• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Swords Wii LARGE scans (<3 <3 <3 neo <3 <3 <3)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
NSider said:
It's a SEQUEL to Kenshin Dragon Quest (a plug and play game that has sold more than half a million copies in Japan). Also, this one here is almost completely 3D. Those small scans and that short clip at E3 look fine to me. It's not a port.

Edit: Here's a video of the old Kenshin DQ. Imagine a version of it in complete 3D and better controls and mechanics, and you've got DQS: TMQatToM (lol):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUXqtSHaNU

Ok, that's very simple but actually looks quite fun with the lines of combos and things.

If fleshed out with more variety, which a proper 3D engine and Wii controls will allow for, it could be quite good.

NSider

duckroll said:
Horii is the game designer for DQS, it's not some nobody Enix team doing it.
I meant the "Horii is actually taking this one seriously and working on fleshing it out a bit" part. Did he actually say that or is it an assumption?

ethelred

NSider said:
I meant the "Horii is actually taking this one seriously and working on fleshing it out a bit" part. Did he actually say that or is it an assumption?

Horii is doing the game design & scenario. That is what Ducky said. Horii did not do the game design on Kenshin DQ -- or on the Torneko games, or on Young Yangus, or on Slime Morimori, or on DQM, or on any other DQ spinoff.

So yes, that is a rather substantial hint that he's involved fairly seriously in the game, when his capacity on every other DQ spinoff has been strictly "producer." This is Horii's game.

And in fact, you don't know if it's a sequel to Kenshin, or how it will play at all beyond the fact that the remote is used to make attacks, so you should probably stop acting like you have some intimate knowledge about the game.

NSider

ethelred said:
And in fact, you don't know if it's a sequel to Kenshin, or how it will play at all beyond the fact that the remote is used to make attacks, so you should probably stop acting like you have some intimate knowledge about the game.
It was reported before that the game is branded as a sequel to Kenshin, and it obviously looks like it is a sequel from the video and screenshots. I'm not acting like I have intimate knowledge about the game, because I don't. I'm just saying that it's clearly very similar to Kenshin.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It doesn't come to any surprise that I'm not a DQ fan... but if this is the closest thing to a King's Field-style game on the Wii, it's probably worth keeping my eye on...

john tv

NSider said:
It was reported before that the game is branded as a sequel to Kenshin, and it obviously looks like it is a sequel from the video and screenshots. I'm not acting like I have intimate knowledge about the game, because I don't. I'm just saying that it's clearly very similar to Kenshin.
I've never heard anything about Kenshin in reference to DQ Swords here in Japan. Got a link or a source?

I said it looks boring. I never said it is boring. You're getting way too worked up over my comment. It just reminds me of those horrible samurai arcade games. I just hope its not one of those games where the character stands in one place. If they could somehow make it like Dark Messiah then I would be more hyped.

Amir0x

Banned
john tv said:
I've never heard anything about Kenshin in reference to DQ Swords here in Japan. Got a link or a source?

Here is a source...

[url=http://wii.ign.com/articles/709/709625p1.html]IGN[/url] said:
Why do we bring all of this up? At E3 2006, Square Enix announced that Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors would launch for Nintendo's Wii system. And you guessed it -- the game is an all-new sequel to Kenshin Dragon Quest, according to representatives for Square Enix. Based on all of this, what we can expect from the game?

And also, since it appears that these screens once again indicate it's also a first-person 'hack and slash' adventure game like Kenshin DQ, it would make logical sense given what the wiimote does.

ethelred

Amir0x said:
For one, it didn't say "E3 representatives."

This:

At E3 2006, Square Enix announced that Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors would launch for Nintendo's Wii system. And you guessed it -- the game is an all-new sequel to Kenshin Dragon Quest, according to representatives for Square Enix. Based on all of this, what we can expect from the game?

... would indicate "E3 representatives," to me.

But maybe you would prefer "representatives at E3" instead?

Amir0x said:
For two, they still know more than you.

I dunno, man, I was at E3, I talked to these representatives. The vast majority of them were vastly less informed than the average GAFer (and that's saying something, isn't it?). They carry around little pieces of paper containing the preapproved talking points and if you get them off script, well...

Anyway, it's a moot issue. It's a game that involves attacking by slashing a sword. Duh. We all knew that. Of course there's a similarity there to Kenshin. What we don't know is how fleshed out the gameplay systems beyond that are, and how much more in-depth the mechanics will be. That someone at E3 made the obvious comparison to Kenshin doesn't change that we still don't have these details, and won't until the veil of secrecy is lifted off the game. Though these scans reveal town exploration which is already kicking it above Kenshin in gameplay.

duckroll

For what it's worth, Atlus USA representatives at E3 also told IGN that Persona 3 was a continuation of the story in Persona and Persona 2, and that the game would be released in Japan in 2007. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
This:

... would indicate "E3 representatives," to me.

But maybe you would prefer "representatives at E3" instead?

A classical case of taking something out of context. It says the GAME was announced at E3 2006. Seperately, it said an SquareEnix representative confirmed it's a sequel to Kenshin Dragon Swords (could be a rep from the US, Japan... the paragraph doesn't say). Even assuming it IS an E3 representative, why the hell would they submit that forward if they didn't even at least have a hint that that was the case? That seems like an awfully odd thing for a SquareEnix representative to keep under their belt if it wasn't at least partially true.

ethelred

duckroll said:
For what it's worth, Atlus USA representatives at E3 also told IGN that Persona 3 was a continuation of the story in Persona and Persona 2, and that the game would be released in Japan in 2007. :lol

And Namco Bandai representatives told me that Tales of the Abyss would have voice acting in their skits.

Amir0x said:
A classical case of taking something out of context. It says the GAME was announced at E3 2006. Seperately, it said an SquareEnix representative confirmed it's a sequel to Kenshin Dragon Swords (could be a rep from the US, Japan... the paragraph doesn't say). Even assuming it IS an E3 representative, why the hell would they submit that forward if they didn't even at least have a hint that that was the case? That seems like an awfully odd thing for a SquareEnix representative to keep under their belt if it wasn't at least partially true.

Okay, okay. "Representatives at E3" it is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Koren said:
This 'shit' is very linear as an RPG, but really really fun. Wiimote is far better for motion detection than the IR sword, especially since Nunchuck can be used for shield. I would be happy if this was the same kind of game. I doubt it is simply a port, though.

I enjoyed Kenshin Dragon Quest quite a bit. Got my copy for 300 yen. :D

john tv

I guess my thing is simply that I haven't seen any mention of Kenshin Dragon Quest in any Japanese DQ Wii coverage. I mean, of course it's going to play similarly -- that much is a given. But is it an actual sequel to KDQ? I dunno.

Amir0x

Banned
john tv said:
I guess my thing is simply that I haven't seen any mention of Kenshin Dragon Quest in any Japanese DQ Wii coverage. I mean, of course it's going to play similarly -- that much is a given. But is it an actual sequel to KDQ? I dunno.

oh, yeah... in terms of the storyline, I don't think it'll be a pure sequel in that way. Just borrowing a lot of those gameplay elements.

pkasho

NSider said:
It's a SEQUEL to Kenshin Dragon Quest (a plug and play game that has sold more than half a million copies in Japan). Also, this one here is almost completely 3D. Those small scans and that short clip at E3 look fine to me. It's not a port.

Edit: Here's a video of the old Kenshin DQ. Imagine a version of it in complete 3D and better controls and mechanics, and you've got DQS: TMQatToM (lol):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUXqtSHaNU

Man, I love the old DQ music~

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
ethelred said:
Yep, during Iwata's speech he mentioned Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games would both be on the system.

That's what I thought... jeeze, that must have just been a promise or something, because 2 years and still practically NO information about these games is odd.

Is Game Design Studios still functional, or is that little fund program over?
Is it internal Square now making these?

ethelred

John Harker said:
That's what I thought... jeeze, that must have just been a promise or something, because 2 years and still practically NO information about these games is odd.

Is Game Design Studios still functional, or is that little fund program over?
Is it internal Square now making these?

The studio was for all intents and purposes internal Square anyway -- all the staff was Square staff; it was just a little shell game they were playing with the name.

Dunno who's doing the development this time around, except that Kawazu is producing again.

duckroll

Genius Sonority are the guys behind Pokemon Colossium, Pokemon XD and Pokemon Battle Revolution. I don't think Eighting needs any introduction.

The game will be on a DVD, and is a "relaxing RPG", 1 player and will be out in Spring 2007. The game will be playable at the November Nintendo events as I mentioned before.

Edit: The composers are Kouchi Sugiyama and Manami Matsumae. Sugiyama is the regular DQ veteran composer, while Matsumae worked on mostly arcade and action games from Capcom and Sunsoft days.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Has anyone asked about Square Enix getting on the VC? Or hell, possibly seeing some DQ remakes? Its working for Square and the DS, why not Enix and the Wii?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I believe the guy who owns the majority of Genius Sonority also worked on previous DQ titles. Hopefully it turns out good :D (could go either way with 8ing though).

ethelred

duckroll said:
Genius Sonority are the guys behind Pokemon Colossium, Pokemon XD and Pokemon Battle Revolution. I don't think Eighting needs any introduction.

And notably, prior to that, the president was the director of DQ5 and DQ6. Not bad choices, either way, though Eighting's a bit of an unusual one. Regardless, cool.

duckroll said:
The game will be on a DVD, and is a "relaxing RPG", 1 player and will be out in Spring 2007. The game will be playable at the November Nintendo events as I mentioned before.

But I thought it wasn't an RPG. :lol

Anyway, cool. Hopefully they mean early spring. I'm looking forward to more info... which I guess we'll get this month when people play it.

Alex said:
It's ****in' Dragon Quest. Do not doubt the greatness of Dragon Quest.

jj984jj said:
I believe the guy who owns the majority of Genius Sonority also worked on previous DQ titles. Hopefully it turns out good :D (could go either way with 8ing though).

Yep, directed 5 and 6.

Really, it's the fact that Horii is doing the game design that's giving me such optimism here. If it was just a random spinoff... cool, but no big deal. But Horii actually making the game is huge, because I don't think he's ever really disappointed me with Dragon Quest.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
I believe the guy who owns the majority of Genius Sonority also worked on previous DQ titles.

Really? They seem to be pimping their Pokemon Collossium portfolio on the site. I dunno how that's even a good thing. :/

Eighting is just a random choice for a developer of a first person RPG. Other than using this as a test bed for their Wii engine for future Naruto games I'm not sure what they could be contributing here. :/

Oh well, at least it's listed as a RPG so Amir0x is pwned, etc etc. :p

Vargas

jj984jj said:

That didn't help their Pokemon games any. Hopefully it turns out well though.

duckroll said:
Really? They seem to be pimping their Pokemon Collossium portfolio on the site. I dunno how that's even a good thing. :/

Eighting is just a random choice for a developer of a first person RPG. Other than using this as a test bed for their Wii engine for future Naruto games I'm not sure what they could be contributing here. :/

Oh well, at least it's listed as a RPG so Amir0x is pwned, etc etc. :p

When was it NOT an RPG?

I swear to god people on this forum are totally ****ing nuts.

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
When was it NOT an RPG?

I swear to god people on this forum are totally ****ing nuts.

Nsider said:
It's not really an RPG you MORAN. It's a first person hack & slash adventure game thingy. But look, it has SLIMES!

He even called us MORANS!

jj984jj

john tv said:
Ugh, Genus Sorority and Eighting... What are you people doing to my Dragon Quest... :(
Yeah! I mean why take it out of the reliable hands of Chunsoft and TOSE? I hate you S-E.

ethelred

john tv said:
Ugh, Genus Sorority and Eighting... What are you people doing to my Dragon Quest... :(

Oh, c'mon. The Sonority people were fine when they were developing DQ5 and DQ6. And Eighting... really doesn't matter. They're the coding grunts this time around; is there really any problem with their ability to program?

Horii's doing the game design... as he's done on the eight numbered entries in the series. So what's the problem?

jj984jj said:
Yeah! I mean why take it out of the reliable hands of Chunsoft and TOSE? I hate you S-E.

Not to mention Cavia developing Young Yangus.

duckroll

Totally off topic, but does anyone know who the composers are for the following upcoming PS2 games:

- Wild Arms Vth Vanguard
- Dragon Shadow Spell
- Summon Night 4
- Soul Cradle

Thanks. :)

jj984jj

duckroll said:
Totally off topic, but does anyone know who the composers are for the following upcoming PS2 games:

- Wild Arms Vth Vanguard
- Dragon Shadow Spell
- Summon Night 4
- Soul Cradle

Thanks. :)
Still trying to sniff out Mitsuda's game? Dragon Shadow Spell is the first thing that popped into my mind, but then I hoped it wasn't since it'll never see the light of day in NA. I doubt they got rid of Naruke for Wild Arms 5, but I guess it could be a calibration.

After getting in to the series with VIII (70 hours in now), as well as picking up and loving Rocket Slime, I can't wait to try out games like Joker and DQ Swords.

Will DQ Yangus ever see the light of day outside of Japan?

john tv

ethelred said:
Oh, c'mon. The Sonority people were fine when they were developing DQ5 and DQ6. And Eighting... really doesn't matter. They're the coding grunts this time around; is there really any problem with their ability to program?

Horii's doing the game design... as he's done on the eight numbered entries in the series. So what's the problem?

Not to mention Cavia developing Young Yangus.
Mitsuda's working on Luminous Arc. As for Genus Sonority, they had nothing to do with DQ5 and DQ6. And Pokemon Colosseum is ugly as sin.

BTW, where does it say Eighting is involved? They're not mentioned in the Jump article or on the web site.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't bother to let the site load up. Now I see Eighting.

Top Bottom