• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

I since edited because I felt it was irrelevant.

But I do not recall specifically saying Dave Inc. (or was this an opportunity to credential wave?)

I rode Mission Space on Orange too bro, before they nerfed it.
;) Just being a smartass.

I was the first person to say it wasn't a sim racer so I thought you were tagging me. :p

And I said it because I've seen people post stuff about some arcade racers being "so real bro" because they have no idea how cars work. Well yes it was credential waving I guess.

CoG

I bought this game when it was $30 on Amazon a few months back. My only regret is that I got the disc version vs digital. I need to spend more time with it. They keep dumping content and I am no where near close to unlocking half of it.

9gpajGX.gif

Ah god these posts are killing me. Gotta do a rewatch soon.

Describing this game as being any meaningful level of simulation is simply wrong. Not being able to adjust the difficulty means the content is tailored to a lower skill rung, which means for many, the tour content is very easy. The way the AI cuts or boosts its ability to drive based on the player placement is annoying because it's so clear when it's happening, and it's a system you can game to more easily three-star events. The handling is simple to start with, with no ability to turn off its odd approximation of real-world driving assists (which is objectively a problem for drift events). The brakes are so effective, controlling your momentum is barely an issue, and you can cut in aggressively late in a turn, and even brake while turning in what should be a baffling way.

The game's handling model is a weak point, but it's something you can learn to account for, and knock out some truly impressive times with. Don't confuse "it's possible to learn game mechanics to improve performance" with a simulation approach.

Saying "any" meaningful level of simulation is simply wrong. Please do not confabulate your own emotional response to that of others. It is ridiculous. You are not the god and dictator of simulation based on experience.

Gestault

Saying "any" meaningful level of simulation is simply wrong. Please do not confabulate your own emotional response to that of others. It is ridiculous.

I'm saying in the range of driving videogames, using those words for Driveclub is not just meaningless, but counter-intuitive to the people who would normally use them.

Zach

I bet you wont uninstall it.

Quote me.

I hope you're right! I won't hold it against you if you're wrong, though. : )

LOL I felt the same way,
once I played it, and my friends where like WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was like okay this the only game I can truly impress someone with.

Believe me it's a keeper, and I am not evena racing fan either.

Now, I want to get the cheapest physical copy out there and buy that Ferrari pack
and recreate out run all over again.

Can we somehow upload outrun music to this game or something like that?
I'm going to hold it against this guy, though. :D

I'm saying in the range of driving videogames, using those words for Driveclub is not just meaningless, but counter-intuitive to the people who would normally use them.

Possibly in this concept I can accept your variation of words. But you still worded it very poorly. No racing game today has it down perfectly or would resemble anywhere near perfection.

DC still has environmental perception down better than any other racing game of note IMO. And that is a part of the whole deal with physics.

Possibly in this concept I can accept your variation of words. But you still worded it very poorly.

DC still has environmental perception down better than any other racing game of note IMO. And that is a part of the whole deal with physics.

But the way the cars move is more important, and it doesn't have that down in my opinion. You can do whatever you want with the environments, but if the actual physics aren't engaging then it's not going to keep someone playing.

GodofWine

Describing this game as being any meaningful level of simulation is simply wrong. Not being able to adjust the difficulty means the content is tailored to a lower skill rung, which means for many, the tour content is very easy. The way the AI cuts or boosts its ability to drive based on the player placement is annoying because it's so clear when it's happening, and it's a system you can game to more easily three-star events. The handling is simple to start with, with no ability to turn off its odd approximation of real-world driving assists (which is objectively a problem for drift events). The brakes are so effective, controlling your momentum is barely an issue, and you can cut in aggressively late in a turn, and even brake while turning in what should be a baffling way.

The game's handling model is a weak point, but it's something you can learn to account for, and knock out some truly impressive times with. Don't confuse "it's possible to learn game mechanics to improve performance" with a simulation approach.

I disagree highly with your opinion on the difficulty being set to "very easy", three stars on some of the hot laps or races is very hard and many people can't get them. The dlc packs are harder from the jump, as they have no "intro" style races.

I love the game, and disagree with must but not all of your post, you don't seem to care for it, and that's OK.

n0razi

Making an offline version of the PS+ edition. Shit they should have done months ago and was my first suggestion made when I heard about network problems being the reason for the delay.

to be fair... it seems like the online aspect is the main draw... so they prob dont want people to just try out the offline only and pass

nib95

Banned

It's not a Sim racer if that's what you're saying, but it's definitely among the most (if not the most) realistic handling simcade racers out there (compared to GRID, SHIFT, Project Gotham Racing etc). There's a much greater sense of weight to the vehicles, and traction simulation is more realistic than any of the aforementioned games. The handling is not as twitchy, or dramatic in terms of drifts and physics defying movements compared to these other simcade racers, though it's still certainly considerably more grounded than actual sim racers, which tend to be far more punishing, and much more realistic overall, naturally. Even then, the gulf between the handling in say Driveclub, compared to games like Need for Speed, Burnout, Ridge Racer and so on, is still astronomical, and why it's not referred to as an Arcade racer.

Gestault

I disagree highly with your opinion on the difficulty being set to "very easy", three stars on some of the hot laps or races is very hard and many people can't get them.

My point is that because there aren't settings for the tour challenges, it will be too easy for some, and too difficult for others. Unless the game is designed to be impossible to complete for most users, then it would make sense that the bar is set low.

But the way the cars move is more important, and it doesn't have that down in my opinion. You can do whatever you want with the environments, but if the actual physics aren't engaging then it's not going to keep someone playing.

And that is entirely your right and perception of the game and you should not be shunned for this.

nib95

Banned
My point is that because there aren't settings for the tour challenges, it will be too easy for some, and too difficult for others. Unless the game is designed to be impossible to complete for most users, then it would make sense that the bar is set low.

The tours tend to be balanced so that the latter stages of tours are more difficult than the earlier races. Hence why things like the Venom hot lap etc happen only towards the very end. In that sense the difficulty is essentially already pre set from easy to hard, depending on how far in to the game or tour you are.

If you set a challenge of a Tour objective you just completed, you can actually see the exact settings that were used for the race or challenge. Weather, time of day, AI difficulty etc. It is true that "Legend" AI is very rarely used, but you can very easily set up the exact same Tour race, only this time using Legendary AI, by way of single races and modes.

pixelbox

Saying "any" meaningful level of simulation is simply wrong. Please do not confabulate your own emotional response to that of others. It is ridiculous. You are not the god and dictator of simulation based on experience.

Funny thing is this game helped me with my driving in GT6 and made me appreciate Sims…So much for poor handling, I feel like it's intuitive.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was the first person to say it wasn't a sim racer so I thought you were tagging me. :p

And I said it because I've seen people post stuff about some arcade racers being "so real bro" because they have no idea how cars work. Well yes it was credential waving I guess.

Oh no worries, lol. You may have misunderstood (and I even mistyped it, which didn't help, that is why I removed it)... This game is far from sim. It is definitely Arcade with some extremely light Sim elements. Probably closest to Project Gotham with a tad more on Sim when it comes to over and under-steer and individual weightiness.

Pretty bad ass credential by the way. I live close to Kennedy Space Center, and love going to the launches.

hawk2025

I mean, it's true that, for someone that strictly correlates the length and thoroughness of the simulation to how good the handling is, Driveclub won't satisfy.

But it's not trying to, and that's worth keeping in mind.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Game is hard even on the early tracks. Lol

Pretty fun so far despite me not knowing how to drive. Gorgeous when the weather effects come in but the visibility makes it even harder for a bad driver like me lol.

Don't even know how you guys can handle corners on the fast cars. Props.

Wonder if this means it'll be even longer till the full game appears on PS+.

Was thinking of buying it on sale, but I'll just wait till it hits "free".

I. Can't seem to access the store just now it's just timing out. This diagram shows all the DLC including free stuff and how it was spaced out over the year.

CjxTM3U.png

Yeah, I know and I did mention it.

There is one piece of paid DLC that is not part of the season pass. It is a Ferrari that you can buy (for about $3) or play to unlock it in the game for free.

nib95

Banned
Game is hard even on the early tracks. Lol

Pretty fun so far despite me not knowing how to drive. Gorgeous when the weather effects come in but the visibility makes it even harder for a bad driver like me lol.

Don't even know how you guys can handle corners on the fast cars. Props.

Just feather the throttle a lot. Often simply lifting off the gas instead of braking can be just as useful is correcting during a turn, as braking can slow you down too much. Also, in the faster cars, especially hyper, often just slamming on the gas will cause you to spin out or lose traction, so go easy on it. Sometimes it's better to gradually apply the acceleration as you come out of a corner, but it all depends on how much of a camber or angle there is to the road, and how straight your wheels are on exit.

Just practise, you'll get used to it after a while, but the learning curve is fairly demanding with the faster vehicles, especially for those not used to racing games.

How do you know this? It probably took quite a bit of work considering how integrated the online challenges and system is.

you honestly believe it took them all this time to do that? i'd say nullpointer has it right, that they were waiting until they were at a point where they could roll out the online component effectively without it affecting the full-game-paid customers. which i think was a mistake.

But it would've stayed offline for six months. This way they should be able to roll out the online bits quickly.

Hopefully.

now this is true, but i'd argue that (a) they would have gotten significantly less criticism if they were able to release an offline version late last year, and (b) they probably would have recruited quite a bit of users to buy the game if they had the chance to demo it.

Oh no worries, lol. You may have misunderstood (and I even mistyped it, which didn't help, that is why I removed it)... This game is far from sim. It is definitely Arcade with some extremely light Sim elements. Probably closest to Project Gotham with a tad more on Sim when it comes to over and under-steer and individual weightiness.

Pretty bad ass credential by the way. I live close to Kennedy Space Center, and love going to the launches.

Hahahaha. They were referring to NASA as National Auto Sport Association not National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

LOL Oh man, definitely the automotive one and not the spaceship one. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I get that whenever the topic of racing comes up.

LOL Oh man, definitely the automotive one and not the spaceship one. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I get that whenever the topic of racing comes up.

I was curious so I looked up NASA in the context of racing. Thankfully I did that before posting lol, but it's a fairly easy honest mistake to make.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hahahaha. They were referring to NASA as National Auto Sport Association not National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

I know he was, lol, that is why I put it in spoiler. I forgot the wink face, lol.

I actually googled it before the comment, and thought I was being funny. :( /fail

Same. Don't even need to know the details.
My heart feels this but my brain knows that nothing is sacred in the big ole world of gaming. If anything this generation has seared into my brain folds, its that.

Unless they somehow fuck it up I'm in though, and dying for details on whats coming next.

Just bought the game & the season 1 pass and I love it already after 3-4 races. Now hearing about season 2? consider it day 1 purchase when that comes out.

Fantastic game.

Everyone keeps saying "Buy the season pass! Buy the season pass!" And while I can appreciate the enthusiasm and support for a game you love, I've had DC since day 1 and still am not convinced I'd ever need to get a season pass. Here's why.

1) All new dlc courses are free. That to me is the most important part of a racing game. New courses keep me coming back for more, or I get bored. Season passes do not give you new courses. Though that's a positive, it doesn't help sell season passes. Not to me anyway.

2) The dlc tours aren't a compelling enough reason to pay for content. They're just single races that you could theoretically set up yourself if you wanted, but constructed in a way to get you trophies. That doesn't excite me.

3) I don't have the urge to pay for cars. I realize this is where I diverge completely off the path from most racing enthusiasts, but I don't care about cars. Love racing games, don't care about cars. I know, that's kind of weird.

Now of course, your mileage may vary - especially on something like #3. But even so I have enough cars in my roster that I feel like I can compete with the best of them. If you want new cars and new tours, its probably a good deal, I'm just saying its not absolutely vital to get enjoyment out of this game.

Yaaaaay! I'm excited to try it. Might give it an extra week or so to help with server load.

Now we can stop bitching about it not coming out...and people can stop bitching about the bitchers!

Top Bottom