• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 202, June 2009

I think Bizarre Creations are on the right track. PGR4 was an incredible game, but it failed in creating any kind of community (in which Forza succeeded much better). The community website for PGR4, pgrnations.com, was a disaster, mainly because there seemed to be no community management at all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lowrider007 said:
I love the Edge, I just hate their ratings 99% of the time, I wish they did a special subscription model where you could opt to have the Edge without the game ratings printed, would be good as an experiment as you wouldn't be alienating anyone.

They kinda did that in one issue. Scores were not printed at the bottom of the reviews but rather in one page at about the end of the mag.

Haruspex

Banned
Edge have got this thing for whipping up bombasting, grandiose statements about how such and such a development is going to fundamentally alter the gaming landscape as we know it, it will revolutionise attitudes and habits towards games and have a seismic impact on social gaming... then it turns out to be shit, or about three people in the world actually use the feature in any meaningful way.

Haruspex said:
Edge have got this thing for whipping up bombasting, grandiose statements about how such and such a development is going to fundamentally alter the gaming landscape as we know it, it will revolutionise attitudes and habits towards games and have a seismic impact on social gaming... then it turns out to be shit, or about three people in the world actually use the feature in any meaningful way.
Bizarre don't make shit racing games. Even if the Facebook networking is wholly optional and doesn't take off it's an interesting talking point and something that distinguishes it from Codemasters and those similar games. Edge always talk about the new features of games- but if you actually read the article it's more-often-than-not laced with cautious optimism.

Got to love the CryEngine 3 ad: XBOX 360, PlayStaiton 3, MMO, PC, Next Gen Ready.

CryTek has called it- next gen is dead.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
as someone on the fence about getting a DSi, I'd like to know more about the Mighty Flip Champs game... any new info?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Willeth said:
Blur (in a n eight-page feature called 'Community Esprit' :lol) opens with the line "PGR is a game that hates players." :lol So Blur focuses on reward rather than challenge. Racing takes place in different cities and countries, with different styles of racing. It has 20-player online events, and local 4-player racing. All the characters in the game are connected to a social network (jokingly called, variously, 'Racebook', 'MyRace', and 'InnerTube'), which is essentially the game interface. It works as you'd expect, with race invitations, fan tracking, your car catalogue, all that stuff. But it doesn't look like your stats will upload to actual Facebook or anything like that. It's just a game mode. There is a separate one for multiplayer for sharing in-game photos etc, but there's no word on whether that will have a web presence.
What you can do is create a race mode that suits you, and put that on the in-game network that other people can join. Essentially that means you have a set of matchmaking playlists that are completely editable by the user. They talk about a group that removed all power-ups and had an honour rule that you had to shout 'Hasselhoff!' when you overtook someone.

ok, this sounds pretty awesome actually. the community aspect could be neat if implemented well, and i'd be willing to bet there will be web content for all of this as well. i'm imagining bungie.net like stuff both in game and on the net.

the best part of that write up though is the customization for lobbies and game modes. it sounds like the purely race guys, such as myself, could just set up rooms with racing challenges and no power-ups or wacky shit. so, PGR on fictional tracks in real locations, with 20 cars! also fun could be some of the other challenges you could do, hopefully ala pgr's cone challenges. and since the combat/power-up aspect could be entirely optional, i'll admit that could be fun as well from time to time.

sign me the fuck up.

SupahBlah

Banned
Frenck said:
FIFA 2010

It's rumored to be as much of a step forward as 09.

poundit.gif

BC for 6? the multiplayer I have seen so far has sold me on the game anyway since it looks just as fun as lost planet's.

Zzoram

lowrider007 said:
I love the Edge, I just hate their ratings 99% of the time, I wish they did a special subscription model where you could opt to have the Edge without the game ratings printed, would be good as an experiment as you wouldn't be alienating anyone.

It's pathetic to think that actually using more of the 1-10 scale on a relatively consistent basis would offend fanboys so much as to alienate them. Are you implying that giving all 7-10s would bring in more customers?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Haunted said:
"when Need For Speed meets facebook" might just be one of the most off-putting sentences I've ever read about a videogame.

Willeth's description of the article sounds ok, though. :p

Weak month for reviews, Bionic Commando [6] - hm.

Think about it!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? You're stealing cars and street racing d00d!!!

Zzoram said:
It's pathetic to think that actually using more of the 1-10 scale on a relatively consistent basis would offend fanboys so much as to alienate them. Are you implying that giving all 7-10s would bring in more customers?

I really wish we could drop this by now laughable notion that Edge is somehow more critical, and/or uses the scale more properly, than other review sources. Their OMFGGOTY reviews are every bit as ridiculous as the norm, only with an added layer of polish, and hyperbole, to the review text. Reviews for games scoring between 5 and 8 are typically good reads, but that's about it.

Goldrusher said:
It's basically PGR meets WipEout.

Real cars, real locations, but with shields and mines and stuff.

Sounds like a terrible concept. It doesn't help that it's coming from a studio that is known for failing to provide exciting racing despite having all the ingredients in order.

Firestorm

cjelly said:
Is Edge ever going to have a good cover again?

I guess it's taking the place of CVG now.
The FFXII was really nice in person. Great use of colour imo. Still reading through that one and loving the feature on Prince Edward Island.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
AltogetherAndrews said:
Sounds like a terrible concept. It doesn't help that it's coming from a studio that is known for failing to provide exciting racing despite having all the ingredients in order.

what? your opinion is one thing, but a blanket statement like "from a studio known for failing..." is just fucking stupid.

AltogetherAndrews said:
It doesn't help that it's coming from a studio that is known for failing to provide exciting racing despite having all the ingredients in order.
Now you're making shit up.
AstroLad said:
whoo awesome time extend and making of
Yeah, there's a scaled reprint of the design document for Maximo, wannabe designers might like to take a look at that.
Baconbitz said:
Anyone have a picture of the teaser at the end?
It's just grass. Drops June 4th if that's what you wanted to know.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Visualante said:
Yeah, there's a scaled reprint of the design document for Maximo, wannabe designers might like to take a look at that.
aside from the occasional great features (which 200 had a good amount of), time extend and making of are my favorite parts of edge. and i get retro gamer too but i just like the way edge does it

xabre said:
I shouldn't bother with Star Ocean 4 then?

ehh I dunno....I'm normally a hater on Edge scores but these this month seem pretty in line given the fact that they use almost the whole scale

I played SO4 for about 8 hours then just hit a wall, the enemies were pretty boring.

Tailzo

Reviews:
Star Ocean: the Last Hope [5] I kinda expected a low score, but 5 isn't horrible coming from Edge
Phantasy Star Portable [4] Worse than average? I'd say that's harsh. I'm loving it.

Frenck said:
FIFA 2010

It's rumored to be as much of a step forward as 09.

Edge has never covered annual updates of sports games. Can't remember when it last talked about a FIFA game.

Plus, if you look very closely there's a tiny purple blob in the top right-hand corner...

The Phantasy Star score isn't that surprising when you look at the Metacritic average. It's at 68 (the Edge review was not included when I checked) which is way, way below average on the scale of most gaming review outlets.

Frenck

Banned
Hero of Canton said:
Edge has never covered annual updates of sports games. Can't remember when it last talked about a FIFA game.

Plus, if you look very closely there's a tiny purple blob in the top right-hand corner...

They secured FIFA 2010 as a world exclusive cover story as far as I know and the rest of the gaming media is pissed about it since they have to sit on their impressions until the next EDGE is on shelves.

adelante

Frenck said:
They secured FIFA 2010 as a world exclusive cover story as far as I know and the rest of the gaming media is pissed about it since they have to sit on their impressions until the next EDGE is on shelves.
Yep....they had a FIFA press meet at the Emirates Stadium last friday, pretty much confirms it....I've been waiting for the damn embargo to be lifted...HARGH

eso76

Willeth said:
What you can do is create a race mode that suits you, and put that on the in-game network that other people can join

oh,great so i can remove all the weapons and turn it into the real pgr5 !

op_ivy said:
what? your opinion is one thing, but a blanket statement like "from a studio known for failing..." is just fucking stupid.

what he says is spot on

all their racing games after formula one '97 have been down right awful in terms of racing and controls - and from the sound of blur that isn't going to change. they're like polyphony digital - a developer who chooses to go to town on the visuals, while the game play is simply an after thought.

a full auto knock off with licensed cars? riveting... :roll

Haunted

panda21 said:
why they not like bionic commando??
I wouldn't interpret a "better than average" rating as EDGE not liking the game.

But yeah, someone with a summary or something of the BC review.

Y2Kev said:
Think about it!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? You're stealing cars and street racing d00d!!!
current mood: street racing
listening to: Fast and the Furious OST
Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and me = BFF

Top Bottom