• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Hugstable

Banned
I was actually able to download it yesterday. It's not for me. It's beautiful, buts it's not arcadey enough.

I feel myself that the game is more of a arcade/sim hybrid, in that it's arcade through it's framework in how you get cars and there is no cash, purchasing cars, or extra upgrades. But the way the handling of the cars are tends to lend itself more towards sim style than the usual crazy arcade handling.

Armaly

I've been playing the PS+ version since yesterday. The physics feel very weird to me. I guess it'll take another 5-10 hours for me to get used to them. What's the point of obtaining cars if each mission gives me a set car to use?

I've been playing the PS+ version since yesterday. The physics feel very weird to me. I guess it'll take another 5-10 hours for me to get used to them. What's the point of obtaining cars if each mission gives me a set car to use?
I just can't get the turning down.

ajcacio

Banned

Many races and tours give you a choice of cars and also if you just want to set up your own race/time trials and pick whatever car you want.

Goldrusher

lolkiuqe.gif

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So how long will the DC ps-plus edition be up for? I doubt after all this it'll only be up for a month, right?

I'm pretty sure it was always meant to be permanently available as it's basically an extended demo.

I feel myself that the game is more of a arcade/sim hybrid, in that it's arcade through it's framework in how you get cars and there is no cash, purchasing cars, or extra upgrades. But the way the handling of the cars are tends to lend itself more towards sim style than the usual crazy arcade handling.

The physics model is in no way sim-based. At all.

I bought the game a few days ago and holyyyy shittttt game was absolutely worth it.

I recommend anyone who likes the PS+ version to buy the game in full for all the content. 100% worth it.

Yup, it's the typical thing of 5 simulated points (each wheel and the car body). There's definitely no simulation of internals because every car works flawlessly and can't have running gear damage, as well as every gear change being perfect. It's definitely nowhere near as much of a challenge as I had hoped.

Yup, it's the typical thing of 5 simulated points (each wheel and the car body). There's definitely no simulation of internals because every car works flawlessly and can't have running gear damage, as well as every gear change being perfect. It's definitely nowhere near as much of a challenge as I had hoped.

And even then they didn't give a shit about physics, just "is wheel on ground? Yes. Okay grip"

Case in point. Full lock turn at high speed, stomp on the brakes, car turns faster and slows down as fast as normal. It's the opposite of what happens in real life but whatever.

You guys new to the game that are having problems - are you utilizing the roadside flags? They tell you how sharp the next turn will be.

Green, fairly easy turn - you may need to brake slightly
Yellow, sharper turn - prepare to brake
Red flag. sharpest turn - brake EARLY

The key to all of this is to brake early. You never want to hit that brake once you've entered that turn. Do it BEFORE. Then accelerate out of the turn.

Omni

Oh hey, I got my PS4 a few days ago.

Didn't pick this game up. But I'm interested if only for the visuals

You guys new to the game that are having problems - are you utilizing the roadside flags? They tell you how sharp the next turn will be.

Green, fairly easy turn - you may need to brake slightly
Yellow, sharper turn - prepare to brake
Red flag. sharpest turn - brake EARLY

The key to all of this is to brake early. You never want to hit that brake once you've entered that turn. Do it BEFORE. Then accelerate out of the turn.

The flags lie sometimes and are very inconsistent. I've seen a lot of yellow flags that can be taken flat out while the next green requires braking. Add to that, sometimes the flags will start way before the turn at a braking zone and sometimes they'll start after where you should be turning in.

As someone who just picked it up, they're only useful as reminders for where you are in the track, not for learning how fast to take a turn, i.e., Oh I know this left-hand yellow, I need to brake here and aim there for the apex.

Also braking during the turn is the best sometimes, because lol physics.

Oh whatever, I just don't care for the game no need for me to shit on it. Other people seem to love it.

hawk2025

And even then they didn't give a shit about physics, just "is wheel on ground? Yes. Okay grip"

Case in point. Full lock turn at high speed, stomp on the brakes, car turns faster and slows down as fast as normal. It's the opposite of what happens in real life but whatever.

Nope, not true at all.

The flags lie sometimes and are very inconsistent. I've seen a lot of yellow flags that can be taken flat out while the next green requires braking. Add to that, sometimes the flags will start way before the turn at a braking zone and sometimes they'll start after where you should be turning in.

As someone who just picked it up, they're only useful as reminders for where you are in the track, not for learning how fast to take a turn, i.e., Oh I know this left-hand yellow, I need to brake here and aim there for the apex.

Also braking during the turn is the best sometimes, because lol physics.

Oh whatever, I just don't care for the game no need for me to shit on it. Other people seem to love it.

Nope, the flags do not "lie", but it varies by car for obvious reasons. They are extremely useful. And no, braking during the turn is NEVER the best.

There's no problem with shitting on the game, but you are simply not posting correct information.

Noobcraft

Braking into the corners is fine (or even preferred) in Driveclub. Cars have ridiculously good brakes and there isn't any wheel lock because every car has ABS so there is zero penalty for braking late as long as you can hold the line you want.

And no, braking during the turn is NEVER the best.

It really is. Not always, but definitely not never. If I drive it like a proper sim and brake early then accelerate out, the AI will always fly past me. The proper way to stay ahead in a racer as arcadey as this is to turn while braking because everything seemingly has ABS.

hawk2025

It really is. Not always, but definitely not never. If I drive it like a proper sim and brake early then accelerate out, the AI will always fly past me.

Wrong

The proper way to stay ahead in a racer as arcadey as this is to turn while braking because everything seemingly has ABS.

Of course the game is not punishing enough to never let you brake while turning -- in fact, all of the drift mechanics revolve around that -- but no, it's not the proper way to stay ahead in this game.

Go to youtube and look at world record hot laps. Look at their braking points. You'll often see brake lights, heavy deceleration and turning all the way up to the apex at which point they'll get back on the gas. That's what I'm talking about. Real cars cannot do that, on a track at least 90% of braking is done in a straight line.

I tried a sim approach to the racing line at first but it failed miserably. When I started hitting the brakes at the same time as turn-in my lap times shot down fast.

And while you're watching these videos, watch at which point turn flags start showing up on the side of the road. Sometimes they're right at the turn, sometimes they're a quarter mile before.
Edit: Aaaahh, I see, I assumed you guys were talking about *not braking at all* before the turn, and not *braking completely* before starting the turn. I felt like I was taking crazy pills for a second. Phew, ok. Carry on!

thelastword

Banned
Playstation Blog said:
We have to take this precaution because Driveclub connectivity is demanding for a multiplayer game, with countless ever-growing social connections across clubs, challenges, multiplayer, and hundreds of thousands of dynamic leaderboards and activity feeds.
The social multiplayer aspect of this game is very neat and probably the most ambitious I've seen for a racer, but I wonder if initially they had plans to expand social multiplayer even further in this game, that is, before the server setbacks? It's definitely a wakeup call for Sony in that regard and I hope the issues that they faced does not make them too conservative in their plans and approach for the next game. The leaderboards, clubs and multiplayer in driveclub is really excellent stuff.

Nope, not true at all.

Nope, the flags do not "lie", but it varies by car for obvious reasons. They are extremely useful. And no, braking during the turn is NEVER the best.

There's no problem with shitting on the game, but you are simply not posting correct information.

Go to youtube and look at world record hot laps. Look at their braking points. You'll often see brake lights, heavy deceleration and turning all the way up to the apex at which point they'll get back on the gas. That's what I'm talking about. Real cars cannot do that, on a track at least 90% of braking is done in a straight line.

I tried a sim approach to the racing line at first but it failed miserably. When I started hitting the brakes at the same time as turn-in my lap times shot down fast.

And while you're watching these videos, watch at which point turn flags start showing up on the side of the road. Sometimes they're right at the turn, sometimes they're a quarter mile before.

Hugstable

Banned

I don't mean it's a straight up sim, I just don't know what else to classify it as cause I consider Arcade racers to be stuff like NFS: Underground and Daytona USA handling, which this game doesn't feel like. What is the correct term to use for games like this?

Wrong

Of course the game is not punishing enough to never let you brake while turning -- in fact, all of the drift mechanics revolve around that -- but no, it's not the proper way to stay ahead in this game.

How is it wrong at all? Braking properly in the game makes you slower because the brakes are too effective. I know for a fact that I have to change my driving strategy when I play the game, but apparently it's just an illusion because you seem to think otherwise.

It really is. Not always, but definitely not never. If I drive it like a proper sim and brake early then accelerate out, the AI will always fly past me. The proper way to stay ahead in a racer as arcadey as this is to turn while braking because everything seemingly has ABS.
Sigh.

Ok, you're right. You guys having trouble progressing are right and the people with well over 100 hours of experience with the driving model are way off base.

Everyone else, don't listen to these guys. Brake early and you'll find success as you begin to learn the courses and figure out how every turn is different, every car is different, and adjustments can be made to maximize your best lap times.

Sigh.

Ok, you're right. You guys having trouble progressing are right and the people with well over 100 hours of experience with the driving model are way off base.

Everyone else, don't listen to these guys. Brake early and you'll find success as you begin to learn the courses and figure out how every turn is different, every car is different, and adjustments can be made to maximize your best lap times.

I'm not someone who has trouble progressing. I've completed the entirety of the base game's tours with full stars and around 80% of each DLC one. The game is far too easy for me and the main trouble is because of how arcadey it is. That was the only argument here, nothing more.

I'm one of the people who has "well over 100 hours" of experience and that's why I know how weird the turning physics are. But sure, just dismiss us because we're supposedly struggling, that's fine too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sigh.

As soon as I started to learn the car and courses, it got better and better.

Noobcraft

Sigh.

Beat my time around Loch Dulch Reverse (Rain) with the Pagani Huayra and I'll say you're right :) I haven't played for a while but I was the fastest in the Huayra at one point.

Yep. As soon as I started to learn the car and courses, it got better and better.

People want insta-wins Ariel Atom versus Fiat races it seems. And seeing a lot of these comments, where people try to use "sim" as an example, you question even if they played those sim games proper as well.

? I'm a holder of a NASA competition license. I know what "sim" means.

DLC is compatible with this, right? If so, get all the free cars. And maybe I can use all you new GAFers who are new to the game but not great yet at it to send challenges and get the Unbeatable trophy. Should have got it ages ago but never did, although we've had a few patches since then so it might work now.

So, now for the app. When's that coming out?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
? I'm a holder of a NASA competition license. I know what "sim" means.

I since edited because I felt it was irrelevant. (Must have just quoted me before I finished edit)

But I do not recall specifically saying Dave Inc. (or was this an opportunity to credential wave?)

I rode Mission Space on Orange too bro, before they nerfed it.
;) Just being a smartass.

Beat my time around Loch Dulch Reverse (Rain) with the Pagani Huayra and I'll say you're right :) I haven't played for a while but I was the fastest in the Huayra at one point.
Fair enough and I don't doubt that, I'm merely trying to teach people how to walk before they learn how to run. At higher levels you can indeed "cheat" the turns (for lack of a better term) but I honestly think its better to learn the basics before attempting that. And in the early going where the AI is pretty dumb, it'll be enough to win and they'll get used to how the different classes react to braking and turning as they progress to the harder stuff.

kazinova

There is a skill to learn in order to be fast in this game. It just has very little to do with what you'd have to do to be fast in real life. **Shrugs**

Source: autocrossing on the weekends.

There is a skill to learn in order to be fast in this game. It just has very little to do with what you'd have to do to be fast in real life. **Shrugs**

Source: autocrossing on the weekends.

Exactly. It's not like you can just hold the trigger and win, it's just that the tactics to win in Driveclub are entirely different to those of an actual sim or real life, because it's so arcadey.

Gestault

Describing this game as being any meaningful level of simulation is simply wrong. Not being able to adjust the difficulty means the content is tailored to a lower skill rung, which means for many, the tour content is very easy. The way the AI cuts or boosts its ability to drive based on the player placement is annoying because it's so clear when it's happening, and it's a system you can game to more easily three-star events. The handling is simple to start with, with no ability to turn off its odd approximation of real-world driving assists (which is objectively a problem for drift events). The brakes are so effective, controlling your momentum is barely an issue, and you can cut in aggressively late in a turn, and even brake while turning in what should be a baffling way.

The game's handling model is a weak point, but it's something you can learn to account for, and knock out some truly impressive times with. Don't confuse "it's possible to learn game mechanics to improve performance" with a simulation approach.

Top Bottom