• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EARWOLF |OT| Podcasts for Daddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh boy this latest CBB episode has so many things that if quoted would get you immediately banned, so good, so dark. Karma Police~

Catvoca

Banned
This Hollywood Handbook boo 2016 episode is amazing. It takes a weird, dumb premise and runs with it for the entire episode in the way that only HH can do.

Catvoca

Banned
PSA The Howl Premium paywalls have started going up. They said they'd announce when this happens in advance but they didn't. All the Comedy Bang Bang, Who Charted and How Did This Get Made episodes older than 6 months are gone, as is the entirety of The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project, Mike Detective and The Reality Show Show 😓. RIP getting new people into CBB!

All of Hollywood Handbook is still up, as are a few other podcasts like I4H or Lauren Lapkus show. I'd advise downloading the old episodes now if you're going through their backlog and aren't planning on paying for Howl!

I tried listening to the Grease 2 episode of HDTGM and couldn't do it. It feels weird that they're in Anna Farris' house and almost sucking up to her meanwhile she's incoherent and adds nothing. It sounded like she was drunk or high or something.

PSA The Howl Premium paywalls have started going up. They said they'd announce when this happens in advance but they didn't. All the Comedy Bang Bang, Who Charted and How Did This Get Made episodes older than 6 months are gone, as is the entirety of The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project, Mike Detective and The Reality Show Show 😓. RIP getting new people into CBB!

All of Hollywood Handbook is still all up, as are a few other podcasts like I4H or Lauren Lapkus show. I'd advise downloading the old episodes now if you're going through their backlog and aren't planning on paying for Howl!

CBB! is easy enough to get into thankfully. A few inside jokes will be missed but the vast majority of episodes are enjoyable on their own. Still a bummer though.

Catvoca

Banned
CBB! is easy enough to get into thankfully. A few inside jokes will be missed but the vast majority of episodes are enjoyable on their own. Still a bummer though.

Personally, I doubt I would have ever gotten into CBB! If it hadn't have been for the old episodes. They have so many inside jokes and returning guests that I didn't get it at all until going back and listening to fan favourites. A lot of people on /r/Earwolf say the same thing. When they put HH behind the paywall it'll be even harder to get people into that show too.

ZeroX03

Banned

All of Hollywood Handbook is still all up, as are a few other podcasts like I4H or Lauren Lapkus show. I'd advise downloading the old episodes now if you're going through their backlog and aren't planning on paying for Howl!

Oh that's why I kept trying to download an old episode and it kept giving me an error. I've listened to most of the older episodes I want to hear and have Howl Premium but is still annoying.

Also the Mantzoukas/Daly stuff is nowhere near as funny unless you follow it from the beginning.

aett

My wife and I carpool to work each day and we listen to CBB together. We've been slowly working out way through this years' Best Ofs, which led to us talking about some of our other favorite bits from the past few years. So, luckily, I downloaded a handful of our favorite episodes just the other day. Now to make sure I never delete them.

HotHamBoy

Welp, there goes my chance to catch up on the CBB backlog.

Good lord, people, it's $4 a month... if you appreciate the work of all these hilarious people then put a penny in the jar...

I guess you could always use free 1 month trials with different accounts to carch up but still... it's the price of a pint or a latte for countless hours of entertainment.

Besides, once you've gotten your fill you can just cancel your sub and come back when they've added a bunch of new stuff for you to hear. No need to sub year-round.

All this Earwolf stuff has been available for years, completely free. Hell, you can easily skip the ads and everything. I really don't mind supporting the studio so they can keep making the shows I like.

Good lord, people, it's $4 a month... if you appreciate the work of all these hilarious people then put a penny in the jar...

I guess you could always use free 1 month trials with different accounts to carch up but still... it's the price of a pint or a latte for countless hours of entertainment.

Besides, once you've gotten your fill you can just cancel your sub and come back when they've added a bunch of new stuff for you to hear. No need to sub year-round.

All this Earwolf stuff has been available for years, completely free. Hell, you can easily skip the ads and everything. I really don't mind supporting the studio so they can keep making the shows I like.

I didn't want to say it but seriously this.

Isn't it like EIGHT YEARS of content for CBB alone? Is that truly worth fully nothing to a fan of the show?

Catvoca

Banned
While 5 bucks a month doesn't seem like much, it's still another subscription that's I don't want to have to pay when I'm already subbed to stuff like Spotify, Netflix etc. I've supported them in the past by buying merch and donating to them and I felt good about that. I also didn't mind buying the odd month of Howl to listen to new premium shows, some of which are really funny. Paying for Howl now feels like I'm supporting them taking away a bunch of stuff that was free and that I'd already supported through donations and listening to ads. Paying the €5 a month is actually giving me a worse service now than I had before because I have to use the shitty Howl app and have less freedom over how I want to listen to their shows. I'm not even sure if my money is actually going to help the artists on there that I like given the comments from Besser and the HH guys on their shows about not seeing any money from Howl yet. At least with donations I know my money is going to the people I support, like with what Tom Scharpling is doing with his Best Show patreon. Keep Howl for new shows, bonus eps of fan favourites and all that kind of stuff, but taking away things that were free and that helped me become a huge fan and supporter of them and making me pay for it on a worse service sucks.

A lot of people on Reddit seem to feel the same way.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm not going to pay when I only care about HDTGM. If I knew my money was going directly to them, I would gladly pony up. I usually donate every few months to support them. I hope they can jump ship.

I already have every episode downloaded anyway but the paywall sucks and the widow Howl app sucks too. I'll continue paying for it because I adore CBB.

I tried listening to the Grease 2 episode of HDTGM and couldn't do it. It feels weird that they're in Anna Farris' house and almost sucking up to her meanwhile she's incoherent and adds nothing. It sounded like she was drunk or high or something.

I enjoyed her yelling at Jason near the end of the ep. They were at her house to do her podcast. I listened to about 15 minutes of their episode of hers and it's awful. It's like an improv show where she does characters but she isn't good or funny at all. She was playing an agent or something. Yeesh.

neshcom

Banned
I wonder if they didn't announce this because they aren't done creating ad-free archives. I haven't checked the public doc they had, but those are huge backlogs to go back into and edit.

AND Howl doesn't get ad-free versions of Earwolf shows for 6 weeks.

ZeroX03

Banned
Howl app is destroying my battery life. It's using like 4x more than the Apple podcast app. Can I use this unofficial RSS feed to switch back to the old app?

shoelacer

Banned
The only real issue with the paywall people should have is the shitty ass Howl app. Didn't Scott mention something about them merging with Stitcher or something soon though?

HotHamBoy

The Howl app blows, no argument there.

As far as where the money goes, they have already explained that it makes it feasible for them to do podcasts miniseries. Teacher's Lounge, The Complete Woman, Superego Forgotten Classics, Uncle Bertie's and so on can only really get exposure through Howl. Podcasts typically rely on regular releases to gain traction.

And the production on some of the Howl exclusive radio plays is pretty impressive.

Will I miss anything if I start with 112 on CBB?

I mean probably, right? Where the eff should I start? When do the good characs show up? I don't want to hear a shitty Gandolfini impresh.

Clegg

Will I miss anything if I start with 112 on CBB?

I mean probably, right? Where the eff should I start? When do the good characs show up? I don't want to hear a shitty Gandolfini impresh.
It's all subjective. I started really getting into CBB when they debuted Huell Howser. So EP 29 onwards for me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
HDTGM old episodes are now behind a pay wall?

How do I rip them onto my HDD? This Howl app is total garbage. I'd rather pay once for a HDTGM pass than get nickle and dimed every month for 100 podcasts I don't care about.

HotHamBoy

HDTGM old episodes are now behind a pay wall?

How do I rip them onto my HDD? This Howl app is total garbage. I'd rather pay once for a HDTGM pass than get nickle and dimed every month for 100 podcasts I don't care about.

The app can download the episodes directly, as can the website.

Listen to the other podcasts before you decide you don't care about them. There are better Earwolf/Howl podcasts than HDTGM, and I love HDTGM.

FYI, every episode of HDTGM is on YouTube and so are a lot of other Earwolf podcasts.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The app can download the episodes directly, as can the website.

Listen to the other podcasts before you decide you don't care about them. There are better Earwolf/Howl podcasts than HDTGM, and I love HDTGM.

Besides, once you've heard the older eps why do you need access to them?

I love reslitening to old episodes of HDTGM. My wife loves Bitch Sesh, and I like a handful of CBB episodes, but HDGTM is by far my favorite podcast on there.

I used to listen to Hello, From the Magic Tavern but I haven't caught up in a while. Lord knows I won't be able to soon at this rate.

I don't mind throwing Jason, June & Paul some money, but this cost getting sprung on listeners out of nowhere sucks and doesn't make me want to fund Earwolf/Howl's other stuff.

HotHamBoy

I love reslitening to old episodes of HDTGM. My wife loves Bitch Sesh, and I like a handful of CBB episodes, but HDGTM is by far my favorite podcast on there.

I used to listen to Hello, From the Magic Tavern but I haven't caught up in a while. Lord knows I won't be able to soon at this rate.

I don't mind throwing Jason, June & Paul some money, but this cost getting sprung on listeners out of nowhere sucks and doesn't make me want to fund Earwolf/Howl's other stuff.

Yeah, I relisten too. That's why I deleted that sentence and replaced it with something more helpful :)

The HDTGM live episodes at Largo next week are Airborne and Surf Ninjas.

Also, I'm watching Escape From LA and forgot what a fun movie this is. Reminds me of Fallout a bit.

Man, PFT straight up said no more largo live shows for awhile because he can't fill the house which bummed me out. Crowd energy helps the hit or miss ratio for the show I feel.

Anyway, It was oddly funny to hear him say it directly in a commercial break 3 minutes before it comes up in the actual show which he dodges around.

Also, Paul Sheer starting this weeks HDTGM saying he, June, and Jason are pissed all the episodes are now behind the pay wall with zero notice and are actively trying to do something was super surprising. Any one else actual comment on it like that yet?

Also, Paul Sheer starting this weeks HDTGM saying he, June, and Jason are pissed all the episodes are now behind the pay wall with zero notice and are actively trying to do something was super surprising. Any one else actual comment on it like that yet?
Yeah they made fun of it multiple times on Hollywood Handbook earlier in the year.

I'm glad I made sure to save all the old HDGTMs before the paywall thing happened. I go back and listen to them all (well except for tiptoes, Timothy green, and the musicals) every now and then.

Catvoca

Banned

Yeah, sounds like from their twitter they might have a rotating catalogue of old episodes or something like that. That could be cool. Both the HH guys and Besser on Improv4Humans have made fun of Howl a lot and commented on it/the paywall in negative (but joking) ways. Never as outspoken as the HDTGM crew though. They have the luxury of being the biggest show on the network I suppose.

Not

Banned
PSA The Howl Premium paywalls have started going up. They said they'd announce when this happens in advance but they didn't. All the Comedy Bang Bang, Who Charted and How Did This Get Made episodes older than 6 months are gone, as is the entirety of The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project, Mike Detective and The Reality Show Show ��. RIP getting new people into CBB!

All of Hollywood Handbook is still up, as are a few other podcasts like I4H or Lauren Lapkus show. I'd advise downloading the old episodes now if you're going through their backlog and aren't planning on paying for Howl!

Shit is the whole HH catalogue going behind the paywall? I don't care about CBB since there's way too many to listen to, but HH is catchuponable.

I have no smartphone and there's no Internet in my apartment.

Fuck streaming podcasts.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Shit is the whole HH catalogue going behind the paywall? I don't care about CBB since there's way too many to listen to, but HH is catchuponable.
Episodes >6 months are archived behind the paywall.
EDIT: Oh maybe not HH yet? I was able to download the first episode.

I have no smartphone and there's no Internet in my apartment.

Fuck streaming podcasts.

I can download them on the app. You can't download them from the site?

Catvoca

Banned
Hollywood Handbook is still online but at some point the back catalogue (eps older than 6 months) will go behind the paywall. They said it would happen to every show except U talking U2 to Me and Analyse Phish. I would advise downloading the archives now if you're worried about losing them! You can still download shows on Howl but I believe they might be tied to the service with DRM (I could be wrong on that, but I'm sure I read that somewhere)

Jon Gabrus has never made me laugh once. I have no clue what it is about him that other people are into.

You're crazy! Gabrus is effortlessly funny. High and Mighty is such a good show. I spent the day before Christmas Eve watching Die Hard with his commentary special and laughing hysterically

megalowho

After plenty of time to work on improvements, the Howl.fm website and Android app are still ass and a chore to navigate and search. Been an off and on subscriber since they launched and really figured they were going to fix both before instituting a paywall.

The way it was handled left a bad taste in my mouth too, flipping the switch without informing the hosts or users. Seems like this will create a new barrier to entry for shows that thrive on continuity, as well as ones like HDTGM where new listeners might want to look up movies they're fond of to ease in. That's how I started with that one. Plus if you were one of the folks that donated lump sums of cash to shows current and past in order to keep them free, oh well, tough shit.

Might be feeling a bit salty but I'm inclined to just grab all the Hollywood Handbooks off Earwolf now before they disappear and cancel my Howl.fm subscription until they fix their shit. The Giant Bomb podcast paywall idea didn't go so smoothly either, and they came to the conclusion that exclusive content + other perks was a fairer subscription model than taking away what used to be available to all (and is still ad supported). Maybe the Earwolf folks will feel the same eventually as well, though it sounds like the time for that conversation has past.

HotHamBoy

Can't they figure out another way to make money? Aren't ads fine?

Some shows don't pull in the sponsorship that others do. Theoretically a show like Hollywood Handbook can be sustained thanks to Howl, as can the miniseries they have been experimenting with.

Salaadin

I dont disagree with this but I also feel like its hard to support Howl as a whole when theyve been consistently mishandling this whole switchover. I swear, isnt this is 2nd or third time this year that we got apologies from them for communicating poorly? It makes me feel uneasy about them.

Fuck, just last week I was in here seriously considering a yearly subscription....
Ill probably still buy it anyways but I wont blame anyone for not wanting to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom