• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The minigames are what made the original FF7 special (among many other elements), they are absolutely not padding and the execution is excellent. People looking for a simple action game are not in the right place here.
Agreed. The original game had TONS of this, that people just seem to have mostly forgotten about.

Chocobo racing, Fort Condor, escape from Midgar (and virtual escape from Midgar), snowboarding, arm wrestling, 3D battler, super dunk, shooting coaster, that submarine game, gym squats, etc...

The minigames are what made the original FF7 special (among many other elements), they are absolutely not padding and the execution is excellent. People looking for a simple action game are not in the right place here.
I've rarely seen so many fun minigames. Mario Party is has like 5 good ones out of 3000 and Rebirth is at around 17 out of 20.

Doomtrain

Very strongly disagree. OG VII has lots of minigames — too many already, I’d argue — but Rebirth has far, far more. I also very strongly disagree that they’re “what make the game special.” The characters, the setting, the graphics (for the time), the music, the core gameplay, and more are all things that make the game special. If the minigames contribute to that for you, then awesome, but they’re just one variable.

When there are large segments of time when the game is putting more emphasis on minigames than on its core gameplay, I will absolutely call that padding. Like Remake, this is 1/3 of a 30 hour game that they’re blowing up into it’s own 50+ hour game. Padding is part of the equation.

Nydius

Here’s the thing though, there were LARGE amounts of space between those in the original FF7. In Midgar, you only had the squats and G-Bike game. Then you didn’t have another mini game until Junon (the parade). Then you didn’t run into another until Gold Saucer where most of the ones on your list resided as optional one-off diversions (except Chocobo racing). After that you’d just have the snowboarding mini game.

Compare that to Rebirth where it seems you can’t go five minutes without running into or being introduced to a new mini game, especially the first 25-30 hours. I can absolutely understand why people feel like Rebirth is padded with mini games because it’s just a constant barrage of them, unlike the original where they were spread out and gave a nice break to the pacing.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Here’s the thing though, there were LARGE amounts of space between those in the original FF7. In Midgar, you only had the squats and G-Bike game. Then you didn’t have another mini game until Junon (the parade). Then you didn’t run into another until Gold Saucer where most of the ones on your list resided as optional one-off diversions (except Chocobo racing). After that you’d just have the snowboarding mini game.

Compare that to Rebirth where it seems you can’t go five minutes without running into or being introduced to a new mini game, especially the first 25-30 hours. I can absolutely understand why people feel like Rebirth is padded with mini games because it’s just a constant barrage of them, unlike the original where they were spread out and gave a nice break to the pacing.

I routinely go 3-4 hours between Minigames aside from two points in the story, both of which are in the same region. It also takes me 40-50 hours to 100% complete FF7 OG. It takes me 90 and I haven't even reached the halfway point of FF7Rebirth.

Nydius

It takes me 90 and I haven't even reached the halfway point of FF7Rebirth.

I don’t know what you’re arguing here. I finished the game on normal with 87 hours played and the only unfinished side quest being Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop so if you’re at 90 hours and “not even halfway” you’re inadvertently proving the point that the game is overly padded with mini games and checklist fluff.

rofif

Banned

I’ve not played the og but in rebirth I found it really tiresome how golden saucer got like 10 mini games which are mandatory to at least try.
And it would be fine but there was just a short moment ago a whole chapter dedicated to mini games which was fine as relax chapter with beach and all. That was fun. But then they crank it way too much with golden saucer and after

rofif

Banned
Goes I am in ch11. My grills are all 1 bar from full circle. How do I make sure tifa gets it. I skipped some side quests. Which are hers?

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda disappointed there's no reward or trophy for defeating all the opponents in Queen's Blood. Final boss' deck was scary but I managed to shut 'em down pretty quickly.

Edit:
On the subject of photo mode, I'm shocked that they didn't improve it at all from Intergrade. It's just as restrictive and barebones. Very disappointing because this game is beautiful and deserves a good photo mode.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I don’t know what you’re arguing here. I finished the game on normal with 87 hours played and the only unfinished side quest being Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop so if you’re at 90 hours and “not even halfway” you’re inadvertently proving the point that the game is overly padded with mini games and checklist fluff.

Or I am taking my time and enjoying the game and messing around with builds and photo mode. I know, mindblowing stuff.

jorgejjvr

I must be getting old lol. Its feeling like a lot.

From stuff to do in chocobos, to all the different things related to chadley (thats a lot on its own) to side quests, to the open world, upgrades, weapons and armors, materia, skill trees, mini games, to combat (every character fights differently, ATB, limit break, synergy, summons, when to block, when to dodge etc etc). My brain is having a hard time keeping up xD. And when im learning 1 character or 1 system, it feels like something else comes up.

Anyone else had a overwhelming feeling as well? Im sure it all clicks with time, but right now it feels like a lot.

From stuff to do in chocobos, to all the different things related to chadley (thats a lot on its own) to side quests, to the open world, upgrades, weapons and armors, materia, skill trees, mini games, to combat (every character fights differently, ATB, limit break, synergy, summons, when to block, when to dodge etc etc). My brain is having a hard time keeping up xD. And when im learning 1 character or 1 system, it feels like something else comes up.

Anyone else had a overwhelming feeling as well? Im sure it all clicks with time, but right now it feels like a lot.

Definitely feel this. I keep forgetting to use synergy skills and abilities. The enemies also feel pretty aggressive and use a lot of unblockable attacks, which doesn't help you take your time to learn all the mechanics. It does get better though, finally feels like I've figured out the menus and flow of the battles after Junon.

jorgejjvr

Definitely feel this. I keep forgetting to use synergy skills and abilities. The enemies also feel pretty aggressive and use a lot of unblockable attacks, which doesn't help you take your time to learn all the mechanics. It does get better though, finally feels like I've figured out the menus and flow of the battles after Junon.
Man, glad im not alone

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There is something relaxing about playing piano with Tifa while there is bar fight going in the background.

rofif

Banned
I am on the other hand not using block. wtf am I supposed to know when to block?! The action is so frantic, everything explodes with particles and enemies strike from all directions. And if you don’t do perfect block, it’s too big damage to be worth a risk.
Red is completely unplayable as he relies on perfect blocking.

Boneless

It does not really matter as most minigame content is completely optional, but, if you want to make a comparison to the original you need to consider that by default this game is around three times the size of the original for the same section. In other words, having 3 times the number of minigames as the original would keep the ratio consistent.

It does not really matter as most minigame content is completely optional, but, if you want to make a comparison to the original you need to consider that by default this game is around three times the size of the original for the same section. In other words, having 3 times the number of minigames as the original would keep the ratio consistent.

I was going to say the exact same thing but I just couldn't be bothered lol. Proportionally the increase in mini-games make sense, some are inadvertantly revealing they never played OG FF VII which is fine but all of us who *did* know just how many mini-games there were, it is what it is.

Last edited:

ToadMan

If someone is enjoying the activities, then they're not "fluff".

The game doesn't make you grind - you're welcome to indulge or not.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chapter 13

Alright, we're back to the bullshit padding from VII remake. Disappointingly so, as the story is reaching a peak.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I am on the other hand not using block. wtf am I supposed to know when to block?! The action is so frantic, everything explodes with particles and enemies strike from all directions. And if you don’t do perfect block, it’s too big damage to be worth a risk.
Red is completely unplayable as he relies on perfect blocking.

There’s materia that helps extend the timing window for blocking

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
going to double-dip on PC if this mod makes it to Rebirth:

"What the fuck is this?"

1594-1710214167-1821386425.png

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Know exactly how you feel. Every time I've returned to it since launch I get this rare feeling of being overwhelmed to the point where I tell myself Im just not ready to fully take the plunge into a journey this large and to come back when Im really ready. Shit dude it took me a year to finish Remake. This is a Xenoblade sized experience through and through. Also it doesnt help that I just finished Banishers and a giant map with a bunch of checklist shit to complete isnt really my bag at the moment. Im at the age where I need to carefully balance out the large, expansive open shit with smaller, linear stuff and this is absolutely one of those situations unfortunately.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

Anyone else had an overwhelming feeling as well? Im sure it all clicks with time, but right now it feels like a lot.
It’s not about being old but more like bad game design and this game suffers plenty from it. I swear I’m almost done with Corel Region and the last hours are among the worst I’ve ever experienced in a game! Padding padding padding for hours and hours and hours…
93 my ass 😂
This game can at times be very good but too many times extremely bad. Highly inconsistent and for me wildly inferior to Remake and even 16 because of it. Unless the next chapters are completely turning things around, my opinion on it will hardly change.

Last edited:
Gameplay-wise, I think the game is great, minus the repetitiveness of the open world segments. The soundtrack is THE most expensive and versatile thing I’ve ever heard.

However: the tone of the game is really bothering me as of Chapter 7.

Yes, OG VII has a lot of silly moments and characters, but the overall atmosphere and tone was far more oppressive and it’s just completely lost here. It feels like there hasn’t been a single serious moment in the game thus far. Almost EVERY SINGLE NPC is overly eccentric. It’s too much. Even the way the Sephiroth clones are handled is very light-hearted.

FUBARx89

Just finished it there. So, spoilers for the game.

What the fuck was with the Red XII voice, I despised it changing to the weebo child voice. Hope they use old grump man voice rather than that in pt 3.

I've never been so cock teased in my life to start chapter 9 and have the glorious weapon attacks music, then didn't see no weapon attack, just some fish having a swim, til that scene which was great.

I like how Shinra execs aren't absolutely inept in this. Scarlett is especially good. The Crimson Mare fight is fantastic.

What's the deal with Rufus? Having them little Cloud headpains when talking to the Wutai black robed bloke.

Aerith's death felt very wierd. I think she died in another timeline which merged into this one so she died? Cause Sephiroth didn't touch her. She's blatantly gonna come back from another timeline or whatever though.

Didn't like the ending boss rush, at all, what are they gonna do for part 3, cause already had a 3 fights in a row with Sephiroth now. Tbf, could of done with him not being the final boss again.

Odin was a quality fight. Having him sound his warning then you manage to push him to pressured is amazing. Most of the bosses are really really good. The only ones I really got clapped off was Odin & Vincent.

Zack Midgar parts where pointless and you can't convince me otherwise, being able to fully skip them if you start from Chapter 1 again reinforces my belief of that.

Overall. I really enjoyed the game, the combat is fantastic. Some phenomonal cutscenes and the majority of the stoy is very good too.

But could do with less mini games (Yes, I'm aware OG had loads too), tone down the eccentric wierdo side characters that look like they've been lifted straight out of Kingdom Hearts.

Edit. Took me about 90 hours on dynamic difficulty, alot of exploring and leaving it running when going for a smoke though, gave up on most the mini games, missing 2 quests one being chocobo racing which I presume locked me out of the final one.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Know exactly how you feel. Every time I've returned to it since launch I get this rare feeling of being overwhelmed to the point where I tell myself Im just not ready to fully take the plunge into a journey this large and to come back when Im really ready. Shit dude it took me a year to finish Remake. This is a Xenoblade sized experience through and through. Also it doesnt help that I just finished Banishers and a giant map with a bunch of checklist shit to complete isnt really my bag at the moment. Im at the age where I need to carefully balance out the large, expansive open shit with smaller, linear stuff and this is absolutely one of those situations unfortunately.
Funny enough, i dont feel this way about xenoblade, there are a lot of systems, but they came slowly over long periods of time

The CG cutscene you see right when you arrive at Upper Junon is so beautiful but then an hour later you get a CG cutscene with the canon firing and it looked kind of ugly with its weird confetti physics, inconsistent framerate, meh lighting, weird bloom effects and filters, and an odd art style for NPC’s

I’m not sure what’s with the CG team when it comes to the Remake trilogy

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s not about being old but more like bad game design and this game suffers plenty from it. I swear I’m almost done with Corel Region and the last hours are among the worst I’ve ever experienced in a game! Padding padding padding for hours and hours and hours…
93 my ass 😂
This game can at times be very good but too many times extremely bad. Highly inconsistent and for me wildly inferior to Remake and even 16 because of it. Unless the next chapters are completely turning things around, my opinion on it will hardly change.
The open world is standard ubisoft copy pasta checklist stuff. I am surprised that they had Zelda as a blueprint and decided to go in a completely western direction. I expect more from Japanese games.

Yes, OG VII has a lot of silly moments and characters, but the overall atmosphere and tone was far more oppressive and it’s just completely lost here. It feels like there hasn’t been a single serious moment in the game thus far. Almost EVERY SINGLE NPC is overly eccentric. It’s too much. Even the way the Sephiroth clones are handled is very light-hearted.
Im glad more people are talking about this. I said the characters were goofy but honestly thats an understatement. Everyone acts like children. Not teenagers. Children high on sugar. The first game was not like this apart from that fat guy. The tone is completely off for a game like this.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The open world is standard ubisoft copy pasta checklist stuff. I am surprised that they had Zelda as a blueprint and decided to go in a completely western direction. I expect more from Japanese games.

Zelda is Ubisoft copy pasta checklist stuff

The only difference is the “Zelda charm”

Same here

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Im glad more people are talking about this. I said the characters were goofy but honestly thats an understatement. Everyone acts like children. Not teenagers. Children high on sugar. The first game was not like this apart from that fat guy. The tone is completely off for a game like this.

Replay the game, the tone is perfectly consistent with the originals

Can someone explain dynamic difficulty? Right now I'm assuming that It's normal mode but with enemy scaling and if you struggle then it jumps down to easy mode or scaling enemies down making them easier to defeat if you keep dying. I know hard mode unlocks after you complete the game.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Cosmo canyon trials are boring as fuck. And what they did to red character is criminal.

Anyway. Game is great all the open world bloat aside as it gets a bit tiresome. Still have some way to go I presume !!!
Can deadzones be adjusted? Seem a bit big on right stick

Btw. Oled users - are you using hgig or dtm? I find switching and using dtm more.
The open world bloat is ok for me, as I do that stuff on my phone via remote play on my breaks at work.

Doomtrain

The original VII has a lot of goofy shit, but the pacing is faster so it's done with sooner. Rebirth pads out the time between major story beats, so comparatively speaking, there's more goofy shit relative to the serious stuff. The overall tone definitely ends up being less bleak because of it.

In Gongaga, still goin' gaga for the game.
The original VII has a lot of goofy shit, but the pacing is faster so it's done with sooner. Rebirth pads out the time between major story beats, so comparatively speaking, there's more goofy shit relative to the serious stuff. The overall tone definitely ends up being less bleak because of it.

Rather than pacing, isn't the first game just much smaller? Smaller than this game alone even but obviously smaller than the remake trilogy.

I'd say their serious stuff is their worst stuff. For some reason Square is doing great at funny and silly character interactions but when they get spooky and meta with fate foolishness like the spectres and Sephiroth smirking at you cause you only killed him like 10 times already, it's cringe.

Can someone explain dynamic difficulty? Right now I'm assuming that It's normal mode but with enemy scaling and if you struggle then it jumps down to easy mode or scaling enemies down making them easier to defeat if you keep dying. I know hard mode unlocks after you complete the game.
Best I can tell it's essentially normal mode, but if you over level it will scale enemies up to your level. I don't think it dynamically goes down in the same way but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom