• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feminist Frequency: Not Your Exotic Fantasy - Tropes vs. Women in Video Games

Lowmelody

That was a great video. Season two is gonna be so good.

So fucking happy to see her point out shit that bristled me when playing through almost all the games she mentioned. Her good examples were as on point as the negative side.

We need so much more of this kind of content.

Don't know about Lawrence Of Arabia, but the Gerudo definitely have Arabic elements (along with other "exotic" cultures) with deserts, thievery (Forty Thieves), focus on horses, the shield's symbol before it got altered, and clothing like this.
Gerudo%20Warrior-thumb-300x454-24128-thumb-250x378-24129.png

latest

I doubt Aounuma would depict them all that much better in BoTW but fingers crossed. At least there's going to be heroic Gerudo that (hopefully) won't be in perpetual captivity this time around.

Budi

Again, really great video. I was really lukewarm on her videos when they started. But I've grown to appreciate these and I especially like when she mentions positive examples. So she isn't only showing what not to do, but also giving props to the good ones. Also maybe because of her videos, I've only in recent years understood how important fair representation in games is.

The video is about sexualized exoticism, the male character IS also a stereotype, but he's not as sexualized as the female version. I think it makes sense to leave him out.

looking at the class select I must be missing something because they both look pretty much the same. I don't remember anything regarding the classes being sexualized in the game.

Faustek

Did I read that Ganondorf/Gerudos were based on the depiction of Arabian people in Lawrence of Arabia, or am I just mistaken?

I don't think that is what is trying to be conveyed. I think the point is that it's so rare that a non-white person's heritage is both important and handled well.

1:
I always assumed that Ganondorf was somewhere from the ME, NEA.
2:
No no, not saying anything about FF video atm. Haven't watched it. In the progress now but wanted to add about the quoted snippet on how it annoys me that people seem to think that we have to be justified to be in a game. I do not think so. We can actually just be and if the devs want to further build on a character then by all means do so but I wouldn't have demanded a reason if Nathan Drake was from Uganda. We got a story and never once did I see the need to justify his skin tone. So yes, I don't see why any video game character of color needs to be justified.
We can just be.

I don't think Anita would necessarily disagree, to be honest. In the context of her argument, she's just really lamenting that whenever black women are in games, their cultural background is either stereotyped to all hell, or not mentioned at all. I certainly don't think she would go with the "only PoC characters if they're well written plz" concern trolling, haha.

See above.... And fuck, I have the attention span of a gold fish, paused. Wrote this, saw Key & Peele recommendation and pressed it... Now I have to finish this snippet.

_________

Just me or have these videos gotten a lot better since the two first? Know that I at least didn't like the videos even if I agreed with the message.

Edit:

Don't know about Lawrence Of Arabia, but the Gerudo definitely have Arabic elements (along with other "exotic" cultures) with deserts, thievery (Forty Thieves), focus on horses, the shield's symbol before it got altered, and clothing like this.
http://www.zeldainformer.com/assets_c/2012/04/Gerudo%20Warrior-thumb-300x454-24128-thumb-250x378-24129.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/zelda/images/0/02/Gerudosymbolh.png/revision/latest?cb=20110725144614&path-prefix=de[IMG][/QUOTE]

I just want to say that I see many posts from you Messofanego and I effing love you.

Unfortunately Orlando haven't called back (。•̀ᴗ-)✧

samred

that's something her earlier videos really lacked.

Earlier videos didn't have a lot of POSITIVE examples of the problems she listed. Her videos are working. Don't tell me Watch Dogs 2 and Mafia III producers haven't watched and listened to Sarkeesian in terms of story and representation.

CamHostage

just to warn people who haven't finished Far Cry 3 yet,story and ending spoiler in the video.
Yeah, had Pandora's Tower spoiled for me in a previous episode. Would be nice if she threw up a spoiler warning in the video.

Good point. I imagine it is difficult getting feedback to Sarkeesian since it'd be impossible to get word in above the noise, but if anybody has access, please pass on the suggestion. Since story is important to this docu-series and since ending treatment of female characters is especially interesting to look at (it's a curious phenomenon how often great lady characters are written to fall apart, get kidnapped, or killed as a climax to a game,) it'd be a good service to list which games covered might be spoiled in a video. There's already a list of which games are covered in each video in the blog and video description, an asterisk by games that get late-in-game or critical twist discussions would be helpful to viewers.

I understand the point of the video (and series in general) however showing Sheva's outfit and not the ridiculously absurd Chris outfits from Resident Evil 5 is missing half the point.

So, it's really difficult to talk about female objectification and male objectification in equality since they are not equal in media representation or interest levels, (We could go on and on about whether it's nature or nurture, that men seem to really like looking at ladies' bodies while women seem less interested in looking at guys' bodies and have either an attraction or competitive interest in looking at ladies' bodies, so just by sheer numbers, sexy women sell hamburgers... I think that's my point?) In general, crazy guy outfits are made to look awesome, and crazy lady outfits are made for tongues to loll out of mouths.

When it comes to RE5, I think if you see Sheva and Chris' outfits side by side, you can see that the other "half the point" isn't a half. There's not the racial connotation in outfit design, there's not the sexual fetishism in the design (though the leather outfit is either Mad Max or hard-gay, the latter of which has its own issues to get into,) there's just not as much semiotic meaning that can be found in the choices the designers made. it's not balanced design (and it'd probably be nearly impossible to do so, BTW, so be aware and be critical but don't be repulsively rejective, just encourage awareness and change -- I believe that's the Feminist Frequency takeaway..)

maxresdefault.jpg

Platy

looking at the class select I must be missing something because they both look pretty much the same. I don't remember anything regarding the classes being sexualized in the game.

Objetification does not work the same for women and men because we live in a patriarchal society that focus on female sexuality in every ad and tv show, game and everything.

Just equal clothing is not the same to make a male character objectified. Like how you need much more than one non objectified woman in your game so that people can look in the game and don't think you are going by sexists standards

Toxi

Banned
Is it?

I mean, it's not like "darker skin = sinister/evil" is a new thing. You need not look any further than Ryu getting a noticeable tan when the "Evil/Killing Intent" awakens in him to see yet another example of this.
The whole "skin gets darker when the character turns evil" reminds me of the 1931 version of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde.

Which, uh...

97120-004-F792981D.jpg

...Yeah...

Another great video.

I never got that far into Hyrule Warriors. Mostly because the shitty gameplay, but those designs for the original characters did not help.

Lime

Resident Evil 5 might have been the most (unintentionally) racist mainstream game of all time.

I'm glad FF is reaching out to address postcolonial and racial topics and I wouldn't mind for her to include some of the insightful voices out there (if they are up for it, of course).

Objetification does not work the same for women and men because we live in a patriarchal society that focus on female sexuality in every ad and tv show, game and everything.

Just equal clothing is not the same to make a male character objectified. Like how you need much more than one non objectified woman in your game so that people can look in the game and don't think you are going by sexists standards

im not saying hes objectified, im saying neither are. When theyre wearing armour they're pretty much indistinguishable. Just seemed like an odd example to use.

Faustek

Yepp, detected no lies. Was a good video and I do so yearn for more games that, if they try, do us justice. We're not always big, muscle bound, hotheads with a fuse shorter than 5mm.
One thing for sure is that I will definitely pick up 1979. Hadn't even heard about the game until now.

Another great video.

I never got that far into Hyrule Warriors. Mostly because the shitty gameplay, but those designs for the original characters did not help.

I never got that far to bother to check everyone out. Sengoku Basara still remains as the best Musou.

Resident Evil 5 might have been the most (unintentionally) racist mainstream game of all time.

I'm glad FF is reaching out to address postcolonial and racial topics and I wouldn't mind for her to include some of the insightful voices out there (if they are up for it, of course).

There is no defending that alternate Sheva costume and RE5 has its problems but I wouldn't go that far. Especially when it was initially revealed and showed Chris killing black zombies in Africa and people took it as if it was a white supremacist game about a white dude killing blacks only just because.

Fantastic Anita video as always. I only wish she made them more quickly. Can't wait for what I think is her inevitable evisceration of Metroid Other M's Samus. She's been on the record saying she loved Samus in Metroid Prime so she must have some thoughts about M:OM (God, even the acronym is fucking stupid).

Mista Koo

When she mentioned Zelda I assumed she was gonna talk about the gerudo, a race of exoticized brown harem girls or belly dancers (and that on evil man).

Anybody watched the Invisibility Blues video series? It's about race in video games made by a WoC (expect much lower budget though).

HeelPower

Damn RE5 was a complete mess in terms of racial portrayal :s just wow

Having never played Far Cry 3. woooooooooooow

how fucking dumb

The game was first shown off at E3 with her naked on top of the player and doing some exotic sexual ritual.

One of the worst most cringeworthy reveals ever...

I haven't played or care about Far Cry 3 but Chris from RE5 not only has ridiculously sexualized outfits, the character by default is a complete sexualization.

How? They made him buffer and gave him a skintight t-shirt, but that's about all they did. He's never viewed in as sexual a light as Sheva, nor does he have any outfits approaching Tribal or Clubbin' in sexualisation. Besides, if Chris was intentionally sexualised (which I doubt) it doesn't excuse what they pulled with Sheva at all.

Damn RE5 was a complete mess in terms of racial portrayal :s just wow

That's not even counting the horrendous depiction of hollering,spear-chucking zombie tribal natives in giant masks in one of the chapters in the game.

Or this one random scene of a random white woman being dragged away by 2 random black parasite zombies.

This is after Capcom took some early criticism of the whole white guy shooting down hordes of black people and added some brown and white people into the generic zombie mix in the final version of the game. They knew they fucked up but still added dumb shit like the Sheva costume and the stuff I listed.

jackal27

Banned
This one was very, very good.

Man, I feel like I need a shower after that. Some absolutely disgusting examples that break my heart. Racist stereotypes in the games industry are way too common.

CryptiK

That's not even counting the horrendous depiction of hollering,spear-chucking zombie tribal natives in giant masks in one of the chapters in the game.

Or this one random scene of a random white woman being dragged away by 2 random black parasite zombies.

This is after Capcom took some early criticism of the whole white guy shooting down hordes of black people and added some brown and white people into the generic zombie mix in the final version of the game. They knew they fucked up but still added dumb shit like the Sheva costume and the stuff I listed.
Played this recently and re-read about the issues out of curiousity this scene was a white zombie draging away a white woman btw.

This one was very, very good.

Man, I feel like I need a shower after that. Some absolutely disgusting examples that break my heart. Racist stereotypes in the games industry are way too common.

Slowly but surely tides can and will change. Certainly there are more and more attempts being made to portray women and people of color in a more positive light. It's going to take some time of course. Younger generations of game developers will (hopefully) grow up to be more culturally and socially progressive with the characters they design. Gaming is still a relatively young industry and it's just the growing pains of being dominated by a largely white and heterosexual group of people.

Kinsei

Banned
There is no defending that alternate Sheva costume and RE5 has its problems but I wouldn't go that far. Especially when it was initially revealed and showed Chris killing black zombies in Africa and people took it as if it was a white supremacist game about a white dude killing blacks only just because.

Fantastic Anita video as always. I only wish she made them more quickly. Can't wait for what I think is her inevitable evisceration of Metroid Other M's Samus. She's been on the record saying she loved Samus in Metroid Prime so she must have some thoughts about M:OM (God, even the acronym is fucking stupid).

That's not what happened. like at at all. Please read this: http://www.mtv.com/news/2456617/new...nt-evil-5-trailer-this-imagery-has-a-history/

Terrell

I assume that's supposed to be "classic racist stereotypes", but it made me laugh imagining some shitty ethnic caricatures in evening finery.

The problem with her critique is she's focusing on the skin tone from a point of cultural ignorance.

The Japanese don't have the long issues with racial stereotypes stretching back from being used to justify African slavery. What most asian cultures *do* have is a very long association with skin tone relating to class that the west in comparison does not have to any same degree any longer. Ivory skin was prized before Asia was ever opened up to the west.

You're right. They have a longer history of racial intolerance. Ever heard of the Ainu? There's a reason ivory skin was prized: it meant you were "pure" and devoid of Ainu ancestry, a fact long since forgotten, since even as far back as the founding of feudal Japan, the Ainu were treated like they don't exist, and this has since become thought of as some feudal classism hold over, when it has roots in racial intolerance.

Andrew J.

I have as much nostalgia for Ocarina of Time as anybody, but looking back on it critically I have to admit that yeah, the depiction of the Gerudo is extremely problematic on a number of levels.

Here's hoping Breath of the Wild does better.

Wolfenstein The New Order, which is often compared to Half Life 2 and is around the same length, had enough time to develop all of the side characters (J, Wyatt, Max, Fergus) including the women (Tekla, Anya, Caroline, Annette) into satisfying arcs. Set Roth brings plenty of his Jewish background into the fold of the main story. Keep in mind, that's over two timelines. Along with The Old Blood.

Just too bad there aren't any women of colour in the games, but still isn't an excuse to miss side character development.

The "I Learned How to Fly" part of that game was so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVJTVxK2-Os

Wolfenstein did an excellent job with its character development, and the women in the game have great roles as well. Anya is a treasure.

I think Capcom knows they kinda fucked up with black people in 5. Why else do they continue to pretend Sheva doesn't exist in RE post 5?

RBIYF

Neo Member
Thanks for posting this OP. I don't always share her views, but I do appreciate these videos being made and the viewpoints they offer.

You're right. They have a longer history of racial intolerance. Ever heard of the Ainu? There's a reason ivory skin was prized: it meant you were "pure" and devoid of Ainu ancestry, a fact long since forgotten, since even as far back as the founding of feudal Japan, the Ainu were treated like they don't exist, and this has since become thought of as some feudal classism hold over, when it has roots in racial intolerance.

Not to mention, let's not act like Western racist stereotype depictions didn't have any impact or influence on later Japanese character design.

The Story of Little Black Sambo was first published in Japan in 1953. Despite it being an unlicensed version of the original using illustrations from Frank Dobias and depicting Sambo as an African boy rather than as an Indian boy, "The book is beloved in Japan and is not considered controversial there, but it was subject to copyright infringement". The book was pulled in 1988 after copyright issues and a American anti-racism against Blacks campaign were raised.

In 2005, the book was reprinted in Japan and became a bestseller.
Once Shunned as Racist, Storybook Bestseller in Japan

Mr_Zombie

As usual, great video.

How? They made him buffer and gave him a skintight t-shirt, but that's about all they did. He's never viewed in as sexual a light as Sheva, nor does he have any outfits approaching Tribal or Clubbin' in sexualisation. Besides, if Chris was intentionally sexualised (which I doubt) it doesn't excuse what they pulled with Sheva at all.

Well, he became a gay bara icon after RE5 so... yeah. And it seems Capcom has been riding on the popularity after the initial RE5 release, what's with the Warrior (BDSM) costume in RE5 PC/Gold release, the Sailor costume in Revelations and half-naked samurai in RE6 (his unused costumes depicted in the RE6 art book also looked very interesting).

However, Chris still has nothing on Sheva with her tribal costume and the fairytale costume.

Fuchsdh

You have sources for the assertion that ivory skin preferences are related to Ainu hatred? And how does that explain the preference in Korea, China, or Vietnam?

Shaanyboi

Banned
I had no idea Far Cry 3's story was so fucking dumb. Holy hell man.
From the get-go, the characters are presented as the douchiest fucking idiots, and you think for a moment that they're playing this up ironically or something. And then... no. No they are being 100% straight with this. And it's dumb. And it's awful. And...ffffjfhsjajsjaja

What the fuck at everything about Far Cry 3. These type of games don't appeal to me at all, so this is the first time I've seen anything about the content of this game beyond it beyond it being an FPS (or so I thought).

Who comes up with this stuff, do they have horny 12 year old boys in their board rooms? This is pathetic.

AlucardGV

Banned
What the fuck at everything about Far Cry 3. These type of games don't appeal to me at all, so this is the first time I've seen anything about the content of this game beyond it beyond it being an FPS (or so I thought).

Who comes up with this stuff, do they have horny 12 year old boys in their board rooms? This is pathetic.

you'll probably be surprised at the average age of FPS players

sqwarlock

I love the game for its gameplay, but I never did finish it.

1) Because of what's brought up in this video.
2) Because the game takes itself far too seriously. There's barely any hints of irony in the whole thing and there really, really needs to be. (DISCLAIMER: If there is, I don't remember it.)
3) Because they
kill off the better villain halfway through the game

The writer for Far Cry 3, Jeffrey Yohalem, is a piece of work. He bounced back with Child Of Light, but man I bet he'd still defend Far Cry 3's weird racist and and dumb story, calling it satire. RockPaperShotgun's Far Cry 3 interview with him is legendary.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/far-cry-3s-jeffrey-yohalem-on-racism-torture-and-satire/

You sure, can't find any trailer that shows that stuff?
Far Cry 3 E3 2012

Not only is it an awkward opening of having sex with the protagonist but it's preceded by a black woman, Aisha Tyler, introducing it.
You sure, can't find any trailer that shows that stuff?
Far Cry 3 E3 2012

Not only is it an awkward opening of having sex with the protagonist but it's preceded by a black woman, Aisha Tyler, introducing it.
He's also a huge fan of Anita. lol
He's a fine person, but man his views on just Far Cry 3 are like...weird. It's like when you have a barely explained and bad story in a movie and you have fans trying to justify every crap thing by making convoluted reasoning just so they can feel good about defending it.

Top Bottom