• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

Mikey Jr.

Look at all the YT vids that they have up.

EZA has to be the most diverse young youtube channel, or god damn close to it. They have so much different stuff.

Retros, reviews, previews, podcast about specfic gaming news/general gaming stuff/movies/Nintendo/anime, huber syndrome, game sleuth, reactions, bets, tabletop, etc etc.

ohyescoolgreat

Neo Member
I voted for Secret Hitler since the style of the game suits a 1.5 hour stream whereas Swords seems very quick paced to me. I then decided to read the comments on the vote post and gosh, there are some salty people.

What options the Allies have to put a bit more structure around the patron vote process? It seems patreon itself doesn't seem to have a lot of tools for that beyond simple commenting.

I just finished listening to the new Friend Code and
Damiani with that five finger discount story had me in stitches!

Mista Koo

Voted for Secret Hitler, I've played it recently and enjoyed it. I really don't like that Swords made it and will probably win, but good for Ian I guess.
Either way tabletop games are tough to shoot. Secret Hitler works well since it only needs a scoreboard graphic.

I was going to vote Secret Hitler, but I didn't know it was so complicated.

I played Avalon, and it was WAY simpler than whatever that Hitler games is.

So yeah, not voting that. Buy Avalon instead. Way better.
It's not particularly complicated. It just has a randomness element for the mission success and fail cards when compared to The Resistance/Avalon. Also it should be a bit faster since you only choose one other person for each "mission."

I was against it for a while due to the edgy theme and being from CAH designers. But I think it's more fun for the good guys than The Resistance (one of my all time favs) since you have more agency beyond deduction. Also its graphic design is beautiful.

I just finished Friend Code and shouldn't it be pretty easy to verify whether "NoA Steve" is legit? DM him on Twitter or something.

Loved the story of Damiani's criminal exploits.

On the FIFA discussion, putting the sales down to graphics was honestly pretty laughable, so Kyle brought some much needed sanity to the conversation. But even then, I don't think he had a full grasp of the situation. You're assuming it's a level playing field between all three systems when in reality, 99% of the FIFA audience already owns a PS4/Xbox One, has an Ultimate Team on those systems and so on. To lure those players away from those systems is going to take a hell of a lot more than portability, which isn't exactly a brand new twist. So in other words, trying to sell the Switch version to that audience is the equivalent of trying to sell a Xbox in Japan.

As for the store shutdown, the PSP only had its native store shut down, you can still buy PSP games on the PS3, Vita and webstore and then download them to a PSP via the download list or PS3. So it wasn't really a big deal unless you didn't have access to a PS3 or web browser.

The Wii eStore, on the other hand, sounds like it's a complete shut down, which is more like when Sony shut down their PS Mobile (?) store, which had a couple of cool games on it, like Tokyo Jungle Mobile. Both cases are honestly pretty terrifying in this digital age. I never owned a Wii but I always wanted to play FF My Life as a King, so it sucks it's seemingly just going to disappear into the ether.

Deimo5

P5 spoiler mode made me want to get back into NG+ whenever I can find a spare 120 hours again. That is one long game. I felt like the discussion could have gone on longer but potentially you could be there all night I suppose.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I think Simpsons: Road Rage would be a much better stream game, or even Simpsons Wrestling

Although I think the latter is quite hard to find now.

Worthy candidates, but I've only really got emotional investment in Hit & Run. I'd be happy with any of the above though!

They really do need a better system for nominating games, though. It's a real pain scrolling through them.

Hasney

The sold out angle will likely be proven false next week. Amazon are re-stocking tomorrow so assuming that it doesn't sell out again and there's no bump in sales on next weeks chart, then it will be proven once and for all that it wasn't really a factor.

Still, the way the UK market is so weird at the moment and the UK isn't a strong casual market for Nintendo, it will be interesting to see if it meets EA's expectations or not. Obviously there was more demand than supply at Amazon so it beat what they were expecting, but you'd expect the market researches at EA to have a decent enough grasp of the situation for the console.

Fou-Lu

Only just watching the September Q&A. Surprised to find out Ben doesn't like Golden Sun. I can get it though, it starts slow and really the entire first game is pretty much a prologue to the second.

Daggoth

I won't lie, I said at one point early on that they should drop reviews.

I was very very mistaken.
It's crazy to think that reviews, which might be driving the huge amount of subs over the past week, are tied to a patreon reward tier that they were not expecting to hit (PAX panel).

Not a criticism at all, I understand the cyclical nature, just ... yeah.

It looks like the big drivers right now are the Retrospective and Game Sleuth. Both have had a big boost over the past few days as it seems they've pleased the YouTube robots and are getting a lot of visibility among new viewers getting it recommended on the YouTube home page.

Mikey Jr.

It looks like the big drivers right now are the Retrospective and Game Sleuth. Both have had a big boost over the past few days as it seems they've pleased the YouTube robots and are getting a lot of visibility among new viewers getting it recommended on the YouTube home page.

Wow, awesome.

Good to see those series doing work.

As for Game Sleuth, gotta appeal to the mass audience for views. Stuff like Zelda and Final Fantasy draws eyeballs.

Hasney

Wow, awesome.

Good to see those series doing work.

As for Game Sleuth, gotta appeal to the mass audience for views. Stuff like Zelda and Final Fantasy draws eyeballs.

Yeah, I'm loathe to agree because I loved that random-ass game I'd never even heard of before, but I guess they'd need to become more regular to make those finds be worth the time and effort when bigger games can be interesting and bring in the eyeballs.

Axass

Holy crepes! The latest Game Sleuth is at 70k already and the Retros got a huge bump as well, part 1 was at 40k and then something last time I checked, and it wasn't long ago. Glad they're raking in views, it's well deserved, time to put out part 3 of the Retro while the iron is still hot.

EDIT: Is there any way to see the history of daily/weekly views of a video? Something like Graphtreon but for YouTube videos?

Ultimadrago

Just watched Brad's Cuphead review. It was pretty good and I agree with the score, though I disagree with co-op being a poor way to play just because doing it alone is easier. In my first playthrough, I did co-op from beginning to end and enjoyed the challenge. Keeping up with the chaos you're producing while your partner does the same is a part of the work the players must keep track of from stages and bosses. It's not an issue, it's a benefit that makes Cuphead co-op more than just "Single-player Cuphead x2".

I also don't think EX and Super not being toggle on max is not a very big issue, though I'm glad they brought it up. There's technically no reason it shouldn't be possible, but in my experience, if you use EX in general at all you'll hardly find yourself in a position where you need to use EX while having 5 cards (unless you're producing them at a ridiculous rate, which can be easily controlled).

The biggest flaw, which I didn't recall from the reviews is that it is a bit buggy. I know Brad ran into a menu lock during the Cuphead stream, and perhaps it was the only one he ever saw, but I ran into a few in my first run of the game. They were mostly minor, but enough where I would have noted it. More of a case-by-case I'd suppose.

Budi

Anyone else here watching The Deuce from HBO and reminded of Casanova everytime Daniel Sauli is on screen? In my own headcanon it's actually Don!
Evw9Skf.jpg

Probably the latter.

I also think, when watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, that this is how Bosman is going to be when he's older.

I think I consume too much Allies stuff.

Budi

Probably the latter.

I also think, when watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, that this is how Bosman is going to be when he's older.

I think I consume too much Allies stuff.
Haha, yeah he will.
Sometimes i wish they would do more produced/edited content.
I very much agree. I've been starting to skip some topics on the podcasts too, right now after my studies started I've been bit busier. I don't mean that they should drop or reduce something they are already doing, but if they can find more time for produced content I would love it. And as we can see, that also brings traffic. It's one of their best bets for growing.

Alucrid

Banned
He'll need to review/play it himself first, I guess. Maybe we'll get a full-stream Friday turnaround similar to RE7 but we don't know how long the game is yet either.

thanks. i guess a review by him is good enough to sell me on it, but it was really watching some of his full playthrough that sold me on the first

Haha, yeah he will.
I very much agree. I've been starting to skip some topics on the podcasts too, right now after my studies started I've been bit busier. I don't mean that they should drop or reduce something they are already doing, but if they can find more time for produced content I would love it. And as we can see, that also brings traffic. It's one of their best bets for growing.

It's just too much for their older viewers. I'm pretty sure that they have one of the oldest audiences for a gaming youtube channel.

But if the biggest chunk of donaters enjoy the streams then i'm obviously wrong.

I saw the q & a and the marketing answers made me cringe...'we dont know how', 'we cant see direct results',...

Dude, i'm sure in your community there's someone with marketing skills that can definitely help you for free.
There's also basic stuff you can learn just by reading a few books: SEO, Google Analytics, etc

Ps: make an instagram account. Just with some pics of the day shooting, pics with reminder that a show is up etc. Eu is more into Instagram than twitter.

I saw the q & a and the marketing answers made me cringe...'we dont know how', 'we cant see direct results',...

Dude, i'm sure in your community there's someone with marketing skills that can definitely help you for free.
There's also basic stuff you can learn just by reading a few books: SEO, Google Analytics, etc

I have marketing experience and i would make a document with a few suggestions but i don't know if they're open to change things or if i would waste my time.

Hasney

I do web analytics for a living, but since the webpage is a one page dealie, not sure what I could offer apart from utilising campaign IDs to see what content makes people click the front page for a better look.

Bahorel

It's just too much for their older viewers. I'm pretty sure that they have one of the oldest audiences for a gaming youtube channel.

But if the biggest chunk of donaters enjoy the streams then i'm obviously wrong.

Giant bomb probably has an older audience maybe? But I agree, or well, I mean I'm an example of someone who is in the Allies age range (I'm the same age as Brad and Huber) who has been watching them for ten years.

The reason why I don't watch the group streams as often as, say, other people though is not because of time but because the games that win are often fighting/competitive/sports oriented and that's just not for me, I like to watch the ones that are more narrative. But I was really into for example their big until dawn sleepover stream, etc.

I listen to every podcast tho and get very excited about long frame traps. I don't even skip when they talk about games I'll never play, I just like hearing them get excited about things, plus I like being in the know either way.

Out of curiosity for your point tho I wonder if there is anyone who regularly comes to this thread as an EZA fan who is under 20

Hasney

The thing about the streams Vs. Produced content thing is that I don't feel like they're taking away from produced content at all. Weekly streams are dropped or some of them don't show up for group streams when they have pressing reviews, but maintaining those Twitch subs and engaging with that audience is probably a good chunk of change while keeping in contact and taking the pulse of those people.

But when you think about how much produced content they put out with reviews, don't skips, podcasts and retros/game sleuth now and again, I don't think there can be too many complaints in terms of volume.

Mista Koo

Appearing on other podcast/shows isn't something you do yourself. And doing your own marketing yourself requires you to enjoy it.
I wonder if they'd be into doing a Waypoint and have their Twitter become a.. "character."

And of course Damiani's cats are Cloud and Tifa.

I doubt that. Unless you mean "not primarily teenagers."
Also please don't use "older viewers" to refer to people in their 30s. Despite popular belief that's not what old is.
I have less than a year to convince myself that.

As for the produced vs streamed, I just can't watch solo streams that's my only complaint. I don't really watch most of their produced shows either, podcasts and Ian aside.

Bahorel

Appearing on other podcast/shows isn't something you do yourself. And doing your own marketing yourself requires you to enjoy it.
I wonder if they'd be into doing a Waypoint and have their Twitter become a.. "character."

And of course Damiani's cats are Cloud and Tifa.

I doubt that. Unless you mean "not primarily teenagers."

Also please don't use "older viewers" to refer to people in their 30s. Despite popular belief that's not what old is.
I have less than a year to convince myself that.

i assumed they were referring to the fact that like for example pdp and markiplier and jackspeticeye etc have vast audiences made up of 14 year olds while EZA gather people that are closer in age range to themselves? I don't know. I'd at least believe the EZA audience averages 20-30

ShadyK54

The thing about the streams Vs. Produced content thing is that I don't feel like they're taking away from produced content at all. Weekly streams are dropped or some of them don't show up for group streams when they have pressing reviews, but maintaining those Twitch subs and engaging with that audience is probably a good chunk of change while keeping in contact and taking the pulse of those people.

But when you think about how much produced content they put out with reviews, don't skips, podcasts and retros/game sleuth now and again, I don't think there can be too many complaints in terms of volume.

Pretty much. Hell, sometimes there’s too much content in general & I cant keep up lol. I’m like 4-5 Frame Traps behind.

farisr, I hope you see this...

Might contain some vague spoilers of the first Beastly stream:

You need to check out 55:00 until 62:00 on the youtube archive for the first Dumb Game Monday for Beastly if you haven't seen it already.

Also, both time Kyle plays the "point at the sign" minigame. I wish I had written down the timestamp for it. Its amazing. Kyle's uncontrollable laughter and cries of "what is this video game?"

This stream is amazing so far. Who knew Beastly could live up to the hype?

Fake Edit: Just went back and the 1st minigame starts around 26:00 until 30:00 and the second one starts around 50:00 until 53:00. Kyle's reaction when he learns that he has to do the minigame again is amazing.

Actually, watch the whole stream. Its amazing so far.

Definitely Best Of worthy

Top Bottom