• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

Mikey Jr.

They've been killing it on youtube subs.

I just checked their stats out, and they've been hitting triple digit subs numbers for a month. This week especially they've been doing really well.

I like to compare them to Kinda Funny. Not because they're rivals or anything, but generally both the same size and type of audience just to see if its a seasonal thing or what.

And yeah, they are doing well this month for some reason. Maybe people seeing the greatness of EZA?

They've been killing it on youtube subs.

I just checked their stats out, and they've been hitting triple digit subs numbers for a month. This week especially they've been doing really well.

I like to compare them to Kinda Funny. Not because they're rivals or anything, but generally both the same size and type of audience just to see if its a seasonal thing or what.

And yeah, they are doing well this month for some reason. Maybe people seeing the greatness of EZA?

I'll guess it's two factors:

They've been releasing reviews non-stop. I think that's the of content that gets the most newcomers attention.

Also, their presentation is at the best quality. This first visual impression is probably important for retaining those new viewers.

Hasney

I've also seen quite a few people linking the Dark Souls retro. Hoping the week off doesn't hurt considering it's only been communicated through the group stream.

Mista Koo

Cuphead is amazing. Beaten the first world before watching the group stream and it's cool to see how you have different strategies for different weapons. Co-op was harder than solo since it gets even more confusing. Would like to give co-op a shot after I beat the game with another person who beat it too.
I switched L1 (weapon change) with triangle (dash), didn't even touch the default scheme.

Good time to update the queue:
-Cuphead (half way through world 3)
-Picross S (my second screen game)
-Destiny 2 (done with the campaign, not sure how much more I'm gonna play but the idea of raiding is intimidating)
-Mario+Rabbids (on world 4 but I haven't played in a while, can't blast through it anymore)
-Wonder Boy (last level left, contemplating dropping it because it lacks checkpoints)
=========
-Splatoon 2 (should get it this week for the Splatfest)
-Mario Odyssey
=========
-Nier Automata

Will probably play more indie and Switch games but not sure when or what.

Hasney

Jesus, it might have been used before on a Spoiler Mode I haven't watched because I didn't beat the game yet, but the intro song killed me.

Kneefoil

-Wonder Boy (last level left, contemplating dropping it because it lacks checkpoints)
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap? Go get the
Tasmanian Sword
, if you haven't already.
Being able to transform on the fly
should be helpful for navigating that level.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoyed the Spoilermode. I will say I kinda don't mind them being late cause it's more important to have a varied and passionate panel.
I also think they can frame the lateness in a positive way.
Make end of the year maybe spoilermode season if that makes sense?
Since we're getting close to game of the year spoiler modes seems to be a nice way for people to get refreshers on games they played and bringing them back into the mindshare.

Wouldn't mind a shorter, 30-minute spoiler mode for episodic games, if enough Allies are playing them. I would love to hear Huber and Blood talk about Episode 1 of Beyond the Storm, for example. You could just tell in the most recent Frame Trap that there was a lot they wanted to talk about but just couldn't. Also, episodic games are so much fun to discuss episode to episode - the mystery has kind of gone by the end of the thing.

Nice episode of Easy Update. Huber is so jolly, I wish I was like him. He finds the best in everything, which is the complete opposite of me.

I realised while watching that that we don't really see Ian play games that much. I'd like to see him do a full playthrough of The Evil Within 2 with Huber by his side. That'd be nice.

Hasney

I'm playing Evil Within now. I fell off early on PS4, think the frame rate and letterboxing was killing my enjoyment at the time. Got it on PC now and it's much nicer.

Bahorel

Nice episode of Easy Update. Huber is so jolly, I wish I was like him. He finds the best in everything, which is the complete opposite of me.

I realised while watching that that we don't really see Ian play games that much. I'd like to see him do a full playthrough of The Evil Within 2 with Huber by his side. That'd be nice.

i agree I'm watching EU rn and it's so so jolly. I'd love to see more like this, Huber is such a great right hand man.

It's great they finally got around to the Persona 5 spoiler mode and I enjoyed the discussion but man, all it did was remind me of how disappointed I was with that game.

I think I put a lot of that down to one scene (late game Persona 5 spoilers)
in November, where Shido's giving a lengthy monologue about his plans to absolutely no-one.
The entire thing was so incredibly hokey, I couldn't help but laugh at how bad it was. I assume it was down to a bad localisation but still, from that point on I started looking at the game from a negative light and it killed it for me.

I didn't like most of the main characters (though Makoto was great and I liked Futuba), I didn't like Mementos, I didn't like how drawn out the game was and I especially didn't like the absurd amount of exposition and plot twists in the late game.

There's some good stuff in there, particularly the visual style, the much improved main dungeons and some of the characters (particularly Makoto, Sojiro, Kawakami and Takemi) but it's not enough to balance out the negatives for me.

Persona 4 >> Persona 3 > Persona 5

mcw

I loved that discussion of Persona 5! Everyone brought great perspective to the discussion, but I found Ben's take particularly insightful: The problems that these characters have are interesting and relatable, even the ones-- maybe especially the ones-- that other games don't often tackle. That's a concept with tremendous promise. Whether or not Persona 5 followed through on that promise, at least it tried, and that's something that needs to be recognized.

For me, Persona 5 was not a bad game, but it was a disappointment on several levels. And here's the biggest one: Persona's battle system sucks. Fight an enemy, try every spell until you figure out what its weakness is; once you know that, each new battle consists of you hitting each enemy's weakness, then performing an All-Out Attack. That's it. That's every battle in the game. As the game goes on, you get new abilities, but they're all designed to passively protect you while you go through this same loop.

This is the same combat system as Persona 3 and Persona 4; P5 doesn't do enough to make it feel fresh or different. The main thing it adds is visual flair: menus and post-battle animations that look striking and are perfectly-executed, but which get old quickly, and eventually become an annoyance.

For a game with boring combat to then be more than a hundred hours long... There was little to nothing P5 could do to avoid losing me eventually, and that's what happened when I got to
Shido's Palace-- once I got to the first mouse section, I quit the game and never went back to it
. That's a shame, because P5 does do a lot of great things. Historically, this series has led the way in character development. In the time since Persona 4, other games have caught up and often surpassed it-- I played Night in the Woods right before Persona 5, and that sure didn't do Persona any favors-- but there's still no other game that offers this unique blend of humanity and pop culture.

Mista Koo

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap? Go get the
Tasmanian Sword
, if you haven't already.
Being able to transform on the fly
should be helpful for navigating that level.
Thanks, this helped me reach the final boss. However since your post alone I died once getting to it, once in the final level, and once to the final boss. I've decided I'm done with the game.

Gorgeous game, but I already wasted enough time due to the no checkpoints lose all items BS. Also having to change equipment everytime I transform is also BS.

Sometimes i wish they would do more produced/edited content. I love their personalities but i have no interest or time to watch 3h streams of random games. I'd love to watch the tournaments if they edited some of the fluff out.

I watch easy update, huber hype and the podcast and skip everything else because they are just too long.

I'm sure some of you feel different, just my opinion. Oh and please do quick looks, that would be my most wanted and easy(-ish) to produce.

mcw

Sometimes i wish they would do more produced/edited content. I love their personalities but i have no interest or time to watch 3h streams of random games. I'd love to watch the tournaments if they edited some of the fluff out.

I watch easy update, huber hype and the podcast and skip everything else because they are just too long.

I'm sure some of you feel different, just my opinion. Oh and please do quick looks, that would be my most wanted and easy(-ish) to produce.

I don’t really agree with any of this, but what I will say is that if you’re not already subscribed to the SomeGameNews channel on YouTube, you should check it out. That guy makes Best of Easy Allies videos that provide easily digestible highlights from the streams and Q&As; really great stuff.

Haha well played Kyle...er I mean Group Stream Selection Council in working around a game they don’t want to possibly stream. I too didn’t want it to be an option

ShadyK54

Haha well played Kyle...er I mean Group Stream Selection Council in working around a game they don’t want to possibly stream. I too didn’t want it to be an option

Just read that post lmao.

“Council”

tumblr_nm4cku2doB1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Dmax3901

Yeah glad to hear it got vetoed, I don't really understand the obsession some fans have for getting them to acknowledge it. Funny for a few minutes maybe (like at E3), but for a couple of hours? Nah mate.

Yeah. Their bread and butter is their produced content as opposed to streams. Streams are the best way for them to engage with their most dedicated fanbase but a lot of it is hit and miss. It's no surprise the produced content is what brings in the numbers––reviews, Retrospectives, previews and so on.

I hope the committee bias for nostalgia, controversy and tabletop games settle down after a bit.

I have a fear that new releases and weird games I'll be left out of the group streams.

But I expect big changes to the commitee selection process.

Hasney

Kyle himself has said he'll add a 4th weird game to the list when required.

I doubt there will be many changes next week. It's not going to be a tournament while this process beds in apparently, so that'll be later in the month I guess.

Mikey Jr.

I was going to vote Secret Hitler, but I didn't know it was so complicated.

I played Avalon, and it was WAY simpler than whatever that Hitler games is.

So yeah, not voting that. Buy Avalon instead. Way better.

I'm happy Senran Kagura was vetoed but Kyle really should've made it clear he could veto games from the very beginning. There's going to be a bunch of salty people now, which could've easily been avoided.

Also, what happens when Golf Story takes its second L in a row? People just keep nominating it until it's picked? There should be rules to stop that from happening and to stop winners from re-appearing too often too.

Hasney

I dont think there should be rules stopping a game from appearing for just taking the L, it'll run out of steam naturally if not enough people want it. There's no reason for it not to be in the poll if it's still top 3.

Winners are different as they've already been played, but there no reason why the text name of a game appearing in a poll should stop it from being nominated again.

ToonLink

I don't think the Allies should be forced to play something that they're uncomfortable with, just because some Patrons voted for it. And let's be real, it's also something a sizeable part of the audience would be uncomfortable with also.

ShadyK54

I'm happy Senran Kagura was vetoed but Kyle really should've made it clear he could veto games from the very beginning. There's going to be a bunch of salty people now, which could've easily been avoided.

Yeah, this’ll be the main problem for sure. Hell, go and look at the comments already.

Also lol @ the “2 of the 3 games aren’t even video games, it’s better when it’s competitive” comment when literally one of their best streams ever was the Pokemon TCG tourney.

Mikey Jr.

1. The Allies should 100% have the ability to veto anything.

2. A game should have the ability to appear as many times as it wants.

3. This is a PATRON vote. It's what the Patrons want to see. Simple as that. You don't like boardgames? Too bad. Vote against it.

Axass

I absolutely don't care about them playing Senran Kagura, and they shouldn't be forced to play something they don't want to, but people who voted it will feel cheated, and rightly so.

I mean, it's linked to a Patreon tier, people are possibly paying money for the ability to pick a game, Kyle should at least explain why they vetoed it and if this could happen again.

BTW - Swords seems to be a great game to play, but not so much to watch, very quick and confusing, dunno how I feel about it winning.

I absolutely don't care about them playing Senran Kagura, and they shouldn't be forced to play something they don't want to, but people who voted it will feel cheated, and rightly so.

I mean, it's linked to a Patreon tier, people are possibly paying money for the ability to pick a game, Kyle should at least explain why they vetoed it and if this could happen again.

BTW - Swords seems to be a great game to play, but not so much to watch, very quick and confusing, dunno how I feel about it winning.

I think swords will work well once they get the hang of it and will have a number of exciting moments due to its quick nature and pseudo alliance aspect. Plus a number of them have already played it so that will speed up the learning time

Dmax3901

TYPO himself has said he'll add a 4th weird game to the list when required.

I doubt there will be many changes next week. It's not going to be a tournament while this process beds in apparently, so that'll be later in the month I guess.

Might wanna edit your typo out, ha.

ShadyK54

i think this switch is a bad choice, to be honest. just propose 4 games selected by them and let us choose

Nah, I like the new method. The kinks just need to be worked out (as they should be). The only thing wrong so far is the “Council” coming out of nowhere. The reactions (at least based of the Patreon post) would’ve been a lot less salty if Kyl- the Council was forthcoming at the start of the new tier.

i think this switch is a bad choice, to be honest. just propose 4 games selected by them and let us choose
I disagree. It needs refinement but it allows a wider range of game choices. I do think that Kyle should always get to do one 4th pic

And I’m glad to see people are handling their water gun boobie game getting vetoed well *eye roll*

Eh, I think it needs improvements (like strict rules and guidelines, not just stuff Kyle makes up on the fly) but let's see how it goes.

Realistically, Kyle probably would've put Shadow of War up for vote this week solely because it's a big new game, so the change is already paying off in one way.

farisr

Realistically, Kyle probably would've put Shadow of War up for vote this week solely because it's a big new game, so the change is already paying off in one way.
Good... Good....

What's funny is during E3, I thought an allies stream for the game could possibly be fun depending on just how many orc interactions they had and what not. But after all the lootbox stuff, the less exposure this game gets the better in my books.

Mikey Jr.

Eh, I think it needs improvements (like strict rules and guidelines, not just stuff Kyle makes up on the fly) but let's see how it goes.

Haha, this is true. And would have won too.

This system has already paid off.

Top Bottom