• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Talked with a friend who is reviewing the game as well and showed him the two impression posts, and he said that his claim that the structure of the game changes after ch.5 is completely false

The first three to five chapters did a great job of drawing me in, and immersing me in the world, but it was after that I really appreciated the journey. Spoiler: Thanks to the way the design suddenly changed on me, it helped me appreciate the open world aspect a little more too. I didn't have to follow that same routine all the way through.

The game does not change in structure until the end of
chapter 8
and until then
you are in the same area doing the "same" stuff
. And afaik the previews only allowed players to play until chapter 5. Also, each chapter is clearly marked and you won't miss the transition from one chapter to the next, so I don't think that Verendus confused numbers either. There's supposed to be more stuff that is not really accurate or just way too generalizing in those posts, but I didn't want to bother my friend much more

My friend described FFXV as "pretty good" which makes these attention-seeking posts even worse because the game does not need fake impressions and can stand on its own

Edit: dear FFXV fans, this post is not an invitation to contact me and ask me about very specific things about the game in general; I just wanted to verify those two posts and for the rest you'll have to wait 9 days or hope somebody else can answer your questions

doop_

Banned
Haven't been following the game as closely as some of you here, but I genuinely think the game will be really good. And it can't possibly be bad after over 5 years of development can it ?

Audioboxer

Bloodborne was our ray of shining hope in the darkness. We all were holding "contact" positions, waiting for something good--and this game was the lone great exclusive the PS4 had, for quite some time. Things are definitely changing now though. Many of Sony's promises were of games far off in the distance. Hype sells more consoles, so I can see why people bought it.

Now we have two long awaited, overhyped titles coming. Hopefully Final Fantasy XV and Last Guardian are solid games. I am confident they will at least be decently good. Opinion will vary, though.

Yeah Bloodborne was fantastic, and still is. Damn you From Software for probably not giving 2 shits about a Pro patch. Also BB > DS3.

Even although I understood most projects were far off, nearly every 1st party studio seems to have gone through a crisis. Santa Monica obviously had that canned IP. inFamous Second Son was pretty good, but did feel a bit like a rushed title to get it out as early as possible. Knack is... Knack lol. PD are continuing to one up themselves with never getting titles out on time and always undelivered on content.

Shu has obviously gone on a studio gutting spree as well, closing down 1st party development around a few titles.

Either way a lot of the darkness is behind us, and I sure do hope TLG and FF15 deliver. They'll never reach the stupid hype due to their legacies, but I'm sure a good game can still be called a good game. Knowing Squares hard on for season passes and cutting up content though stuff from FF15 will no doubt be held back to be paid for later.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Talked with a friend who is reviewing the game as well and showed him the two impression posts, and he said that his claim that the structure of the game changes after ch.5 is completely false

The game does not change in structure until the end of
chapter 8
and until then
you are in the same area doing the "same" stuff
. And afaik the previews only allowed players to play until chapter 5. Also, each chapter is clearly marked and you won't miss the transition from one chapter to the next, so I don't think that Verendus confused numbers either. There's supposed to be more stuff that is not really accurate or just way too generalizing in those posts, but I didn't want to bother my friend much more

My friend described FFXV as "pretty good" which makes these attention-seeking posts even worse because the game does not need fake impressions and can stand on its own
Merci Nibel

If you weren't aware, disclaimer that I worked on the soundtrack of the game, so take what I say with that perspective in mind for better or worse. Experience with the game speaking, vs shilling for a product, yadda yadda yadda.

Wow, I had no idea! This must be a really exciting time for you =D

I'm now committing myself to a whole week without Twitter, Twitch, and Youtube. I'm just lucky none of my Facebook friends are idiots, and GAF is such a reliable community where spoilers are concerned.

Audioboxer

So many mixed impressions, I think this game won't be as well received as you all think. Maybe scoring in the 6's and 7's

From the spoiler thread? As I said in here I totally expect the story to be complete ass (Square have totally lost their way on being able to write stories). I'm all in for gameplay, side quest content and exploring.

If gameplay is shoddy then I'll be worried. I love turn based battles, and while I like FF12, real time/active battles really have to be done well. If they suck it just feels like another mediocre action game rather than a JPRG/Final Fantasy game.

I really should get downloading the FF15 demo LOL. I haven't played any. Do any of them have pro support (the demos)?

So many mixed impressions, I think this game won't be as well received as you all think. Maybe scoring in the 6's and 7's

Eh, it probably shouldnt. Even though narrative is a big part of these games (and FF games have always had a pretty unconventional narrative), the game seems to be doing a lot of interesting things in terms of gameplay, world design, structure...I don't know if it will add up. Assassins Creed games for instance, had completely pap stories and very repetitive content, but very solid traversal mechanics and well modelled worlds. In general, they have scored pretty highly. Same with Far Cry. I will be interested to see how this game reviews.

If the story really is poor though... there is no excuse. They are making a massive project...Hire some fucking good writers. Stop getting producers or directors, etc. to write the story. Get lots of feedback on it from writers from a number of genres to make sure you are noting playing to generic tropes, while at the same time maintaining coherence. I don't feel there is any excuse for crap stories in big games. Even the Witcher 3, which had great writing and some really nice stories, the main narrative was a bit lacking and disjointed.

Yes, the demo is pro enabled.
Guess no matter how hard I try, I won't be able to avoid reading comments about whether the story is good or not.
I'm definitely playing it for the story and characters. For gameplay, I usually look at shooters.
Which is also why I was happy when I read that Verendus as a person who doesn't seem to appreciate the openness of western RPGs had a good time with FFXV. Of course we still have to hear back from him to confirm that his impressions weren't made up.

Gemeanie

From the spoiler thread? As I said in here I totally expect the story to be complete ass (Square have totally lost their way on being able to write stories). I'm all in for gameplay, side quest content and exploring.

If gameplay is shoddy then I'll be worried. I love turn based battles, and while I like FF12, real time/active battles really have to be done well. If they suck it just feels like another mediocre action game rather than a JPRG/Final Fantasy game.

I really should get downloading the FF15 demo LOL. I haven't played any. Do any of them have pro support (the demos)?
The leaker actually likes it a lot apart from the story, ranking it overall above 7/10/13, but human nature makes people focus only on what he's not so much a fan of: story.

JD supports pro

theofficefan99

I was praying this was going to be a Final Fantasy with a Metacritic average in the 90's... I guess not, with all these "good" impressions I'm reading. Disappointed, to say the least.

Final Fantasy XV trophies have leaked online

cX5Q6rR.gif

Audioboxer

The leaker actually likes it a lot apart from the story, ranking it overall above 7/10/13, but human nature makes people focus only on what he's not so much a fan of: story.

JD supports pro

The judgement demo does. Create yourself a Japanese PSN account and you are good to go.

Cheers I'll give it a go, and yeah, I have resigned myself to expect a tolerable story in FF15 at best.

Sigh...I wish more people play FFXIV+Heavensward.

My post on the previous page

After the last few FF releases (minus the MMO) the story in these games has been utter trash.

I have played a large chunk of FF14 and enjoyed it, just not all of it.

theofficefan99

My gripes with XIII's story were the Snow/Hope arc (dumb as hell and unnecessary), Chapter 11's pacing, and the entire finale. But other than that, it was unique, well-paced, and interesting. What was more of an issue was the dialogue.

XII had great dialogue but my issue with the story is that it's mostly forgettable and pretty much nothing interesting ever happens.

After watching Kingsglaive though I kind of had a feeling that the main game would suffer from the same "quality" of writing.

Still hope the game manages to get a 90+ average somehow... Please...

Audioboxer

A tolerable story will still be a step up from FFXIII's relentless melodrama.

Well FF13 is complete trash on the story front, and Square tripling down and creating 3 games in the series only showed how badly the company was managing FF. They may have created 3 games they wanted, but sales of these games showed only a portion of FF fans gave a shit about Lighting and Co. Not to mention 13 being the height of corridor simulators. Probably even worse than 10, but 10 at least had a decent story driving it.

A main female protagonist was a good thing for FF, just a shame it was tied up in such a shit game/series, FF13.

My gripes with XIII's story were the Snow/Hope arc (dumb as hell and unnecessary), Chapter 11's pacing, and the entire finale. But other than that, it was unique, well-paced, and interesting. What was more of an issue was the dialogue.

XII had great dialogue but my issue with the story is that it's mostly forgettable and pretty much nothing interesting ever happens.

After watching Kingsglaive though I kind of had a feeling that the main game would suffer from the same "quality" of writing.

Still hope the game manages to get a 90+ average somehow... Please...

I doubt that and everyone should be prepared for something in the 80s. There will no doubt be some review outlets who go bananas as usual and chuck 10/10s around like candy, but in today's world a JRPG with a weak story is going to get docked.

kurahador

Really? You don't think the jumping between characters, random flashbacks, the anime acting (except for Sazh, he's just cheesy) and the story being about not knowing what to do 99% of the time is bad?

Someone should replace the BELIEVE in Neogaf logo with BALEE for use in the OT.

I AM A MAN OF MANY HATS

Specifically for XV, mix engineer which tends to branch out into a few other things as well.

Did you interact at all with Hazmer?

theofficefan99

Really? You don't think the jumping between characters, random flashbacks, the anime acting (except for Sazh, he's just cheesy) and the story being about not knowing what to do 99% of the time is bad?

Didn't find jumping between characters or the flashbacks an issue. The "anime acting," aka the dialogue, yes I found an issue with it. It was weird. There were some scenes where the dialogue actually flowed really well IMO and then there'll be a scene where almost every line is cringeworthy. Then there'll be another scene with believable-sounding dialogue. Then cringe. Rinse and repeat. It was strange.

Is it delusion if you still believe it was a good-decent game that was heavily flawed? 🤔

Just wanna check where I'm at.
I mean their initial opinion were swayed by all the hype :p. You might have liked it and there is nothing wrong with TBH, since I was also the one who enjoyed his time with The Order, but hated it once I got over the hype period.

The universe of The Order 1886 had a lot of potential but the news of the game basically having no chance of a sequel killed all interest in it for me.

Mifec

Haz is lead designer on the culture team, that designs towns, etc. We're good friends and have many similar interests - games, music, music games, etc. so we hang out quite a bit.

Pardon my ignorance but your actual first name is Falk? Because if so that's awesome as fuck.

kurahador

Didn't find jumping between characters or the flashbacks an issue. The "anime acting," aka the dialogue, yes I found an issue with it. It was weird. There were some scenes where the dialogue actually flowed really well IMO and then there'll be a scene where almost every line is cringeworthy. Then there'll be another scene with believable-sounding dialogue. Then cringe. Rinse and repeat. It was strange.

Yeah...strange is not the word I would use. Everytime Snow throws that crystal around like coin I just groan.

theofficefan99

Haven't checked the spoiler thread at all, not planning to, either, but I'm thinking that the game will probably have points docked off for the quality of the dialogue and perhaps the pacing of the plot, rather than the quality of it.

I usually don't see games being harped on for the plot unless it's ridiculously stupid (and boring) as hell like in Lightning Returns.

StereoVsn

Really? You don't think the jumping between characters, random flashbacks, the anime acting (except for Sazh, he's just cheesy) and the story being about not knowing what to do 99% of the time is bad.
XIII storyline was terrible alongside most of its characters (don't get me started on the dub and VA direction). If XV can't clear that low of a hurdle it's freaking doomed.

theofficefan99

Wait didn't MGS5 get a Metacritic in the 90's despite apparently having a terrible story with bad writing (just basing off what I've heard) and poor pacing, in a series that is heavily focused on plot?

*trying to find hope in a 90+ average*

jb1234

XIII storyline was terrible alongside most of its characters (don't get me started on the dub and VA direction). If XV can't clear that low of a hurdle it's freaking doomed.

I once tried a drinking game where I took a chug every time Vanille made sex sounds. I didn't last long.

Mifec

Wait didn't MGS5 get a Metacritic in the 90's despite apparently having a terrible story with bad writing (just basing off what I've heard) and poor pacing, in a series that is heavily focused on plot?

It's also a series heavily focused on it's amazing moment to moment gameplay second to none, which it had the best of even if it wasn't the best game released 2015.

Vanille made sex sounds.

I must have erased this from my memory.

Falk

that puzzling face

MGSV didn't quite involve a decade wait while the franchise evolved into an easy punching bag, though.

It's an uphill battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom