• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Netflix Original Series, Ranked (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playsage

I put off watching Love because it seemed so "meh" but it turned out to be really good.

Bojack on the other hand, watched the first episode and just found it annoying. Don't get the appeal. Kimmy Schmidt too, managed three episodes of that somehow, far too twee and contrived. Shows with characters that don't remotely seem like real human beings seldom appeal to me.
First season of Bojack Horseman plays "the long game". first season goes for a McFarlane-like black comedy show with not much identity, but it's a "lenghty" set up
(6-7 episodes)
for a dark comedy
that is about the main character's severe depression and disorders

daveo42

Banned
1. BoJack
2. Stranger Things

I really haven't watched much else of their original series, but I've heard great things from a handful of shows. Still, I think nothing is going to top BoJack for me. Hilarious, depressing, and scary when you realize it's a fairly accurate portait of the human condition.

I've only watched two , but I'd rank them as

1. Bojack Horseman
2. Stranger things

I fucking love bojack. One of my favorite cartoons ever. Yeah it gets super serious but there's still lots of wacky stuff with todd and mr. peanutbutter to balance it out. And I love the serious stuff. The season 3 finale was fucking great, and season 2 episode 11 was goddam brutal.

Stranger things is good too. Yeah its a bunch of 80's stuff stitched together but to me they did it in a way that made it original. And the kids are great. So is the sheriff.

Hmm. I don't know that I've seen enough Netflix series to have a meaningful ranking. For me so far:

TOP 5

1. House of Cards
2. Stranger Things
3. Orange Is The New Black
4. Marco Polo
5. Narcos

Noteables but not top 5 that I've seen:
- Hemlock Grove Season 1
- Knights of Sidonia
- Daredevil
- Beasts of No Nation
- Jessica Jones
- Bloodline

BOTTOM 3

3. Between - Just seemed bad after the first 2 or 3 episodes.
2. Hemlock Grove Season 3 - What in the fuck happened here? 2 really good seasons and they finish the show off with an awful, rushed conclusion that looks and feels like shit.
1. Sense8 - Made it through the first 4 episodes. I don't have any idea what the fuck is going on here or why. Not sure if worth sticking with or if it recovers from what feels like a genuinely awful start.

I highly recommend Hibana: Spark. With French subs.

Um, where is Terrace House? How do you rep Atelier and Hibana but not Terrace House? :/

I don't think Terrace House qualifies, per the criteria mentioned in the OP. It existed long before Netflix came on and it's also airing on Japanese TV, not just Netflix.

Sojgat

Is Marco Polo good? I rem,ember when it first came out, the reviews kind of trashed it a bit.

It's good.

The characters are fantastic, with the problematic exception of Marco himself, who is very much front and centre. Show is worth watching for Kublai Khan alone though.

Season 2 was a big improvement, giving supporting players more to do. It also had more action, which was very welcome. The show's Fight scenes are pretty much unrivaled for a TV show (and I've seen Into the Badlands).

Boney

Banned
After the second and third season of Orange I have no clue why would anyone consider it worth a damn. First one was pushing interesting boundaries but still endulged itself in cliches and un earned feel good moments.

But I gotta say, Netflix as producer is unbelievable. HBO has also led with top notch quality and a great variety of shows with comedy and drama, but the nature of streaming you can cater too so many different audiences. But nothing is cynic shit.

Bojack is the shit and nothing like Lady Dynamite could ever exist on traditional television. I bet they're one of the most positively valued brand out there.

kevin1025

Banned
I feel bad every time I see Jessica Jones on a list, I just don't see it. I'm glad people liked it, but the way the story unfolded and the character decisions nearly broke me.

Jakoo

In terms of the types of shows that have really stuck with me as memorable over time, my list is probably as follows:

1. Sense8
2. Terrace House: Boys and Girls in the City
3. House of Cards
4. Love
5. Stranger Things

Honorable mentions for Season 1 and 2 of OitNB, Master of None, and that Chelsea Peretti stand-up special.

Boney

Banned
I couldn't watch a single episode of Bojack, it was pure garbage.
First three episodes are actually pretty bad and insufferable in a family guy kind of way. It's known to be a complete turnaround mid season that still manages to make season 1 fantastic. And after that it just never looked back while it crushed you 20 minutes at a time.

emrober5

Stranger Things
Narcos
Daredevil
Wet hot American summer
Making a Murderer

Stranger Things had me hooked instantly. So, so, good.

Ryde3

Haven't seen everything but in terms of my personal enjoyment:

House of Cards
Daredevil
The Get Down
Jessica Jones
Narcos

1 Bojack Horseman. Got better with every new season. The cultural references humor is a Comedy Central wet dream. Not a single boring episode.

2. Orange is the new black. Last season elevated the series, it was feeling really stale after S2.

3. House of Cards. It has had two amazing seasons. It needs to end during the 6th season at most, though.

4. Sense 8. A spectacularly good first season, don't care about the haters.

5. Stranger things. Overhyped and overpraised, but still a great series.

Miletius

There's too much to watch for sure, but here's my top 5 right now.

1) Bojack Horseman
2) Narcos
3) Marco Polo
4) House of Cards
5) Stranger Things

Orange is the New Black kinda fell off for me. I couldn't even get into the new season. For me, it's run it's course.

Jyrii

Banned
1. Orange is the new black
2. House of cards
3. Narcos
4. Stranger things
5. Jessica Jones

I have liked all seasons of OITNB and most seasons of House of cards. S1 of Narcos was excellent, but second was a letdown. Stranger things ep1 was phenomenal, but I felt it wasn't as good after that. S1 of Jessica Jones was good, but had some bad episodes.

I watched the first episode of BoJack Horseman a year ago and hated it.

Show felt like it was just a dumb collection of pop culture references and awful, unrealistic characters, like an undercooked mix of American Dad, Ugly Americans, and Brickleberry. I questioned how it could possibly be so popular and stopped at episode one.

Two weeks ago I decided to BoJack another shot. I watched the first three episodes. Now I'm about to finish season two - this show is amazing. There are still pop culture references and unrealistic characters, but there are also a ton of very clever jokes and realistic depictions of relationships and emotions.

TLDR: If you like animated comedies give BoJack a few episodes before giving up on it.

Sanjuro

...people are putting Narcos at number one? I thought the consensus was it ain't shit.

Bookmarking this thread so I can give my proper list when MST3K comes back!

I couldn't get into bojack. I stopped halfway into the pilot episode. It was like family guy (not a fan) with obscene number of cuts. Does it get any better later in the series?

My Top 5 Favorite Things About Vulture's Ranking

5. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt being in the Top 5
4. Marvel shows not being in the Top 5
3. Bojack Horseman being in the Top 5
2. House of Cards not being in the Top 5
1. Stranger Things being in the Top 5

Sanjuro

I watched the first episode of BoJack Horseman a year ago and hated it.

Show felt like it was just a dumb collection of pop culture references and awful, unrealistic characters, like an undercooked mix of American Dad, Ugly Americans, and Brickleberry. I questioned how it could possibly be so popular and stopped at episode one.

Two weeks ago I decided to BoJack another shot. I watched the first three episodes. Now I'm about to finish season two - this show is amazing. There are still pop culture references and unrealistic characters, but there are also a ton of very clever jokes and realistic depictions of relationships and emotions.

TLDR: If you like animated comedies give BoJack a few episodes before giving up on it.

Bojack is good, but inconsistent. Feels a lot like one of those animated comedies post-Simpsons that were just too strange to find an audience. I'm glad it has been doing well enough to continue.

Valhelm

contribute something
Orange is the New Black is really overrated

After Season 1 it gets too goofy and loses focus. The stories it tells are awesome, and I'm really glad it's being produced, but I'm not sure if it's better than Stranger Things or Kimmy Schmidt.

old

1. Jessica Jones
2. House of Cards
3. Orange is the New Black.
4. Stranger Things
5. Making a Murderer

OnPoint

My top 5

1. Bojack
2. Stranger Things
3. Master of None
4. Daredevil
5. House of Cards

Edit: forgot to include master of none

Davey Cakes

In no specific order:

Bojack Horseman
Kimmy Schmidt
Lady Dynamite
Stranger Things
Wet Hot American Summer

Honorable mentions to:

The Characters
W/Bob & David
Master of None

I'm into the comedy shows more than the dramatic onces. Stranger Things is amazing though.

GeeTeeCee

1) Bojack Horseman
2) House of Cards (season 3 was weak, but s4 recovered well enough)
3) Daredevil
4) Stranger Things
5) Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Honourable mentions:

Marco Polo. S1 was pretty good. S2 was fantastic.
Jessica Jones. Great first half, easily on par with Daredevil. Catastrophically dumb second half.
Master of None. Didn't expect much going in, but found it to be quite enjoyable.

El Topo

Stranger Things
Jessica Jones
Sense8
Orange is the New Black
Daredevil
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Hemlock Grove
Wet Hot American Summer
The Get Down
Between

I cannot or don't want to rank the others, likely because I barely got an impression. Between however is far and away the worst thing they've done, even if it is technically a Canadian show.

Struct09

I couldn't get into bojack. I stopped halfway into the pilot episode. It was like family guy (not a fan) with obscene number of cuts. Does it get any better later in the series?

It gets way better. Sadly it takes about half the first season to find its footing, but ever since then the show has kept its high quality.

mm04

Stranger Things
The Get Down
Voltron
Daredevil
Master Of None
Kimmy Schmidt
House Of Cards
Jessica Jones
The Ranch
Bojack

KraytarJ

1. Bloodlines (only seen season1 but it was just that good)
2. Master of None
3. Stranger Things
4. Bojack Horseman
5. Orange is the New Black (part way through season 4)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
For those of you that like the show Love, try the FX show You're the Worst. It's like Love but
way way way way way way way way way way
better.

I don't really have a top five, but I can't wait for Luke Cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom