• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 202, June 2009

Willeth said:
There's not a lot we don't already know about BioShock 2 - takes place ten years later, you're a prototype Big Daddy taking orders from Tenenbaum. Apparently attempts have been made to make the combat more emphasis on setting up combat before you enter it. It worries me a little if only for the Little Sister protection mechanic - when a Sister in harvesting from a corpse, you have to protect her from attacking Splicers. Sound familiar?

Blur (in a n eight-page feature called 'Community Esprit' :lol) opens with the line "PGR is a game that hates players." :lol So Blur focuses on reward rather than challenge. Racing takes place in different cities and countries, with different styles of racing. It has 20-player online events, and local 4-player racing. All the characters in the game are connected to a social network (jokingly called, variously, 'Racebook', 'MyRace', and 'InnerTube'), which is essentially the game interface. It works as you'd expect, with race invitations, fan tracking, your car catalogue, all that stuff. But it doesn't look like your stats will upload to actual Facebook or anything like that. It's just a game mode. There is a separate one for multiplayer for sharing in-game photos etc, but there's no word on whether that will have a web presence.
What you can do is create a race mode that suits you, and put that on the in-game network that other people can join. Essentially that means you have a set of matchmaking playlists that are completely editable by the user. They talk about a group that removed all power-ups and had an honour rule that you had to shout 'Hasselhoff!' when you overtook someone.
sounds very fun; good to see a game that actually encourages people to not take things seriously:lol

I don't see this purple blob. Am I blind or is this bullshit spread by blogs without scans. Also why the fuck would they give a reveal like this to Edge? Official Nintendo Magazine gets 10 times as many readers and usually gets first dibs on every Nintendo story in Europe.

Oh I see it- it's like 4 pixels, I dunno, could easily be an artefact or just a type of grass/flower.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
AltogetherAndrews said:
Sounds like a terrible concept. It doesn't help that it's coming from a studio that is known for failing to provide exciting racing despite having all the ingredients in order.

Sounds like a cool concept. It really helps that it's coming from a studio that is known for providing exciting racing as well as unique features and ideas, not to mention slick graphics.

Wow, that was easy! Thanks for the template, AA. At any rate, Bizarre has never let me down, so I'll wait and see for myself how this new game pans out.

Visualante said:
Oh I see it- it's like 4 pixels, I dunno, could easily be an artefact or just a type of grass/flower.

pikmin.jpg

Poison and Lardo say hai. :D

NeoZylom

Visualante said:
I don't see this purple blob. Am I blind or is this bullshit spread by blogs without scans. Also why the fuck would they give a reveal like this to Edge? Official Nintendo Magazine gets 10 times as many readers and usually gets first dibs on every Nintendo story in Europe.

The game will probably be shown at Nintendo Conference on June 2nd, so it's possible that Edge Magazine give us some information on June 4th

eso76

Wax Free Vanilla said:
what he says is spot on

all their racing games after formula one '97 have been down right awful in terms of racing and controls

i still don't like the premise with blur,but i strongly disagree. Pgr4 has provided some of the most exciting races ever for me, and racing, controls and feel are a perfect mix. Still an arcade at heart, but one where you can feel cars weight and traction, you can feel when they loose grip and generally speaking they behave in a very coherent way, It's like they coded a realistic driving model and gradually simplified it turning on a few racing aids. Coupled with good AI and decent collision physics (enough to make you want to avoid contact with opponents, generally at least) this makes pgr one of the most rewarding and fun street racers ever for me.

anyway soo...how does it look in pics ? from what i've seen it really does look like pgr4

Top Bottom