• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V, Strange Journey Redux, and Radiant Historia 3DS coming to NA/EU

Lynx_7

+ Save anywhere
+ Difficulty options
+ What looks like event illustrations (although this could just be the OP used in screens/trailers)
+ New music
+ New skills

Save anywhere was talked about during the reveal stream and on the official website.

Oh, I see. Well, that settles it then, I'm gonna play the original first. I'll still check out the remake at a later date if the additional content is as significant as, say, Nocturne Maniax or DS 2 Record Breaker.

Yes, the original portraits (for the main characters) is available as DLC in the Japanese limited edition of the game (to be sold separately later on as well).

As is the norm, this DLC will likely be released separately in the West as well.

That'll look pretty jarring when coupled with the new art, no? Like, I imagine they're not gonna Recarm Kaneko just to make a portrait for the new girl in his style, for example, so you'll have these two clashing artstyles mixed together.
The portraits DLC thing is for Radiant Historia actually.

Oh, right, I didn't read that entire chain and just assumed it was about SMT. Nevermind then lol

Opa-Pa

The portraits DLC thing is for Radiant Historia actually.

And yeah I feel you, I'd just play the original if I were in your place. It's still a fantastic game as is either way.

FluxWaveZ

That'll look pretty jarring when coupled with the new art, no? Like, I imagine they're not gonna Recarm Kaneko just to make a portrait for the new girl in his style, for example, so you'll have these two clashing artstyles mixed together.

Kaneko? He wasn't the original RH artist. Are you talking about Hiroshi Konishi?

Everything is sprites, so portraits reverting back to the original ones wouldn't be very dissonant. Same with the CHANxCO chibi portraits that are part of first-print copies. For Eruca, though, there's the fact that her long hair won't be reflected in the original portrait, so there's that.

Edit: Oh.

SMT4's sales numbers are nowhere near a million. Last I remember it was around 100k in the US and maybe 250k-300k in Japan? I doubt the rest of the world adds another 600k on top of that. Hopefully someone can clarify with actual numbers.
From what I remember it also did rather well for an SMT game (maybe because of the special deal in combination with Fire Emblem?), so I'm sure the numbers for Strange Journey are quite a bit lower.

600k in Mid 2015. So I was wrong but still, somewhere between what you thought it was and what I thought it was. SMT is more popular than people think it is. It's nowhere near the niche that EO and Radiant Historia are.
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/26/shin-megami-tensei-iv-has-sold-over-600000-copies-worldwide/

Lynx_7

600k in Mid 2015. So I was wrong but still, somewhere between what you thought it was and what I thought it was. SMT is more popular than people think it is. It's nowhere near the niche that EO and Radiant Historia are.
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/26/shin-megami-tensei-iv-has-sold-over-600000-copies-worldwide/

SMT HD will obviously blow up the franchise when they make trailers with "From the franchise that originated PERSONA 5" plastered all over it, super slick and atmospheric presentation and, most importantly, featuring Knuckles from the SonicThe Hedgehog™ series. 1 million worldwide easy bb.
BELIEVE!

It's a shame they missed the Switch launch window. Switch owners are desperate enough at this point to buy anything that hits the console so a critically acclaimed RPG would've sold pretty well with no competition around.

NeonZ

+ Save anywhere
+ Difficulty options
+ What looks like event illustrations (although this could just be the OP used in screens/trailers)
+ New music
+ New skills

Save anywhere was talked about during the reveal stream and on the official website.
Atlus hasn't revealed that much outside of what's immediately apparent via trailers, but we know this so far:

-Added demons not present in the original
-New character, Alex, who seems to come with a completely new scenario and ending tied to her
-The game has been remade in what seems to be the SMT4 engine, but retaining its first person view
-All story events are voiced (not in english though)
-Redone art, including portraits for non plot relevant NPCs

If anyone knows other details feel free to add them. I've read a couple of people saying they're adding save everywhere, but I haven't seen any official info about it.

According to the press release for the E3 line up, Strange Journey Redux also has a new dungeon and new endings.

Demon aficionados can look forward to a new Redux trailer. New story content, additional endings, a new dungeon to explore and more await those who wish to brave the spatial distortion known as the Schwarzwelt! Be sure to check out the demos and trailers for a chance to get a colourful assortment of stickers!

As far as demons go, really looking forward to see how they'll handle Maria here. It's technically reused art from SMT NINE, but there she was just an artificial system rather than a direct interpretation of Mary.

SMT HD will obviously blow up the franchise when they make trailers with "From the franchise that originated PERSONA 5" plastered all over it, super slick and atmospheric presentation and, most importantly, featuring Knuckles from the SonicThe Hedgehog™ series. 1 million worldwide easy bb.
BELIEVE!

It's a shame they missed the Switch launch window. Switch owners are desperate enough at this point to buy anything that hits the console so a critically acclaimed RPG would've sold pretty well with no competition around.

Agree, it might do well because of that. Switch owners will be craving such a game, hopefully. There's also the fact that IF it also comes to PS4, Persona fans may be tempted to give it a try as well which would also help sales. Sales are going to go onwards and upwards now, I think.

Boogiepop

Other than the new portraits that everybody seems to hate, what did they actually add to Radiant Historia? I've got a copy of the DS game already that I haven't gotten around to playing yet, and I'm trying to consider if it's worth looking at the updated version at all, or if I should just save myself some money and stick with what I've already got...

xevis

Banned
I basically agree with you, but I thought EOV was a return to that style of immersive make-your-own-story dungeon crawling? And voice acting choices are just for their in-battle grunts and stuff from what I've seen. I'll probably turn them off anyways, I'm not a big fan of voice acting in games.

I want to believe. The narrated trailer didn't do anything for my hopes though.

Dee Dee

Whoooot! I ignored this thread because I am a salty EU pleb, but that title change!!!!
When did these get confirmed for EU release???

Dee Dee

Bless you Deep Silver! ♡

Edit: I know no one cares but I have been buying all the Atlus physical 3DS releases since Deep Silver took over publishing and will keep doing this as long as they put stuff out physically. Guess I'll have to buy EOV despite not liking the series at all, but I'll take it!! Gladly!!

Other than the new portraits that everybody seems to hate, what did they actually add to Radiant Historia? I've got a copy of the DS game already that I haven't gotten around to playing yet, and I'm trying to consider if it's worth looking at the updated version at all, or if I should just save myself some money and stick with what I've already got...

New timeline featuring a new character and story content including various "what if" stories.
New quests
Difficulty options
Fully voiced
Opening animation
New music
New dungeon
Support skill system allowing reserve party members to join in in combat.
Event illustrations
Improved event skipping
Atlus have said that there's about 1.5 times more content overall

Joqu

Bless you Deep Silver! ♡

Edit: I know no one cares but I have been buying all the Atlus physical 3DS releases since Deep Silver took over publishing and will keep doing this as long as they put stuff out physically. Guess I'll have to buy EOV despite not liking the series at all, but I'll take it!! Gladly!!

I care, and have been doing the same thing. Deep Silver has been doing good work and I want it to continue for as long as possible. ♡

Verilligo

I want to believe. The narrated trailer didn't do anything for my hopes though.

If you've played EO1 through EO3, it's literally exactly like them. EO4 had more of a story focus than EO5. Instead the strata are supposedly more heavily populated with events that can happen with more choice over the outcome. In essence, single-tile mini-quests that you never signed up for. At least that's what I remember being described to me.

I just watched the SJ Redux trailer, and I'm really not liking that new character's design--she doesn't gel with what made the original so cool, in my opinion.

Oh, I see. Well, that settles it then, I'm gonna play the original first. I'll still check out the remake at a later date if the additional content is as significant as, say, Nocturne Maniax or DS 2 Record Breaker.

I'm in the same position and I like your style, but I think I'm gonna be in for the redux. My spare time is barely existent anymore, so I'll take my game breaking save anywhere abuse with a smile.

I'm in the same position and I like your style, but I think I'm gonna be in for the redux. My spare time is barely existent anymore, so I'll take my game breaking save anywhere abuse with a smile.

That's probably wise. SJ is a weird game, with an oddly high difficulty for SMT after (and maybe including) Nocturne. There's a lot of SMT 1/2 in its DNA and a good bit of extra Wizardry via Etrian Odyssey too.

Top Bottom