• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
very likely gpu, do you have an old card you can swap in and test with

sadly no, but i'm noticing that this happens (monitor just turns off but cpu is still running) when my temps start to rise past 90C, but I've read that my card should be able to handle temps of up to 95C cause it runs hot (r290x)

it also feels like say a year ago the same card would handle the same game at max specs at 80C. however, now I have to run that same exact game on medium settings, and even then it starts to go over 90C (and I just cleaned out my cpu the other day too)

Artanisix

there are other things to consider tho, are you running the same fps/resolution you were a year ago? as those will impact your card's capabilities -- game settings such as medium, high, ultra etc. are pretty vague and those thresholds can vary wildly depending on monitor reqs

sadly no, but i'm noticing that this happens (monitor just turns off but cpu is still running) when my temps start to rise past 90C, but I've read that my card should be able to handle temps of up to 95C cause it runs hot (r290x)

it also feels like say a year ago the same card would handle the same game at max specs at 80C. however, now I have to run that same exact game on medium settings, and even then it starts to go over 90C (and I just cleaned out my cpu the other day too)

damn that card runs haht

sgdq just now

0HHkSl2l.png

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
there are other things to consider tho, are you running the same fps/resolution you were a year ago? as those will impact your card's capabilities -- game settings such as medium, high, ultra etc. are pretty vague and those thresholds can vary wildly depending on monitor reqs

same res, but bumped up to a 144hz monitor

would capping my fps at like 60 instead of 144 significantly help with cooling down the card?

I just remembered why I don't play Enigma. Because people are fucking idiots who don't realize how Black Hole actually works. We lose because these mouth-breathing idiots keep pushing solo when they KNOW there is like 3-4 of them there (in some cases BECAUSE THEY COULD LITERALLY SEE THEM ALL) and then complain that I haven't been using Black Hole--you know, that team fight ability--when there have been literally 0 opportunities to, because it's always 3v5, or us defending/dying. Black Hole is not some magical win button, it requires positioning, and at 30 minutes when they have knocked down 2 sets of rax and I've been trying to farm a Blink Dagger for 18 minutes now, it's probably not gonna make a god damn difference.

EDIT: Bonus points for a Lich that didn't buy wards for a majority of the game--until the very end when I called him out on it--and delayed me getting my Blink so we could have vision allowing me to watch my teamates be oblivious morons. "I bought Wards..." 4. You bought 4 wards. And 3 of those were at the very end when I called you out on it.

Kalnos

Banned
I just remembered why I don't play Enigma. Because people are fucking idiots who don't realize how Black Hole actually works. We lose because these mouth-breathing idiots keep pushing solo when they KNOW there is like 3-4 of them there (in some cases BECAUSE THEY COULD LITERALLY SEE THEM ALL) and then complain that I haven't been using Black Hole--you know, that team fight ability--when there have been literally 0 opportunities to, because it's always 3v5, or us defending/dying. Black Hole is not some magical win button, it requires positioning, and at 30 minutes when they have knocked down 2 sets of rax and I've been trying to farm a Blink Dagger for 18 minutes now, it's probably not gonna make a god damn difference.

Makes playing Magnus terrible as well. "Why can't you get a good 3-4 man RP with no vision mag?! WTF u blew RP on 2 people?!!!!"

Madouu

same res, but bumped up to a 144hz monitor

would capping my fps at like 60 instead of 144 significantly help with cooling down the card?

Get MSI afterburner and mess around a bit with fan speed (first), get back to 60hz and downclock if need be to see if you can get those temperatures back to around 85 and hopefully stabilize from there.

r290/x models are kind of notorious for these black screens

EDIT: Bonus points for a Lich that didn't buy wards for a majority of the game--until the very end when I called him out on it--and delayed me getting my Blink so we could have vision allowing me to watch my teamates be oblivious morons. "I bought Wards..." 4. You bought 4 wards. And 3 of those were at the very end when I called you out on it.

Do the radiance aghs build and fuck the team

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Get MSI afterburner and mess around a bit with fan speed (first), get back to 60hz and downclock if need be to see if you can get those temperatures back to around 85 and hopefully stabilize from there.

can i just use amd overdrive (comes with the gfx card drivers) to set the fan speeds at 100% or is there something special about msi afterburner?

(thanks for the help peeps!)

Madouu

Beastmaster jungle is quite the easy way to win pub games with, you get 6 at minute 5 straight into 3 smoke ganks that usually transition into at least two tower pushes. Get an early necro 3, do whatever and still be useful because of aura and necro even if you die. Pubs biggest weakness is that they do not push when they can, BM fixes that.

can i just use amd overdrive (comes with the gfx card drivers) to set the fan speeds at 100% or is there something special about msi afterburner?

(thanks for the help peeps!)

overdrive is fine too

is this the most stacked pub to date?

I suppose it's NEL, they've been doing these for the last few days now.

can't this end up bricking my card/cpu or lead to errors :(underclocking that is, not turning up the fans)?

honestly i have no idea
afaik msi afterburner is typically used for OCing cards

are there fixes people try to do? like re-applying the thermal paste / putting on a new heatsink?

edit: seems like people get msi afterburner to allow for 100% fan speed.

can't this end up bricking my card/cpu or lead to errors :(underclocking that is, not turning up the fans)?

More than likely it would shut off before any permanent damage was done. You basically have to remove all the safeguards you can to do actual damage, and even then it's pretty hard. I'd go so far as to say more people have probably bricked cards by accident than by overclocking in the past decade. Prior to the mid-2000's you had wayyyyyy more control over how far you could push shit.

EDIT: I'm 2-13 over my last 15 matches. God help me...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Actually watching that video by h3h3, I didn't realize the gambling site was literally just a fucking coin toss.

Madouu

Small changes in clocks don't generally cause any issues, in the worst case scenario it's not stable and you reboot > go back to previous settings. It will save you a few degrees at best though, try messing around with fan speed, air circulation, monitor & game settings first until your card is stable again.

Afterburner is just easier to use imo and offers a few more options, never had any issue with it personally, it lets you set up and save different profiles too so you can test a range of settings pretty easily. Make sure to disable overdrive though if you use it so there are no conflicts between the two.

lmao aghs support naga is [i n s a n e], it's basically black hole tier in how it can turn around a fight

helps when your team sticks around to fight after your song tho

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
omFG this card is so horseshit, continually lowering game settings, fps locked to 60, 100% fan speed still hits 88C and then instantly shuts off the monitor

FUCK AMD, so frustrating man

guess i'll try underclocking tomorrow

omFG this card is so horseshit, continually lowering game settings, fps locked to 60, 100% fan speed still hits 88C and then instantly shuts off the monitor

damn that sucks

maybe RMA it?
i think most companies offer a 3 year warranty

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
What card did you get?

i've had this amd r290x for about a year now and while it's been working fine for most of that period; over the last 2 months i've been getting hit with overheating issues and so been forced to dial down games that i should be able to max out down to low/medium settings (and even then it sometimes has issues)

really fucking frustrating

i've had this amd r290x for about a year now and while it's been working fine for most of that period; over the last 2 months i've been getting hit with overheating issues and so been forced to dial down games that i should be able to max out down to low/medium settings (and even then it sometimes has issues)

really fucking frustrating

Is it a reference design or third party? If it's reference that doesn't surprise me, but if it's a AIB version you should NOT be having any problems.

EDIT: Now 2-14 over the last 16, lost 8 in a row. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

EDIT 2: 10 in a row, new record!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Is it dusty? Is your case dusty? Are all the fans in your case working properly? Is the fan on your GPU working properly?

shira

Ten DOTA habits that you should have

1. Always be treadswapping
  2. Directional movement
  3. Using your Helm Of DOminator
  4. Bottle crowing and bottle sharing
  5. Shift queueing
  6. Hero specific options
  7. Knowing enemy skill choices
  8. Keeping track of timings
  9. Last hitting tricks
  10. Reliable vs Unreliable Gold

Wow the directional movement advice is pretty good. Didn't know about that. I simply click a millimeter in front of my hero (like pouncing with Slark or Force Staffing with anyone) to avoid having my hero model turned by some obstacle. It does work in 95 out of 100 cases but the directional movement thing sounds flawless. I'll try to figure the according key out as soon as I get home. Sounds like a very good habit to have. I do all the other things on the list gladly.

J2d

I shall bokmark that post and maybe in the future I'll change my ways. Sad thing is I just googled directional movement and was like "I have to use the alt button... I have to change that in something called console?". There isn't a more sloth like dota player out there, I should just kill myself and play angry birds..

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Purge's recent video on Naga Siren has inspired me but I'm already several games into my 20 game run of Timbersaw. Starting to feel really good with the hero. Tried him mid with maxing Q and had a lot of fun in this game

Two things trigger me in Dota 2: passivity and an unused HoD.

My Naga is rather good and I find winning with her a little tough honestly. Not a great pub hero in my opinion. Don't forget to activate auto attack once you send your illusions to jungle autonomously (when you get the Radiance probably).

Naga has 5th highest wr in 5k+, I don't want her buffed because good enemy nagas are worse than slark et al.

honestly I probably gained ~800 hidden MMR alone because I stack with HoD and nobody else in my tier at the time did so I would always be comparatively megafarmed, a free mini-Chenchantress for carries is >>>>>>.
Give satanic dominate please

I shall bokmark that post and maybe in the future I'll change my ways. Sad thing is I just googled directional movement and was like "I have to use the alt button... I have to change that in something called console?". There isn't a more sloth like dota player out there, I should just kill myself and play angry birds..

please don't kill yourself. play good sloth heroes like lich or tide or treant.

kionedrik

Just got up to speed with the whole CSGO drama and quite honestly the CS, Dota and TF2 trading/betting websites purge and shutdown can't come soon enough.
Also hope those fuckers and everyone involved get some jail time, not only because they deserve but also to set an example to all the scumbags out there.

After that, hopefully, the authorities will set their gaze upon Valve itself and their predatory and exploitative pseudo-gambling (were there's nothing pseudo about it) tactics.

Russ T

Banned
Just got up to speed with the whole CSGO drama and quite honestly the CS, Dota and TF2 trading/betting websites purge and shutdown can't come soon enough.
Also hope those fuckers and everyone involved get some jail time, not only because they deserve but also to set an example to all the scumbags out there.

After that, hopefully, the authorities will set their gaze upon Valve itself and their predatory and exploitative pseudo-gambling (were there's nothing pseudo about it) tactics.

When you say gambling, are you talking about opening chests?

I certainly have no love for Valve's inaction regarding betting sites (among other things), but either I'm completely missing what you're referring to, or...

Offline bristle back for life over here.

edit: gotta say that the lich immortal has made me appreciate the hero more, feels more satisfying heh.

That's a pretty good way to avoid stress!

When you say gambling, are you talking about opening chests?

I certainly have no love for Valve's inaction regarding betting sites (among other things), but either I'm completely missing what you're referring to, or...
yes, he's implying that RNG chest opening is gambling that must be stopped in addition to cosmetic betting sites.

valve's chests are definitely gambling, but it's no where near as egregious as the skin betting sites and shouldn't be treated in kind.

Those chests with their stupid ultra rares and such which do have a high value on the steam market make for pretty straight forward gambling.

Hey guys, just spend 2$ and you even get the chance to potentially get an item worth tens or hundreds of dollars!

Russ T

Banned
Of course it's gambling. The question is whether or not it's even remotely as unethical as the betting sites.

The answer is no!

(Though personally I'd be fine with seeing them gone. Even though I buy them. >_>)

Top Bottom