• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

BTW, the teams so far are:

Daigo, Machabo, Kazunoko, Sako, Mocchi, Nakamura, Roi, Nakasu Beddman, (qualifier on the 9th), (EVO 2015 rep)

vs

Nage, Ogawa, FAB, Susumu, Takehara, Taka, Koichi, Kiisha, (online qualifier on the 9th), (Arc Revo 8/15 rep)

OceanBlue

BTW, the teams so far are:

Daigo, Machabo, Kazunoko, Sako, Mocchi, Nakamura, Roi, Nakasu Beddman, (qualifier on the 9th), (EVO 2015 rep)

vs

Nage, Ogawa, FAB, Susume, Takehara, Taka, Koichi, Kiisha, (online qualifier on the 9th), (Arc Revo 8/15 rep)

Oh man, Mocchi on the Gods team. Always happy to see more Mocchi.

That team could be Team Sol if it wanted to be lol.

Yeah it only looks boring because of us assuming there will only be 2 more returning characters that weren't in SF4 and that there will be more SF2 characters. If it goes that way it will be boring, but so far the characters themselves look like they will play great.

Horseress

So far:

In USFIV:
Ryu
Chun-Li
Cammy
Bison
Ken
Vega

Not in USFIV:
Nash
Birdie
Necalli

Nine characters and only three "not USFIV" ones. I know there's a shitton of characters in IV therefore making it hard to avoid them, but let's hope the other four returning characters (there are seven spots missing and three of them are for brand new characters) are old ones.

BTW if the siliconera rumor is true, we already have everyone (Alex, Urien, Karin and R. Mika being the remaining characters), not counting future DLC of course

Edit: on the topic of players who enjoy high execution characters, is there a way to reward that style of play in ways other than MAXDAMAGE combos?

Yea, it's really up to the game devs at that point but they make it look awesome, like C.Viper whenever she's able to cancel her seismic's in rapid succession(and it's intentional) it looks pretty awesome plus has mindgame potential, not only that her burn kick looks really cool.

Mr. X

So far:

In USFIV:
Ryu
Chun-Li
Cammy
Bison
Ken
Vega

Not in USFIV:
Nash
Birdie
Necalli

Nine characters and only three "not USFIV" ones. I know there's a shitton of characters in IV therefore making it hard to avoid them, but let's hope the other four returning characters (there are seven spots missing and three of them are for brand new characters) are old ones.

BTW if the siliconera rumor is true, we already have everyone (Alex, Urien, Karin and R. Mika being the remaining characters), not counting future DLC of course

There's no SF3, no introduced in SF4 characters at all yet :/

SF1: Ryu, Birdie
SF2: Ryu, Ken, Chun, Cammy, Bison, Vega
SFA: Ryu, Ken, Chun, Cammy, Birdie, Bison, Vega, Nash
SF3: Ryu, Ken, Chun
SF4: Ryu, Ken, Chun, Cammy, Bison, Vega

1 new so far.

It's annoying to see characters that been in so many games again and again. At least they overhauled some movesets for some of them.

Horseress

It's annoying to see characters that been in so many games again and again. At least they overhauled some movesets for some of them.

Yeah, that's whats keeping me interested in the cast. But man, if the next reveal is another SFIV character.......if the Brazilian character is Blanka.................

I'm not kidding man. They're going to exclude SF3 characters for the initial roster and release them as dlc so it can line up with the story progression they have planned.

fml

Haunts, if you're reading this, ignore the plan I have just said. Nobody wants that shit.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'm not kidding man. They're going to exclude SF3 characters for the initial roster and release them as dlc so it can line up with the story progression they have planned.

fml

Haunts, if you're reading this, ignore the plan I have just said. Nobody wants that shit.

I'm gonna be so sad if urien & alex (or Q) don't make it in. ;_;

For the love of god Capcom plz.

Pompadour

I've lost faith in that Siliconera rumor after Vega was announced.

Well, it depends if the color coded chart Capcom released means anything. We have 9 characters out of 16 revealed with 3 more newcomers guaranteed. There's 4 slots left so Siliconera could still be right. Pretty unlikely, though.

My hope is that the SF2 8 slots are for returning fighters from 4, the 4 slot with Birdie and Nash are for veterans not in 4, and the empty 4 slot above is for completely new fighters.

Average, target-market gamers don't look at the games they play as problems that need to be solved. They view them as entertainment, as a throwaway distraction. The thing they are most after is torn from them if they play against someone who has put in the work. Until their paradigm changes, there will only ever be two groups of people playing fighting games:

1) The people who understand the kind of investment a fighting game represents, those who have a plan for where they want to go with their skill level and strive to achieve it, regardless of hours played, technical prowess, or social consideration.

2) Everyone else.
So its not a fighting game if someone manages to play it reasonably well because they find found something they enjoy about it rather than because they were committed to some arduous process of dedication and self sacrifice?

Tripon

That's why Daigo has been practicing against Zatos like Taitsu. He was kind of laughing when he told everyone that he would be fighting Ogawa. Wonder why there isn't a MCZ next to Daigo's name.

Bonchan is also confirmed to be going to the Malaysian ranking event.

Well, more gatekeeping by one of the heavy hitters.

Bizazedo

fml

I do. Carry on, Lord Haunts. :).

Calm down, it'll be fine.

joe2187

Banned
They just announced Battletoads character (Rash) for Killer instinct Available today along with KI season 3 starting march

kirblar

KI for PC in March!

Not sure if that's a good release date. I mean, trying to compete with SFV? Really?
I don't think it's that- I think it's the PC version that's causing the time gap.

Explains why multiple guest characters were mentioned- they'll use them to fill the content gap.

Zissou

I think the approach they've taken with the SFV cast is smart. Visually familiar characters say to more casual players that this is still street fighter makes people comfortable, while the reworked playstyles (under the hood stuff) keep it interesting to more dedicated fighting game players- i.e., I didn't care about dic in SF4, but his SFV iteration looks much more interesting.

So its not a fighting game if someone manages to play it reasonably well because they find found something they enjoy about it rather than because they were committed to some arduous process of dedication and self sacrifice?

Solving problems and working stuff out in fighters is fun! Problem solving/personal improvement does not have to = joyless arduous work.

notworksafe

Solving problems and working stuff out in fighters is fun! Problem solving/personal improvement does not have to = joyless arduous work.

Exactly. If the game is good, then playing to improve will be enjoyable.

fml

As long as Urien, Mika, and Guile and/or Remy make it in eventually I'm happy. I'm content to wait while I play Cammy.

notworksafe

I thought it was the publisher who could approve the emulation, which would be Capcom. Though who knows what kooky ass deal they made with Disney.

joe2187

Banned
I thought it was the publisher who could approve the emulation, which would be Capcom. Though who knows what kooky ass deal they made with Disney.

No deals, simply the licenses expired and either Capcom gave up any plans to renew or the deal offered to renew them by the new owners DISNEY simply wasn't appealing (or worth it)

ShinMaruku

I've lost faith in that Siliconera rumor after Vega was announced.

I never had faith in that one. When they went hella expected with Urien and Karen and R Mika, I said,
977.gif

Doa stuffs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IatVJjB6zs4
Dunks are the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UheXGTCtnRY
Momiji is mah trap queen

Zissou

Why are people up in arms about SF2 characters vs SF3 characters?

-People like to be up in arms about things.
-People like to out-obscure other people by pining for characters they found on wikis.
-The extent of many people's knowledge of fighters is having watched the Daigo parry clip 100 times.
-Creepo dudes need their schoolgirlz.
-Oro is cool.
<-only legit reason

alstein

Some folks like the SF3 cast.

The aesthetics of an older version can appeal - for example, I think KOF98's cast with its sports heroes and pimp oldschool bosses are a lot cooler than the lolis and emo fire dudes of 2k2.

KI Season 3- seems like they're going to run it right into the SF5 juggerneat. Might not hurt it on XB1, but I can see it really hurting on PC unless the SF5 PC port is terrible.

ShinMaruku

Lucky D always looked like a fop to me TBH. Then again KOF always been hit and Miss. Sometimes they have Yuri and Mai and Shermie, then they go some odd place and have the Korean goofballs that kill me.

Clawww

Hitbox got here today. So nice. The only thing I am going to need to adjust to is the amount of wrist space. Was definitely designed with you meant to be playing wrists up. May see about converting my TE2 to this layout just to see how it is with more normal wrist room.

yeah, that's the first thing that struck me about it. in the long run I'm glad there's no wrist rest because the angle of my wrist was probably worse off when using my TE. the smaller buttons took some getting used to. double tapping on 24mm requires some finesse.

the main issue I'm having is not being so clumsy on my left ring finger. I'm still messing stuff on P2 side after owning it for a while, lol.

Probably because they're tired of seeing the same faces over and over and over and over and over.

When a new game comes around, it makes perfect sense for people to want to see stuff they haven't seen a million times already.

And, SF3 characters aren't "obscure" any more. It's not 1997. How many SF3 characters are now in USF4? How many SF3 moves have crept into all sorts of games, now? Daigo parry was in which game, again? People know what SF3 is now.

Sayad

Lucky D always looked like a fop to me TBH. Then again KOF always been hit and Miss. Sometimes they have Yuri and Mai and Shermie, then they go some odd place and have the Korean goofballs that kill me.
SNK as a whole is generally on point with their female characters. Save for the lesser used AoF females.

Top Bottom