• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary

sample05.jpg

ff7pcmodded.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
I'm not sure about this. I've seen PC mods with the battle models used on the field. It looked pretty bad to be honest.
Well yeah it would - that's forcing two artstyles together. I mean keep the same artstyle for the in-the-field characters, just doing it at a higher resolution. Make it look like they did in the CG movies that kept that artstyle. Less edges and none of that able-to-see-all-the-joints business. People might then even be able to tell Bugenahafnaowfaowfjaowifj isn't floating, but sitting on a ball that levitates.

edit - Oh sweet tittyfucking christ, Shadow; why would you post that? It is hideous.

I didn't even know it existed until reading a SA LP, and for all of these years I treated it as something players was just supposed to infer.
Link that motherfucker. I'm pretty sure I've seen the document in question but it's been so long I can't be positive.

StuBurns

Banned
No middle ground is going to work, it needs to be completely redone. It's all over the place in presentation, and those low res 2D backgrounds, it's a mess for 'porting' with some touch ups.

Suairyu

Banned
No middle ground is going to work, it needs to be completely redone. It's all over the place in presentation, and those low res 2D backgrounds, it's a mess for 'porting' with some touch ups.
Hence why my suggestion was re-render the same backgrounds in higher resolution, if they still have the original 3D data assets (they don't).

edit - a good example is if you can get your hands on the PC version of VIII (definitive version!). The backgrounds and CG movies were rendered at DVD resolution, rather than typical PSX resolution. Looks nice.

Hence why my suggestion was re-render the same backgrounds in higher resolution, if they still have the original 3D data assets (they don't).

they would still look bad. Many of ff7 backgrounds are truly early 3d. Unlike the sequels, which still hold up very well.

They would have to redo alot. I dont think it would work.

images

I really think this would be the best style to use for a full 3D remake. And probably a lot easier to create than the realistic AC style.

StuBurns

Banned
Why does your suggestion end with a confirmation it can't be done?

I do think VII will be remade at some point. I think V and VI will come to the portables, then they'll do VII for the consoles. No idea what it would be, but they are ultimately slaves to their audience, and it's what everyone has been begging for.

Suairyu

Banned
they would still look bad. Many of ff7 backgrounds are truly early 3d. Unlike the sequels, which still hold up very well.

They would have to redo alot. I dont think it would work.
I honestly don't think it's early enough to be ugly. They were artistically well done, which is all that matters to me. I have no problem running old 3D games at higher resolution on my modern PC either.

I'm just saying, it'd be nice to be able to play the PSX games with a decent IQ without having to run them on a tube TV.

Why does your suggestion end with a confirmation it can't be done?
Because it is an ideal-world suggestion, not a realistic one. If Square-Enix was actually long-sighted enough to keep those assets on archive somewhere I'll eat anchovies. I fucking hate anchovies.

Suairyu

Banned
Cheers. Yeah, I've read them before. Can't quite remember what was up with all the black-cloaked people anymore. It made sense at the time I think.

After the VII tech demo fans aren't going to accept anything less than realistic AC style =/.
There is nothing realistic about AC's style. It's just stylised in a different way. For the record, I think it's a good stylisation, I just don't think it would be a good fit for Final Fantasy VII. The Bahamut fight when all the colourful characters of the old team return is all the proof anyone would need of that.

Valnen

This is FFVII, AC is not.

That is concept art, not FFVII.

It is not your place to say who true fans are, either.

That said, Dissidia comes close enough to that style of art to make you happy and I'd take Dissidia style art for a remake. A huge amount of other fans might not, though.

StuBurns

Banned
That VII trailer looked crap I think, this horrible grey oppressive look. I guess it's true to the vision of VII, but it's not pleasing to the eye. AC looks much nicer.

That is concept art, not FFVII.

It is not your place to say who true fans are, either.

It's concept art that were used to create the in-game models and the CG models.

Preferring the models from some third rate movie that barely encapsulates the original art and world is bad, and thus people asking those over the original aren't true fans of the original they are fans of AC.

Valnen

It's concept art that were used to create the in-game models and the CG models.
Which ended up looking almost nothing like the concept art thanks to hardware limitations.
Preferring the models from some third rate movie that barely encapsulates the original art and world is bad, and thus people asking those over the original aren't true fans of the original they are fans of AC.

Again, that's not your place to decide. Maybe they loved the gameplay and story and music of FFVII but not the horrible graphics.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Again, that's not your place to decide. Maybe they loved the gameplay and story and music of FFVII but not the horrible graphics.

I loved everything about the game at the time. I also don't think AC looked bad. I see no problem with some AC model influence in a remake, not that everything has to be as dark and grey.

I may not be a TruFF7Fan™ though.

RazorEdge

Banned
It is without a doubt one of my favourite games of all time!

But what always "scared" me was the start sound of the random battles...I started a replay some months ago and it didn't change. :)

I can't be the only one?! ^^

Pretty sure even Nomura said he doesn't like the original chibi art he did for FFVII and that FFVIII was the first time he could express his "true" art style.

nlzjUl.jpg

OMG so kewl! he looks like Neo!!

AC characters are good in the grey boring world on AC, not the more steampunk influenced FFVII world.

Pretty sure even Nomura said he doesn't like the original chibi art he did for FFVII and that FFVIII was the first time he could express his "true" art style.

That must explain why his character art sucks after VII for the most part.

Suairyu

Banned
It's been argued in this thread already, but much of the storytelling comes from the artstyle. The chibi, SNES-sprites as 3D models look. You'd be doing much more than 3D model swap - you'd have to rip out entire sequences, re-write key moments and generally do a lot to adjust tone.

FFVII had a happy-go-lucky tone, super-deformed-anime-adventure-time!!!! tone. That's what made the scary, the oppressive, the hurtful and the depressing moments have so much impact. You couldn't do that with the AC look. The end result would not be an updated version of the game they enjoyed, but a brand new game that uses the original as inspiration. If people still like that, so be it, but it doesn't do to pretend it'd be a simple change.

jaxword

Fun Fact: Nomura did the FF6 chibi art that was the basis for the sprites.

In a way, he is responsible for the look of the FF6 characters that most people grew up on--no one saw the original Amano art until the internet.

One of those facts lost in the "Nomura ruined FF" rageouts.

Suairyu

Banned
Fun Fact: Nomura did the FF6 chibi art that was the basis for the sprites.

In a way, he is responsible for the look of the FF6 characters that most people grew up on--no one saw the original Amano art until the internet.

One of those facts lost in the "Nomura ruined FF" rageouts.
Is he responsible for the switch of Tina's/Terra's hair from blonde to green, as well?

jaxword

Is he responsible for the switch of Tina's/Terra's hair from blonde to green, as well?

I can't confirm that yet. I suspect the answer is yes, however, as the ONLY official artwork of her with green hair is Nomura's SD, all of Amano's is blonde.

Click for large:

Suairyu

Banned
I can't confirm that yet. I suspect the answer is yes, however, as the ONLY official artwork of her with green hair is Nomura's SD, all of Amano's is blonde
Aren't the profile pictures in the menus digitised Amano art? She has green hair there, too.

Actiss

So I've been playing FF7 on my PS3 using the original discs, and for some reason some of the sounds effects are really... off. The best (worst?) example of this is when using a character's limit break in battle. The sound doesn't sound correct at all compared to a PS1/PS2. Is it the same way in the downloadable PSN version?

This video has the sound effect that I'm referring to:
!-MAJOR SPOILER WARNING FOR THOSE FEW WHO HAVE NOT PLAYED THE GAME-!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNdShIAChIY (The battle begins around 3:40)

So I've been playing FF7 on my PS3 using the original discs, and for some reason some of the sounds effects are really... off. The best (worst?) example of this is when using a character's limit break in battle. The sound doesn't sound correct at all compared to a PS1/PS2. Is it the same way in the downloadable PSN version?

This video has the sound effect that I'm referring to:
!-MAJOR SPOILER WARNING FOR THOSE FEW WHO HAVE NOT PLAYED THE GAME-!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNdShIAChIY (The battle begins around 3:40)

I don't remember the limit breaks sounding different. I bought it on PSN but I don't see why it would make a difference. Same game being played on the same emulator.

FWIW, I think the emulation of the title improved when they put the game on PSN. I remember playing the FFVII disc on my ps3 around 2008 and noticed severe slowdown with KOTR summon. That doesn't happen anymore, on disc or PSN.

jaxword

Aren't the profile pictures in the menus digitised Amano art? She has green hair there, too.

Yeah, the profile art has her green, but there's no Amano art that matches it. These are the closest:

3RmJ5.jpg

XistW.jpg

Xzoj7.jpg

So I suspect it was recolored when it was digitized to match the sprite.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You know what really works for me during the death scene? It's how the music continues unbroken throughout the Jenova battle, the level up screen, and so on.

Suairyu

Banned
So I suspect it was recolored when it was digitized to match the sprite.
Goddamn... just sent me on an Amano art spree. Some of his non-FF stuff is so achingly beautiful it makes me a little weepy. Not many artists evoke that much feeling in me.

You know what really works for me during the death scene? It's how the music continues unbroken throughout the Jenova battle, the level up screen, and so on.
It's a common technique, but apparently Nintendo forgot that when making Skyward Sword. So many moments ruined by the "you got an important item!" music-bite breaking up the scene.

edit - infact, this topic now has me wanting to replay VI and VII. I have other games to play unfortunately. Xenoblade is sitting in my Wii but I haven't even fired it up for the first time yet.

Actiss

I don't remember the limit breaks sounding different. I bought it on PSN but I don't see why it would make a difference. Same game being played on the same emulator.

FWIW, I think the emulation of the title improved when they put the game on PSN. I remember playing the FFVII disc on my ps3 around 2008 and noticed severe slowdown with KOTR summon. That doesn't happen anymore, on disc or PSN.

Perhaps the PSN release has its own improved emulator?

Either way, I don't really want to repurchase the game since I already own the discs (black label with "masterp ece" typo, too!).

jaxword

Guys, GUYS! Quit waving your manhoods over which art style, AC or original, would be better for the remake.

I've worked out the TRUE FF7 FAN'S way to remake FF7: All Amano art.

cOAxq.jpg

cn97y.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't believe people like that crap.

I really agree. I like Amano art for the logos, and his original character sketches sometimes appeal to me...but Nomura's character art made a lot more sense for the game. And his "environment/world" stuff just looks so dreadful.

Final Fantasy has incredible lead artists now.

It looks like he is riding Umaro.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
For those who keep being outraged by the thought of an AC-style FF7, were you that put off by that PS3 tech demo? It looked that 'wrong' to you?

Blablurn

after reading this whole thread... i came to the conclusion that i dont want a remake anymore. FFVII is fine as it is.

jaxword

What's interesting about Amano's art is that it features a LOT of Red XIII. Almost as if, at one point in development, Cloud and Red had a Master/Dog relationship.

Click for big.

Top Bottom