• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
To be clear: Upgrading the PS+ edition is the same as buying the regular edition, right? It's the exact same content, you can keep it even if you stop subscribing to PS+, etc? There's no downside, it's simply cheaper?

Lulu23

How the hell do you drift? The game doesn't do a great job of explaining the mechanic imo.

I had problems with that at first, too. Just check the optional to see which button is the handbrak. Brake before going into a corner, steering into the direction the track is going until you car starts to break out. Then try to balance.

But you're right. Some on-screen instructions with button prompts for the first drift event would have been nice.

nib95

Banned
How the hell do you drift? The game doesn't do a great job of explaining the mechanic imo.

Don't think the game explains much at all lol. It's very trial, error and practise orientated. For drifting, essentially hold hand brake to aggressively snap in to turns, but immediately counter steer the opposite direction as you do, and use throttle control to maintain the Drift. The faster your Drift through a corner, the more points you'll rack up. Road positioning on Drift entry makes a big difference too. For corners that are particularly sharp, and that you come in to especially fast, you may have to brake a touch, or lift of the throttle to slow down first, before hand braking for the Drift.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So today, after months of neglect, i got back to DC and i spend two hours with Project cars for the first time. Damn they streamlined / optimized DC a lot. So gud.

One thing i have to say, DC on a controller gives me a lot, and i mean a LOT, more feel and control of the car then Project Cars. PC is just trash with a controller, sadly i have no wheel.

Now i want Evo to make a sim racer.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

Drifting is a controlled loss of traction. Some cars have a high "traction loss" threshold than others (see the drifting stat). For every car, turning then holding the ebrake (Circle) would make it lose traction. It's pretty much the same in every racing game.

e.g The Bac Mono and LaFerrari have a low drift score which makes it hard to spin out even in the rain (Video of me and my club showing no remorse to PS+ racers)

Other cars like the Hennessey Venom GT will slip and slide even on dry asphalt.. It's possible to drive these cars will without drifting, but it requires careful control of your throttle.

DrkSage

I switched the e-brake from O to X since it feels more comfortable.

So basically what I do is right before entering a turn I brake(L2), turn in the direction of the curve and press [ ](down shift) and X(e-brake) all at the same time and then alternate between gas and brakes.

Fbh

After spending more time with the game, I'm really liking it, and it's rare for me to actually like car games.

I can see why some people might have issues with it though. It seems to be a weird blend of Sim with Arcade racing, and one that might not please fans of either of those styles. Sim fanatics might want more realism and cars (i've heard the car selection is mostly Euro centric), and aracade fans might be hoping for a more over the top experience where you never stop accelerating and can take curves with crazy drifts at full speed. Neither of them will find exactly the experience they are hoping for here.

But personally I'm loving the combination.

GodofWine

GAF clan "Fast and Old" had two recent openings. If any newbs who are upgrading to full game want to jump right up to club level 36, pm me.

Requirements, be slightly fast...or aspire to be :) , and be slightly old..or aspire to be.

I have gold (or is it platinum? ) on everything in the main career except the drifting challenges. I really need to get into this again and work my way through, but it's hard getting the hang of it. Not surprised many new players are finding it hard.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I switched the e-brake from O to X since it feels more comfortable.

So basically what I do is right before entering a turn I brake(L2), turn in the direction of the curve and press [ ](down shift) and X(e-brake) all at the same time and then alternate between gas and brakes.

That's how I drive :D

Gestault

One thing i have to say, DC on a controller gives me a lot, and i mean a LOT, more feel and control of the car then Project Cars. PC is just trash with a controller, sadly i have no wheel.

This definitely isn't just you. The controller implementation on Project Cars introduces some problems, even after some tweaking to the settings. Driveclub was basically built around a controller (even though it works nicely enough with wheel) so you don't get the feeling that your inputs are being translated from Dutch to Mandarin and back again with the way the cars handle.

Bold One

After spending more time with the game, I'm really liking it, and it's rare for me to actually like car games.

I can see why some people might have issues with it though. It seems to be a weird blend of Sim with Arcade racing, and one that might not please fans of either of those styles. Sim fanatics might want more realism and cars (i've heard the car selection is mostly Euro centric), and aracade fans might be hoping for a more over the top experience where you never stop accelerating and can take curves with crazy drifts at full speed. Neither of them will find exactly the experience they are hoping for here.

But personally I'm loving the combination.

should have picked one or the other, instead they wound up pissing both parties off

DrkSage

should have picked one or the other, instead they wound up pissing both parties off

I wonder what would a wangan midnight or Initial D game by evo would look like.

giphy.gif

Melchiah

Hmm.
I don't think I rank the countries per se.
I love some of the Scottish tracks and with afternoon lighting with light clouds sometimes the shifting light breaking through the clouds is incredibly accurate in terms of colour and quality for the north of the UK.
I like the Black Hills track loads as well.
I absolutely love one of the Canadian tracks in the wet. The one that snakes up a hill side, can't remember the name for the life of me.
I also love some of the point to points in India and Chile, and with the right weather and time settingsettings they to can look breathtaking.
A couple of the Norway tacks look really good at night what with the Aurora Borealis and the lights on the ferry and the town.
Racing past the blossom in Japan and over the bridges is thrilling too.
I don't think I can easily separate the countries to rank them. They all have great tracks to me.

Japan, Canada and India are the most pleasing areas to my eyes, and I think they also offer the most variety. I also love the wider tracks in Japan, not to mention how colorful they are. That's not to say, that the other regions would be bad, I just play them less.

Hello guys sorry for jumping in.

How is it? Are you guys enjoying Driveclub PS Plus Edition so far? Or immediately uninstall after playing for an hour? &#128514;

You can say I am a Driveclub veteran (in terms of...I preorder, get day one version with bonus cars, get the season pass, pissed off about the MP and challenges around day one, monitoring driveclub updates since day one, unlock all cars, now level 60, getting 100% all stars on Driveclub main tour, DLC tour and Startline tour, 100% trophy completion, Platinumed the game, still playing DC even there is a new game, playing with a controller) but I am no expert, i never managed to get around top 10 position on any leaderboard &#128513;

===

Dear Rushy (or anybody who Evolution Studios staff here) IMO giving users with Startline tour is not a good idea since IIRC it has no Hot hatch class races.

For the gamers, In order to learning Driveclub game you need to start with slow cars (which is, hot hatch cars). Driveclub is some sort between Gran Turismo and NFS. Arcade racing with simulation elements.

For you guys Driveclub PS Plus edition users, I recommend you to create a custom race (single race or time trial is fine) and start with hot hatch car with Tamil Nadu circuit with less turns. See if you can push yourself to get the fastest laptime.

If you think you already mastered the car and track, try a car with higher class (Sports and above) and more complex track and try push yourself.

When you using the Super or Hyper class, you should be careful to control the gas. Many people complained the fast cars always spinning out and it is not "hyper" as it seems. They just not controlling the car properly. In track turning you may need to push gas button lightly while braking if necessary. This is valid for all class.

It is okay for getting bad laptimes on the first lap. Slowly you will getting a better lap times when you pushed it.

Driveclub learning curve is really simple. If you able to do what I said above, you will enjoy Driveclub. And I strongly recommends you to upgrade to full game and buy the Season Pass.

Dont jump straight to Multiplayer. You will be surprised &#128514;&#128514; I prefer to play with Challenges. It is the best place to grinding for Fame points. But MP is not something bad, when I play MP I prefer to go with Time trial race or team race.

FYI for full game users, I already seeing "Playstation Plus Edition" races inside MP event Browser.

Anyway I hope you all enjoy Driveclub. It is free for plus users, which is a great deal. See you on the track, when the Private Lobby features is live &#128514;

Sorry for bad English.

But your only saying that because you're bad at it, surely. You admitted you are a few posts back.

I'm so glad that this is less arcade than NFS. I'm also glad it's not a dull upgradeathon like Forza. It's a shame about the botched launch because the racing genre needed a shot in the arm.

To be fair, the balance and approach between all these games is different. Just because someone thinks one of them is a miss doesn't mean categorically they're saying all of them would.

To be even fairer the post he's responding to suggests that there shouldn't be games in the middle ground because developers should choose to please either arcade players or sim players.
Which is a false argument anyway as there many people who actually like these games which don't fall entirely at either end of the spectrum.

autoduelist

Put an hour or so into DC last night, kept replaying the first track. The driving mechanics finally clicked and I'm starting to get good. Paying more attention to the flags (green no break, yellow slow down a bit, red is hairpin) helped a ton, but also just getting a sense of the speed/drifting/etc.

Digging it. Usually play stuff like NFS, Blur, Split/second so wasn't sure if this would be an issue since it's not nearly as 'arcade'... but I'm getting there. Almost certainly will pick it up at some point when budget allows.

Am I missing something, do I need to download the "try free demo" on the ps+ driveclub bit?

Or is there a different thing on the store?

Also if it is the demo, can I earn trophies on it?

OccamsLightsaber

Am I missing something, do I need to download the "try free demo" on the ps+ driveclub bit?

Or is there a different thing on the store?

Also if it is the demo, can I earn trophies on it?

Instead of making a category for special games like DC, they filled it under demos. You'll still earn trophies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dear Rushy (or anybody who Evolution Studios staff here) IMO giving users with Startline tour is not a good idea since IIRC it has no Hot hatch class races.

It does have a couple Hot Hatch races, though they are pretty rough in terms of the 3-star requirements and often filled with insane weather conditions amidst some brutal corners(still can't nail the Mini time trial). So many of the other events are just crazy difficult I have found for us newcomers to dive into. I have 3-starred a few of them, but many others feel impenetrable not coming close to nailing even a single star even with multiple attempts.

I am constantly trying to justify pulling the trigger on the full purchase as I do like the game, but I also just don't want to play it without a proper wheel as this is the sort of game I am not finding that interesting with a controller. Not really liking the Thrustmaster options either($100 wheel has no force feedback, and the $400+ force feedback Pro wheel is fucking insanity).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Thanks for that, don't know why they didn't just put it in the ps+ section.

Because they don't intend to remove it after a month?

Sony have said they're treating the game like a service so expect to hear about new DLC for 2016 (and beyond). I wouldn't discount a legitimate Motorstorm DLC either.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Have you tried Hyper cars?

Yes, i'm referring to the difference of feel between the bumper cam and the outside camera. Not the game in general.

I always play using the bumper one, and when i change to the outside camera the game seems to lose at least half the speed.

The bumper camera sense of speed it's just AMAZING!

Footos22

Drifting is a controlled loss of traction. Some cars have a high "traction loss" threshold than others (see the drifting stat). For every car, turning then holding the ebrake (Circle) would make it lose traction. It's pretty much the same in every racing game.

e.g The Bac Mono and LaFerrari have a low drift score which makes it hard to spin out even in the rain (Video of me and my club showing no remorse to PS+ racers)

Other cars like the Hennessey Venom GT will slip and slide even on dry asphalt.. It's possible to drive these cars will without drifting, but it requires careful control of your throttle.

Man and I thought I was decent at this game.

*bows*

I tried the PSN demo yesterday and I don't think I could've been more disappointed.

The vehicle dynamics were far more simplistic and dumbed down than I thought they would be.

The game reminded me a lot of Ridge Racer Type 4.

No thanks.

Shifty1897

I hate this game. Not because I don't think it's great, it is. But my god, it's too difficult. If the "Starting Line" tour is kicking my butt, there's no way I'll see even a tenth of the game has got to offer, especially if everything is locked behind these star level requirements. You can say I'm not good at racing games (I know) but there should be some kind of difficulty setting/curve for people who mostly play JRPGs.

If I practice enough I can get top three on a track as long as the weather's clear. Once the ground gets wet, your super powered race cars slide all over the damn place once you start going faster that 40 mph. AI seems to go just as fast whatever the weather is.

23qwerty

I hate this game. Not because I don't think it's great, it is. But my god, it's too difficult. If the "Starting Line" tour is kicking my butt, there's no way I'll see even a tenth of the game has got to offer, especially if everything is locked behind these star level requirements. You can say I'm not good at racing games (I know) but there should be some kind of difficulty setting/curve for people who mostly play JRPGs.

Someone said there's supposed to be a difficulty slider added soon I think.

desu

If I practice enough I can get top three on a track as long as the weather's clear. Once the ground gets wet, your super powered race cars slide all over the damn place once you start going faster that 40 mph. AI seems to go just as fast whatever the weather is.

I actually only have the full game, but is there no other tour for the PSN+ version besides the Startline tour? The base game starts out pretty easily with hot hatch class racers. The overall progression in the main games tour is a lot more natural while Startline is a mix of DLC races.

Shifty1897

Someone said there's supposed to be a difficulty slider added soon I think.

If that's true then I will totally buy it. I'm having a blast when I'm not in dead last place.

And those graphics, I spend just as much time in photo mode as I do playing the game!

Bold One

But your only saying that because you're bad at it, surely. You admitted you are a few posts back.

I'm so glad that this is less arcade than NFS. I'm also glad it's not a dull upgradeathon like Forza. It's a shame about the botched launch because the racing genre needed a shot in the arm.

Oh yea, I am bad at this game, otherwise I wouldn't have admitted it, I am bad at most racing games, this game while not bad, it seems to linger between the two camps and pleases neither.

if youre into arcadey racers, the constant penalties will piss you off,

if you like sims, the lack of collision and damage influence on engine will grate

This demo is making me want to buy the game but also not to buy the game. These 8 lap races in the rain are a pain in the ass. Just not fun. Screw up once and say goodbye to placing in the top 3. I also feel like being thrown into a hyper call from the get go isn't really doing them justice. There just isn't enough time to get accustomed to the cars so you are constantly restarting the same event until you get the hang of them (when going for place in top 3 awards). They could have implemented a rewind feature. They could just have it reduce points or lock one of the stars behind doing a no rewind run.

You can change the AI difficulty in Single Event mode. Just not in the tours--at least not yet. You may want to set up some races in Single Event with easy AI before you jump into the Startline tour.

The main tour in the full game ramps up the difficulty at a much more gradual rate. Startline seems more uneven and generally more difficult. Makes sense since many of the events are from DLC, and purchasers of DLC like that are usually more familiar with the game. They should consider creating a second beginners tour for the PS+ edition to help introduce people to the game mechanics without throwing them in the deep end.

Edit: this post is more for Shifty.

This demo is making me want to buy the game but also not to buy the game. These 8 lap races in the rain are a pain in the ass. Just not fun. Screw up once and say goodbye to placing in the top 3. I also feel like being thrown into a hyper call from the get go isn't really doing them justice. There just isn't enough time to get accustomed to the cars so you are constantly restarting the same event until you get the hang of them (when going for place in top 3 awards). They could have implemented a rewind feature. They could just have it reduce points or lock one of the stars behind doing a no rewind run.
Surely an 8 lap races versus the typical 3 lap gives you more chance of recovering?

You can spin out and still top the AI in one lap, you just need time to become a lot better at the game.

Melchiah

I actually only have the full game, but is there no other tour for the PSN+ version besides the Startline tour? The base game starts out pretty easily with hot hatch class racers. The overall progression in the main games tour is a lot more natural while Startline is a mix of DLC races.

I think it's a bad decision, if the base game's start tour was excluded from the PS+ edition. It teaches you the basics, and starts off with the more easy to control hot hatch class. It was pretty easy even for the beginners to rank up in the early races.

Surely an 8 lap races versus the typical 3 lap gives you more chance of recovering?

You can spin out and still top the AI in one lap, you just need time to become a lot better at the game.

Yeah but do I want to get better at specific car by replaying the same event over and over again? not really.

The front four cars in that 8 lap race pull ahead way too much if you make a mistake, it's near impossible to catch them.

I managed to get all the 45(?) star challenges. Now I'm just sitting here on my thumbs while I wait for the game to ship here. I guess I could go for platinum, but I always give up when I do that.

The front four cars in that 8 lap race pull ahead way too much if you make a mistake, it's near impossible to catch them.
I just gave it a bash, it wasn't the best of races I've ever had, and I finished 28 seconds clear of fourth. So that's a lot of time I could have lost on the last bend. I could have done about 50 donuts in that time.

It does have a couple Hot Hatch races, though they are pretty rough in terms of the 3-star requirements and often filled with insane weather conditions amidst some brutal corners(still can't nail the Mini time trial). So many of the other events are just crazy difficult I have found for us newcomers to dive into. I have 3-starred a few of them, but many others feel impenetrable not coming close to nailing even a single star even with multiple attempts.

I am constantly trying to justify pulling the trigger on the full purchase as I do like the game, but I also just don't want to play it without a proper wheel as this is the sort of game I am not finding that interesting with a controller. Not really liking the Thrustmaster options either($100 wheel has no force feedback, and the $400+ force feedback Pro wheel is fucking insanity).

Yes that is wrong, new Driveclub gamers are not supposed to be thrown into extreme conditions directly. At least they have chance to learn about Driveclub handling. Driveclub main tour is the best place but they did not include it on PS Plus Edition. Startline Tour is actually contains tours from various DLC and they are difficult for new gamers.

For the wheel I guess you need to wait for G29. It is $400 and futureproof, also compatible with PC. Not compatible for Xbox One, sadly.

I think it's a bad decision, if the base game's start tour was excluded from the PS+ edition. It teaches you the basics, and starts off with the more easy to control hot hatch class. It was pretty easy even for the beginners to rank up in the early races.

This is totally true. The original tour is much better at introducing you to the cars and tracks gradually in a way which allows you to grow your skills without making you feel like you've been thrown in at the deep end.

The only downside is it competely lacks rain and snowy weather.

Melchiah

This is totally true. The original tour is much better at introducing you to the cars and tracks gradually in a way which allows you to grow your skills without making you feel like you've been thrown in at the deep end.

The only downside is it competely lacks rain and snowy weather.

I think the lack of rain and snow is a good thing for the newcomers as well. ;) I'd say the downside is, that the main tour's beginning was pretty underwhelming introduction to the game.

Oh yea, I am bad at this game, otherwise I wouldn't have admitted it, I am bad at most racing games, this game while not bad, it seems to linger between the two camps and pleases neither.

if youre into arcadey racers, the constant penalties will piss you off,

if you like sims, the lack of collision and damage influence on engine will grate

You keep saying this like it's a generally accepted fact.
This is how you feel and is probably coloured quite heavily by the fact you aren't very good at it. You are, of course, entitled to feel this way about the game but your generalisation simply isn't true.

Top Bottom