• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 29 - Jul 5 | Frauds Among U.S.

Sayah

Luckily for me, gaming isn't doomed since my interest in franchises are pretty spread out. So even if one series dies or goes bad, I should still at least have something. And I guess there's OT community threads that I like to frequent.

I've tried a lot of different IPs. Most of them bored me. Games such as Uncharted series, Resident Evil sequels, Tomb Raider, etc. are good for the quick, momentary thrills that last for the 10 to 20 hour campaign but there isn't much else beyond that for me. Stuff like TTT2 is what really provides me with long-term gaming commitment where I can spend hundreds of hours. But with Tekken 7 already being surrounded with so much hate, I don't know how gaming future will be like for me. Literally no other fighting game system makes me as engrossed in the gameplay as Tekken (and I've tried MvC3, SFIV, BlazBlue, P4A, Skullgirls, DoA, SoulCalibur, Virtua Fighter, and more). Not an attempt to downplay other series but it's just my personal preference.

Dahbomb

I've tried a lot of different IPs. Most of them bored me. Games such as Uncharted series, Resident Evil sequels, Tomb Raider, etc. are good for the quick, momentary thrills that last for the 10 to 20 hour campaign but there isn't much else beyond that for me. Stuff like TTT2 is what really provides me with long-term gaming commitment where I can spend hundreds of hours. But with Tekken 7 already being surrounded with so much hate, I don't know how gaming future will be like for me. Literally no other fighting game system makes me as engrossed in the gameplay as Tekken (and I've tried MvC3, SFIV, BlazBlue, P4A, Skullgirls, DoA, SoulCalibur, Virtua Fighter, and more). Not an attempt to downplay other series but it's just my personal preference.
It's time to get into DOTA 2 them.

Sayah

It's time to get into DOTA 2 them.

I have a Steam account and gaming PC but seeing people crazily addicted to the game makes me pull away. I want to love a game but not have it become my life. :p

I've never experienced stuff like World of Warcraft for that reason either. Heard enough horror stories.

Dahbomb

I have a Steam account and gaming PC but seeing people crazily addicted to the game makes me pull away. I want to love a game but not have it become my life. :p

I've never experienced stuff like World of Warcraft for that reason either. Heard enough horror stories.
So you don't want the typical 10-20 hour game play experiences yet you don't want the deep long term commitment of other games either (except Tekken)...

Unlucky

CIpkLkxWwAAedlg.jpg

https://twitter.com/pattheflip/status/615414449239932928

Rhapsody

Banned
So in Xrd today, I kept doing proxy OS Ride the Lightning against people. If I'm up close or if they don't have meter to YRC when I'm far away, it's really nice lol

MMO's aren't that bad. Like seriously, the horror stories are from people who have absolutely no self control and are by people who probably don't know how to put the controller down in general.

Dahbomb

There's also a difference between getting addicting to a MMO/most grindy games and being addicted to a competitive multiplayer game. The reward feedback is different for those games. It's easier to get addicted to MMOs simply because the mechanics to get there are easy. It's harder to get addicted to multiplayer games because you first need that rush of a close victory and that is gated behind a basic skill requirement.

You are probably already "addicted" to Tekken, you just don't know it yet.

Sayah

So you don't want the typical 10-20 hour game play experiences yet you don't want the deep long term commitment of other games either (except Tekken)...

No. I want both things.
I'll enjoy the Uncharted games, for instance, but once the campaign is over, that's it. I won't replay the game on a harder difficulty. I don't really care for the TPS multiplayer since there's not much depth involved in it.

But more importantly, I want long-term commitment to keep my interest in gaming alive. Something with an intriguing and complex gameplay system that I can unravel on my own. With TTT2, for example, I've played well over 1,000 hours but that's over the span of the almost three years since it released. I won't play Tekken for 8 hours straight and basically most often try to limit my gaming time to 2-3 hours in a day. I want to keep it that way.

Let me be very clear in saying I have absolutely zero experience with a lot of the popular PC titles including Dota 2 and WoW. I so far have simply not touched them because based on hear say, I've heard how addictive they can become with people playing literally 8 hours or more straight and forgetting life. I know when I get addicted to entertainment, it's hard to stop. I've previously watched 275 episodes of a TV show in 3-4 days (skimmed through some of it though). I can't afford to be that unproductive. I need something good that I can work on at my own pace. TTT2 has been perfect for that so far. I'm addicted to it in the sense that I keep coming back to it and keep playing it but not in a way that I'm forgetting everything else in life. I don't know if that makes sense.

Dahbomb

There are horror stories for every kind of game. There are people who used to get addicted to Tekken too. DOTA is the same way, it's really up to the player how addicted they want to be.

But what you describe as what you want in a game, DOTA covers that to a tee.

But more importantly, I want long-term commitment to keep my interest in gaming alive. Something with an intriguing and complex gameplay system that I can unravel on my own.

You can play the game an hour a day for years and still be unraveling more stuff each time you play it.

Since you have 0 experience in these types of games and like you said, you would lose interest in gaming if Tekken fails then I would say this would be the best time for you to try to branch out of your comfort zone.

Sayah

MMO's aren't that bad. Like seriously, the horror stories are from people who have absolutely no self control and are by people who probably don't know how to put the controller down in general.

There are horror stories for every kind of game. There are people who used to get addicted to Tekken too. DOTA is the same way, it's really up to the player how addicted they want to be.

But what you describe as what you want in a game, DOTA covers that to a tee.

You can play the game an hour a day for years and still be unraveling more stuff each time you play it.

Since you have 0 experience in these types of games and like you said, you would lose interest in gaming if Tekken fails then I would say this would be the best time for you to try to branch out of your comfort zone.

In that case, I will give it a try.

Will provide my feedback (if I remember to).

In that case, I will give it a try.

Will provide my feedback (if I remember to).

If you're looking for something other than WoW, highly recommend Final Fantasy XIV. Its 20 bucks on Steam and comes with a month free of subscription on purchase, plays great on PS4 (though a little more expensive) if you're into that, and is a great introduction into the genre.

Don't even need to worry about Heavensward expansion since that's really deep endgame content.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170255486]Probably the highest degrade in quality over the years of any thread on gaf.[/QUOTE]

Not a big SteamGAF follower I take it...

Meanwhile what is the word on Blazblue for PS4? I'm assuming no PS3 stick support?

kirblar

There's also a difference between getting addicting to a MMO/most grindy games and being addicted to a competitive multiplayer game. The reward feedback is different for those games. It's easier to get addicted to MMOs simply because the mechanics to get there are easy. It's harder to get addicted to multiplayer games because you first need that rush of a close victory and that is gated behind a basic skill requirement.

You are probably already "addicted" to Tekken, you just don't know it yet.
Interestingly, there appears to be a feedback/reward mechanism unique to competitive games in male players: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0100318 Which....explains a lot, assuming the study can be replicated.

Sayah

If you're looking for something other than WoW, highly recommend Final Fantasy XIV. Its 20 bucks on Steam and comes with a month free of subscription on purchase, plays great on PS4 (though a little more expensive) if you're into that, and is a great introduction into the genre.

Don't even need to worry about Heavensward expansion since that's really deep endgame content.

I do have a friend that plays FFXIV a lot actually. I'll try to look into it but will give Dota 2 a try first since it's F2P anyway.

Anne

I'm addicted to fighting games, no way to get some of the feelings from the higher level moments elsewhere.

No legacy stick support in ASW games on PS4

Jazz-ism

Banned
I'm addicted to fighting games, no way to get some of the feelings from the higher level moments elsewhere.

EXACTLYYYYY

not really true either, as I'm sure high level sc2 dota etc have similar feels, but fighting games have an edge/attitude that separates itself ffrom other competitive games we would compare it to.fighters to me are faster paced, less forgiving, and have a stronger offline component for their scenes than do most other titles I feel

Sayah

No legacy stick support in ASW games on PS4

I agree. These higher level moments when you're feeling intense pressure or playing out mind games and creatively strategizing is really what makes fighting games exciting. Just the idea that two different minds are fiercely going at it with each trying to outwit the other is very appealing. You literally have to make decisions on the spot during fast-paced action combat and adapt your gameplay style to everchanging circumstances. I love this genre.

Interestingly, there appears to be a feedback/reward mechanism unique to competitive games in male players: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0100318 Which....explains a lot, assuming the study can be replicated.

Interesting study.

Since DeeJay won't be in Sf5 most likely, i have this hope for retooled Honda.

Bigger model, more imposing. Take the old motion for hands away. Turn into rhis rekka type thing, where there is this flurry off hands, then there is levels of rushing foward with them.

Piccoro

Yo guys what's up? Great banner!

Just a friendly reminder: you can get Guilty Gear Xrd PS4 for free through the Japanese PSPlus next month...

shaowebb

Here it is again...

VSXHDb3.jpg

...also for what its worth I respect Arcana Heart for the Arcana's and for the gimmick of a homing dash button. Lots of potential for fun with both mechanics.

jerry1594

Since DeeJay won't be in Sf5 most likely, i have this hope for retooled Honda.

Bigger model, more imposing. Take the old motion for hands away. Turn into rhis rekka type thing, where there is this flurry off hands, then there is levels of rushing foward with them.
Lol there won't be a honda. But in the small possibility that he is maybe they'll make him actually fat and not a lumpy freak since they seem to be into that now.

alstein

Aren't alts of banned accounts also banned? :p

I'm not obsessed with him - I haven't thought about him until someone posted his name. However, one of the reasons I applied for a NeoGAF account was to escape losers with nothing better to due than troll all day with minimal consequences (not to mention any forums in particular!). When I see that one of those people have migrated here, it's just an "ick" moment for me. Like when a shitty coworker somehow ends up following you between jobs, or something.

Same reason I came here. Getting a death threat from a mod at another forum was the last straw when it came to most FGC forums, and why I started coming here for the FG stuff.

ICKE

Banned
Oh man watching the salty sweet was great. Felt sorry for Alt, I know the feeling.

Ibuki is so fucking cheap. He might prepare for EVO but you can't defend against that.

Top Bottom