• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Adaptation of Fighting Fantasy Announced

batbeg

Man, I will buy the fuck out of this game.

...and probably play it with no sound if what we've heard is representative of the soundtrack (which, let's face it - it probably is).

batbeg said:
Man, I will buy the fuck out of this game.

...and probably play it with no sound if what we've heard is representative of the soundtrack (which, let's face it - it probably is).

More than ya might reckon actually! I don't recall if I remembered to post that interview or not, but with one of them among other bits they mention that as part of their optimizations to keep 60 FPS and whatnot, while there is a musical score to the game, it generally won't be featured amid the constant wandering and such.

batbeg

ElectricThunder said:
More than ya might reckon actually! I don't recall if I remembered to post that interview or not, but with one of them among other bits they mention that as part of their optimizations to keep 60 FPS and whatnot, while there is a musical score to the game, it generally won't be featured amid the constant wandering and such.

Haha, oh shit. Well... in a way, that's kind of better. I was thinking I'd much prefer a quiet approach, focusing on the atmosphere and sound effects, so if the game is largely quiet except for sound effects by default, I'm all good.

zigg

ElectricThunder said:
Also, I saw a blurb on a site I'm not sure I can mention where, limited time/amount/yaddayadda if you pre-order the game via Gamestop you also get a copy of the latest edition of the actual book.

Yeah, that's true. Aspyr sent me one to check out, I'd never seen it before. Pretty cool stuff :)

2rmxkao.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just got caught up on the new vids. Man, the graphics are pretty incredible! The 3D is smooth as can be, and the textures pretty high rez and quite artistically appealing!
The 2D enemy sprites are nicely detailed, but animate poorly. But that's really the only blemish I can see, so far! Really excited for this!

batbeg

ElectricThunder said:
Seems the game has now slipped a tad to a Nov 3 release date. Technically, this puts it aside from the October rush but...yeah.

Nice. I think I'm moving to the states the week after that, so I'll feel better for being able to buy it closer to its initial release.

Mejilan

However long it takes to get the game right, IMHO.
It's going to get destroyed in any event, this holiday season. Probably.

Mejilan said:
However long it takes to get the game right, IMHO.
It's going to get destroyed in any event, this holiday season. Probably.

I agree this is very likely to get lost in the shuffle. I can't help but wonder what people are thinking though to delay a handheld game from end of Oct, with this mad rush of a month, to a few days into November a bit before all goes crazy with Thanksgiving, then delay it yet again to right when the floodgates get opened for the most part. I mean, were it a digital download game on the PC or some such I could see them actually working on it right up to the wire as Borderlands and, moreso, Torchlight are wrangling---but I just don't get "this"!

But yeah, if the delay is somehow still going towards actual game improvement and not some Sisyphean shell game with timing then that's great by me.

Kard8p3

I really like the music in the walkthrough video at IGN. I didn't know a thing about this game till today but now I have another DS RPG to get.

Kard8p3

So did anyone pick this up today? I couldn't find it anywhere around my area but if someone else found it I'd like to hear impressions.

batbeg

Kard8p3 said:
So did anyone pick this up today? I couldn't find it anywhere around my area but if someone else found it I'd like to hear impressions.

?? Thought it doesn't come out for another month?

Kard8p3

batbeg said:
?? Thought it doesn't come out for another month?

Oh my mistake if that's true. I was on the IGN DS page and it said the game came out today.

Edit: For some reason they have it listed as coming out today on the DS page but when you click on it it tells you the release date is November 24.

Volcynika

So...this comes out this week?

Who's all getting it? I'm still undecided, but it sucks that even if I do get it, if I choose 2-day shipping with Amazon, holiday Thursday means I won't have it until Friday!

m3k

Spike said:
I actually own all these books!

The best one:

Ff3puffin.jpg

oh shit

i read it as final fantasy... then realised this is not what i wanted

then realised these were the books i fuckn loved when i was like 8...

http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/102/1021394p1.html

http://au.ds.ign.com/dor/objects/86...l_action_092509.html;jsessionid=7fm8cn56nq3vl

wishful thinking but itd be nice if they made it with the original text inside the cart... this looks alright though :lol first person rpg, FUCK YEAH!

Just waiting on Amazon to ship it. I choose to brave past the odd Nintendo Power review, just because. This and Might&Magic: Clash of Heroes will be my last DS games of 2009---likely not with any new DS games until a great deal later in 2010.

nli10

Good old SJ books.

Will wait for impressions, lest my teenage self be crushed.

I only ever owned the superior sourcery series, but completed all the FF books via the library. I always got bored of playing legit and mostly just read them for the story though - wonder if the game will have a 'keep finger in this page' option? :lol

Went to a really great talk from the Lead Artist on this game and it was really great. They worked their butts off on this title to juice every last polygon out of it. They even had to cut the lights into the rooms by hand using polygon cutting. This was certainly a labor of love from the art side of things to be sure.

jarosh

this got a 4/10 or something in nintendo power though i think. shame. still sorta looking forward to it. but that sounds like a really harsh score :/

It looks pretty damn awesome, way better than Orcs & Elves. I have been pining for a new first person dungeon crawler so I may bite but the lone review score jarosh mentioned is kind of off-putting.

jarosh

jaundicejuice said:
It looks pretty damn awesome, way better than Orcs & Elves. I have been pining for a new first person dungeon crawler so I may bite but the lone review score jarosh mentioned is kind of off-putting.
hey, orcs & elves was totally awesome though!

Oh, I'm not bagging on Orcs & Elves, I really enjoyed that game and really hope EA puts its sequel out on the DS as well. It's just that based off of what I have seen Fighting Fantasy looks like it has some higher production values, with more detailed and animated sprites as well as larger and more complex environments.

jarosh

jaundicejuice said:
Oh, I'm not bagging on Orcs & Elves, I really enjoyed that game and really hope EA puts its sequel out on the DS as well. It's just that based off of what I have seen Fighting Fantasy looks like it has some higher production values, with more detailed and animated sprites as well as larger and more complex environments.
right. exactly the reason why i was looking forward to it too. hope we'll get some more impressions and reviews soon.

The only other review is from 1up and the review itself is kinda bad, not very informative, and somehow the main complaint seems to be how it lacks the freedom of choice from the book, which makes me wonder if the reviewer even recalls the books. The simple fact you can walk freely reduces choices by half, but I guess he meant "moral" choices

I'm getting this, at the very least it will be as fun as Orc&Elves

Mejilan

Ordered this and the new DS Might & Magic game.
Hope to have both sometime this week.

Mejilan said:
Ordered this and the new DS Might & Magic game.
Hope to have both sometime this week.

This is me too!

Karebear: I've come to wonder what might've been if a proper community had been able to flourish along the PC version of Deathtrap Dungeon?....mods and the like.

I'm looking forward to impressions on this one. I really loved Deep Labyrinth up until the end when there were too many spells to keep up with.

Mejilan

That's basically how I look at it. It can't possibly be worse that Deep Labyrinth, and I beat both quests of that game!

Yes, Deep Labyrinth. So bad, yet oh so good. I think it reviewed pretty abysmally, so I'm not too concerned about low review scores on this one either.

Mejilan

I thought Quest 2 (the original cell phone game) was quite a bit better than the new, garish Quest 1 added to the DS adaptation.

Fighting Fantasy LOOKS so good though. I want it to be just as good.

Never played Quest 2, never realized there was one, or I wouldn't have quit so near the end.

If it has a lack of platypuses though, I'm all for it.

Mejilan

Like I said, Quest 2 was the original cell phone game, and drops the stupid garish art style and silliness. The gameplay is similar (less equipment though), but the tone is TOTALLY different. It's basically like two completely unrelated adventures running on the same engine.

Halfmunch

Went to several stores yesterday looking for this game, might have to order online. I can't wait to try it, I though orcs and elves was cool, but the freedom of movement in this game should make it even better.

Mejilan

Walked into 3 Gamestops and saw it on the shelves, but since my online order already shipped... :/

Yeah, I'm floored by the visuals. Even the spirte enemies/NPCs all facing one angle look nice.

I haven't had much of a chance to sink my teeth into the game yet, but the visuals exceeded my expectations.

I still think a grid/turn-based first-person RPG (like Orcs & Elves) is a better control scheme for the DS.

EDIT: The game itself, I'm still early in, but I'm not sure if it's a keeper. Early impressions say no (kinda lifeless, sometimes frustrating), but we shall see.

Top Bottom