• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports WRC detailed gameplay

Killer8

This was a disappointment. The game looked fairly okay in the b-roll footage they'd been showing up till now, which I assume was taken from the replays. But actually seeing gameplay in motion is underwhelming. It's hard to explain but there's a sort of emptiness to the track side detail. I think it's down to the really shit grass/bushes LOD. You round a corner and see empty hills with trees stuck in them and then seconds later the grass detail decides to draw in:

fqhIgZW.png

CxKZ009.png

Just makes the game look extremely bland. The rain effect they're using is also terrible - like Resident Evil 4 pre-release or the GTA remaster levels of bad.

Frankly WRC Generations looked better than this and it's an even bigger step back visually from Dirt Rally 2.0 (*I am aware of the reasoning for switching engine - it's still disappointing).

Buggy Loop

Stupid EA feature description. Everyone knows triple monitor support for sim racing is 3 different feeds, not just a fucking ultrawide.
Doesn't concern me, but i can see that this doesn't help perceptions with the sim community when you did marketing with TRIPLE MONITOR.

This was a disappointment. The game looked fairly okay in the b-roll footage they'd been showing up till now, which I assume was taken from the replays. But actually seeing gameplay in motion is underwhelming. It's hard to explain but there's a sort of emptiness to the track side detail. I think it's down to the really shit grass/bushes LOD. You round a corner and see empty hills with trees stuck in them and then seconds later the grass detail decides to draw in:

fqhIgZW.png

CxKZ009.png

Just makes the game look extremely bland. The rain effect they're using is also terrible - like Resident Evil 4 pre-release or the GTA remaster levels of bad.

Frankly WRC Generations looked better than this and it's an even bigger step back visually from Dirt Rally 2.0 (*I am aware of the reasoning for switching engine - it's still disappointing).

I think it's the lack of proper shadowing that gives this sensation of emptiness. It fails to give a sense of depth. The last part of the gameplay video at night looks horrible. The headlights cast no shadows and it makes it look like you're inside a dome that illuminates the environments as you drive by.

I get that this game don't have a big budget but even then this is a massive disappointment visually.

drotahorror

I think it's the lack of proper shadowing that gives this sensation of emptiness. It fails to give a sense of depth. The last part of the gameplay video at night looks horrible. The headlights cast no shadows and it makes it look like you're inside a dome that illuminates the environments as you drive by.

I get that this game don't have a big budget but even then this is a massive disappointment visually.

You would think the change of engine would allow for more than a larger track. And a new engine shouldn't be 10 steps back from what you were doing before. The wetness of the different road types was really good looking in DR2.0 and it's almost non existent in EA WRC. Maybe it's because it only showed gravel/asphalt though, I don't think there was any dirt roads in the new video. I mostly remember the dirt/mud in DR2.0 looking really cool with all the puddles etc.

So that's 2 EA games that changed engines this year, UFC 5 (went to Frostbite) and now Dirt (Unreal 4?5..?). UFC 5 looks the same and is current gen only, and had the longest dev cycle of any EA UFC game (people were really expecting a big graphical leap and plenty of new animations, but it's UFC 4.5). WRC looks worse than DR2.0 and is current gen only, and I'd wager it had the longest dev cycle of any Dirt title.

Don't get me wrong, still super hype for WRC, it's my most wanted game easily this year but the graphics are lacking big time. Codemasters used to be the king, hell even Dirt 5 looks amazing in the right conditions. I was hype for UFC 5 but seeing it's just part 4 with blood and doctor stoppages I'm giving it a big pass.

Last edited:
You would think the change of engine would allow for more than a larger track. And a new engine shouldn't be 10 steps back from what you were doing before. The wetness of the different road types was really good looking in DR2.0 and it's almost non existent in EA WRC. Maybe it's because it only showed gravel/asphalt though, I don't think there was any dirt roads in the new video. I mostly remember the dirt/mud in DR2.0 looking really cool with all the puddles etc.

So that's 2 EA games that changed engines this year, UFC 5 (went to Frostbite) and now Dirt (Unreal 4?5..?). UFC 5 looks the same and is current gen only, and had the longest dev cycle of any EA UFC game (people were really expecting a big graphical leap and plenty of new animations, but it's UFC 4.5). WRC looks worse than DR2.0 and is current gen only, and I'd wager it had the longest dev cycle of any Dirt title.

Don't get me wrong, still super hype for WRC, it's my most wanted game easily this year but the graphics are lacking big time. Codemasters used to be the king, hell even Dirt 5 looks amazing in the right conditions. I was hype for UFC 5 but seeing it's just part 4 with blood and doctor stoppages I'm giving it a big pass.

Absolutely, the game can still be amazing, I'm just judging the visuals at this point. And the visuals are lacking big time IMO. As you said, it seems like not only visuals didn't improve, they somehow regressed. And that's sad.

Edder1

Poor lighting and material shaders are holding this game back visually. It's especially strange since it's on Unreal Engine. They're probably still using UE4 and haven't upgraded to new gen features. Real shame. The environmental detail is really nice though, a huge step up from Dirt Rally 2.0.

Killer8

PC footage from a preview build. The scene transitions in the replays cause some horrific pop-in.

The shadow under the car also doesn't draw in until it's pretty close to the camera, making it appear to look like it's floating.

Yet despite these issues, game looks better in this video than it did in the official gameplay reveal. Maybe some UE4 ini tweaks can sort it out.

amigastar

In anticipaton of the game i've installed Richard Burns Rally. Game still kicks my ass.
But i'm gonna get WRC for sure also.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

So apparently the stage degrades as you go multiple runs.

Also, this might as well be mountain climbing

I love how the stage are so far. I can't wait to play the 30km one.

Top Bottom