• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok people, what are the best Netflix Original series ever?

Select any number of favorites

• Altered Carbon

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • Black Mirror

Votes: 54 22.7%
  • Bojack Horseman

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Cobra Kai

Votes: 65 27.3%
  • Dark

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • Daredevil

Votes: 40 16.8%
  • House of Cards

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • Love, Death and Robots

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • Lucifer

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Master of None

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Mindhunter

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Money Heist

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Narcos

Votes: 40 16.8%
  • Orange Is the New Black

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Ozark

Votes: 51 21.4%
  • Sense8

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Stranger Things

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • The Crown

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • The Haunting of Hill House

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • The OA

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • The Punisher

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • The Queen's Gambit

Votes: 36 15.1%
  • The Umbrella Academy

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • The Witcher

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • When They See Us

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters
*Some are only partially produced by Netflix like Black Mirror and Lucifer

Let's hear it, what do you think are the best Netflix series? Hopefully I did decent job choosing options for the poll but here are some others that were in consideration:

Russian Doll
Tiger King
The Last Dance
Making a Murderer
Our Planet
Lupin
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
Bridgerton
Dead To Me
Santa Clarita Diet
After Life
Disenchantment
Marco Polo
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
You
Bloodline
Castlevania
American Vandal
Sex Education
Big Mouth
GLOW
Unbelievable
Jessica Jones
Alias Grace
The Society
Maniac
Godless
(Peaky Blinders)

My number 1 would be Ozark. Which is strange since crime and drug shows aren't really my thing, but I guess they lend themselves to high stakes and good writing.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

There's a lot I haven't seen.

The Best of the Best:
The Dark Crystal. What an amazing cast. The voicework is tops.
For action the best scenes were with SkekMal. So much drama. Especially the confrontation with Rian and his father.

Watched all the way through(up to date) and like:
Daredevil, The Witcher, The Crown

couple seasons/episodes and like but watched something else and haven't gotten back.
Bojack, Cobra Kai

xrnzaaas

narcos, narcos mexico
breaking bad
trailor park boys
hannibal
From the shows you've mentioned only Narcos shows are the Netflix ones... Netflix overuses the word original.

Ozark is really good despite going a little woke in the latest season and making female characters strong and authoritative and male characters weak.
Santa Clarita Diet was great, it's a shame that it ended with a big cliffhanger.
You (which also didn't start out as a Netflix original) is good Dexter-like show (but with the lead being a clear villain) if you don't mind the LBGT characters (especially the trans character brutally injected into season 1).
Stranger Things was good for two seasons. Season 3 was trash and I probably won't watch season 4.
House of Cards - again, good for only two seasons. It's best to stop there.

Last edited:

INC

From the shows you've mentioned only Narcos shows are the Netflix ones... Netflix overuses the word original.

Ozark is really good despite going a little woke in the latest season and making female characters strong and authoritative and male characters weak.
Santa Clarita Diet was great, it's a shame that it ended with a big cliffhanger.
You (which also didn't start out as a Netflix original) is good Dexter-like show (but with the lead being a clear villain) if you don't mind the LBGT characters (especially the trans character brutally injected into season 1).
Stranger Things was good for two seasons. Season 3 was trash and I probably won't watch season 4.
House of Cards - again, good for only two seasons. It's best to stop there.

No its just me being a dick no not reading property

I'm fan of the original documentaries, more so that their tv series

In terms of quality/consistency I'd have to go with Narcos. While it's not as good without Pablo, it's still an entertaining watch and I'd say there hasn't been a noticeable dip in quality.

T8SC

Gold Member
Castlevania, Carmen Sandiego or The Witcher.

But that list basically shows just how much shit is on Netflix. The typical "Ooooo you NEED to watch this, its amazing", only to be forgotten about 2 month later & nobody talks about it. (Kinda like how GoT ended up).

Edit: Stranger Things S1 was good, the following seasons sucked.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Does Korean originals count? If yes then Uncanny Counter
Man I totally forgot about Kingdom (the zombie show) which was awesome, although I'm not a fan of stretching the story for another season. The show should've ended with the big showdown from season 2.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Good listing of shows in the OP, one really good one that was missed which I highly recommend.

images

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd say Queens Gambit is the best of the best right now. They made a series about Chess that is truely entertaining and amazing.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Hard to say. Of the shows I've seen, none of them have had consistently good seasons. Stranger Things Season 1 is some of the best television ever though and the high point of Netflix's TV catalogue. Captures the spirit of 80s flicks perfectly.

I think a more interesting question would be what is HBO's best series.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
They're all just awful.

Orange is the new black started out interesting, then shit the bed.

House of Cards started amazingly well, then just really, really shit the bed. They should have cancelled it after 14 episodes.

NahaNago

I really want a sequel to love, death , and robots. Honestly would like full blown films of some of those shorts. Stranger things was fun to watch.

Funny to see that When They See Us which has the highest IMDB rating in the list has zero votes. But hey, I haven't watched it either so.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Narcos, very intense and you can recognize the star of the mandalorian in one of the seasons.

SinDelta

For me-

The good-
Stranger Things Season 1 - Great.
Daredevil Season 1 - Amazing.
The Witcher - Ok, but I've seen worse adaptations.
Carmen Sandiego - Legit one of the best cartoons in recent memory.

The bad-
Jessica Jones was terrible. Except the villian who was terrifying, and someone who would be right at home in the Boys. Possibly even worse then Homelander in some ways.
Gen:Lock has absolute fuckery as its entire premise and setting.
Voltron Legendary Defenders burned almost as bad as Game of Thrones Season 8 by the end.
Godzilla Animated Trilogy was terrible and nonsensical even for a giant monster mashup.

Current
Queen's Gambit is pretty nifty so far.

Would have seen Marco Polo but not after it got canceled. I have the same concern with The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance but it at least has the movie that started it.

Also I hear Dark is pretty good? Anyone recommend it?
Likewise a Series of Unfortunate Events?

The Future-
The thing I'm looking forward to the most by far?

Godzilla Singular Point.

Last edited:

thefool

Mindhunter and it's not even close, especially season 1.

Best Black Mirror is all prior to Netflix.

The rest is mostly trite.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Cobra Kai
The Witcher
Peaky Blinders
GLOW
All the Marvel defenders stuff (except Iron Fist)
Stranger Things

I’m kinda realizing I don’t like many Netflix originals since that’s about it over the last what? 5-6 years?

pr0cs

Narcos, easily. I like Cavill but the Witcher was just bland, maybe I was ruined by the books. Stranger Things was fun but being a child of the 80s and watching the show kinda felt off, the first season was good

Black Mirror by a country mile, but the first 2 seasons were BBC productions.

Maybe Stranger Things had they just ended it at S1 with the "Where's Annie?!" moment, but nooooooooooooooooo

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Teenage Bounty Hunters was great but unfortunately it only got one season.

Last edited:
Top Bottom