• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age lore guide for newcomers: come ask your questions!

I'm kind of confused by what Dragon Age Keep is, and the Kotaku lore guide didn't help. Is it just dialog options with little/no context like Kotaku implies? If so, is it actually needed if Inquisition is your first game anyway?

Dragon Age Keep is a website that Bioware made so people who have played either or both of the previous entries in the series can go and set the choices they made throughout those two games. This is done so we can have our personalized story in Dragon Age Inquisition instead of the default world state of w/e Bioware deems as the choices for people who haven't played either game.

The choices themselves aren't really expanded upon but there's a wordpress website people in here have the link for (I don't) that expands on every choice Dragon Age Keep gives you for fans.

If you haven't played the games there's little reason to use the keep, just go with the default world state. You can always read the OP and watch the videos linked in the first page of this thread for more background.

Also when shinobi's OT goes up he'll have summaries of the plots of the first two games so you can at least have an idea of what happened so far.

Grinchy

Banned
This thread has been helpful, but I also want to add, in addition to the efforts in this thread,

this kotaku beginner's guide is absolutely wonderful! Very easy to follow and covers the important stuff. it should be added to OP, or at least the OT

My only concern now is how big of a deal my choices in past games and characters I met play a role in DA:I I played the Keep to help me with that, but I'll probably still need to brush up on that.

This + Kotaku Guide + Shinobi's OT have greatly boosted my confidence and interest in this game!

Oh man, this and the OP are killing me. I was only really excited about GTA on tuesday, but now I'm dying to play Inquisition.

Verger

Banned
So I finally finished the Story video summary playthrough of DA2. I'm definitely all reved up and set for DAI!

DA2 definitely felt like a more complex story than DAO.

In DAO your main plot points are the Grey Wardens coming to fight against the new Blight. The King being betrayed by Loghain, and then uniting everyone to depose Loghain and then defeat the Archdemon and end the Blight. Pretty simple and It is at least a rather "settled" endgame.

In DA2 though, the plot takes place over the course of 10 years or so, which was a cool idea in theory, but executed poorly with the development of the game. Most of the game is delving deep into the inner-poltical minefield that is the city of Kirkwall. You've got the City leader, the Viscount, trying to keep the city in some semblance of peace, the Chantry and Grand Cleric staying neutral, The Templars acting like an occupation army, and the Mages acting like madmen. And then you've got the new Qunari who do not want to leave.

When the dust has settled, the city undergoes an attack by the Qunari, a terrorist bomb destroying the Chantry, and both the Templar Knight-Commander and the First Archmage of the Circle both going mad with power (Red Lyrium and Blood Magic respectively). Kirkwall is left in shambles and the player is left with a definite uncertain future with nothing settled.

Thankfully I got through this story just now before DAI and not when it came out and left wondering "what now????"

KePoW

Banned
Hey All,

If I played DA1 and loved it, but never played DA2... do you think it's worth going through the whole custom Keep thing?

Because I won't know anything about the DA2 choices/questions.

Should I just play the default world state in DA3??

Ploid 3.0

I don't remember what the default is set up as, but I don't see how you can go wrong using it. One of my strongest opinions in DA1 had me second guessing myself when I checked it on the keep (which character was to be king in Orzammar).

Hey All,

If I played DA1 and loved it, but never played DA2... do you think it's worth going through the whole custom Keep thing?

I didn't play DA2 and I was able to grasp the plot enough to make choices using the keep. You should be fine. I think the game will be a bit more immersive if you see some of your DA:O choices impacting the world.

KePoW

Banned
I don't remember what the default is set up as, but I don't see how you can go wrong using it. One of my strongest opinions in DA1 had me second guessing myself when I checked it on the keep (which character was to be king in Orzammar).

I didn't play DA2 and I was able to grasp the plot enough to make choices using the keep. You should be fine. I think the game will be a bit more immersive if you see some of your DA:O choices impacting the world.

ok kool thx!

Hey All,

You can watch the Keep play out the default storyline and then make minor changes if you want. Perhaps you want to side with one of the groups not the other, etc. It takes maybe 20 minutes of your time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
review topic locked, where do we talk about Inquisition since there is no OT yet :(

JoduanER2

I love the dragon age's lore, so rich and well thought, much like the one from mass effect, but im reading all of this to prepare for inquisition

cjp

So I think I've finally got my world state ready but I've got a couple of choices I can't decide between:

Dragon Age: Origins:
Loghain executed. If I keep him alive is he likely to show up in Inquisition? I think I'm mostly happy with this guy staying dead.

Witch Hunt DLC:
At the minute, I have it set to go through the Eluvian because I romanced Morrigan. Is that a good idea? I never actually played this DLC.

Dragon Age 2:
Merrill destroyed the Eluvian. I actually did this in the game because I wanted to get a rivalry with one of the companions and this is where it led too. I can't see this having any real impact in Inquisition, right?

Legacy DLC:
Sided with Larius. I didn't play this one either. I've read it through but I still can't really decide either way. Thoughts?

I've also got the Old God Baby with Morrigan. I don't think I'm going to change that but I'm interested in how it'll play out in Inquisition, if at all.

Killzig

So I think I've finally got my world state ready but I've got a couple of choices I can't decide between:

Dragon Age: Origins:
Loghain executed. If I keep him alive is he likely to show up in Inquisition? I think I'm mostly happy with this guy staying dead.

Witch Hunt DLC:
At the minute, I have it set to go through the Eluvian because I romanced Morrigan. Is that a good idea? I never actually played this DLC.

Dragon Age 2:
Merrill destroyed the Eluvian. I actually did this in the game because I wanted to get a rivalry with one of the companions and this is where it led too. I can't see this having any real impact in Inquisition, right?

Legacy DLC:
Sided with Larius. I didn't play this one either. I've read it through but I still can't really decide either way. Thoughts?

I've also got the Old God Baby with Morrigan. I don't think I'm going to change that but I'm interested in how it'll play out in Inquisition, if at all.
On your first Q:
Keep Loghain and Alistair alive. If you have a dead Loghain he gets replaced by a generic warden from DA2

I think the rest of your questions get bioware'd away but i'm not certain.

cjp

On your first Q:
Keep Loghain and Alistair alive. If you have a dead Loghain he gets replaced by a generic warden from DA2

I think the rest of your questions get bioware'd away but i'm not certain.

Thanks!

I didn't realise that about Q1.
I've changed it so he's now alive and I didn't seem to get any conflict warnings. Doesn't that mean that Alistair now hates the Warden though? Leaving the party and all that?

Haha, what do you mean by bioware'd away? Just doesn't really matter?

OK.

Finished DA:O and will start Inquisition soon.

Skipping 2 but what are some good choices to change in DA Keep for it anyway or is the default selections interesting enough? Already have my DA:O stuff set up. Edit. God damn it this is asked like 20 times in this thread already. lol.

Top Bottom