• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Hylian7

i played a lot of dota, but it have a terrible thing for one guy in his 30y...one game last 40 minutes! i really would like to restart playing, but a game must last not more then 25 minutes, or wife/son/job cant let me play it

I don't know where you work, or what your home situation is completely, but is there any reason you can't make a deal with your wife and say "I'm gonna play a game of Dota, can you watch the kid while I do?"

I say this as someone that does not have kids yet, but getting married next year.

i played a lot of dota, but it have a terrible thing for one guy in his 30y...one game last 40 minutes! i really would like to restart playing, but a game must last not more then 25 minutes, or wife/son/job cant let me play it
Same type of situation. I just play once she and my son are asleep with the baby monitor beside my keyboard. Usually I am only able to get one game in before being too tired to play properly but I can get a few games in a week this time. Once in a while you will have to abandon. It's a game. You aren't going pro at this point. Not the end of the world to lose MMR .

duppolo

I don't know where you work, or what your home situation is completely, but is there any reason you can't make a deal with your wife and say "I'm gonna play a game of Dota, can you watch the kid while I do?"

I say this as someone that does not have kids yet, but getting married next year.

ahahahaha you will see!

Earvin Magic Johnson
Congrats to my eSports team @Teamliquid, the official 2017 World Champions in @Dota2. What a great victory at #T17 in Seattle! #letsgoliquid

gladbron.png

Took a 14 month break from DotA. Didn't even watch 2016 International.

Decided to watch this year. My excitement made me fire up the game again.

Decided to play some DotA 2 after the international. 10 matches, combination of all random, single draft, all pick. Lost all but 2, which we only won because of early abandons. So in other words, no wins because of anything my team and I did, but there were plenty of crushing losses.

I'm almost 34. I don't have time to play a game that takes an hour with no payoff. Burned my entire two off days losing. My wife will come home today and ask me how my day off was today and I'll say miserable because I tricked myself into playing DotA again.

This was a strong reminder as to why I quit. Too much investment for minimal return.

Edit: guess I should add that before I quit, I had been playing since DotA 1.

52club

So much to learn about marriage....

Thanks for the post on your TI experience. I've got no desire to go, but it is fun to read about it.

duppolo

Decided to play some DotA 2 after the international. 10 matches, combination of all random, single draft, all pick. Lost all but 2, which we only won because of early abandons. So in other words, no wins because of anything my team and I did, but there were plenty of crushing losses.

I'm almost 34. I don't have time to play a game that takes an hour with no payoff. Burned my entire two off days losing. My wife will come home today and ask me how my day off was today and I'll say miserable because I tricked myself into playing DotA again.

This was a strong reminder as to why I quit. Too much investment for minimal return.

i post here instead of doing what you did :D

shira

Losing sucks, but winning is just a nice high I don't get from any of the AAA fotm games.

Your real mistake was playing international ranked, that place is full of raging cry babies who start intentionally feeding whern they lose a virtual bet

JoeInky

Your real mistake was playing international ranked, that place is full of raging cry babies who start intentionally feeding whern they lose a virtual bet

I started playing again after TI and I don't know what happened to international ranked, it's gone to complete shit.

Had a game where we had nobody on the offlane because a kunkka apparently wanted the safelane, so he just started spamming a taunt and fucking around in the lane, which ended up killing himself and our troll warlord, who proceeded to give up and afk jungle whilst the enemy team took structures.

Shit like that rarely used to happen but it's happened in a few games now.

To the people that registered to get the Aegis:
Did you get any confirmation email or something?
With how terrible my luck is I can see Valve telling me that I somehow didn't manage to register in time.

Red UFO

To the people that registered to get the Aegis:
Did you get any confirmation email or something?
With how terrible my luck is I can see Valve telling me that I somehow didn't manage to register in time.
No you don't. Pretty sure it just turns up in the post one day in the next 12 months.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am likely getting my hopes up, but I hope the SF Arcana I get is Golden. Valve still hasn't revealed what the Mystery Item in the Rarities of the Benefactor 2017 is. Would sell for so fucking much.

In reality I'll be lucky if it gets a Genuine Tag.

I liked how I earned more Player Cards due to the rewards from my Predictions. I guess for the next month I can still try to get all golden cards.

In anticipation of using my current avatar for the upcoiming season if the rumours to be believed, can someone make the background on pepe transparent?

I have tried deleting the white background with the paint .Net magic wand and saving it as a png. yet its still coming up as white...

wtf am i doing wrong?
misc-fEEd.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Magic wand, inner stroke of black, 1pix.

I don't know how paint.net works but I assume you have to enable the alpha channel somewhere.

that kind of dota its not dota...what is the best competitive alternative for one who want to play serious game of a moba, but with 30 min max duration?

HotS is right up your alley. DotA always has the chance of going for 60-90 minutes (although that rarely happens). HotS is usually 20-30 minute matches though.

sixghost

Does MMR ever reset or degrade over time? TI made me want to play again after taking a long break, but I don't want to get stomped for weeks until I'm down to an appropriate skill level.

Quesa

You play in unranked then I guess. If Valve doesn't want lapsed players ruining other people's games they should come up with a better system.

Hylian7

Your would be ruining 4 other ppls game due rustiness meta map changes etc

The same could be said for a lot of factors really. Maybe you're on tilt, maybe you're just playing badly that day for no particularly reason, maybe you're stuck on a hero you're extremely uncomfortable with somehow.

While I understand the idea and advantages by an MMR reset, or "seasons", if you will, I don't think it's necessary. Sure, sometimes a bad player can ruin a game, but it happens less often than you think. Many games with a bad player/intentional feeder/whatever are totally winnable. Yes, it sucks that you got saddled with that on your team, and I get that it's frustrating.

In the specific example of someone that hasn't played in a while and might be rusty to all the changes, help them out. Tell them "Oh you should get Aghs on AM, he got an Aghs last year and it's really good" other things like that. I guarantee you that even a rusty player will still have some idea how to play the game, and is totally different than a new player.

The MMR system is fine as it is for the most part. It's not perfect, but it is still a good measure of skill. You play better, your MMR will improve.

Personally I just need to play more solo games. I don't play them that often.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Is there a way to set the camera grip to act as though you're using the mini map to scroll as opposed to just edge scrolling or dragging the map small distances?

Playing starcraft reminded my how good it is to be able to quickly and accurately move the screen around the map without needing to go to the minimap itself.

Is there a way to set the camera grip to act as though you're using the mini map to scroll as opposed to just edge scrolling or dragging the map small distances?

Playing starcraft reminded my how good it is to be able to quickly and accurately move the screen around the map without needing to go to the minimap itself.
You have the option to bind camera positions in game.
Try browsing the settings, its somewhere there. Can't help much since on mobile atm.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

WASD camera, embrace it

Top Bottom