• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Netflix Original Series, Ranked (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBIYF

Neo Member
I haven't seen Narcos, The Get Down or Marco Polo yet, though all three are in my saved watchlist. Judging from the praise of Narcos, it looks like I should check it out.

What show would people compare Marco Polo too, in terms of tone and atmosphere? Is it like a Vikings or Spartacus?

Out of the Netflix Original Series I've watched, my favorites in order would be...

1. Daredevil
2. Stranger Things
3. House of Cards (after it rebounded)
4. BoJack Horseman
5. Jessica Jones

I'm looking forward to Luke Cage.

1. Bloodline. Most consistent for me. Both seasons 1&2 were tight thrillers with great drama and tension.
2. Sense 8. It's like one of my Japanese anime...but real. So much fun.
3. Stranger Things. Does the 80's callback very well. As someone who grew up in that era it felt genuine. Solid characters and performances.
4. Marco Polo. I'm glad there is a show in this time period. Not entirely historically accurate but it has exciting situations and some good drama. Worth it for production values alone. And the guy who plays Kublai is great.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
My rankings:

1. Orange is the New Black
2. Bojack Horsemen
3. Master of None
4. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
5. House of Cards

Playsage

I can't wrap my head around the fact that Jessica Jones is getting in the top 5 of many users...

Then, the real ranking is:
1. Bojack Horseman
2->n. Everything else

1. Black Mirror --- Not out yet but if its even half as good as the original then it will be number 1.

The article makes it clear up front it's not doing anything beyond an actual Netflix original: this means no reboots, no revivals, etc. This omitted Wet Hot, Peaky Blinders, Black Mirror, Fuller House and so forth.

For those of you that like the show Love, try the FX show You're the Worst. It's like Love but
way way way way way way way way way way
better.

I don't really have a top five, but I can't wait for Luke Cage.

I tried watching you're the worst, didn't care for it but to each their own of course. I enjoy the actors/actresses that are in Love much more.

jph139

I also was really incredibly underwhelmed by the first few episodes of Bojack, but by the end of the first season I loved it. I feel like the following seasons are a bit too... like, the show feels a bit too into itself? It's still a great show, but the back half of the first season is just magical.

It's always funny when GAF remembers that it's opinion on Jessica Jones is in the minority... show was incredibly well received outside of the "superhero TV" community. And even within it in, most places. It's a lot more ambitious and interesting that Daredevil which, while incredibly well executed, is essentially the plot of an arcade game - "Punch your way through ethnic gangs, masked do-gooder!"

spekkeh

Banned
1. Bloodline. Most consistent for me. Both seasons 1&2 were tight thrillers with great drama and tension.
2. Sense 8. It's like one of my Japanese anime...but real. So much fun.
3. Stranger Things. Does the 80's callback very well. As someone who grew up in that era it felt genuine. Solid characters and performances.
4. Marco Polo. I'm glad there is a show in this time period. Not entirely historically accurate but it has exciting situations and some good drama. Worth it for production values alone. And the guy who plays Kublai is great.
This is probably the first time I see someone praising Bloodline season 2, so I might have to get over myself and watch it anyway.

maxcriden

I don't think Terrace House qualifies, per the criteria mentioned in the OP. It existed long before Netflix came on and it's also airing on Japanese TV, not just Netflix.

Hm, I see. Thank you. I guess I figured since it's a revival under new production it would still count, but I suppose it airing on JP TV prevents that. I wonder if that disqualified Good Morning Call, also. FWIW I had some strange recollection that Atelier was on JTV also but I'm probably misremembering.

Woffls

1. The Get Down

I got sooooo into that show and can't wait for season 2. Glad to see it get some good vibes.

smisk

1. Jessica Jones
2. Stranger Things
3. Bojack Horseman
4. Narcos
5. Daredevil/House of Cards - Liked both these at first but lost interest in subsequent seasons. I'd probably give DD the edge.

Edit: Forgot about Love and Master of None. I'd probably put both of those above HoC/DD. As another poster said, DD is well executed (especially the fight scenes) but for some reason never pulled me in. I'd say it's partly because none of the characters are super likeable or interesting, even though I think Bernthal and whoever played Kingpin did fantastic jobs. Still need to finish season 2...

- J - D -

Netflix has been killin it with their original shows. I've very much enjoyed the majority of them. I agree with most of the list, though I would've liked if Sense8 were represented.

Playsage

I also was really incredibly underwhelmed by the first few episodes of Bojack, but by the end of the first season I loved it. I feel like the following seasons are a bit too... like, the show feels a bit too into itself? It's still a great show, but the back half of the first season is just magical.

It's always funny when GAF remembers that it's opinion on Jessica Jones is in the minority... show was incredibly well received outside of the "superhero TV" community. And even within it in, most places. It's a lot more ambitious and interesting that Daredevil which, while incredibly well executed, is essentially the plot of an arcade game - "Punch your way through ethnic gangs, masked do-gooder!"
Except that bland premise+great execution > great premise+bland execution

I always perceived the good reception coming for the pilot episodes more than the season itself, which gets laughably bad in its writing.

Then, Daredevil S2 was received quite well as well and that almost got to "bad Arrow season" level

cHaotix8

Bojack is the Netflix GOAT. It's been consistently good for 3 seasons, which I can't say for House of Cards, OiTNB and the second half of Daredevil season 2.

I guess I'm in the minority who believes that Stranger Things was merely okay. It was a bit of a chore for me to finish towards the end.

Still need to check out Narcos. I've only heard good things about it so my expectations are high.

1. Orange is the New Black
2. Jessica Jones
3. Bojack Horsemen
4. Master of None
5. The Get Down

HM: Daredevil, House of Cards, Stranger Things, Kimmy Schmidt, annnnnnnd NARCOS(season 2 was fire)

Shoutouts to Netflix tho, they legit

1. Orange is the new Black
2. Jessica Jones
3. House of Cards
4. Stranger Things
5. The Get Down

Jessica Jones really needs more love. One of the best modern marvel adaptations. David Tennant is amazing.

LionPride

Banned
Stranger Things
Last Chance U
UKS
Daredevil
JJ
OITNB
I haven't watched Narcos or House of Cards
Literally anything except The Get Down

KodaRuss

I have enjoyed most of what I have seen but these are my favorites so far.

Stranger Things
Love
Daredevil Season 1
Bloodline (only about halfway through Season 1 right now though, but very good start)
Jessica Jones

I guess I need to watch Bojack Horseman. I did not realize it was that highly regarded.

Lkr

Last chance U
House of Cards S01
Bojack
Master of None
Arrested Development s01-s03

House of Cards s01 is the Netflix GOAT

Mulgrok

Jessica Jones is great because it approaches the super hero genre in a direction other than male power fantasy. Although, it has a lot of bloat and the side characters' arcs can get downright cringey. I still applaud it for tackling the themes it does. I wouldn't put it in my top favorite shows though, because the bloat and cringe almost made me stop watching toward the end of the season.

Does House of Cards get good again because S2 was already a let down and I just couldnt get through S3 before throwing in the towel on the show.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I tried watching you're the worst, didn't care for it but to each their own of course. I enjoy the actors/actresses that are in Love much more.

Agreed. I'm glad you like Love, but I find the main actor absolutely repugnant. And not in the ways that he wants me to.

Gillian Jacobs is great, though.

Bladenic

The article makes it clear up front it's not doing anything beyond an actual Netflix original: this means no reboots, no revivals, etc. This omitted Wet Hot, Peaky Blinders, Black Mirror, Fuller House and so forth.

Except Wet Hot is ranked. While AD S4 is not. But Wet Hot started as a movie so perhaps it counts as a first time tv show.

LiamR

Mine looks a bit like this:

1) Daredevil
2) Jessica Jones
3) Making A Murderer
4) House of Cards
5) Bojack Horseman

UrbanRats

I watched the pilot for Bojack and didn't laugh once, found it really dull.
Does it change later on, or is it just not for me? I also get tired of joke-explaining as a meta joke.

Except that bland premise+great execution > great premise+bland execution

I always perceived the good reception coming for the pilot episodes more than the season itself, which gets laughably bad in its writing.

Then, Daredevil S2 was received quite well as well and that almost got to "bad Arrow season" level

The problem with Daredevil and Jessica Jones is the shows are written for binge watching, not episodes. This results in these long and drawn out, often poorly written, stories that would be better served in concise episodes. House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are also subject to this. Long winded seasons with very specific payoffs throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom