• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

antitrop

In terms of map count: COD 4 had amazing maps, so I trust Respawn. In actuality, I don't need a huge count; I need great maps that can be replayed ad infinitum. Maps as good as Lockout, Midship, and Crash. Maps that just never get old.
Call of Duty 4 launched with 8 great maps. Give me that over Ghosts' 14 shitty ones, any day.
Modern Warfare 2 launched with 16, of varying quality.

I have full faith in Respawn that they will deliver quality over quantity, or a balanced mix of both.

Call of Duty 4 launched with 8 great maps. Give me that over Ghosts' 14 shitty ones, any day.

Modern Warfare 2 launched with 16, but I can't remember how many of them were good. Most of them were, I had a lot of fun with MW2.

I have full faith in Respawn.
mw2 had atrocious maps.

Mononoke

Banned
Punching them is great. Lol

Yeah I was saying that yesterday. But I was shooting a soldier on the floor and he jetpacked in the air to avoid fire, and on instinct I swung my fist at the exact moment and punched him right in the air and he went splat. Was so awesome.

ari

Banned
Titanfall is legit. My god.

Just got catapulted in the sky after destroying a titan and gave the ejecting pilot a shotty to the face mid air.

Next big thing in gaming is here.

Mononoke

Banned
Opinions man. MW2 is my favorite COD, and I've played them all a lot.

Surprised, I found MW2 to be one of the most broken games I've ever played. Everything about that game was mess. I remember getting it launch day, and within a day there was a ton of glitches and exploits. I remember the infinite supply drops. And thing is, you would think it would have been fixed and improved as time went on. But eventually IW just gave up.

The balance in that game was terrible. There were perks that stacked killstreaks, that absolutely destroyed the games balance. I remember the long barrel shot guns, dual wield and infinite sprint. The range on those guaranteed death across the map (okay not across, but it was fuckin absurd the length). Those, I know they nerfed. But it was some time.

And I just found the maps in general, to be poorly designed, in terms of spawn points, and how cramped they were. It was the first time where I felt in COD, it doesn't matter how good you are doing, you are going to die. Someone is going to spawn behind you. Someone is going to run into a room 3 seconds after you. I have fond memories of that game, and it's probably the last time I really enjoyed a COD game. But in hindsight, I really think it was a mess of a game, and I'm surprised they released it the way they did.

But I think there was some fundamental design choices that really couldn't be fixed.

I enjoyed 15 of CoD4's 16 maps. Fuck Wetwork.

I really enjoyed Afghan, Estate, Quarry, Rust, and especially Terminal..

Agreed, though I'd probably add Favela, Karachi, and Invasion. Many of MW2's were overly linear and very easy to lock down from mid-map. Narrow chokepoints everywhere.

antitrop

I was wrong, Call of Duty 4 did ship with 16 (great) maps, and had 1 DLC that added 4 more. I was reading the wiki wrong, and I've played so many CoDs over the years I couldn't go by memory.

A far cry from the modern CoDs that ship with a bunch of shitty maps, with plans to add 16 more shitty ones with overpriced DLC every few months.

I would prefer for Respawn to ship Titanfall with the absolute highest quality maps that they can produce, with whatever numbers feels right to them, not to try to adhere to some kind of arbitrary industry standard. Nobody cares if you ship the game with 30 awful maps.

E92 M3

I have full faith in Respawn that they will deliver quality over quantity, or a balanced mix of both.

Ghosts' maps are just full blown garbage in my opinion. Now, if Titanfall will have COD4 level of map caliber with a few snow environments thrown in - I'd be in heaven.

Surprised, I found MW2 to be one of the most broken games I've ever played. Everything about that game was mess. I remember getting it launch day, and within a day there was a ton of glitches and exploits. I remember the infinite supply drops. And thing is, you would think it would have been fixed and improved as time went on. But eventually IW just gave up.

The balance in that game was terrible. There were perks that stacked killstreaks, that absolutely destroyed the games balance. I remember the long barrel shot guns, dual wield and infinite sprint. The range on those guaranteed death across the map (okay not across, but it was fuckin absurd the length). Those, I know they nerfed. But it was some time.

And I just found the maps in general, to be poorly designed, in terms of spawn points, and how cramped they were. It was the first time where I felt in COD, it doesn't matter how good you are doing, you are going to die. Someone is going to spawn behind you. Someone is going to run into a room 3 seconds after you. I have fond memories of that game, and it's probably the last time I really enjoyed a COD game. But in hindsight, I really think it was a mess of a game, and I'm surprised they released it the way they did.

But I think there was some fundamental design choices that really couldn't be fixed.

Lot of hyperbole here. That care package glitch was fixed within a week. As was any major glitch if came across playing it for a couple years.

There were a couple overpowered guns that also got nerfed pretty quickly.

I thought it took COD to a new level of crazy and I loved it, and I never once got a nuke or even tried to get a nuke.

antitrop

Ghosts' maps are just full blown garbage in my opinion. Now, if Titanfall will have COD4 level of map caliber with a few snow environments thrown in - I'd be in heaven.

The saddest part about all that, is that OG-Infinity Ward was able to pull off both the excellent SP campaign and 16 amazing MP maps with one team.

Ghosts had Infauxnity Ward do the SP campaign and Raven do the MP, and even with a developer solely focused on one single aspect of the game, they still put out a bunch of absolutely garbage fucking maps AND a garbage campaign.

CoD4 has my favorite group of on-disk maps in any shooter, next to Halo 2. Almost every single one of them was fucking perfection, and were a shit ton of them. I want that level of map design in Titanfall. You can have all the cool mechanics you want but if the maps are shit, or if there aren't enough of them, game's gonna get old after a short time.

Almost every recent shooter I've played has had disappointing maps. Gears 3 is the only real standout that I can think of, though its map list isn't as long as CoD4's.

ari

Banned
CoD4 has my favorite group of on-disk maps in any shooter. Almost every single one of them was fucking perfection, and were a shit ton of them. I want that level of map design in Titanfall. You can have all the cool mechanics you want but if the maps are shit, or if there aren't enough of them, game's gonna get old after a short time.
I predict expansion dlc all over this game...I mean, why not?

Mononoke

Banned
Lot of hyperbole here. That care package glitch was fixed within a week. As was any major glitch if came across playing it for a couple years.

There were a couple overpowered guns that also got nerfed pretty quickly.

I thought it took COD to a new level of crazy and I loved it, and I never once got a nuke or even tried to get a nuke.

Well I should have clarified, I wasn't suggesting that they didn't fix any of the glitches. They did. I just meant, there were balance issues that pretty much broke the game (IMO) and they just moved on. It would have taken too much re-working to do so. But my point was, the game was poorly balanced on a fundamental level.

If you don't agree, that's fine. Opinions and what not. But I think MW2 was an experience that was all over the place.

antitrop

Modern Warfare was a classic. It still holds up today.
I played it recently and only the AC-130 mission had lost its excitement (novel for the time, but being an invincible death machine from the sky doesn't provide for compelling gameplay, it's super boring now), everything else was still amazing.

Well I should have clarified, I wasn't suggesting that they didn't fix any of the glitches. They did. I just meant, there were balance issues that pretty much broke the game (IMO) and they just moved on. It would have taken too much re-working to do so. But my point was, the game was poorly balanced on a fundamental level.

If you don't agree, that's fine. Opinions and what not. But I think MW2 was an experience all over the place.

At least the netcode in MW2 was fucking amazing. They fucked it up so bad since then.

agreed, but i loved every minute of it. Akimbo shotguns were the worst/best.

Climbing the maintenance building on Terminal and going to town with OMA+Grenade Launcher never got old.

Mononoke

Banned
At least the netcode in MW2 was fucking amazing. They fucked it up so bad since then.

To be fair, I still have fond memories of MW2. It was actually the last COD game I can actually say I enjoyed. For all the issues I had with it, I thought it was a really fun game. I just disagree that it was better than MW.

But I can see why some would love it. I guess upon reflecting on it, the game was pretty over the top (in the good kind of way). And while I didn't think the maps were as well design as MW (I mean in terms of balance), the maps were still likable and memorable. I really haven't liked a lot of maps from the recent COD releases. Most of them are forgettable.

You guys are also right about the netcode. Ghost's is fuckin abysmal.

antitrop

I predict expansion dlc all over this game...I mean, why not?

The recent CoD map-packs have all been half-assed, because they're still on a rapid 1-2 year-dev cycle. Overworking the fuck out of Raven and Treyarch with those.

I'm assuming it will be at least 2-3 years for a Titanfall sequel, which should give them plenty of time to make actually respectable DLC packs that are worth the price.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm totally okay with DLC for this game, IF the main game ships with a decent amount of maps. It will be insulting if the game comes out with only 8-10 maps, and then they have 5 map DLC 3-4 months later. Since this is a game where the Dev 100% focused on MP (to the point that a full blown campaign is being left out), I think it would be inexcusable to ship the game with a small amount of maps, only to have DLC right around the corner form launch.

But I am totally open to this game having a lot of DLC. If the maps are all quality, and the DLC matches up to that, I feel like Titanfall should be the kind of MP experience that is always growing.

E92 M3

The saddest part about all that, is that OG-Infinity Ward was able to pull off both the excellent SP campaign and 16 amazing MP maps with one team.

Ghosts had Infauxnity Ward do the SP campaign and Raven do the MP, and even with a developer solely focused on one single aspect of the game, they still put out a bunch of absolutely garbage fucking maps AND a garbage campaign.

Exactly - half the reason I am excited for Titanfall is because of the development legacy behind it.

CoD4 has my favorite group of on-disk maps in any shooter, next to Halo 2. Almost every single one of them was fucking perfection, and were a shit ton of them. I want that level of map design in Titanfall. You can have all the cool mechanics you want but if the maps are shit, or if there aren't enough of them, game's gonna get old after a short time.

Almost every recent shooter I've played has had disappointing maps. Gears 3 is the only real standout that I can think of, though its map list isn't as long as CoD4's.

Yep. My thoughts exactly; Halo 2 and COD4 had the best maps on a disk. In fact, I've enjoyed every single map that came with COD4. It was such a fantastic game -- and to think: I had absolutely zero hype for it and bought it on a whim.

I'm totally okay with DLC for this game, IF the main game ships with a decent amount of maps. It will be insulting if the game comes out with only 8-10 maps, and then they have 5 map DLC 3-4 months later. Since this is a game where the Dev 100% focused on MP (to the point that a full blown campaign is being left out), I think it would be inexcusable to ship the game with a small amount of maps, only to have DLC right around the corner form launch.

This is what I'm worried about. Map count is kind of a big deal for a $60 MP-only shooter and I haven't read anything official on the subject. Really hoping this is clarified well before launch. Can't have another Shadowrun situation (arguably GOAT mechanics, abysmal content).

antitrop

I feel bad for shitting on Raven, because they put out some amazing games, before everyone got fired and the studio was reformed to be assimilated as part of the CoD assembly line.

But there is really no excuse for what they did with Ghosts MP.

Like Infinity Ward, they're Raven in name only, now.

That feel when you're spawning Rangers side against a good team and one of them Tac Inserts on top of your building :/
I used to love doing that
163.gif

I loved MW2, definitely my favourite Call of Duty game. I played so much Search and Destroy and it had some great maps suited for that mode, especially Terminal.

Mononoke

Banned
I didn't mean to be disrespectful, I can understand where you guys are coming from with MW2. I just thought the game was really broken with balance issues, especially compared to MW. That said, I agree the game was fun to play, and the maps were great. I really shouldn't have tried to debate someone's opinion, because it's their opinion. It's not like what someone's favorite game is up for debate. I feel like it was bad form to go on a rant, when someone is just expressing that they like something.

Plus it seems like I'm in the minority with my views on MW2.

If you have a good friend that has the Alpha you can get it as well. Just sign in on your box with there account. Download the alpha. Then while on there account set your console as home console the sign out. You both will have it and can play at the same time. Also home console can be changed at anytime. You can do this to share any game.That is what I did.

So, I've been looking into this for a while and it seems legit, the best I found officially is this. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/my-home-xbox

Particularly this,

If you have multiple Xbox One consoles, or you regularly use consoles belonging to friends or family, you most likely want to designate the most frequently used console as the home Xbox.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken as I am about to do this with a friend.

Edit: Also, it seems that you can only change your home console 3 times a year but if you are really nice to support they will give you 3 more.

simples

Banned
cod 4 > black ops > mw2 > black ops 2 > mw3 > waw > dog shit > ghosts

1 & 2 don't count they are before the cod4 game changers. but both are excellent somewhere between black ops and mw2

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't mean to be disrespectful, I can understand where you guys are coming from with MW2. I just thought the game was really broken with balance issues, especially compared to MW. That said, I agree the game was fun to play, and the maps were great. I really shouldn't have tried to debate someone's opinion, because it's their opinion. It's not like what someone's favorite game is up for debate. I feel like it was bad form to go on a rant, when someone is just expressing that they like something.

No I completely agree with you. I think MW2 is fucking dreadful and the third worst COD after 3 and MW3. Ghosts gets far too much shit. It's not fantastic by any means but it didn't alter the whole core of the franchise which MW2 did and I consider that a bigger sin.

As much as I hate it though I'm still excited for Titan fall. They made COD1, COD2, COD4 and MoH Allied Assault so I can't exactly hate them.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
is all this talk about call of duty due to them making cod 4 or because titanfall feels like cod??

I REALLY REALLY dont want another cod type game. I'm just gonna get it on pc, I darent risk buying an xbox one for it

Mononoke

Banned
is all this talk about call of duty due to them making cod 4 or because titanfall feels like cod??

I REALLY REALLY dont want another cod type game. I'm just gonna get it on pc, I darent risk buying an xbox one for it

More so because they made MW. It's being brought up, because they were responsible for making MW best maps. And since we have no idea how many maps this game ships with, we are just speculating on how many and the quality.

HariKari

You aren't. MW2 featured some of the most broken mechanics the shooter genre has ever seen, like commando pro and scavenger with a noob tube. It was 'fun' but it was really half the game COD4/MW1 was. And, if you were a PC player, you probably have a really big soft spot for MW1, considering what came after.

I would buy a MW1 style Titanfall game. I wouldn't really be interested in a MW2+ style game. Early gunplay doesn't seem all that promising for that angle.

I sure hope they do a beta for PC.

Nokterian

I played it recently and only the AC-130 mission had lost its excitement (novel for the time, but being an invincible death machine from the sky doesn't provide for compelling gameplay, it's super boring now), everything else was still amazing.

All Ghilled up...lord that mission. Still amazing.

wotta

Titanfall kind of dissapoint me having no single player

Totally agree with this. I'm also worried that there may be a lack of content considering no-one has even bothered to mention this.

Seems to me if it's just 6 vs 6 over 5 or so maps it'll get boring quickly. Why are EA/Respawn so slow to reveal more about the game?

Top Bottom