• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Got it pointing out that the defense force is stronger than ever is whining. So when you guys get all up in arms that somebody doesn't like your precious driveclub what's that qualify as? People dislike games, there doesn't always have to be an agenda. Valid criticisms are constantly shot down and chased out thanks to the influx of Sony fanboys.

Are you actually 12?
The 'defence force' isn't a real thing. It's in your head.

Am I missing something? Is engaging with criticism of a game not allowed yet? Are people not allowed to discuss criticism's and opinions of games, positive or otherwise, for fear of being labeled fanboys?

And fucking lol at the defense force bullshit above. Christ.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Are you actually 12?
The 'defence force' isn't a real thing. It's in your head.

Haha sure it isn't, all the same group of people jump down your throat in any Sony exclusive thread proclaiming bias and agenda. Youre blind if you dont see it. Again this is coming from a Sony guy.

Theonik

It is only trying to simulate what you actually see in real life but in exaggerated form. In reality nothing can simulate how your eyes adjust to light and dark, how it tracks objects and how quickly it focuses. Too advanced for current tech.
I think it's kind of impossible since you are trying to simulate an effect your eyes have which you then observe using your eyes. Typically the shortcut is to try and take inspiration of Cinema interpretations of these effects instead. They aren't meant to be necessarily realistic but aesthetically pleasing.

Unsurprisingly, The Order is another game that has rabid fanboys defending it all the time from criticism. Go figure.

Do you expect people who enjoy the game to agree with all your criticisms?
And if they don't they're fanboys?

Is that how that works?

The thing is many posters who like Driveclub (Nullpointer, bananafactory and viveks to name but a few) have frequently responded with very intelligent and well considered responses to many of the criticisms. They have also expressed very clearly and articulately why they like features and aspects of Driveclub.

Are they all to be considered part of your imaginary 'defence force' because they don't subscribe to factually inaccurate criticism such as 'the director had no confidence in the soundtrack' or drive by inanity such as 'dull graphics' and 'soulless'?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do you expect people to enjoy the game to agree with all your criticisms?

Is that how that works?

Funny how its the exact opposite. The people who enjoyed the order often accuse you of missing the point or not having played the game. It can never be simply they didn't like it. I've never once called out somebody for liking the game. More power to you if you did... To me it was an absolute waste of time.

Melchiah

Oh yeah the tracks are free! Thanks!

How do you guys rank the locations anyway? Any of your prefer one strongly over the other?

Japan, Canada, India, Norway, Scotland, and Chile would be the ranking order for me. The first three are what I play the most.

Do you expect people who enjoy the game to agree with all your criticisms?

Is that how that works?

I don't call people who disagree with my opinion on a game a troll or claim that they have an agenda. Nor do I outright ask others to stop criticizing a game I like. But then again, I'm not 12.

Funny how its the exact opposite. The people who enjoyed the order often accuse you of missing the point or not having played the game. It can never be simply they didn't like it. I've never once called out somebody for liking the game. More power to you if you did... To me it was an absolute waste of time.

So... basically, you're taking what a few posters say and generalizing it to an entire thread?

Real fucking smart.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So... basically, you're taking what a few posters say and generalizing it to an entire thread?

Real fucking smart.

Nope I said the sdf is frequent in those threads, not that everyone in the thread is part of the sdf. Reading comprehension would help this situation.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Can we stop with this defense force fanboy bullshit and get back to discussing the game.

If you guys want to discuss about the right ways to make criticism that's nice, but i think this is a thread to engage with people that are interested/playing the PS+ version of Driveclub.

Back on topic, i purchased the game 1 week ago and am having a good time, but man the last event of the startline tour is hard as fuck

Nope I said the sdf is frequent in those threads, not that everyone in the thread is part of the sdf. Reading comprehension would help this situation.

Yea, I don't think I missed anything. The fact that you somehow conflate a few posters saying stupid shit with the "Sony Defense Force" is telling enough as to where you're coming from.

People are allowed to criticize a game. People are allowed to have opinions that they don't enjoy something. But guess what? On a message board, people are allowed to criticize those opinions and vice-versa. Perhaps you shouldn't partake in simplification of an entire discussion just because of a few posters.

Mifune

Mehmber
After a couple hours of playing the PS+ version I ponied up the 25 for the full game. Did not expect that to happen. But it's really addictive and fun.

I'm absolutely terrible at it though.

Yurikerr

There were some great choices for Startline, but Dam Busters? NoThankYou.jpeg, lol

YEAH!! Fuck this race, i can't finish top 3 even when i drive like Lewis Hamilton....

The first 2 racers look like they are driving turbo hoverboards.

Gestault

When I select another car it either says that I need to connect to the Driveclub server whatever that means..

Those may be club-specific cars. Others you'll get access to from playing over time, but a handful are specifically earned through a club ranking, so if you're offline, you won't be able to unlock them.

Can we stop with this defense force fanboy bullshit and get back to discussing the game.

If you guys want to discuss about the right ways to make criticism that's nice, but i think this is a thread to engage with people that are interested/playing the PS+ version of Driveclub.

Back on topic, i purchased the game 1 week ago and am having a good time, but man the last event of the startline tour is hard as fuck

Good point. Sorry for getting sucked into responding to the stupid 'defence force' bullshit.

For those who just got the game and are finding the Startline Tour a bit tricky or overwhelming I have a suggestion.
Start by doing some time trials on a circuit track (I would suggest a shorter track with fairly easier turns to start off) in hatchbacks or sports cars. The leap in difficulty from the lower class cars to the Supercars and Hypercars is quite large when you are starting out.
Once you complete a lap you should get to follow your own ghost car which can help with watching where you brake too late or where you took the wrong line. Do some more laps and just keep trying to better the line of your ghost and learn the feel of the braking characteristics of the car.
Once you've done that, set up a single race of about five laps on a moderate difficuly level with about 8 cars. This will get you used to racing the same track but with opponents.
If you don't see an improvement by the time you finish that race then, I dunno, racing might not be your thing. Lol

I think we need to pause for a moment and remember this is a free demo, so there's going to be people with much wider array of interests responding to the game, so we've got to expect a lot of negative impressions. It doesn't mean they're wrong and we're right, it just means they didn't like it. That's perfectly acceptable. While I see people responding to specific criticisms since they see the game so differently, I'd just caution about labeling people as fanboys or having an agenda. Its an ugly situation we don't need to take part in. Its ok if people don't like DC, they'll move on to other pastures. We should just take the bad with the good.

Sorry, end of soapbox preachy time. ;)

AkuMifune

Banned
My impression from this thread so far is that people who don't seem to be good at racing games don't like Driveclub, lol
I suck, but really have been enjoying my time with it. I just had to remember to brake before the turns instead of during. Or after.

But this thread has too much weird negativity. I'll just enjoy the game away from here, thanks.

Lake Shoji and Takahagi (sp?) Hills have to be two of the best tracks in the whole game.

I love the tracks in this game. Japan in general has an amazing flow of the tracks. I think there is only one single track I don't like in the entire game it's the observatory in chile I hate it I dont understand it and I can't drive on it with any cars at any speed.

Gestault

I love the tracks in this game. Japan in general has an amazing flow of the tracks. I think there is only one single track I don't like in the entire game it's the observatory in chile I hate it I dont understand it and I can't drive on it with any cars at any speed.

If it's the track I'm thinking of, the suuuuper subtle twin apex turns can feel like you're lost halfway through it if you zone out.

joecanada

My impression from this thread so far is that people who don't seem to be good at racing games don't like Driveclub, lol

Well you could certainly argue that driving around in circles gets boring but that's not Driveclub;s problem. I played it for 30
minutes so far more than enough time to say it's a good racing game... If racing games aren't your thing I have no idea why anyone would download it in the first place let alone come here to tell everyone about it.
I used to be obsessed with gt things change I'm not really into racing games anymore but Driveclub is solid. will be a great relaxing game for me

Japan, Canada, India, Norway, Scotland, and Chile would be the ranking order for me. The first three are what I play the most.

Hmm.
I don't think I rank the countries per se.
I love some of the Scottish tracks and with afternoon lighting with light clouds sometimes the shifting light breaking through the clouds is incredibly accurate in terms of colour and quality for the north of the UK.
I like the Black Hills track loads as well.
I absolutely love one of the Canadian tracks in the wet. The one that snakes up a hill side, can't remember the name for the life of me.
I also love some of the point to points in India and Chile, and with the right weather and time settingsettings they to can look breathtaking.
A couple of the Norway tacks look really good at night what with the Aurora Borealis and the lights on the ferry and the town.
Racing past the blossom in Japan and over the bridges is thrilling too.
I don't think I can easily separate the countries to rank them. They all have great tracks to me.

That's not one of my favourites (although it can look stunning for night to day transitions) because one of the races in the original tour makes you race it in a Bentley and, boy oh boy, did I hate how the Bentley handled. It's easier in a car that lets you get the back end out a bit. It's quite an unforgiving track though due to camber changes and narrow turns in quick succession, totally horrible in a car like the Bentley that handles like a barge.

I suck, but really have been enjoying my time with it. I just had to remember to brake before the turns instead of during. Or after.

But this thread has too much weird negativity. I'll just enjoy the game away from here, thanks.

It depends on your car, if it has a high drift value then you can often use this ability in normal races by sliding through a turn (which turns out to be faster than the conventional way in a lot of cases).

Since there's been a lot more activity surrounding this game on Twitch, I've been watching new players on and off for a few days now. What I've discovered is people are used to over the top arcade racers (I guess) because they have a strange aversion to using the brakes. They're going into yellow corners full bore and wondering why they're wiiping out or pinballing off the walls. Not saying everyone is trying to plow through without braking, but quite a lot of them seem to be.

Since there's been a lot more activity surrounding this game on Twitch, I've been watching new players on and off for a few days now. What I've discovered is people are used to over the top arcade racers (I guess) because they have a strange aversion to using the brakes. They're going into yellow corners full bore and wondering why they're wiiping out or pinballing off the walls. Not saying everyone is trying to plow through without braking, but quite a lot of them seem to be.

In the VERY little that I've played, this is the issue i ran into. I think the game looks to be way more forgiving than it actually is. After a couple races I realized I'd have to remember my GT license test training from back in the day and treat it more like a real racing game and not some eye candy arcade racer.

And that shock on first impressions I think could lead to some misconceptions or jarring first takes. It's not as much a pick up and play casual game as it looks

desu

That's not one of my favourites (although it can look stunning for night to day transitions) because one of the races in the original tour makes you race it in a Bentley and, boy oh boy, did I hate how the Bentley handled. It's easier in a car that lets you get the back end out a bit. It's quite an unforgiving track though due to camber changes and narrow turns in quick succession, totally horrible in a car like the Bentley that handles like a barge.

Do you have the DLC packs? There is another race where you have to take the VUHL (Vuhl proof I think) around the track, that one sucks so much, absolutely hated the car on this track.

When you learn how to use the brakes, handbrake and gas in unison, the game 'clicks' and you realize just how deep it's gameplay is. Not only must you use your fucking brakes, you can't always go full-tilt. You need to pump them pedals.

Do you have the DLC packs? There is another race where you have to take the VUHL (Vuhl proof I think) around the track, that one sucks so much, absolutely hated the car on this track.

I have the season pass. I haven't been playing it frequently recently but it's no fault of Driveclub.
I have a load of games and I'm struggling to get through them all and I've just added Arkham Knight and Planetside 2 to the list.

I actually enjoyed racing that Chilean track much more in a slower car (Lotus Evora, I think) in the wet when I set up a night to day single race.

Speaking of the season pass - I just want to echo what others have said.
If you're new to Driveclub and enjoying it you should give serious consideration to buying the season pass.
The car packs are excellent and contain some great looking, sounding and handling cars. Especially the Ferrari F50 andi F40, McLaren F1 and 650S and of course, all the Lamborghinis.
If you are really balking at the idea of the season pass then you should at least consider the car packs.

The car packs are excellent and contain some great looking, sounding and handling cars. Especially the Ferrari F50 andi F40, McLaren F1 and 650S and of course, all the Lamborghinis.
If I hadn't already bought the season pass I would've after that Lamborghini trailer. I've watched the thing so many times. Probably my favorite racing game trailer for audio/visual goodness at a careening clip. Then again I am weak to Lambos.

And the Sesto Elemento release later just pushed me over the top.

Yurikerr

I hopped on to see what the fuss was about with his Dam Busters race. As it turns out, it was nothing.

Humble brag

Hahaha, nice one. I envy you. Last night i spent at least 1.5 hour trying to beat this challenge.

One thing i think it's important to note is that i can't stand using anything that's not the bumper camera. The game just feels so slow....

Top Bottom