• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAKE: God of War (sadly) appears on steam mobile application

kFNzuVi.png

I would love for it to be true but the banner isn't consistent height with other items and the God Of War text is somewhat cropped. Again I would be the happiest person out there, if it came to PC but this one looks fake.
Think most of us get it's a joke.

Lux R7

kFNzuVi.png

I would love for it to be true but the banner isn't consistent height with other items and the God Of War text is somewhat cropped. Again I would be the happiest person out there, if it came to PC but this one looks fake.

yeah, i would not be surprised.

splattered

Its actually not a joke, this is coming from people's steam app screens.

And everyone can already quit with the "This is fine, Sony is only releasing 3 year old games on PC"

Just come to terms with day and date already and be done with it.

Anyone can follow this logic?

PS5 is back compatible with PS4 & MS is pushing smart delivery => current gen games play at higher resolution and frame rate on the new console => Sony cannot sell remasters=>less money => find a new way to sell remaster => Port to PC.

Remasters were a good money for sony this gen. They want to keep that money coming. I expect TLOU2 on PC in late 2021 early 2022.

Anyway, I like Sony 1st party games and will play them on release on PS5. I can't wait 2 or 3 years. Sony will never ever release their 1st party on the same year on PC.

Its actually not a joke, this is coming from people's steam app screens.

And everyone can already quit with the "This is fine, Sony is only releasing 3 year old games on PC"

Just come to terms with day and date already and be done with it.
No it won't. Not even 3rd party care to release their game day and date on PC. Rockstar need to do it before sony even think about it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is fake. However, I would not be surprised at all if God of War does come to PC. Cory Balrog has mentioned/hinted at least 3 times (that I can remember) that he both wishes it could come to PC and has implied that it will happen.

When Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding and Halo MCC all sell incredibly well on PC and Steam in particular, Sony would be daft to not come up with some sort of strategy that involves bringing games over to PC at some point (although I can practically guarantee not day 1 with PS consoles like Xbox).

I expect an announcement by the end of the year about it and PC plans in general (or maybe not because they are marketing PS5 on the exclusives, but definitely some sort of PS first party PC plan will come within a year)

Also, I really do not understand why this is "sadly." Games being accessible to more people is a great thing, and you should be happy that more people get to play a game you enjoyed.

splattered

No it won't. Not even 3rd party care to release their game day and date on PC. Rockstar need to do it before sony even think about it.

Rockstar puts out a new game like once every 6 years, you can't compare the two.

As you said yourself, Sony needs the money.

Between their current PC port successes and seeing Microsoft do it as well there is no reason for Sony not to follow suit and maximize engagement and profit.

It's definitely going to require an adjustment period for Sony diehards but hopefully the whining and bitching doesn't last too long before the mental gymnastics phase eventually leading to peaceful acceptance.

Ivory Blood

That rumor actually has several credible sources behind it, this is just some random idiot on Twitter who used photoshop for 2 minutes.
What are the credible sources? All I remember are threads on /v/ full of people laughing at other people hoping for it to be true. All based on a tweet from some furry.

Oh hail no! Not in my house! I'm boycotting everything. Steam, Sony, my neighbor (because why not).

I'm kidding. I don't care.

Last edited:
I’m sure it and more are coming at some point to PC. I mean first Horizon: Zero Dawn and then Death Stranding, so why not? I’m sure this will probably make Sony some money, but they do have to be very careful on how and when they release these former PlayStation exclusives.

If they eventually pull a Microsoft and release their console exclusives on the same day or much sooner on PC, imho that could really hurt the appeal of their PS5 which is known for it’s exclusives. The Microsoft PC releases I feel are one of the primary factors that probably hurt the appeal of the XBOX.

REDRZA MWS

Rockstar puts out a new game like once every 6 years, you can't compare the two.

As you said yourself, Sony needs the money.

Between their current PC port successes and seeing Microsoft do it as well there is no reason for Sony not to follow suit and maximize engagement and profit.

It's definitely going to require an adjustment period for Sony diehards but hopefully the whining and bitching doesn't last too long before the mental gymnastics phase eventually leading to peaceful acceptance.

I don’t get why “Sony diehards” would give a second thought let alone care. The games will obviously be day 1 on PS consoles, what do they care if Sony also sells their games on PC?Uts just a no brain business move for Sony, and if cross play is enabled the PS community will have even bigger communities.

The old way of thinking was selling hardware SO they could sell more software. If you incorporate PC and the countless sale opportunities, it makes hardware numbers less important. It’s not like Sony or MS make any money from hardware anyway.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t get why “Sony diehards” would give a second thought let alone care. The games will obviously be day 1 on PS consoles, what do they care if Sony also sells their games on PC?Uts just a no brain business move for Sony, and if cross play is enabled the PS community will have even bigger communities.

The old way of thinking was selling hardware SO they could sell more software. If you incorporate PC and the countless sale opportunities, it makes hardware numbers less important. It’s not like Sony or MS make any money from hardware anyway.
The theory is if you release games on different platforms, nobody is going to buy into the console ecosystem anymore. So if a Sony game goes to PC, PS gamers will go PC. If the game also goes for Xbox, PS gamers will go to Xbox.

PhoenixTank

I'd like it to be true - it'd be the second game on my wishlist from the PS4 lineup potentially coming to PC.

That said I think it is a shoop.
On top of A akS^ 's eagle eyed post. the actual "Top Wishlists" section is in order like this:

Cyberpunk, HZD, Dying Light 2.
They've replaced HZD's banner with GoW, which is very suspect.

In addition, how in the fresh hell would a GoW listing be third in the most wishlisted section if nobody can see the real listing? This is an automated section - nobody outside of Valve can "oops" it into that list.

Keihart

Since this is not Decima and it's another first party, color me impressed.
I knew that Yosp not being in WWS would bring change. Not so sure about the future of sony first party if we see more of this, why? because even if it's true that you can attract more people into the PS ecosystem this also means that you are liberating people from the ecosystem. I wonder if this is to try and grab some of that people that don't buy consoles into the PS5 or if they are considering going the way of MS.

I bet you this is not to simply sell more copies, there has to be a long term strategy for it.

Anyone can follow this logic?

PS5 is back compatible with PS4 & MS is pushing smart delivery => current gen games play at higher resolution and frame rate on the new console => Sony cannot sell remasters=>less money => find a new way to sell remaster => Port to PC.

Remasters were a good money for sony this gen. They want to keep that money coming. I expect TLOU2 on PC in late 2021 early 2022.

Anyway, I like Sony 1st party games and will play them on release on PS5. I can't wait 2 or 3 years. Sony will never ever release their 1st party on the same year on PC.

With the way things at going in the gaming industry, never say never. I’m sure there were people who thought Microsoft games would not come to PC on day one or we would see Nintendo mobile games as well. I doubt Sony first party games will be available on day one, but if the demand or sales are there, then I think it could happen which imho could hurt the PlayStation brand and appeal. Sony has to rely on console sales more than Microsoft.

Since this is not Decima and it's another first party, color me impressed.
I knew that Yosp not being in WWS would bring change. Not so sure about the future of sony first party if we see more of this, why? because even if it's true that you can attract more people into the PS ecosystem this also means that you are liberating people from the ecosystem. I wonder if this is to try and grab some of that people that don't buy consoles into the PS5 or if they are considering going the way of MS.

I bet you this is not to simply sell more copies, there has to be a long term strategy for it.

GoW on PS4 has sold all the copies it's going to sell, realistically. Why not sell it again on PC where you appeal to a new audience (PC only players) and double-dippers (PS owners with a PC)? This way they get free marketing for GoW2 and sell another few million copies of the original.

This is different to Microsoft strategy of releasing games day and date on both console.

Stuart360

I love this 'idea' that they are releasing the games on PC so that PC gamers will buy a PS5 for the sequel lol. Well it doesnt work like that with PC gamers, and i'm sure Sony know that. There is a much bigger chance thet they are releasing these games on PC because they plan to release the sequels on PC, possibly day and date.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not really a fan of the recent GoW and Ascension. But played GoW 1 and 2 on PS2. Great games. First time playing GoW 1 and getting to the big headed hydra doing that cool blur scream, cool as shit.

Now if only GoW 3 could go multiplat! Best boss battles ever in any action game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I love this 'idea' that they are releasing the games on PC so that PC gamers will buy a PS5 for the sequel lol. Well it doesnt work like that with PC gamers, and i'm sure Sony know that. There is a much bigger chance thet they are releasing these games on PC because they plan to release the sequels on PC, possibly day and date.

I'm a PC gamer, and I buy Sony consoles so I can have the best of both worlds for games not on the PC. As does my good friend of 20+ years.

🤷‍♀️

I have yet to play my copy of HZD that I got for dirt cheap, so I may just hold out and play it on the PC, then buy the PS5 for the sequel as well as other games not on the PC.

Stuart360

Not really a fan of the recent GoW and Ascension. But played GoW 1 and 2 on PS2. Great games. First time playing GoW 1 and getting to the big headed hydra doing that cool blur scream, cool as shit.

Now if only GoW 3 could go multiplat! Best boss battles ever in any action game.
GOW 3 is amazing. I would much rather that come to PC. Tried the new GOW on PSNow and it was boring. That was partly due to PSNow being shit, and taking away its graphics. Still GOW 3 is amazing.

Stuart360

I'm a PC gamer, and I buy Sony consoles so I can have the best of both worlds for games not on the PC. As does my good friend of 20+ years.

🤷‍♀️

I have yet to play my copy of HZD that I got for dirt cheap, so I may just hold out and play it on the PC, then buy the PS5 for the sequel as well as other games not on the PC.
Yes and i even know a PC gamer that has aXB1. When you're talking 180mil Steam users a month, and thats just on Steam, you're going to get PC gamers that do that obviously, but on the whole, PC gamers wouldnt touch a console, and 1 or 2 games they fancy wouldnt change that. Hell there are PC gamers that wont even buy a Denuvo infested game until its removed, moinths or even years later.
Fact is its a silly theory, and its much more likely that they plan to release the sequels on PC as well.

teezzy

Banned

Right? Lord forbid Sony is just finally recognizing they've been ignoring a substansial demographic of potential consumers. We'll gladly get excited over your 4 year old ports. We are the PC MASTER RACE, after all!! 😅

Banned
GOW 3 is amazing. I would much rather that come to PC. Tried the new GOW on PSNow and it was boring. That was partly due to PSNow being shit, and taking away its graphics. Still GOW 3 is amazing.

GOW3 is way better indeed.
the new one is a mediocre action adventure and missed all the spectacle of the old games

Valentino

Can someone just clarify for me, I’m genuinely not in the know about this- do people get bummed out if an exclusive goes on to PC? - years later?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
GOW3 is way better indeed.
the new one is a mediocre action adventure and missed all the spectacle of the old games
I found the boss battles on YT boring as hell with the recent game. Went on too long and without the crazy Medusa's and Hydras, the fights seemed boring. It was like Kratos fighting WWE Sheamus 5 battles in a row. Maybe there were other big fights, but I didn't bother watching them all.

But for the older GoW games, I've watched those boss fights many times.

Double Hades fight is awesome too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes and i even know a PC gamer that has aXB1. When you're talking 180mil Steam users a month, and thats just on Steam, you're going to get PC gamers that do that obviously, but on the whole, PC gamers wouldnt touch a console, and 1 or 2 games they fancy wouldnt change that. Hell there are PC gamers that wont even buy a Denuvo infested game until its removed, moinths or even years later.
Fact is its a silly theory, and its much more likely that they plan to release the sequels on PC as well.

Ah yes, those strong willed PCMRs.

Boycott-Modern-Warfare-2.jpg

Top Bottom