• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary

Natetan

Someone in the other thread posted pictures of this game, and I just thought how great the game looks, specifically the backgrounds. A remake would be all 3d, and I think it would be missing something. It was part of why I did t like cc.

mattp

the issue isn't so much voice direction as the actual writing and script

if someone read the ff7 dialog out loud, no matter how good the director is, its going to sound fucking ABSURD

no voice acting please

edit: and not just ff7. pretty much any jrpg. i used to love them, but it only worked because of the lack of voice acting

Actiss

This thread has me wanting to play it again too, lol. I have my old discs and have been wondering if the PSN versions are any better quality. I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to since my discs would work fine.

So, after watching some videos on YouTube of the PSN version, there appear to be no emulation issues, sound or otherwise. So I assume that the PSN version includes its own PS1 emulator that is separate from the one used for disc-based games.

Go figure.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So, after watching some videos on YouTube of the PSN version, there appear to be no emulation issues, sound or otherwise. So I assume that the PSN version includes its own PS1 emulator that is separate from the one used for disc-based games.

Go figure.

No.... it should be the exact same emulator...

Were you having problems with your discs? If so: it's the discs themselves, or your disc drive.

Replaying this, and I have to say I have to strongly disagree with anyone saying that this game hasn't aged well visually. I think the graphics now are totally adorable and charming. (In a clumsy sort of way.)

I still cry every night to sleep for not getting a full scale remake though.

Those PSX-era games with prerendered backgrounds have all aged quite well IMO. There's just the right amount of stylisation in the polygonal models.

anaron

This... really isn't true.

Annoying internet hyperbole, yo. :p

Barring the original Kingdom Hearts, XII and Nier, I have not been very impressed with the majority of their output - especially regarding VII.

However, I do consider the ties of it coming down to the dialogue as well, so I probably should've clarified my standing a bit better.

Svafnir

Bought this game on PSN since I never played it on PS1, could only get 1 hour into it until I hated it :(

Just doesen't seem to hold up as well as the SNES ones, most likely due to it being one of the first 3d games it just looks bad and I didn't find the game very engaging.

I really need to give it another try.

I thought the voice acting in FFXII was pretty spectacular, but XIII on the other hand was pretty bad though. So I don't know what to expect from a voiced acted remake of VII.

volpone

Banned
Surely S-E will just use the same voice actors they employed for the Compilation/Kingdom Hearts stuff in this hypothetical remake. The script would need a massive overhaul to work out potential hamminess.

Or just have Nolan North as everyone.

Joei

Go figure.

I popped in the first disc to see how it looked and it didn't look that bad. Maybe I'll give it a playthrough when I have some time.

As for the VII/X connection, this is the first time I've ever heard of it, lol. I never touched X-2 or Dirge though. I wonder if SE will mention this in future games, like the FFX remaster or possibly VII if they ever do a remake or remaster. The concept seems interesting, a bit far-fetched and ill-logical though. I wonder what they were thinking when they said all that.

Also, I didn't find the VA in FF13 that bad, but I thought the script was atrocious. Regardless of how good the VA is, it's going to seem bad with horrible writing. One of the strengths of FF12's VA, which I found incredibly well done, was that it was off of a strong script which seemed "mature." I'm not sure if 7 would benefit from VA because hearing people say some of the dialgue may make it seem ridiculous.

jaxword

I popped in the first disc to see how it looked and it didn't look that bad. Maybe I'll give it a playthrough when I have some time.

As for the VII/X connection, this is the first time I've ever heard of it, lol. I never touched X-2 or Dirge though. I wonder if SE will mention this in future games, like the FFX remaster or possibly VII if they ever do a remake or remaster. The concept seems interesting, a bit far-fetched and ill-logical though. I wonder what they were thinking when they said all that.

"They" weren't thinking anything, it was an offhanded comment by Nojima. He clearly didn't write either game with the intention of joining them, and afterwards just thought it'd make a nice wink and nudge to fans to put some links in. Notice it wasn't until FFx-2 international that a direct link was ever made, and even that was more of an easter egg.

Erigu

"They" weren't thinking anything, it was an offhanded comment by Nojima.
The "Shinra" character and that sub-sub-plot of his regarding the energy of the Farplane makes it a bit more than an offhanded comment during an interview... But yeah, it's hardly a big deal.

Actiss

No.... it should be the exact same emulator...

Were you having problems with your discs? If so: it's the discs themselves, or your disc drive.

Everyone has been saying that they are the same emulators, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The glitches are straight emulation issues. Reminds me of how SNES games didn't sound correctly on older emulators. Also, the YouTube video that I linked back a few pages ago sounds exactly like mine does, and the creator of the video said that they were using the discs in a PS3.

Hobbun

My first memory of FF VII was hearing the announcement that the series would be moving to the Playstation. I was one of those who was outraged, feeling because it started with Nintendo, it should stay there.

But looking at the screenshots in the magazines I was in awe. I remember they were showing a picture of one of the summons. There was no hesitation on my part in buying a PSX when FF VII was released. Once I got into the game, my ‘outrage’ was quickly forgotten.

Loved the game, one of my all time favorites.

Everyone has been saying that they are the same emulators, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The glitches are straight emulation issues. Reminds me of how SNES games didn't sound correctly on older emulators. Also, the YouTube video that I linked back a few pages ago sounds exactly like mine does, and the creator of the video said that they were using the discs in a PS3.

When were those videos recorded?

BocoDragon

When were those videos recorded?

Good question.

FFVII has been up on PSN for years, as well as people using their original discs to play. I haven't heard any issues at all... Unless you mean way back in the early days of PS3 before firmware updates.

Good question.

FFVII has been up on PSN for years, as well as people using their original discs to play. I haven't heard any issues at all... Unless you mean way back in the early days of PS3 before firmware updates.

I mean, were those videos recorded before FFVII was up on PSN? I remember playing the CD on my ps3 back in 2007/8 and there was a severe slowdown with KOTR. I assume the sound glitch was there too, but I don't remember. Then I bought the PSN version and played it and it ran fine, so I assumed the emulation of the title was improved for the PSN release. Similar thing with FFVIII PSN where the battle transitions used to be screwed up. It wouldn't make sense to me that the CD ps1 games and PSone classics run on different emulators.

BocoDragon

I mean, were those videos recorded before FFVII was up on PSN? I remember playing the CD on my ps3 back in 2007/8 and there was a severe slowdown with KOTR. I assume the sound glitch was there too, but I don't remember. Then I bought the PSN version and played it and it ran fine, so I assumed the emulation of the title was improved for the PSN release. Similar thing with FFVIII PSN where the battle transitions used to be screwed up. It wouldn't make sense to me that the CD ps1 games and PSone classics run on different emulators.

Well I'm pretty sure the answer is that they do not run on different emulators....

There simply are more FFVI and Chrono Trigger fans than FFVII fans. ...At least among the people who can read Japanese and are willing to translate it in their sparetime.

Zoe

There simply are more FFVI and Chrono Trigger fans than FFVII fans. ...At least among the people who can read Japanese and are willing to translate it in their sparetime.

Isn't it possible to extract the script for SNES games? I'd imagine that would make it easier.

Andrea

Neo Member
Good ol' FFVII. It's considered to be on the same plane as Ocarina of Time, but never even saw a single re-release unlike OoT.

While it's not my favorite Final Fantasy (I rank VIII, IV, and X ahead of it), it's still a great game that did so much for its genre. I'll always think fondly of it.

Aeana

Might that have something to do with the tools available?

Certainly. It's the result of first-year Japanese students hearing about how "terrible" Woolsey's translations are, thinking they can do better since omg, kuso means SHIT idiot and Marle REALLY said she wants to eat crepes, not ICE CREAM. woolseysux. That doesn't mean it isn't regrettable.

Septimius

My brother had gotten CD1 from a friend, either because he had gotten two CD1's and didn't realize there were 3 CDs in total, or something like that.

Anyway, I had CD1 for years. I didn't really dare play it, because I thought the reactor part was scary (I was really not old at this point), and I'd jump every time a battle would start. I think I had only ever played up to the first boss.

Then, one day, me and my friend were looking for something to play, and he said "why don't we play that!" I went "I don't know, it's kind of scary". Needless to say, we started playing it, and we really put a lot of time into it. My fondest memory is probably finishing CD1, all "NOOOOOOO" and then it says "insert disc 2" and it goes something like this:

"WHERE'S DISC 2?"
"I DON'T HAVE IT, I ONLY EVER HAD 1"
"ARE YOU SURE??"
"YEEES"
"FUUUU"

and we ran out and bought it right there and then, because we just HAD to continue.

Lindbergh

Looking back on FFVII's text. The multiple text boxes were huge step up from the SNES-era.
Having multiple dynamically-sized windows around simultaneously made conversations and events more lively than before (the subway scene for example). Consider that way back to the first installment, character text was limited to a large non-scrolling, slowly-appearing window.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
It's sort of ridiculous looking back on it, but damned if this commercial didn't get my 14 year old self psyched up:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9pF9BJQBLo

I can remember my folks getting me a PS1 and FFVII for Christmas...and completely forgetting about the memory card. Middle-class problems. I wound up playing the game for about 4 hours before eventually caving in and turning it off.

Next day, I had my mom drop me off at Target and I used whatever birthday/etc money I scrounged up to buy one of those nifty transparent blue Sony memory cards...

102270754-260x260-0-0_Sony+Memory+Card+For+PlayStation+Island+Blue.jpg

RazorEdge

Banned
Oh Boy, just finished the story of sephiroth and cloud after you left midgar. Wanted to cross the swamp with my chocobo and died in a fight with this swamp thing.
Forgot to save and now I have to do this flashback all over again...

Top Bottom