. A couple of questions:

1) We got him from a breeder. We tried to go the shelter route and we really wanted to, but we had been waiting for months to find a dog that was small enough for our apartment (it has a 15lb size limit on pets) and shed as little as possible. However, the breeder has been AWOL ever since we got him. We've tried contacting through email and phone multiple times and it's either gone to the answering machine or her husband replies saying she'll call back soon. Has anyone had any issues with flaky breeders?

2) It's frustrating because we took him to the vet the day we got him, but they couldn't do anything other than check his heartbeat, weight etc because they didn't have his papers from the breeder's vet. Well, that is why we tried contacting the breeder about that as well and no luck. She said she'd fax them to us us soon as possible, but this is getting a little ridiculous.

3) When he pooped this morning there was a roundworm that came out with it. :( Made my girlfriend squeal and hide on the bed, and I was pretty grossed out cleaning it up. The breeder claimed that he had been tested for worms and that there wasn't an issue, but.. clearly there is.

Also, any recommendations for crate training/house training? He loved going in his crate right away and will crawl in there without looking, dragging along one of his toys. But he's having accidents every now and then. We take him out every hour at least and sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes, though, he'll go 5 or so minutes after we take him back inside.

In short, how do you deal with an uncooperative breeder and give me any and all tips you have for house and crate training!

My Shiba. One of the most bizarre yet endearing breeds I've ever encountered. He will be joined by a German Shorthaired Pointer puppy this August.

Taku-1.jpg

KingK

I have a 13 year old Lab. I've had her since I was in 2nd grade. We have a big pool outside and she absolutely loves swimming. She's really old now, so she usually just swims around in the shallow end a bit then gets out; but when she was younger, I trained her to jump off the diving board and she could dive all the way to the bottom of the pool. We also used to have a water slide, and she would climb up the ladder and slide down into the water, lol. I don't have any pics with me here, but I might post some when I get home next week.

My family also used to have a German Shepherd who lived to be 16 and died when I was in 5th grade. She was an amazing dog and I was devastated when that happened. So I've never not had a dog, and it's been weird spending a whole year away at college without any, lol.

Jos

Seeing the thread get bumped, I'll do a little update. We just got our second dog two weeks ago. Mila - husky / lab cross, and is from the same parents as our other two year old, Monte.

She's only 10 weeks, but is doing really well. They play a lot already and Monte is really patient with her. Still waiting for the first full nights sleep though!

Mopcs.jpg

VStH3.jpg

KZVBW.jpg

methos75

Banned
Professor Fog said:
My Shiba. One of the most bizarre yet endearing breeds I've ever encountered. He will be joined by a German Shorthaired Pointer puppy this August.

Taku-1.jpg

They are nutty dogs

peppermints said:
Meet Ziggy:

We've only had him for three days, but we love him to death. A couple of questions:
Congratz on your puppy he looks adorable! How many weeks old is he?

The breeder situation does indeed sound rather suspicious. That you didn't get any physical papers with the puppy when you bought it wasn't a good sign. Not much you can do besides hoping for contact and info on what's going on.

Puppies should be treated for worms at 4, 6, 8, 10 , 12, 14 and 16 weeks. Though I would get your puppy wormed as soon as possible as you said yourself he obviously hadn't been tested. Remember to be extra careful to bag all poo as you don't want to spread the worms to other dogs.

Concerning crate training, you seem to be doing fine already. I'm no expert with only recently getting my first dog, but you just have to be patient the first two weeks until the dog 'gets it'. Me and my gf used(and still do) to say peepeepeepeepeepeepeepee whenever our puppy peed outside. Now almost 6 months old our dog can pee on command which is very practical in certain situations.

Good luck with ziggy

Oppo

Not my dog, but I took this at a friend's place. Check out this crazy French Bulldog.

K4wkF.jpg

Like a boss.

Metroid Killer said:
Congratz on your puppy he looks adorable! How many weeks old is he?

The breeder situation does indeed sound rather suspicious. That you didn't get any physical papers with the puppy when you bought it wasn't a good sign. Not much you can do besides hoping for contact and info on what's going on.

Puppies should be treated for worms at 4, 6, 8, 10 , 12, 14 and 16 weeks. Though I would get your puppy wormed as soon as possible as you said yourself he obviously hadn't been tested. Remember to be extra careful to bag all poo as you don't want to spread the worms to other dogs.

Concerning crate training, you seem to be doing fine already. I'm no expert with only recently getting my first dog, but you just have to be patient the first two weeks until the dog 'gets it'. Me and my gf used(and still do) to say peepeepeepeepeepeepeepee whenever our puppy peed outside. Now almost 6 months old our dog can pee on command which is very practical in certain situations.

Good luck with ziggy

He's only 10 weeks old. :) The worm situation has cleared up, we gave him the Interceptor that the vet gave us. He's doing pretty well with training right now. My gf recently moved back home with him (school's out for summer, but I have to stay up there and take classes) and he did perfectly adjusting to a new home. He's only had a few accidents the past two or three days. I'm not sure if it's because we've been diligent in taking him out every 1-2hrs or because he's getting the hang of knowing that "hey this is grass, this is where I pee/poop". I hope it's the latter because he does go as soon as we take him out most of the time.

Raising him has been a blast so far, even with the total lack of sleep (was pretty rough when combined with finals week).

He just now started his biting phase.. what fun that is. :)

Birbo

So I have a question for Dog-GAF I've been wanting to asking, but afraid to bring up;

I have a Shepard/Lab mix named Logan. He is pushing 13 years old and is the best dog I've ever had. He is loving, good tempered, follows me around everywhere, obeys me, is great with my kids, can trust him to lay in the grass sans leash while I cut the lawn and has a multitude of other great qualities.

Lately, Logan is starting to show his age. He's still a puppy at heart, but his body won't let he act like one any more. I find myself thinking about his mortality more every time he can't stand himself up or falls over because his legs give out on him. I've had to put dogs down before, but like I said, he's the best I've ever had. He's a big baby and cries when he isn't with me. I'm wondering if anyone has ever been with their dog at the very end, while they were being put down? Is that even an option? I don't know that I could be there while that happened, but I wouldn't want him to be alone or think that I left him.

Should be an option. My vet was pretty cool, when we had to put our dog to sleep (she was 18) he came over and did it in our house so we didn't have to move her. Everyone was with her that could be there.

Also when my dog had trouble walking when she was about 13, we started to give her bufferin with her dinner to help with the arthritis. After that she was pretty mobil until just before she died.

joelseph

BankaiZaraki said:
Love this thread. I have a 6 year old Daschsund named Roscoe. Pretty well house-trained. Calmest dog I've ever had.

Welcome to the cool dog club, dachshunds are the best. <3

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Don't ever, ever enter this thread if you're a drunk dog owner. God, all those pictures of beautiful, happy dogs that are now deceased....jesus I'm a wreck. If theres a god, fuck you. Why would you make the best thing Earth has to offer die in 15 or fewer years?

Jay Sosa said:
My beagle passed away last year. RIP Ferret:

PB140001.jpg
over a month late but i just saw this post. sorry about your loss, man. i had to put down my 16-year old beagle otis when i was 21 (had him his entire life) and ferret looks a lot like him in his older age. sucks major; beagles are amazing companions.

Zyzyxxz

my puppy whom I love so much, she is a fucking cute bomb

I believe she is a mini-pinscher and chihuahua mix

sleeping in my bed
5587572365_d17528c117.jpg

5533819672_4586c57f22_z.jpg

5533236707_6f329cac19_z.jpg

5533236911_183f82ea96_z.jpg

JoseJX

This is Lucy, a 4.5 year old pitbull, but don't let the breed deceive, this dog is one of the nicest dogs you could imagine. She's submissive to other dogs at the park and incredibly friendly to people and kids. She's 70 pounds of muscle, but she still thinks she's a lap dog. :)

Lucy_Small.JPG

choodi

Banned
JoseJX said:
This is Lucy, a 4.5 year old pitbull, but don't let the breed deceive, this dog is one of the nicest dogs you could imagine. She's submissive to other dogs at the park and incredibly friendly to people and kids. She's 70 pounds of muscle, but she still thinks she's a lap dog. :)

Lucy_Small.JPG

It's all about how a dog is raised.

Plenty of chihuahuas, labradors and other "safe" breeds bite people, but it is rarely reported because the damage they do is minimal compared to stronger breeds like Pit Bulls etc.

You raise a dog badly, it will behave badly, just like children too.

Top Bottom