• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports WRC detailed gameplay

Buggy Loop

Oh i like what i see. Dirt rally 3.0 basically but, i don't know if EA wants to portray that they're the good guys here, but the meat around the bone for WRC is much thicker than Dirt rally 2.0 vanilla (codemaster fleeced everyone with tons of DLCs for cars, stages, etc)

17 locations
200 rally stages
80 rally cars
18 car classes, from two wheels beginnings to modern hybrids
Revamp of the handling model, better tarmac (i hope!). Feedback from real rally drivers
High quality recordings of the real cars
Spring / summer / Autumn / winter for all 200 stages
Stage over 30 km with UE engine

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Absolutely floored by what they are doing here with the license on their first outting.

Legit could end up being the best racing game of the year and best rally game of all time.

Time to dust off the old wheel !

I’m after a decent looking rally game and this does look pretty fucking great. Just need a reasonably priced steering wheel for my PC with force feedback to go with it!

GHG

This looks really promising. I'm just waiting for the classic EA catch to all of this (especially given the price on Steam), but hope that never comes.

This could be a rally game for the ages.

Elysium44

Banned
The graphics look rough (especially that VW Golf on one of the replays), but everything else seems great. And I love the idea of various seasons for the same stages.

I'm probably gonna get this day 1, especially because of the lower price.

Yes the game itself is probably going to be quite good. The graphics are a major disappointment though for a next gen game. They really haven't moved on at all since the original Dirt Rally in 2015 judging by what we've seen so far.

Buggy Loop

I’m after a decent looking rally game and this does look pretty fucking great. Just need a reasonably priced steering wheel for my PC with force feedback to go with it!

Tons of new cheap direct drive contenders have entered the market since a few years btw. I'm personally waiting to finish my basement before i buy a rig but, it's gonna be between Moza & Simagic. Moza R5 bundle as entry level is hard to beat @ $499 with direct wheel 5Nm + pedals + wheel. I will go >9 Nm personally after testing on my friend's rig. Its the sweet spot for force feedback imo. (tried on Simagic Alpha mini which is benchmarked at ~13Nm even if the specs says 10Nm)

Yes the game itself is probably going to be quite good. The graphics are a major disappointment though for a next gen game. They really haven't moved on at all since the original Dirt Rally in 2015 judging by what we've seen so far.

Yea, it looks like Dirt Rally 2.0 basically

I just really hope they ramp up the tarmac handling and the physics overall. I'll take more accurate physics than eye candies. Or both, but seems like that's not a go.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I'm not a big Rally-head (if there even is such a thing) but I always enjoy racing games. I'm also not a graphicswhore and don't care for raw fidelity at all.

That being said: why does it look so static, lifeless and unexciting? I'm sure the handling model is best in class but from a pure visual standpoint it looks very underwhelming.

Buggy Loop

I'm not a big Rally-head (if there even is such a thing) but I always enjoy racing games. I'm also not a graphicswhore and don't care for raw fidelity at all.

That being said: why does it look so static, lifeless and unexciting? I'm sure the handling model is best in class but from a pure visual standpoint it looks very underwhelming.

Hopefully it means they have very demanding physics due to their handling revamp, it was fine in Dirt rally but also critiqued.

Simers on PC are playing iRacing & AC still to this day because of physics, not graphics, and they aren't lookers.

Hell the community is still updating and playing Richard Burns Rally, 19 years later.

So the question is did they go for handling fidelity rather than chasing the more arcadey racing games with pretty graphics like we see on consoles? Or they just have ok handling and they just dropped the ball on graphics because of PapEA 🤷‍♂️

To be seen.

Tommi84

I think this is the first when a wrc game officially allows to change the season for a stage? I'm not counting any mods for any of the games, obviously.

Count me in!

Liamario

Banned
Hopefully it means they have very demanding physics due to their handling revamp, it was fine in Dirt rally but also critiqued.

Simers on PC are playing iRacing & AC still to this day because of physics, not graphics, and they aren't lookers.

Hell the community is still updating and playing Richard Burns Rally, 19 years later.

So the question is did they go for handling fidelity rather than chasing the more arcadey racing games with pretty graphics like we see on consoles? Or they just have ok handling and they just dropped the ball on graphics because of PapEA 🤷‍♂️

To be seen.

The dynamic handling. Does this relate to the type of handling- is it adjusting itself with the driver skill level.

GHG

I'm really not concerned about the graphics in this case. What concerns me most is what the driving physics will be like and how it performs like on a wheel.

Those are the two things that will dictate how well this game does or not.

Senua

Looks really good. The car list is awesome and I can't wait to test the improved tarmac physics

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Absolutely floored by what they are doing here with the license on their first outting.

Legit could end up being the best racing game of the year and best rally game of all time.

Time to dust off the old wheel !
It looks good and I enjoyed the trailer for the authenticity they are adding, but unlike the original games (first 3-4 at least bac in the day) where there was a real sense of surface and car being one combined coherent cohesive visual, along with the car suspension movement undulation at the frequency change of the track, the game in UE5 continues to look fake IMHO, like really pretty cars tracking a flatter ribbon as a separate visual to the track rendering, completely undermining the grittiness of the tracks that look quite detailed but don't seem to influence the car in that way.

As a side issue, I also hate the EA branding on games, and feel like them changing the brand from Codemasters has killed any nostalgic enthusiasm for me to pick it up eventually, like I have with ones in more recent years to try.

Despite the rally events in GT7 still feeling a little too loose on the surface, a little too laggy on the traction and a little too floaty with wheels coming off the ground too easily, yet visually rallying in GT7 looks aesthetically superior IMO, so will probably just be sticking with that for a small rally fix, as this by comparison still doesn't look like AAA. Especially the section where there was 3 off-white tree/plant holders on the right of the road and they all looked unnaturally identical like lego, as though those the assets are just being thrown in A-AA style, without any artistic organic change to desterilize them and make them and the composition look uniquely organic.

Last edited:
It looks good and I enjoyed the trailer for the authenticity they are adding, but unlike the original games (first 3-4 at least bac in the day) where there was a real sense of surface and car being one combined coherent cohesive visual

Thats exactly what stood out to me. I dont mind the overall graphics but it looks like the car is on ice no matter what the surface...at least a bit more road degradation while sliding through sand or mud would be nice. The dust behind also looks like its coming out of the exaust pipe rather then just a spread of haze all over.

Last edited:

Karppuuna

They are saying that they import Dirt Rally 2.0 physics to unreal engine, then fine tune physics even more. So if they are telling the truth this is a rally sim.

This game official name seems to be just WRC, not EA Sports WRC.

Last edited:
They got me at 17 locations rest is cherry on the top
Although the graphics looks meh , the sheer variety and if it's a successor to dirt 2 this could be the goat of rally games

Ammogeddon

As a side issue, I also hate the EA branding on games, and feel like them changing the brand from Codemasters has killed any nostalgic enthusiasm for me to pick it up eventually, like I have with ones in more recent years to try.
Totally agree. It’s a little sad not seeing Codemasters’ name. They’re such a talented developer with a long history in motorsport games. Should’ve at least called it EA Codemasters.

I’m still keen to give it a go though.

Looking good with some pedigree behind the games again. The previous devs did some decent work and I played plenty of them over the years, but I haven't been this interested in a new WRC release since Sony & Evolution Studios had the license back on PS2

Kacho

Is it a simulation or more arcady? Because i'm all Simulation. Richard Burns Rally was awesome.
Sim. It’s an evolution of the Dirt Rally series so if you played that you know what to expect.

Might grab a DD wheel for this. Dirt Rally 2.0 was phenomenal with a crappy gear-based wheel. This looks deserving of an upgrade.

I will wait for impressions on this one because I still don't trust that they didn't dumb down the physics to appeal more to the casual crowd, specially now that it's under EA and with a big license. I hope I'm wrong and this is 3.0 at heart.

Liamario

Banned
I will wait for impressions on this one because I still don't trust that they didn't dumb down the physics to appeal more to the casual crowd, specially now that it's under EA and with a big license. I hope I'm wrong and this is 3.0 at heart.
My gut feeling is that the damage model has been gutted as well.

amigastar

They've mentioned they have real Rally Driver to help make it realistic. Now that can mean nothing but maybe it will be 3.0 at heart :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Killer8

I'm pretty excited for it. The graphics are underwhelming but considering the amount of content on offer it's forgivable.

Kruza

Watched the video presentation of WRC video game earlier this week and became amazed at what all is being included! I am certainly intrigued about a lot of what this latest WRC video game has to offer. But I have to admit I'm most eager to check out the long stages!

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
They mention 200 stages but I don't think they will all be unique. The older WRC games broke up the long stages into shorter ones and used that number to bolster the stages and I imaging this game does as well which is not lying but close to it.

mclaren777

I watched the whole thing in 4k at half speed and I'm really pleased with the image quality. Being a UE game, I was worried that TAA would ruin the visuals (eg, ACC) but this looked great!

Elysium44

Banned
They mention 200 stages but I don't think they will all be unique. The older WRC games broke up the long stages into shorter ones and used that number to bolster the stages and I imaging this game does as well which is not lying but close to it.

That appears to be correct.

What about stage design, though? Well, as we already highlighted, the game will use the Unreal Engine in order to create bigger and more intricate stages than before. EA and Codemasters even used real routes to create the stages for the game, with satellite images and terrain data further upping the detail. This results in stages of up to roughly 30 kilometers for the longest ones. In total, each location will feature 35 kilometers of unique track.

Buggy Loop

Sorry for the stupid question but is there hill climbing in it? That's all I need.

I think it was absent in Dirt rally 2, while the first one had it. It’s a licensing thing, but I doubt the WRC license will include hill climbing sadly.

amigastar

Just a question, i have Dirt 2.0 on Steam, is it a full blown sim or more arcadey, i wanna install it.
Edit: It looks like a Sim, gonna install it.

Last edited:
I loved DR1 and 2, but this does not look great for 2023. It looks worse than 2.0 in some regards and I see lots of performance issues here in a hand picked trailer. Physics look kind of buggy too.

Top Bottom