• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

Sokantish

Just become part of the Giant Bomb family, they got games and comics covered. They need a wrestling site! You could get Jeff to guest star on podcasts

There are a good few wrestling encyclopaedia-type out there, we'd probably just be copying content listed elsewhere.

I say buy WrassleGAF.com and make it a site for reviews & recaps.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If it's alright with you guys we can do a trial run with a Wordpress blog w/multiple authors. It'll be free and we'd sorta test the waters with it.

EDIT: wrasslegaf.wordpress.com is ready...ish. PM me your email address to be a contributor/etc.

jred2k

Before I buy it, does this already fulfill what I have in mind? http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/Pro_Wrestling_Wiki

That site doesn't seem to be anywhere near as comprehensive as what you suggested. There doesn't seem to be any links to matches, just summaries. A better organization of feuds/timelines would be desirable too. The layout is pretty shitty and unreadable with all the ads and that terrible background.

One thing that may be an issue for your idea though would be keeping the links for matches alive. If WWE does a giant purge at some point it could ruin a lot of pages.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That site doesn't seem to be anywhere near as comprehensive as what you suggested. There doesn't seem to be any links to matches, just summaries. A better organization of feuds/timelines would be desirable too. The layout is pretty shitty and unreadable with all the ads and that terrible background.

One thing that may be an issue for your idea though would be keeping the links for matches alive. If WWE does a giant purge at some point it could ruin a lot of pages.

Yeah, in my mind there'd be a simple "Link not working? Suggest a Revised Link" spot where contributors can find alternatives that'd get approved.

I never did dig too deeply into the wikia site at all.

Wow Just read what Brett Hart said about HHH and its exactly how I feel about him.

"Then you look at someone like Triple H. When I look at him -- he's always had a good look as far as his body went -- he always had a pretty muscular physique. But you look at someone like Hunter and you wonder, what has he really done. One move that he ever created that nobody ever saw before or some highspots or an idea for a match... He's mostly a guy that just showed up and they made him. He's always been a decent wrestler -- I would consider him a good wrestler and pretty talented. But great? I don't know, I don't think so."

Kaladin

To me, Triple H has always been about his presence and mic ability more than his ring skill. I would personally love to see him in a non wrestling authority figure role more often.

strobogo

Banned
Maybe we could just take over the pro wrestling wiki and make it not suck? Or just start a new wrestling page on Wikia and make it great from scratch.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe we could just take over the pro wrestling wiki and make it not suck? Or just start a new wrestling page on Wikia and make it great from scratch.

If it's got a structure there for inserting matches, I'm all for that - the new wrestling page. Something like wrestlingregister.wikia.com or something that indicates it's about matches, and we're not focusing on personality pages etc.

strobogo

Banned
I don't know why it wouldn't. How hard is it to just link to another page for reviews or link a Yt, dailymotion, wwe.com link?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bret doesn't have a 'good look'. If anything, Bret's ability is extra impressive because of how far he went despite not really having 'the look'.

Oh I disagree; at his prime he was maybe the second or third best looking dude on the roster and he had tons of fans of the female persuasion!

I know this may be asking a lot, but if you had a 3tb external dedicated to just the wrestling vids, then you could save them just in case they were ever taken down. You could simply re-upload them.....just for them to be taken down again.

Oh I disagree; at his prime he was maybe the second or third best looking dude on the roster and he had tons of fans of the female persuasion!

eVSZgam.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Life catches up to people.

Also I'm not saying HHH is on the same level wrestling wise as Bret but I don't think he was ever as good as he was billed and he hated putting people over (though that was an even bigger deal in the late 80's/early 90's)

He definitely stopped looking fantastic near the end of his WWF run and looked pretty haggered through his entire WCW run.

Striker

Life catches up to people.

Also I'm not saying HHH is on the same level wrestling wise as Bret but I don't think he was ever as good as he was billed and he hated putting people over (though that was an even bigger deal in the late 80's/early 90's)

He definitely stopped looking fantastic near the end of his WWF run and looked pretty haggered through his entire WCW run.
Who did he have trouble putting over? He had issues with Shawn toward the end, but that's obvious why. Everybody practically hated him in that 95-97 time.

Who did he have trouble putting over? He had issues with Shawn toward the end, but that's obvious why. Everybody practically hated him in that 95-97 time.

He put everyone over in WCW.........They killed the legend. His career has been one of the most interesting in history.

strobogo

Banned
He put everyone over in WCW.........They killed the legend. His career has been one of the most interesting in history.

WCW had Bret Hart jobbing to the fat guy from MADtv on Nitro.

It's less who he was jobbing to and more that WCW didn't do anything with him for months. Fresh off of Montreal, they didn't really use him much or have him in any real angles until the Spring of 1998 when they turned him heel and he was essentially just another nWo dude. It's ridiculous that he didn't get involved in the title scene until October of 1999.

It's less who he was jobbing to and more that WCW didn't do anything with him for months. Fresh off of Montreal, they didn't really use him much or have him in any real angles until the Spring of 1998 when they turned him heel and he was essentially just another nWo dude. It's ridiculous that he didn't get involved in the title scene until October of 1999.

Yeah, Bischoff had no fucking clue how to use him. He was in the U.S. Title scene for about two years fucking around with DDP and Dean Malenko, lol.

Free Observer Radio today!

Wrestling Observer Radio with Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer returns today with special guest Mike Quackenbush to talk all things FUN in pro-wrestling, including tomorrow's NATIONAL PRO WRESTLING DAY with free attendance and paid availablility on iPPV, Chikara's season opener, the new Wrestling Is channel, All Japan Women, and so much more.

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/content/article/112-wrestling-observer/29591-free-today-feb-1-observer-radio-with-mike-quackenbush-talking-all-things-fun-in-pro-wrestling-including-national-pro-wrestling-day-chikara-season-opener-all-japan-women-new-wrestling-is-channel-tons-more

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
WCW had Bret Hart jobbing to the fat guy from MADtv on Nitro.

That was probably one of the strangest things I've ever seen in pro wrestling. I think Bret Hart won that match though after Will Sasso's valet turned on him. At least that's how I remember it.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaOq4c2rzPizkcQJBuDk2BnIanHX1cDp0

Get em while they're hot. WWE will have them down in no time. Someone has posted some behind the scenes videos from last month in NXT, they seem to be promo rehearsals. It's a varied bunch.

That Yoshi Tatsu video is awesome. Now I want to see Inoki vs Tatsu feud.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's almost like they were getting revenge for the fake pushing they had to do with Hogan at the beginning of his run/were doing a reverse Vince and burying the WWF guy.

But then when you really think about it you'll realize that he just wasn't high enough on the clout scale and if you didn't have at least a bit of stroke you were donezone.

Even during the height of their popularity WCW had massive problems booking especially at their upper mid card revolving door of title contenders level. They had the right personnel that this largely didn't catch up to them until WWF stepped their game up but they wasted dozens of good wrestlers and buried enough up and comers to make Vince proud.

Ithil

Also, Oliver Grey and PAC as the cultured British toff and the rough and ready Geordie managed by William Regal would be wonderful.

thefro

Even during the height of their popularity WCW had massive problems booking especially at their upper mid card revolving door of title contenders level. They had the right personnel that this largely didn't catch up to them until WWF stepped their game up but they wasted dozens of good wrestlers and buried enough up and comers to make Vince proud.

Well, they had Hogan, Nash, Hall, Macho Man, Luger, Scott Steiner, Bagwell etc who all wouldn't job to people, then all Hogan's buddies in the midcard who got protected. Sting was supposed to be one of the main guys so he wasn't jobbing much. DDP jobbed to a few people but he was trying to stay on top and he was Bischoff's neighbor. Big Show didn't job much either (but he shouldn't anyway). Then you had Warrior, Glacier, Goldberg, at various points. It was a big clusterfuck, and there was a whole other layer of veterans below that messing around with people and playing politics.

Top Bottom