• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
You like to get sideways a lot. That the proper event or the startline version of it?

It's the Starting Line tour.

Drifting is my favorite thing. While I may lose time, it's an absolute blast coordinating the throttle, brake and e-brake to get through a corner safely.

Also it might be the reason some many people find it difficult. If you play it like GT of pCars, you'll find it difficult to get the podium.

Lasdrub

I've found that a good way to get some practice in is to just do single event time trials and set the weather to dry.

That's what I should do. I got the second star on the hot hatch race where you drive a mini cooper, so that definitely helped, but it was rainy so I did terribly when I raced in a snowy environment in a faster car.

Thanks for the advice.

DJ Gunner

In the VERY little that I've played, this is the issue i ran into. I think the game looks to be way more forgiving than it actually is. After a couple races I realized I'd have to remember my GT license test training from back in the day and treat it more like a real racing game and not some eye candy arcade racer.

And that shock on first impressions I think could lead to some misconceptions or jarring first takes. It's not as much a pick up and play casual game as it looks

The funny thing is, the game was patched some time ago to be much more forgiving when you go off track or hit a guard rail. It used to slow you down wayy more than it does currently.

I've played racing games pretty heavily for the last 12 years on console, from Midnight Club to Burnout to GT and Forza. Driveclub is easily among the more challenging titles that have been released and was even more so prepatch. It is definitely a throwback to the more difficult arcade titles of the ps2 era while requiring the precision and braking of modern simcade titles like Forza.

It's the Starting Line tour.

Drifting is my favorite thing. While I may lose time, it's an absolute blast coordinating the throttle, brake and e-brake to get through a corner safely.

Also it might be the reason some many people find it difficult. If you play it like GT of pCars, you'll find it difficult to get the podium.

I rarely get sideways unless it is a drift event or I'm just faffing about. Most important thing to be aware of is the later breaking points and that you don't have to be as careful accelerating out of the apex if you come from sims. I'm interested in how that style of driving works on some of the harder time trials, or the Pacesetters tour version of Dam Busters if that is the Startline version.

I hope the ps+ edition is a huge success that get many people to upgrade to full game and Sony to announce second season pass. this is probably the only game that I kinda didn't want a sequel but just let them continue making season pass adding more cars and tracks.

ZangBa

I gave this game a shot and didn't like it very much. I would have liked some type of tutorial in the beginning to show me how I'm supposed to drive in this game, but they just threw me in a race and shit on me. Feels similar to Gran Turismo, 3 specifically since it is the last one I played, but something feels off about this game. I was surprised there wasn't any music during races. I don't know, I just find Driveclub really boring. It doesn't feel like a great sim racer, and it sure isn't arcadey. I couldn't care less about graphics so that doesn't do anything for me. I'll give it another go in a few days, maybe I'll learn to like it.

I gave this game a shot and didn't like it very much. I would have liked some type of tutorial in the beginning to show me how I'm supposed to drive in this game, but they just threw me in a race and shit on me. Feels similar to Gran Turismo, 3 specifically since it is the last one I played, but something feels off about this game. I was surprised there wasn't any music during races. I don't know, I just find Driveclub really boring. It doesn't feel like a great sim racer, and it sure isn't arcadey. I couldn't care less about graphics so that doesn't do anything for me. I'll give it another go in a few days, maybe I'll learn to like it.
Music is off by default.

Use brakes.

Epcott

Oh man, this game is hard lol! I lost so much in the initial boot up race, I had to turn down the volume, put on headphones to Ridge Racers Soundtrack: Light Groove, and zone out. Three hours later I was finally able to place third (though it would have been immensely helpful if I utilized and mastered the emergency brake for turns).

Started a race after and couldn't take it anymore. Deleted. I suck, and I accept that, but have mercy 😳

RootCause

Oh man, this game is hard lol! I lost so much in the initial boot up race, I had to turn down the volume, put on headphones to Ridge Racers Soundtrack: Light Groove, and zone out. Three hours later I was finally able to place third (though it would have been immensely helpful if I utilized and mastered the emergency brake for turns).

Started a race after and couldn't take it anymore. Deleted. I suck, and I accept that, but have mercy 😳
Is there a difficulty slider?

zkorejo

Game looks amazing.....! Best looking games on PS4 without a doubt. Best weather effects ever.

Too bad I feel like I am not really good at driving in this game... IDK what it is but its hard to control the cars during the sharp turns. I release the throttle, turn the car (even use brakes and handbrakes) then accelerate but most of the time I lose control of the car, hit a wall/go out of the road and lose my speed.

Once I get left behind, I never get back to the other cars no matter what I do... then I get worries and lose my focus and make other mistakes.

I guess I need more practice.

Idk what it is, but the driving feels so off to me in this game. And this isn't coming from some newbie in the racing game genre. I have racing wheels, my Ferrari wheel set up, love sims, some NFS here and there, and play Forza series till my heart stops (with gas, tire wear, all damage on, etc). It's just that this game seems to have some weird mechanics. It's like it's trying to be an arcade racer AND a sim and masters neither of the two. Also it feels inconsistent: I can hit a guard rail at some points and it barely stops my speed, while other times I can hit on or go off road an inch and I might as well let go of the controller because the car just goes into "fuck it let's spin" mode.

Also the rubberband style AI. If there's one thing I don't like in racing games is the "I can do anything you can do" AI where they all of a sudden become godlike because you don't suck. If I'm better than the AI, then I expect to be just that, better. I don't need the always on your ass to make things seem balls to the walls all the time mechanic. I shouldn't be shitting on the opposition in the first half then all of a sudden they become Ricky Bobby on the final lap.

Not hating on the game though. The graphics are nice, the sounds are nice, the rain...oh god that glorious rain. But the mechanics turn me off for some reason idk.

Kodros

Game looks amazing.....! Best looking games on PS4 without a doubt. Best weather effects ever.

Too bad I feel like I am not really good at driving in this game... IDK what it is but its hard to control the cars during the sharp turns. I release the throttle, turn the car (even use brakes and handbrakes) then accelerate but most of the time I lose control of the car, hit a wall/go out of the road and lose my speed.

Once I get left behind, I never get back to the other cars no matter what I do... then I get worries and lose my focus and make other mistakes.

I guess I need more practice.

That's easy to fix, go slower =) Use your breaks enough before the turn so that you can let go of the throttle and just have your momentum push you around the turn. Then give it some gas on the way out of the turn.

Also, don't worry about getting left behind. Just continue the race and learn the car/track.

Also the rubberband style AI. If there's one thing I don't like in racing games is the "I can do anything you can do" AI where they all of a sudden become godlike because you don't suck. If I'm better than the AI, then I expect to be just that, better. I don't need the always on your ass to make things seem balls to the walls all the time mechanic. I shouldn't be shitting on the opposition in the first half then all of a sudden they become Ricky Bobby on the final lap..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87583543&postcount=627

RootCause

Don't worry, they hinted that one is coming in a future update.
That's awesome, not super hardcore racer, so I welcome the difficulty options. Truth be told, losing wasn't going to stop me from playing it. Not sure when Amazon is going to get my order(still out of stock), but soon. It's going for $23 atm.

banjo5150

I haven't played a racing game in years. I picked up the full version off PSN. I love the way it looks in cockpit view but was terrible controlling it.

I sit about 12 ft away from the TV, so I decided to try and get a feel for it as in real life. Grabbed a chair, sit right in front of the TV, and played with in cockpit view. Wow it is a lot easier to drive and I freaking love it, even if I do look cheesy sitting up close.

I am actually looking into buying a steering wheel. I just don't know what to get or which one is the best.

Vex_

Banned
Idk what it is, but the driving feels so off to me in this game.

I pretty much agree with this whole post, but thus point here the most.

It feels 'wrong'. I cant say why. Like, the game has an identity crisis. It doesnt know if it wants to be sim, or arcade.

The polish and authenticity seems to point towards sim, but the handling model amd sense of speed point to arcade -- but kinda not sorta.

Not enjoying this game. Stopped after half an hour though.

Maybe it's just me then being overly paranoid. Could be me feeling that way due to the wonky punishment I feel the game has set up.

If you are spending time worrying about the 'punishments' then you are focusing on the wrong thing.
Concentrate on improving your throttle control, braking and the lines you choose. If you go off the road less you won't have to worry about the penalties.
If you are struggling with one particular track then do it as a time trial a few times and watch your ghost to learn from your previous mistakes.
If you haven't got to grips with handling then start doing a circuit as a time trial, then as a single race of around five laps on moderate difficulty. By the fifth lap you should be easily seeing an improvement in performance. Also start in slower cars until you get the hang of it and be aware that many of the cars have quite different characteristics and some may suit your driving style much better than others.

There isn't rubber banding, Evolution have said this multiple times. If you drive poorly the AI slows down a bit to give you at least some chance to finish amongst the other cars.
If you drive well they give you a reasonable challenge but never exceed the properties of the car itself.

nib95

Banned
I pretty much agree with this whole post, but thus point here the most.

It feels 'wrong'. I cant say why. Like, the game has an identity crisis. It doesnt know if it wants to be sim, or arcade.

The polish and authenticity seems to point towards sim, but the handling model amd sense of speed point to arcade -- but kinda not sorta.

Not enjoying this game. Stopped after half an hour though.

That's probably why lol. A good racer has a solid learning curve, and requires time, effort and practise to master. It also ends up being far more rewarding because of it.

Personally I don't think the game does have an identity crisis, I just feel people are too quick to want to pigeon hole it in to being what they specifically want it to be. It's a simcade racer. That's how it's always been advertised and sold, and it has no less of an identity crisis than other simcade racers before it, like GRID, Shift, Project Gotham Racing etc.

That's probably why lol. A good racer has a solid learning curve, and requires time, effort and practise to master. It also ends up being far more rewarding because of it.

Personally I don't think the game does have an identity crisis, I just feel people are too quick to want to pigeon hole it in to being what they specifically want it to be. It's a simcade racer. That's how it's always been advertised and sold, and it has no less of an identity crisis than other simcade racers before it, like GRID, Shift, Project Gotham Racing etc.

Yup.
I see this game as a spiritual successor to the arcade versions of Sega Rally and Sega Rally 2 (minus rallying, obviously).
It is an attractive game set in distinctive and well themed locales.
It has a handling model that is challenging with out getting bogged down in simulation and without the bizzare eccentricities of some arcade games.
It bears enough resemblance to actual driving (weight shifting affecting balance, oversteer and understeer for example) to provide a challenge by simultaneously allowing the user to apply knowledge of racing techniques whilst maintaining a sense of drama and fun.
Its all about racing therefore it allows you to get into the racing quickly. Pick your car and go, much like the arcade games did.
It also has no uneccesary driving aids. You need to learn the tracks and you need to learn the cars if you want to get good.
Back in the days when my reactions were probably quicker I used to set really good times on those Sega Rally games. I didn't do it the first time I played it. It took practice. With practice comes setting faster times and the genuine feeling of reward for that practice.
Driveclub has all of that in abundance. Sadly I'm not in danger of getting top times on the leaderboards these days but it doesn't make the trying any less rewarding.

Striek

So I put this on D/L earlier and the main (?) file of 2.7ish GB has already downloaded, its halfway downloading an 10.5GB "update file", but after the small file downloaded it started a 15GB "application data" file ???

How big is the game meant to be and when can I actually play the game :|

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
So I put this on D/L earlier and the main (?) file of 2.7ish GB has already downloaded, its halfway downloading an 10.5GB "update file", but after the small file downloaded it started a 15GB "application data" file ???

How big is the game meant to be and when can I actually play the game :|

The main game is about 14.7GB all the patches (which include about 15 locations and 30 dlc cars) at up to about 10.5GB.

I hope the ps+ edition is a huge success that get many people to upgrade to full game and Sony to announce second season pass. this is probably the only game that I kinda didn't want a sequel but just let them continue making season pass adding more cars and tracks.

It made me a believer for sure. I'm upgrading to the full game asap now

meppi

Oh lord, I can't STAND this driving model.

Go into Time Trials, choose a car you like (I prefer a good Ferrari), then choose a track that laps and keep driving till you know it and start taking a bit more risks without wiping out.
Once it clicks, the game is brilliant, same as the way the cars handle.

Also don't be afraid to use the handbrake. Not just around hairpins, but around quite a lot of the corners.
Treat it more like Daytona USA and less like Project Cars. ;)

Malcolm9

Anyone who is finding the AI difficult just play single races instead of the Tours, that way you can change the difficulty level and enjoy it more whilst learning the tracks.

If you don't want the AI just stick some decent music on and play Time Trial with the Ghost Car set to "0" visibility, and just go for it.

chrislowe

stupid question maybe, but why is Driveclub considered to be a arcaderacer, and Gran Turismo / Forza considered to be "sim" ?

They seem to behave more or less the same to me.

Putty

So whats the general mood and feeling on the game with the new PS+ users? For those who've upgraded to the full game, remember we have a thread dedicated GAF DC users with whom you'll get the best experience with. Challenges/some of the best times on the planet etc etc.

I can't find it but Nib or someone will dig it out. MUST get back on ti it, but having been playing W3 and now straight into Batman AND with PCars i think it might be some time 8)

Anarion07

Hahaha, nice one. I envy you. Last night i spent at least 1.5 hour trying to beat this challenge.

One thing i think it's important to note is that i can't stand using anything that's not the bumper camera. The game just feels so slow....

Have you tried Hyper cars?

So whats the general mood and feeling on the game with the new PS+ users? For those who've upgraded to the full game, remember we have a thread dedicated GAF DC users with whom you'll get the best experience with. Challenges/some of the best times on the planet etc etc.

I can't find it but Nib or someone will dig it out. MUST get back on ti it, but having been playing W3 and now straight into Batman AND with PCars i think it might be some time 8)
I assume you just mean the OT, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913277

The scotland track, at night, in rain, in the audio v10 super car, now that is a sense of speed. There is one straight away that had the most sense of speed I've experienced in a racer in a long time. Intense hydro plane action

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Been downloading for 12 hours now. Says I have 15 hours to go. Crazy.
Something is going on, the other day it took me 2 hours to download the arkham Knight update before I could play( rebooting my Internet was what got it done) but I then decided to upgrade my HDD to 2TB and I deleted everything but the P.T demo and backed it up.
It took me hour to redownload everything, including installing discs and updates, and all DLC and updates for DriveClub.
There definitely an inconsistency with speed.

Lulu23

I got all the stars from the tour events available in the PS+ Edition pretty easily. Some where a tiny bit of a challenge, which made it really fun. Just ordered the full version from Amazon.de for 29€ new, looking forward to it.

I really like the star system when playing the tour events, and I like that the stars are somtimes given out for little objectives during races where you can compete with friends.

Even though this was one of my most anticipated titles going into my PS4 purchase, I held off actually buying the game due to reviews and my second-guessing if I would like the handling. I can honestly say now I'm sorry I ever doubted the game. It's so great - gorgeous, fun, and, as it looks like, full of content. I'm definitely going to upgrade. Kudos.

Top Bottom