• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Zero TV |OT| Now 100% mollusk free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
b017.jpg

b019s.jpg

b021s.jpg

Good.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Spoilers are bad. Any discussion of non-F/Z stuff should be very clearly tagged AND kept to a minimum if used at all. Speculation should be kept to information presented only in the anime. Any spoilers of any kind at all take from the novels should not be allowed, even tagged. That's how I feel.

Or at least tagged with a giant warning specifically noting that they are indeed novel spoilers.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
What I'm most looking forward to is seeing how the bike changes from the normal V-MAX design to the one they've been pimping for Fate/Zero since the show started airing. It just looks so crazy.

From this:

to this:

That's what I want to know.

kewlmyc

God, the last two episode have been great. So much more plot development in the last two episodes than in most of the season 1 episodes.
Tokomi's face when Kirei stabbed him was priceless
Can't wait for more.

duckroll

the images are all background with no real plot heavy stuff. Idk.. I could be wrong but for some reason I feel like this is going to be longer than one episode...

Hmmm. I dunno, I'm usually happy when there are no spoilers in the preview images. The animation director is the same person who worked on Ep10 (Rin's Adventure), and they've been talking about this Kiritsugu episode for a long time now, so I'm not sure if it makes sense for it to be more than one episode.

We'll find out this weekend I guess. I'm excited!

kayos90

Hmmm. I dunno, I'm usually happy when there are no spoilers in the preview images. The animation director is the same person who worked on Ep10 (Rin's Adventure), and they've been talking about this Kiritsugu episode for a long time now, so I'm not sure if it makes sense for it to be more than one episode.

We'll find out this weekend I guess. I'm excited!

Ugh... I didn't like that Rin episode... Not the direction, just the content and the fact that they took an entire episode for Rin. I found it immersion breaking.

duckroll

Ugh... I didn't like that Rin episode... Not the direction, just the content and the fact that they took an entire episode for Rin. I found it immersion breaking.

Bah. I loved it. :(

The staff put a lot of effort into the atmosphere and the sound direction for that episode. It also explored certain art styles and cinematic techniques which they don't get to generally use in the normal episodes of the series. I expect it to be the same here, which is why I'm pretty excited. I love the variety of things covered in Fate/Zero, and the different tones that Ufotable are able to tackle, so episodes which break away from the normal style simply add to that imo.

Also, this episode is storyboarded and directed by Takashi Suhara again. :D

kayos90

Bah. I loved it. :(

The staff put a lot of effort into the atmosphere and the sound direction for that episode. It also explored certain art styles and cinematic techniques which they don't get to generally use in the normal episodes of the series. I expect it to be the same here, which is why I'm pretty excited. I love the variety of things covered in Fate/Zero, and the different tones that Ufotable are able to tackle, so episodes which break away from the normal style simply add to that imo.

Also, this episode is storyboarded and directed by Takashi Suhara again. :D

Oh, well, I have hopes then. I loved Episode 16, my second favorite in the series so far. Like I said, I liked the direction for Rin's Episode. I just didn't like that they needed to taken an entire episode to cover what was going on.

Just saw the episode preview images, and I'm getting extremely hyped. I think it's the atmosphere of the images portrayed, but I have the feeling this episode is going to be absolutely amazing.

duckroll

http://www.fate-zero.jp/story/index.html#STORY18

The official site has one extra preview pic for ep18. There's something really interesting going on with the preview pics this week. This is the first episode so far in the entire series where the preview pics only have a single screen showing a character's face. In the past, pretty much every single preview screen is a close-up on a character, here we are looking at one such screen, and the rest are all background shots. What could this mean...?

We'll find out in 24 hours! :D

duckroll

Hmm... I'm no expert on these Banpresto prize figure things, but apparently when they first announced their intention to make these figures, it was supposed to be a set of three to be released in June:

oRHDy.jpg

Somewhere along the way, either they changed their plans, or this Servant set is in addition to this? Are they different line-ups? Man, merchandising can be so confusing sometimes! The Servant set has the same release date - June 2012.

Fate Zero 18

When they said
Dead Apostle
I was kind of hoping my favorite executor would make her appearance but oh well I can live with that.
At first I thought Kerry's father would be different from the usual mage but after what happened to the village and his reaction to the events, I wasn't even surprised that he was marked more like I was kind of expecting it. =/

So I'm guessing the next episode is a continuation of this one?

Fate Zero 18

When they said
Dead Apostle
I was kind of hoping my favorite executor would make her appearance but oh well I can live with that.
At first I thought Kerry's father would be different from the usual mage but after what happened to the village and his reaction to the events, I wasn't even surprised that he was marked more like I was kind of expecting it. =/

So I'm guessing the next episode is a continuation of this one?

Your favorite executor is a baker at this point in time.

As for this episode, sogood.gif. I'll write about it after I watch it like ten more times.

duckroll

Episode 18

This episode far surpassed my expectations. I was pretty excited for a Kiritsugu flashback to learn more about his character, but the way Ufotable handles these "stand alone" stories in Fate/Zero is really, really impressive. Like with episode 10, this felt like a very complete self contained story. It also had a distinctive unique style which is unlike the regular show, allowing the director and the animators to really flex their creative muscles to make something cool and different.

While episodes like these don't continue the on-going story, they are very important to the overall pace of such a series. For such a show to take breathers after week upon week of major events, and to instead dive deeper into the characters and setting instead is a bold move, but to bother doing it well and putting strong effort into it is even bolder.

I loved the color scheme in this episode most of all, and it really felt like a powerful contrast to the series at large. The story was both expected and yet surprising.
It is effective how the show expands on themes we are already familiar with previously. We know about the Executors and the Mage Association. We know what they do and we know that there are cover ups. These are things we have all heard about in the previous 17 episodes. But here we see them in action, and we now know first hand the sort of "average" situation they deal with from day to day when there is no Grail War.

By showing these events through Kiritsugu's eyes, we also know that these are things he knows first hand since he was a child, and this shapes his character development without the show having to specifically say it. We now know the first encounter he had with the larger "magical world" and that is the first hint as to why he has no disregard for their ways and their rules - because they have no regards for the lives of normal people who are not part of their closed society.

Kiritsugu's relationship with his father is also interesting, because the closest contrast we have to his father by the end of the episode is Tohsaka Tokiomi. I think it is no coincidence that the show chose to place this episode after the one where Tokiomi is also stabbed and killed by someone he did not expect. In fact, there is a strong unspoken parallel here about traditional mages who are so lost in their own ways of seeking the Root that they are oblivious to the feelings and rational of those around them. While Kiritsugu killed his father because he felt a sense of outrage and injustice in the research being done, Kirei killed Tokiomi for much more personal and psychopathic reasons. Yet both mages died simply because of the fact that they didn't take the time to understand those around them. They didn't feel the need to because they felt what they were doing was completely natural as long as they were seeking the Root.

So yeah, I love the shit out of this episode, and I'm glad it looks like the next one is going to continue expanding on Kiritsugu's story too. I really want to see Saber in the V-MAX, but I'll live as long as Ufotable keeps the quality of these episodes up. Goddamn.

Pooya

Fate/Zero 18
I would watch 25 episodes of this. next episode is going to be another excellent one I can tell already.

/XX/

Your favorite executor is a baker at this point in time.

As for this episode, sogood.gif. I'll write about it after I watch it like ten more times.
You probably know the answer to this and you will laugh at me if I'm wrong, but now that you mention it and after what happened with that island, I'd be surprised if Kiritsugu's special interest, or even obsession, on Kotomine wasn't motivated first and foremost (obviating his disconcerting ways as a Master) by this later one status as Church Executioner. Given that the Mages Association contracted his mentor Kaminski, I have the impression that maybe he continued crossing paths with these mysterious people later on as a mercenary.

Man, I'm curious to see what you know, but I don't want spoilers either... argh!

Now even more expectations incoming, because the next episode could be the real key point to see Kiritsugu's motivations beyond the Holy Grail War.

kayos90

Fate/Zero 18

So yeah, all my complaining about this episode, take it as stupidity. This episode was extremely well done. Duckroll pointed out most of it narrative so I'll just point out the visuals. So, the color contrast between the blue spectrum and red spectrum stands out in this episode, even stronger than before. The parts we get from daytime and the blue ocean along with the amazing river glow in the middle of the episode I think really shows the visual prowess of ufotable.

Moving on, the red really glows and has that ominous feeling that really captures the sense of dread and horror that the series has been constantly using. It's really nice and I enjoyed it. Also, there were bits of action blur in certain scenes from what I saw which was a nice touch. Camera was done extremely well.

EDIT: Also, I expect this episode to be extended in the blu-ray.

EDIT2: This OST is going to be awesome. Just saying.

Ultimadrago

Fate/Zero 18

A child-centered episode that didn't make me roll my eyes!

The concentration from a large,
cool body of water to the destructive nature of flames.

Minor touches such as
Shirley taking a bite of red fruit, leaving red around her mouth like the blood from the chicken she would feast on later when turning "Dead" and the breaking of the cross when Father Simon is killed by Natalia (situations beyond the presence or protection of entities such as "gods")
. They really made the episode for me.

Right before Kiritsugu
stabs his father, you are obscured from most of the look in his eye and mouth. Is it one of anger? Sorrow?

You do gain a glimpse of the specifics at the moment (or at least I believe it was similar on the standby), but the obscuring beforehand was good cinematography.

Also the music for when Kiritsugu was
cornered by the Dead Apostles
had a good type of "islander eerie" to it and when
Natalia came busting in
it got bumpiiiiin'. Great example of using music to enhance the scene at hand.

Enjoyed the episode, I've tasted
blood
and I want more, more, more, more!

/XX/

I was wondering... we hear Kiritsugu talking himself about his past in that pseudo-preview for the next episode... is he acting as an omniscient narrator or is actually telling this story to someone? It immediately reminded me of those, as Irisviel said, "explanations he owed" to Saber, but then I thought... someone in the series knows his backstory? Has he talked about this with anyone before, like the same Irisviel?

Here's another interesting recurring theme comparison between ep10 and ep18,
showing that Tokiomi and Kiritsugu's father also share similar mindsets regarding their children taking interest in learning more about their research.
Could be some kind of compromise or requirement that mages with respectful lineage take very seriously? Maybe it is even punished doing otherwise!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Outstanding episode, as I expected. And yeah I agree with miladesn... would watch more similar to it.

Sounds like
the next episode is the second part of Kiritsugu's flashback.
I'm definitely excited.

Jex

So... about the OP for the second season...

Shirley and young Kiritsugu:

Natalie and teenage Kiritsugu:

Irisviel and adult Kiritsugu:

Is that right?

Well, I can only assume so. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

I've liked how this seasons OP has started to make more sense as the episodes have gone on. It doesn't contain out and out spoilers, instead it's stuff that makes sense in the proper context. It becomes weightier once you know more about the characters.

Jex

Speaking of OP's, I think it's interesting that
episode 18 doesn't use one. I think this is the right decision - an OP sets a certain tone and mood for what's going to follow and it would have been completely out of place here. It also sets the whole episode apart as it's own distinct event.

/XX/

Speaking of OP's, I think it's interesting that
episode 18 doesn't use one. I think this is the right decision - an OP sets a certain tone and mood for what's going to follow and it would have been completely out of place here. It also sets the whole episode apart as it's own distinct event.
I still remember your opinion of the 'serious' title card and opening-less episode from THE IDOLM@STER.

duckroll

Another thing I liked about ep18 is that
they didn't use the same ending animation. They realized that it was a different song, and that was a choice to close the episode on a different tone compared to a normal episode, so they left the credits on a black screen. Good choice.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Great episode and my knowledge from Tsukihime came in handy as well. I suppose this is how they're meeting their set episode count and I don't mind one bit.

This episode reminded me a lot of Kara no Kyoukai, especially with the Cornelius cameo. These vampires reproduce at a rate that's not really consistent with Tsukihime, but maybe it's because of that magic potion.

Now I want ufotable to do a Tsukihime adaptation.
I was wondering... we hear Kiritsugu talking himself about his past in that pseudo-preview for the next episode... is he acting as an omniscient narrator or is actually telling this story to someone? It immediately reminded me of those, as Irisviel said, "explanations he owed" to Saber, but then I thought... someone in the series knows his backstory? Has he talked about this with anyone before, like the same Irisviel?
It would be Irisviel or Maiya in that case, I can't imagine Kiritsugu telling Saber about his past.
Could be some kind of compromise or requirement that mages with respectful lineage take very seriously? Maybe it is even punished doing otherwise!
Passing on your knowledge and magic crest to the next generation is one of the most important things for a magus, Akasha can't be reached in on generation. And like Kirei said in an earlier episode, Magi are magi, first and foremost. That's certainly reflected in how Kiritsugu's father treats everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom