• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu #876: PSP Katamari + other stuff

I love Katamari coming to PSP. And even if it doesn't get brought to NA for some reason, i can still import. The one thing that worries me is that someone said the style might change somehow, and none of the Katamari in those screenshots are big ones. I hope I'm wrong.

Bebpo

Banned
Sgt. Killjoy said:
I love Katamari coming to PSP. And even if it doesn't get brought to NA for some reason, i can still import. The one thing that worries me is that someone said the style might change somehow, and none of the Katamari in those screenshots are big ones. I hope I'm wrong.

There's a pic where he's picking up houses. That's pretty damn big already. :) Only thing bigger is the whole landpieces/rainbows/clouds thing. But if they can get that big already on the PSP, one step higher shouldn't be so hard.

Ironclad

Katamari PSP looks great. Control scheme should work just fine.

Even though the game from the first pic kind of look like Kalas, it seems that they're going with a whole new cast of characters for Baten Kaitos II. Not a bad move at all because the characters in the first one wrapped up well enough. I'm looking forward to this.

AC Zero looks great too. Damn good stuff.

Bebpo

Banned
Here's some quick stuff I got from translating the Katamari article

...In the PSP version, there's Paradise Island, a remote where animals lived happily, but when a tidal wave comes and floods the island, a lone turtle sent adrift. This singular turtle lands on the Prince's Island, where he retells the story of the tragedy. Being the nice guy he is, the kind prince swears to rebuild the animals' island.

A big change in the gameplay is that time of day and seasons change while you're playing. For example, you can go back to the beach in the winter and the level's become a snowy ice lake. Namco seems to be really taking advantage of the possibilities of portability here.

One of the new locations shown is a haunted house, and you can even play as other characters by rolling them up ala We Love Katamari

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143712

Bebpo said:
There's a pic where he's picking up houses. That's pretty damn big already. :) Only thing bigger is the whole landpieces/rainbows/clouds thing. But if they can get that big already on the PSP, one step higher shouldn't be so hard.

Damn i missed that. Didn't close enough. Now i have to buy a PSP.

acklame

A big change in the gameplay is that time of day and seasons change while you're playing. For example, you can go back to the beach in the winter and the level's become a snowy ice lake. Namco seems to be really taking advantage of the possibilities of portability here.
sounds cool.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
the season changing thing sounds cool. i'm more interested in how the controls will be like since there's only 1 analog nub...

Bebpo

Banned
Mrbob said:
What does it say about Samurai Warriors PSP?

Not much really. It has the small areas from Dynasty PSP. The only thing neat is 4p co-op which would actually be pretty fun if you could find 3 other people with PSPs and the game :\

Mrbob

Bebpo said:
Not much really. It has the small areas from Dynasty PSP. The only thing neat is 4p co-op which would actually be pretty fun if you could find 3 other people with PSPs and the game :\

Nice! Won't be a problem for me to get at least two player co-op going. Awesome. I love the small areas of Dynasty Warriors. I prefer the setup to the console versions by breaking up the large areas into smaller chunks! Does it say anything about the frame rate being improved? Less pop and less fog I hope!

Bebpo

Banned
Sholmes said:
Now do Ace Combat Zero

There's really nothing. News will go up about it but in terms of concrete details it's just that the game is 15 years before ACV and your a merc in a war. There is zero info about the gameplay.

Bebpo

Banned
drohne said:
lazy ass koei. maybe they'll get it right for the next psp musou.

I don't think it's them being lazy. It'd be easier just to port it whole rather than cut up the areas into small pieces. I don't think the PSP can handle it at their current programming level.

To be fair I never played the PSP one so I dunno if it works or not.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mrbob said:
No way. The way the action is broke up in DW psp rox!!

i agree. although seeing how many people hated DW PSP, i think we're in the minority. i thought DW on PSP was fine the way it is. there's a bit of strategy involved too by choosing the right path on the map screen

i'm not a hardcore DW fan though (i only played DW4 on PS2 in a rental), so maybe that's why i thought it wasn't too bad

Bebpo

Banned
acklame said:
now do xenosaga ep3

Duckroll already did that in the other thread :p Plus I'm still bitter that it looks like ep2 the sequel so I don't really want to spend effort on it >_<

Bebpo

Banned
Here's the translation/info on the PSP/DS games in the first post.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143735

....Next up is the odd but interesting Portable Resort, where you're alone on an island, well, do whatever you want! You can walk around and check out the views as time passes in real-time, collect items and start your own collection, feed, lye in a hammock or even play Ukulele with your PSP's face buttons. Weirdly, the game can also double as a soothing alarm clock, softly fading out soothing ocean breezes and sounds of the island. Definitely an odd choice for a PSP game, but sometimes different is good.

duckroll

acklame said:
now do xenosaga ep3

Ok let's see:

Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra is Monolithsoft's final entry in the trouble-laden Xenosaga series. The game will continue to take key themes from Nietzsche's books for the background of the story, in this case featuring themes such as "the uberman" and "eternal return".

Taking place a year after the conclusion of Xenosaga Episode II, this game will once again feature Shion and her friends as they start a new adventure to unravel all the mysteries of the series once and for all. While all the mysteries presented in the Xenosaga series should see a conclusion in this game, the ones most central to the plot will be Shion's past 14 years ago in Miltia and KOS-MOS' real reason for protecting Shion and the nature of KOS-MOS' "heart".

Plotwise, much has changed since the end of Episode II, with the appearance of more E.S. mechs in the world as well as Shion joining up with the underground resistance group Scantia. While investigating her ex-employers Vector Industries, she undercovers plans to activate KOS-MOS as well as the mysterious android T-elos. What is Vector's true motive and where does it all lead?

Their journey in Episode III will lead the characters to various exotic sci-fi locations such as the massive facility that closely resembles Vector's logo, a city resembling a present-day one as well as locations related to Project Zohar. The Zohar Emulators will play a central part in the story's conclusion as they are finally released from their shielding cases. It also seems like Jin acquires an E.S. mech of his own, one armed with dual swords, in what seems to be the beginning of a robot swordfight with an enemy E.S. unit. Who is that mysterious Vector android and what is her purpose, it is likely that her relation to KOS-MOS will have much to do with the shocking revelations the final episode has installed.

Gameplay-wise there have been several changes from the previous episode. It seems that Monolithsoft has taken heed of many of the complaints longtime fans of the series had with Episode II. Tech-attacks are back in the Character Battles of Episode III and they promise that each character will once again have many cool and unique attacks as those seen in Episode I. Robot Battles will also be improved with many more mechs in the roaster so players have more to choose from. It is confirmed that the dual-blade E.S. is a playable mech and it would be a no brainer for it to be Jin's. Monolithsoft promises that the battles will be speedier than ever, and for the Robot Battles there will be more gauges and other visual displays that make the battles look even more like the ones remembered fondly in Xenogears. Another addition to the gameplay is that while exploring towns now, various NPCs talking to you will have their dialogue windows automatically popping up as you move near them, making it a more natural and lively experience.

Zeo

Banned
Amir0x said:
Oh God, Portable Resort sounds like Animal Crossing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

Then it could be terrific! :D

Himuro said:
PSP is finally catching steam but I still don't regreat selling mine.

You know, I really gotta ask. Not just PSP, but DS, Xbox, PS2, whatever it may be.

But why would you buy a console at launch and sell it soon after because of a dry period of games? It's like that for EVERYTHING after it launches.

AniHawk said:
So they're not gonna do the full 6, eh?

Prolly for the best.

Now that they've decided to end the series at 3 instead of 6 Murphy's law will end up kicking into gear and Xenosaga 3 will correct the huge flaws from the previous 2, and of course we'll be left wishing for the other 3 games :D

Bebpo

Banned
Here's my translation of the BK II stuff with a little ACZero. Main lead actually seems a bit interesting:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143739

...Baten Kaitos II involves lead character Sagi, a member of the imperial empire's elite assassination squad. Usually a happy guy, Sagi's also willing to make sacrifices and kill for money. As in the first game, Sagi has a spirit residing within him...

Hyoushi

Hmm, Bebpo, I wondered about the "teamwork" section of the second ACZ page. Couldn't work out if it implied that you could play co-op or if it just showed that you could colorise your wingman, heh!

Bebpo

Banned
Hyoushi said:
Hmm, Bebpo, I wondered about the "teamwork" section of the second ACZ page. Couldn't work out if it implied that you could play co-op or if it just showed that you could colorise your wingman, heh!

I'm guessing you're talking about the 2nd page of those scans not-from-famitsu. Since there aren't any high-res versions of those scans I can't see any of the text and thus I can't get any info from it. The 2nd page of these scans just shows the various planes and gives some background on what type of plane it is :(

ourumov

I am not a big fan of Katamari but the PSP one looks cool. And of course ACZ takes the lead. Awesome graphics :)
I would love them to do an AC title in the Cold War...kinda MGS3 did with the MGS series :)

Top Bottom