• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinMaruku

Why do top players think they are entitled to wins? "This game doesn't favor solid players" is some ol' bullshit that should get you laughed at

Sometimes it's a result of playing the old game for many years and having to adjust to the new game, it's a bit daft to say things are solid when the game is not even 1 year out.

Tripon

https://twitter.com/shirauzutaisa/status/765199134345142273

Yukadon is now sponsored by YOUDEAL, which also sponsors Haitani.

Cp6IAEzUEAI6pPh.jpg

Unlucky

Anybody else get charged twice for their EVO 2016 ticket? I got another charge this month despite it being a "one time" ticket like last year. Might want to check your paypal / bank accounts.
Yes indeed, I did get charged again. The srkevo sub is supposed to be a one-time charge, and I confirmed with Twitch support before subscribing that it was $12/year. This morning I sent an email to Twitch support requesting a refund for their mistake. Hopefully they will be refunding everyone who got charged twice, and not just those who complain.

Edit: Got my refund

Tripon

Anybody else get charged twice for their EVO 2016 ticket? I got another charge this month despite it being a "one time" ticket like last year. Might want to check your paypal / bank accounts.

Yes indeed, I did get charged again. The srkevo sub is supposed to be a one-time charge, and I confirmed with Twitch support before subscribing that it was $12/year. This morning I sent an email to Twitch support requesting a refund for their mistake. Hopefully they will be refunding everyone who got charged twice, and not just those who complain.

Man, you guys keep complaining and Skisonic won't have enough money for his scholarship.

Why do top players think they are entitled to wins? "This game doesn't favor solid players" is some ol' bullshit that should get you laughed at

SF4 bias? Many people said that SF4 was a game that favored players putting the most time in it while SF5 isn't. The definition of a solid player changes with the game.

Sayad

SF4 bias? Many people said that SF4 was a game that favored players putting the most time in it while SF5 isn't. The definition of a solid player changes with the game.
Make sense I guess, SFIV really reward lap time, see how far option selects got 801 Strider.

peter0611

I saw the recurring charge this morning and cancelled it, but at the time was too lazy to contact whoever for a refund. But I just got a notice of the refund, so thankfully they have recognized the screw up.

Dahbomb

This is no longer the generation of "adapt or die". Mostly because competitive games are expected to have solid design and if they don't then they are expected to be rectified in order to create a more fair competitive scene. That sense of fair competitive scene is a very subjective line that results in all of this friction.

It's no longer acceptable to just sit there and eat up what the developers give us especially when the developers expect the game to be played for thousands of hours and for considerable amount of money in front of a large audience. When changing a game is on the table, then nothing is a sacred cow and everything should be analyzed properly from a general design and competitive point of view.

Ken jumps in with air Tatsu and is immune from anti airs? Bad design and needs to be rectified. 8f lag (well really 3 extra frames) in a game with fast dashes, high stun and low defensive options? Seems like Capcom is already aware of it and intends to address it after Capcom Cup.

That's the real frustration. People know that the game has design/balance issues but they won't be fixed until after Capcom Cup. That's a long time and knowing that the changes are coming anyway... people will vent frustration.

Do you play for the now or play for the long term? It's possible that stuff that works now may not work a year from now. Characters that might suck might be really good later on... do you gamble on the character balance musical chairs and high roll? Not to mention that they are still adding new characters so maybe your main might gets released after a while.

All I know is that the same Capcom that made big changes to SF4 so that it wasn't Vortex/Set Up fighter needs to take a hard look at every single R.Mika game and ask themselves if this is the game they want people to be playing.

Everybody has to deal with it, so these guys need to adapt or just stop playing. Also infind it funny that the guys complaining are still doing very well. Sure, whenever the gods show up they have no chance but thats how its always been.
But the complaint is that the game is too random. You can't adapt to lag, lol.

Is that why you have a lot of people validating SFV's design by saying its similar to older style games?

You've certainly found enough validation in there to complain incessantly. The game is validated enough by top Japanese and American players who enjoy it, quotes from 2 euro players is supposed to invalidate overall good game design? Okay.

Dahbomb

You can adapt to lag but the limit of what is reactable is shifted greatly. Now an overhead that is 25 frames is harder to block when before a 25 frame overhead would be slow enough to block most of the time. Now dash up grab from certain characters is a legit mix up when you run the numbers and account for the lag. Now jumps in are better, whiff punishment is harder and offense is stronger. All of these things can be adjusted to but you need to look at the game from a new, altered perspective.

When you analyze it you can see why some players may think it's "random" (which is an awful, non descriptive term to use). If you run the numbers... it's still worthwhile for you to jump like 6 times against cerain characters and if you get the one jump in then you still come out ahead.

kirblar

Once a year isn't good enough. They need to do 2 update points for balance. 1 after EVO, 1 after CC. The EVO one shouldn't be big changes, but the arcade model isn't viable in today's world.

Once a year isn't good enough. They need to do 2 update points for balance. 1 after EVO, 1 after CC. The EVO one shouldn't be big changes, but the arcade model isn't viable in today's world.

Maybe very small changes, but I doubt they want anything to disrupt the pro tour season. I can see top players throwing a fit if they make significant balance changes in the middle of the year.

You've certainly found enough validation in there to complain incessantly. The game is validated enough by top Japanese and American players who enjoy it, quotes from 2 euro players is supposed to invalidate overall good game design? Okay.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Neoxon

Looks like they incorporated the Proton Cannon into the Avengers Assemble cartoon.
Though it came from the future, & Tony failed miserably at using it.

MxY7ASN.gif

Sayad

You can adapt to lag but the limit of what is reactable is shifted greatly. Now an overhead that is 25 frames is harder to block when before a 25 frame overhead would be slow enough to block most of the time. Now dash up grab from certain characters is a legit mix up when you run the numbers and account for the lag. Now jumps in are better, whiff punishment is harder and offense is stronger. All of these things can be adjusted to but you need to look at the game from a new, altered perspective.
That have been a legit mixup in a lot of fighting games, it was in 3s and even in IV, characters with actually good dashes like Makoto can do it, even with her 7 frames start up command grab. It wasn't viable for most SFIV characters due to how ass dashes were, and between throw tech OS and how wide the throw tech window is, it wasn't viable without a command grab.

Kumubou

eh that doesn't mean shit. there are good and bad examples of both delay and rollback.
What fighting games are out there with good delay-based netcode? The closest I can think of are TTT2 and VF5:FS, and those games aren't straight delay-based as they do attempt to compensate for lag to some degree by manipulating the start-up animation of moves.

Not having some system to address the inherent delay over the Internet always leads to a shitty experience, full stop. It would be like giving most old fighting games SF5's native input delay

There definitely are bad rollback implementations, though... and surprise surprise, most of them are by Capcom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom